• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Unboxing Video

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I just bought two pairs of these and they use optical.

I know about the audio extractors, but i'm not thrilled about having to spend more money on something that requires the use of an additional a\c plug, and could possibly introduce lag and interference or simply malfunction. Hoping Neo saves the day.

In that case I was specifically referring to someone using a receiver to power a 5.1 setup, if you have a look at my post above, I'd be fairly confident the Neo will have an optical output if it's a 4K Blu-ray player.

Unfortunately someone has to start phasing out optical cables sooner or later, it's 20 year old tech, looks like it's possibly beginning now. 2x HDMI outputs will need to be standard eventually.

N30RYU

If something they fixed the open-tray problem with the original one and it's lame power and open button layoff.

Behlel

360 Slim added Wifi and HDMI Over the OG (and a Kinect port)

One S has added an IR blaster and a 4K Blu-Ray player

Microsoft are doing it wrong.
Because the old 360 where garbage and they had to do what the competition was doing from day one, the One S have removed the kinect port and I found funny that it's always forgotten.
The difference here is that one have made a console for replace the old one, the other have made a console to reduce the cost of the old one to appeal the mass market (the one that want a cheap product so the one that doesn't have a 4k TV).

I am so happy that Sony has decided to kill off all those stupid lights on the console.

The new design actually looks modern and nice, a big step up from the toy-like design of the original console.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I am so happy that Sony has decided to kill off all those stupid lights on the console.

The new design actually looks modern and nice, a big step up from the toy-like design of the original console.

I..actually think it looks a lot more ergonomic as well.

They cut all the fat and superfluousness

Not sure how you read my post, I never claimed they would outsell Sony in Microsoft's territories, I just said we will see if having what appears to be the better value proposition in the low tier will help them outsell Sony's low tier offering. I still think the Neo is going to be the best selling console unless it is outrageously priced.

Microsoft already has someone kicking their ass in the low tier :- the used market.

Coxy100

Banned
Easy HDD bay access.

PS4ssHDDcover.gif

Unscrews on the back, pulls out the side.

Thanks for that - was wondering how easy it will be if I get the 500GB version (if that's the only one)

Toki767

I'm really happy there's no more glossy parts, although I do think the cover plates of the original were a huge missed opportunity.

Shin-Ra

Because the old 360 where garbage and they had to do what the competition was doing from day one, the One S have removed the kinect port and I found funny that it's always forgotten.
The difference here is that one have made a console for replace the old one, the other have made a console to reduce the cost of the old one to appeal the mass market (the one that want a cheap product so the one that doesn't have a 4k TV).
Microsoft also removed the infra-red Kinect tracking LEDs from the Xbone controller.

W00t. They got rid of the symbols screw when upgrading the HDD. Betrayalton.
No they didn't.

Swass

You know what I hate burst your bubble but you gonna need 4K HDR TV for all your new features. Not just simple 4K tv.... And what makes you think people that capable of buying 4K HDR tv will choose Xbox one S? Or vice versa people that buying xbox one s will buy 4K HDR tv?

Well they offer the other features that were already there also like the hdmi pass through, optical out, ability to use an external hard drive etc. So couple those bullet points with a couple of future proofing features as well in uhd blue ray and hdr and now you have enough ammunition to push someone over who was maybe on the fence especially if they are priced the same.

Agree.
PS4 is not exist in a vacuum. When competition add value to their product, staying the same is as well as reduce value.

I think wapplew quote sums it up perfectly: except not only did the PS4 stay the same, they actually removed a feature in optical out and some are perceiving the PS4 slim as cheap looking.

Like I said if people care about gaming performance then they go Neo, if they don't then other comparisons have to be made and if you take out the gaming advantage the PS4 slim has then the Xbox One S really stands out.

Aceofspades

Banned
I look at this slim model and had to ask, why the hell release a console with LESS features? Then I read a comment on here about Microsoft's continuous price changes on the XBOX and how that surely must effect Sony's marketing.

So could the slim be an aggressive move by Sony? Release a bare bones console which is simply a plug and play machine aimed at the casual market. Could this be a $250 console?

What less features? Simply plug and play? Arn't all consoles like this?

Also MS removed IR blasters from S models, Sony removed Optical port. It has always been like this for slimmer consoles.

Easy HDD bay access.

I know GAF has a lot of love for a replaceable internal drive but the idea still really bugs me: why should I literally throw away 500 gigs of storage if I want to upgrade? I should be able to use both.

That is one tiny console though :) *drool*

Appreciate the mirrored linked! Upon closer inspection, I quite like its design. Simplistic, yet has nice, little touches like the face buttons underneath and on one side of the console. Like others have said, I can see this revision going for $250, which will further monopolize the console market, if so. People like cheap consoles. LOL

onQ123

Looks bulky and clean. Now if only it came with a display ( like 3DS ) so I could take it anywhere....That would be something. PS4VitaSlim.

Yjynx

Well they offer the other features that were already there also like the hdmi pass through, optical out, ability to use an external hard drive etc. So couple those bullet points with a couple of future proofing features as well in uhd blue ray and hdr and now you have enough ammunition to push someone over who was maybe on the fence especially if they are priced the same.

I think wapplew quote sums it up perfectly: except not only did the PS4 stay the same, they actually removed a feature in optical out and some are perceiving the PS4 slim as cheap looking.

Like I said if people care about gaming performance then they go Neo, if they don't then other comparisons have to be made and if you take out the gaming advantage the PS4 slim has then the Xbox One S really stands out.
all those other features except 4K HDR already exist in OG xbox one it still doesn't help. Are people forgetting that this is a gaming machine? gamer are the primary buyer and like you said they have the option of PS neo. Games, power and price are the deciding factor. And market share.

Storm360

Shame about no optical, would have looked into getting this thing otherwise

No optical also means Rocksmith 2014 is pretty much unplayable on this thing. Even Ubisoft's official instructions state not to use HDMI audio

This actually doesn't look half bad at some angles. Still not a fan of the evident cost-cutting design but the "sandwich" shape is quite nice along the sides.

Looks excellent. It has a clean, straight-forward design that really shines when placed vertically.

I'd love to be proven otherwise but I don't think this model is designed to be stood vertically - there's a reason why it's shown lying flat on the front of the box. The original PS4 is shown vertically in almost all marketing materials, even though the stand is sold separately.

Looks bulky and clean. Now if only it came with a display ( like 3DS ) so I could take it anywhere....That would be something. PS4VitaSlim.

I wouldn't be surprised if a third party made one. In some ways this is a return to the PSone era slim.

An anniversary edition/PS1 edition of this would sell like hotcakes.

In that case I was specifically referring to someone using a receiver to power a 5.1 setup, if you have a look at my post above, I'd be fairly confident the Neo will have an optical output if it's a 4K Blu-ray player.

Unfortunately someone has to start phasing out optical cables sooner or later, it's 20 year old tech, looks like it's possibly beginning now. 2x HDMI outputs will need to be standard eventually.

I hear you and I do agree with your post regarding the receiver setup, and also about the Neo likely having optical. I also understand that eventually most things get phased out in favor of a more up to date specification. I just wish that if they are going to phase it out that they would do it between generations, and not when people are buying products that cost hundreds of dollars, are currently in stores, are designed and marketed for use with a PS4, and only operate with an optical audio port. Anyways I'm hoping Neo makes it a non issue, and I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it until we know more. Here's hoping.

The design certainly does grow on you. I didn't much care for it at first but I'm starting to like the minimalist approach.

Now if only there was some gloss :p

ValeYard

Although for some (i.e., receiver owners) optical out is a thing of the past, optical is still the primary input of gaming headsets such as Astro, Turtle Beach, etc. It may be old not supporting the latest codecs, but it's still being used, e.g., also by old receiver owners.

However, it being phased out on a cheaper console isn't new. Remember the Xbox 360 E anyone?

I don't reckon Sony will rely on gaming headset users to either have a receiver (think, e.g., about college dorms) or use a third-party splitter. That's why I'd bet (a small amount of money) that Neo has optical out. I don't think two HDMIs out for receivers and UHD BluRay audio will be a thing for a while yet.

Also, this:
No optical also means Rocksmith 2014 is pretty much unplayable on this thing.

Top Bottom