• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Unboxing Video

big_z

really ugly and cheap looking but the ps4 has always felt like a budget console. no intention on buying one with neo right around the corner but id be interested to hear how loud this thing is. looks like the same cooling design but thinner fan and heatsink.

Why do a bunch of people have their hands on this while the Neo is nowhere to be seen

sony is busy buying up duct tape in bulk to fight against scorpio.

I'd still be surprised if Neo doesn't come out this year. Seems odd to formally unveil that product in September and not have it available for the holidays. But if that is a mid-late November release it probably makes sense that manufacturing hasn't gone into full gear yet and isn't as readily accessible as a Slim model that probably will be out a bit sooner.

wasn't it said in the neo documents games shipping in sept onwards have to have neo support? I have to imagine some game box art with a neo stamp will leak soon at the very least.

Reg

Banned
I think you're right on this, but I think it's a mistake since now when compared to the Xbox One S, the PS4 S looks inferior. Sure the PS4 can play games better, but when the Neo is out, nobody will be looking at that comparison since if they want the better gaming experience they will just opt for the Neo.

So now they will be looking at other facets of the boxes, hdmi pass through, optical out, 4k bluray and hdr now make the Xbox One S look like the better value proposition.. I think Sony is going to need the $50 price advantage in this tier in order to remain competitive.

It truly is amazing how Microsoft was able to flip the script on Sony.. we will just see if it is enough to give Microsoft the edge in their major territories.

It won't.

longdi

Banned
If you are really a enthusiast you shouldn't continue using optical for audio.

And I'm using it, there are solutions like HDMI to optical.

Some people dont need surround audio and use high quality 2-channel integrated amps or separate DAC, these only take optical/coaxial/usb.

HDMI is restricted to AVR afaik.

For me i got the marantz HD-AMP1, awesome small digital amps, and it does not have HDMI in. :(

I hope Sony allows USB audio.

fritzo

so they're not gonna call this the "Slim" right officially. This is just the "new" PS4. Makes you wonder what the "neo" will be called.

longdi

Banned
I wonder if this slim will have a 14nm APU?

Wont it be more expensive for them to invest in 2 different 14nm APU?

It truly is amazing how Microsoft was able to flip the script on Sony.. we will just see if it is enough to give Microsoft the edge in their major territories.

One day you will climb out of your make believe bubble. And laugh at this post with the rest of us

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's nice that now you can actually see the color of the light bar on the controller, but another light source could mean even shorter battery life.

I also like how they removed crappy front buttons from the current console and replaced them with proper ones.

Hey hey, here's an idea:

What if...

they replaced the batter with a better one

Maximus.

Feel bad for the people who worked hard at Sony to build the announcement and it's all been ruined super early.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
ac42e0encsnea5zcscdb.jpg

So cool.
The PS Logo should light up like the OG PS4's light bar. That would've been really cool.

-d0hv

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I wonder if the lack of optical out is a trend which will continue to the Neo ? As my receiver doesnt have HDMI, I rely on optical for 5.1 output

I do hate to be that guy, but you could get a MASSIVE upgrade to a HDMI receiver with lovely lossless sound for next to nothing, the first ones hit about a decade ago, you could probably even get a new one for less than $100 at this point.

I would take this as an excuse to upgrade, if you are using a receiver to power your speakers in 2016 you really should be using HDMI cables. It will enhance your gaming experience just as much as a PS4 -> Neo upgrade, if you watch Blu rays it's damn nearly essential.

SlickVic

wasn't it said in the neo documents games shipping in sept onwards have to have neo support? I have to imagine some game box art with a neo stamp will leak soon at the very least.

Yeah I was just speaking to the concern of why the slim model has leaked and not the Neo if both are supposed to be out this year. It just seems to me the slim may end up releasing a good month or 2 before Neo so it would make sense someone would be able to find a slim in the wild (as it may very well be in stores a month from now) while the Neo perhaps hasn't ramped up to full production yet. All pure speculation of course.

IvanJ

Banned
I think it looks OK, actually I am glad it does not have that light strip across the entire console.
Not a machine for me, I'm perfectly fine with my launch console, but it's nice that new buyers will get to have an even smaller, less intrusive console under their TV.

Tainted

I do hate to be that guy, but you could get a MASSIVE upgrade to a HDMI receiver with lovely lossless sound for next to nothing, the first ones hit about a decade ago, you could probably even get a new one for less than $100 at this point.

I would take this as an excuse to upgrade, if you are using a receiver to power your speakers in 2016 you really should be using HDMI cables. It will enhance your gaming experience just as much as a PS4 -> Neo upgrade, if you watch Blu rays it's damn nearly essential.

Oh I know you speak the truth here, I am working my way towards a new receiver but I didnt realise Optical was so outdated....I guess I haven't kept up with the joneses when it comes to home theatre setups. This receiver was a hand me down from a friend...so I never complained about getting it :)

DarkNorm

Neo Member
I look at this slim model and had to ask, why the hell release a console with LESS features? Then I read a comment on here about Microsoft's continuous price changes on the XBOX and how that surely must effect Sony's marketing.

So could the slim be an aggressive move by Sony? Release a bare bones console which is simply a plug and play machine aimed at the casual market. Could this be a $250 console?

Hesemonni

Banned
To me it looks really good. I'm kinda waiting for NEO, but depending on the schedule I might hop on to this.

Just waiting for the damn audio impressions!

Radec

I think you're right on this, but I think it's a mistake since now when compared to the Xbox One S, the PS4 S looks inferior. Sure the PS4 can play games better, but when the Neo is out, nobody will be looking at that comparison since if they want the better gaming experience they will just opt for the Neo.

So now they will be looking at other facets of the boxes, hdmi pass through, optical out, 4k bluray and hdr now make the Xbox One S look like the better value proposition.. I think Sony is going to need the $50 price advantage in this tier in order to remain competitive.

XB1 S can only do HDR but not miracles.

Guymelef

About release date i would expect September 8 and not 7, September 8 ensures launch day buyers will paid new PS+ price after 15 days trial.

NOOI

Banned
I think they expected it. That thing shipped around the world, no way Sony doesn't see this coming.

Say, was there any sign of an MSRP on the box?

That's really the only thing that matters with the Slim. We know it is a cheaper PS4, but how cheap? That is really the only surprise left but I wonder if the box itself could hold any clues? Sometimes the barcode of a Japanese product would hide the MSRP yen price. But since this is a Middle East model I don't know if they have anything equivalent.

Logsi

If you are really a enthusiast you shouldn't continue using optical for audio.

And I'm using it, there are solutions like HDMI to optical.

HDMI Linear PCM uncompressed 5.1/7.1 is far superior to Optical which just doesn't have the bandwidth for more than 2 channels uncompressed.

AV Receivers for over a decade have done uncompressed surround via HDMI.

Ploid 3.0

Ok, I like the look. Nice, square, low profile. I bet it becomes invisible in the entertainment center.

Playstation Laptop.

Swass

One day you will climb out of your make believe bubble. And laugh at this post with the rest of us

Not sure how you read my post, I never claimed they would outsell Sony in Microsoft's territories, I just said we will see if having what appears to be the better value proposition in the low tier will help them outsell Sony's low tier offering. I still think the Neo is going to be the best selling console unless it is outrageously priced.

Elven_Star

People calling this a barebones console because it doesn't have optical port which 99.99% of users haven't even used in a decade. Gaf is gonna Gaf.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Oh I know you speak the truth here, I am working my way towards a new receiver but I didnt realise Optical was so outdated....I guess I haven't kept up with the joneses when it comes to home theatre setups. This receiver was a hand me down from a friend...so I never complained about getting it :)

Once you experience lossless sound you won't ever be able to go back, Yamaha make the best entry level models so I'd be on the lookout for one of them. Like I said you really won't have to spend much to advance your receiver by several generations.

SuperSah

Banned
I like it.

It would have looked even cooler if it wasn't slanted tbh, though I have no reason to upgrade my current PS4 to this nor Neo.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I can't see all this new hardware this year. Possible if Neo is getting an upgrade it'll be moved to launch with Scorpio.

They are considering slim the new OG PS4 unit, they have no need to keep the releases seperate if there is such a price disparity between the two like 249 or 399, they are going to be pushing these two units concurrently anyway.

Swass

People calling this a barebones console because it doesn't have optical port which 99.99% of users haven't even used in a decade. Gaf is gonna Gaf.

When compared to the competition it is missing quite a few features.. it makes the console feel bare bones even though it is essentially the same console they have been selling for years now.. and wait until the Neo is a thing.. it is only going to enhance the feeling..

hemo memo

Gold Member

It's a barebones console. all slim/redesign consoles are to change expensive parts with cheaper ones to maximize profit. isn't that the idea?

Top Bottom