• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Unboxing Video

DieH@rd

Banned
It truly is amazing how Microsoft was able to flip the script on Sony.. we will just see if it is enough to give Microsoft the edge in their major territories.

lol

And what has MS flippled exactly? Both consoles are getting the slim versinos, with Sony's being [again] smaller and [still] more powerful. Mindshare will continue to stay in Sony's corner, and soon they will release PSVR and Neo.

Popularity of PS4 is not going away anytime soon.

Not sure how you read my post, I never claimed they would outsell Sony in Microsoft's territories, I just said we will see if having what appears to be the better value proposition in the low tier will help them outsell Sony's low tier offering. I still think the Neo is going to be the best selling console unless it is outrageously priced.

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning here. What gives you the idea that Neo will be the best selling console (or even best selling Sony revision) this year?

The Slim is going to wipe the floor with it, given that it's essentially replacing the OG PS4.

wapplew

When compared to the competition it is missing quite a few features.. it makes the console feel bare bones even though it is essentially the same console they have been selling for years now.. and wait until the Neo is a thing.. it is only going to enhance the feeling..

Agree.
PS4 is not exist in a vacuum. When competition add value to their product, staying the same is as well as reduce value.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
BTW for those wondering about Neo having an optical port, I'd say it will depend on whether or not it plays 4K Blu-rays.

Only the latest receivers have pass-through for 4K and HDR signals, so they would probably have to include one, even if it is for compressed sound. Either that or it will have 2x HDMI outputs, one for audio/video and one for just sound.

If it doesn't play 4K Blu-rays then I don't think they will bother with either, but I would be legitimately shocked if it didn't.

Elven_Star

It's a barebones console. all slim/redesign consoles are to change expensive parts with cheaper ones to maximize profit. isn't that the idea?

No, the idea is that there have been advances in technology which allow for a more efficient device in a smaller form factor now. Yes, at a reduced cost for the manufacturer as well, but that doesn't automatically make this a worse device. It's a win-win situation for Sony and the users.

Tarin02543

The leaflets in the unboxing video have pictures of the original PS4.

I still think this might be an elaborate 3D printing hoax.

Shin-Ra

With the power LED lit, standing vertically it should look like this.

PS4ssLED.jpg

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's a barebones console. all slim/redesign consoles are to change expensive parts with cheaper ones to maximize profit. isn't that the idea?

360 Slim added Wifi and HDMI Over the OG (and a Kinect port)

One S has added an IR blaster and a 4K Blu-Ray player

Microsoft are doing it wrong.

Swass

lol

And what has MS flippled exactly? Both consoles are getting the slim versinos, with Sony's being [again] smaller and [still] more powerful. Mindshare will continue to stay in Sony's corner, and soon they will release PSVR and Neo.

Popularity of PS4 is not going away anytime soon.

Microsoft flipped the perception of value.. like I said, once the Neo is released, the gaming power advantage is going to be mostly ignored on the vanilla PS4 and the additional features the Xbox One S offers are really going to stand out.. again this is just in the lower tier.. the Neo is going to kill both offerings if it is readily available and not outrageously priced.

Im so glad this turned out to be real, gives me a bit of hope that Sony will price the NEO around $400. Looks very subtle and reminds me a lot of the ps3 slim v1.0 with the matte finish and such.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Is it..wrong that i actually like the effective uniformity of the thing? Its just a basic box that is slim, presumably far more power efficient with the jump to 16nm, and can fit on your shelf.

As much as i love the light bar and other gimmicks of the original PS4 console, i really like how simple and straight forward this slim is, no fluff at all.

It really does look like a budget unit, especially with the lack of the NEO features, but still has a pretty stylistic appeal in its own way. Sell this thing for 249 and watch it fly off the shelves

Unknown?

God dammit, Sony. This is not how you reveal a console.

Why? It's got the Internet buzzing! I like the look a lot from this video! Looks basic but classy at the same time! Much nicer than the OG. Not sure if if trade for it though.

Yeah that is one pretty underwhelming looking console, looks very cheaply made (well it will be cheap so that makes sense).

I really hope the Neo looks significantly better.

Microsoft flipped the perception of value.. like I said, once the Neo is released, the gaming power advantage is going to be mostly ignored on the vanilla PS4 and the additional features the Xbox One S offers are really going to stand out.. again this is just in the lower tier.. the Neo is going to kill both offerings if it is readily available and not outrageously priced.

While it's true that the perception of value is different, I don't think it'll amount to much in the mass market.

Price plus a combination of mindshare that has accumulated over the past three years for the PS brand will overcome that perception, likely quite easily.

so this is in hong kong or no?

To be fair the ps3 slim feels pretty cheap too in all honesty. Even though I don't mind it for the most part. I only care about the jet engines

Unknown?

Agree.
PS4 is not exist in a vacuum. When competition add value to their product, staying the same is as well as reduce value.

In the end it's all about games though which is why PS4 is doing so hot in the first place. It has way more games and a bigger variety means more types of people want it.

It blows my fucking mind that there exists an unboxing video for an unannounced game console.

I know right.

Some random ass dude is gonna tweet out "hey guys I got a NX, check out my youtube page for a video of it, people say it's a big deal I unno I got it a kmart next to the bed and bath section."

Cc23830

Still waiting for the Neo and Ps VR, its obviously a cert if the slim comes with it that the Neo will come bundled with this revised dualshock right? I really like it.

Swass

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning here. What gives you the idea that Neo will be the best selling console (or even best selling Sony revision) this year?

The Slim is going to wipe the floor with it, given that it's essentially replacing the OG PS4.

I think there are more than enough PS4 owners willing to upgrade that they will sell every Neo unit they produce this year of course assuming it releases this year.. I could be wrong.. especially if the slim gets a price tag of $250 and has more stock available which is likely the case since it is in production .

While it's true that the perception of value is different, I don't think it'll amount to much in the mass market.

Price plus a combination of mindshare that has accumulated over the past three years for the PS brand will overcome that perception, likely quite easily.

Agreed..

Yjynx

When compared to the competition it is missing quite a few features.. it makes the console feel bare bones even though it is essentially the same console they have been selling for years now.. and wait until the Neo is a thing.. it is only going to enhance the feeling..

You know what I hate to burst your bubble but you gonna need 4K HDR TV for all your new features. Not just simple 4K tv.... And what makes you think people that capable of buying 4K HDR tv will choose Xbox one S? Or vice versa people that buying xbox one s will buy 4K HDR tv?

Are you talking about where the leaked console came from? As others deciphered, it was from a Middle East shipment.

plug type is typically what you get from hong kong but I am not sure if they use the same things in other countries, more than likely so middle east would also make sense. I don't know if the HK systems are the same as orther parts of asia though.

plug type is typically what you get from hong kong but I am not sure if they use the same things in other countries, more than likely so middle east would also make sense. I don't know if the HK systems are the same as orther parts of asia though.
It's a type G plug. Used in the UK, Ireland, UAE among others. It was sold in the UK from a UAE shipment.

wapplew

In the end it's all about games though which is why PS4 is doing so hot in the first place. It has way more games and a bigger variety means more types of people want it.

Price too.
People who are waiting to jump in, price matter more than anything. For some region, it's not about choosing between Xbox or PS4, its choosing between cheaper PS4 or more powerful PS4, Xbox was never in the equation, 4K or not.

I do hate to be that guy, but you could get a MASSIVE upgrade to a HDMI receiver with lovely lossless sound for next to nothing, the first ones hit about a decade ago, you could probably even get a new one for less than $100 at this point.

I would take this as an excuse to upgrade, if you are using a receiver to power your speakers in 2016 you really should be using HDMI cables. It will enhance your gaming experience just as much as a PS4 -> Neo upgrade, if you watch Blu rays it's damn nearly essential.

I just bought two pairs of these and they use optical.

I know about the audio extractors, but i'm not thrilled about having to spend more money on something that requires the use of an additional a\c plug, and could possibly introduce lag and interference or simply malfunction. Hoping Neo saves the day.

Top Bottom