• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins PC - March 29 - Retail copy no DRM, Steam copy no 3rd party DRM

Peff

No DRM? Might double dip to support this amazing game.

EDIT:
For my Portable Rayman goodness should I get the Vita version or the 3DS version?

Both are outsourced, so wait for the 3DS demo, if the effect doesn't make an impression on you then I guess it will look gorgeous on an OLED screen.

1-D_FTW

UBI is so bi-polar with their PC side.

Not only did I not expect this, but no DRM for the retail version? I swear, you need a chart to keep track of how UBI wildly swings from one release to the next.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
UBI is so bi-polar with their PC side.

Not only did I not expect this, but no DRM for the retail version. I swear, you need a chart to keep track of how UBI wildly swings from one release to the next.
It's a test

Shiggy

No DRM? Might double dip to support this amazing game.

EDIT:

Both are outsourced, so wait for the 3DS demo, if the effect doesn't make an impression on you then I guess it will look gorgeous on an OLED screen.

Both are done by Ubisoft Casablanca, right?
The PC version isn't outsourced?

They've lied about DRM policies in the past before too right? IIRC, From Dust was supposed to have a mild form of DRM but it was released with the full Uplay BS (or something to that effect).

sonicmj1

I have no real need to double-dip, but I want to buy the PC retail release anyway just to support the game, and to send a message to Ubi that they should use less DRM.

We'll see if my gamer activism gets the better of my wallet.

Oh shit!

https://twitter.com/#!/NateHawke/status/162581481074601984

Wow. Will probably get it at retail now. But I wonder if the Steam version will have any added DRM (on top of Steam's), or if they'll just use Steam's own DRM for it? Bodes well for none of the bullshit we've seen recently, though.

Seriously? I may actually double dip on an Ubi game. Or even triple dip on one of the handheld versions. What is this world coming to?

Haunted

Better late than never. No DRM is a solid decision. Will buy (<3 Ancel).

I think Ubisoft is the company with the most "split up" GOTY votes for me, delaying the PC version of AC, AC2 and now this into the following year compared to the console version.

Deadbeat

Banned
They've lied about DRM policies in the past before too right? IIRC, From Dust was supposed to have a mild form of DRM but it was released with the full Uplay BS (or something to that effect).
This is why im not buying it until I know for sure its got no DRM of any kind in it. Ubi's word means fuck all. Ill wait for buyers to report back first.

HW4pK.gif

Omikaru

Hah. I sincerely doubt that the PC is Rayman's hidden path to sales. I doubt the 3DS version will even sell well.

You never know. It's priced lower than most PC games (£19.99 instead of £29.99), so a pre-release demo may just seal the deal.

For what it's worth, I believe that Sonic Generations did pretty well on PC, and that launched at the same price and with a good demo.

Corto

I'm sure there are intelligent, reasonable people at Ubisoft that understand the damage Ubisoft PC DRM shenanigans are doing to their catalogue. I just hope this is a sign that these people are now starting to be heard. It would be great if Rayman sold better on PC than on consoles.

Because great games are terrible once they're two months old.

Nahhh.

1) new great games have taken up the place of those delayed
2) why would I want to support their late PC ports? Why would I want to give them the idea that this is the right path to take, to delay the PC versions of their games, and I would still buy them day 1?

Theonik

I do wonder if the PC version will utilise assets intended for resolutions beyond 1080p. It's a tantalising conceit.
Judging from the game running on Dolphin the characters at least should be possible to render at higher res than 1080p, only question is if they will include higher than 1080p backgrounds and if they'll support 16:10 resolutions at all.

Chesskid1

Banned
sweet, gonna play me some rayman origins with gobs of AA. not sure if it makes a difference in 2d games but imma turn it on!!! AF TOO!!!

ElRenoRaven

Wait wait wait. Ubisoft is publishing it right? No Drm? Really? I can't believe this at all.

If it's true then consider this bought for the right price.

Corto

Nahhh.

1) new great games have taken up the place of those delayed
2) why would I want to support their late PC ports? Why would I want to give them the idea that this is the right path to take, to delay the PC versions of their games, and I would still buy them day 1?

Maybe seize the opportunity to show one of the most archaic publishers (in terms of DRM) that openness doesn't mean decreased return?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Judging from the game running on Dolphin the characters at least should be possible to render at higher res than 1080p, only question is if they will include higher than 1080p backgrounds and if they'll support 16:10 resolutions at all.

Haha, you must've had that reply tabbed for a short while considering you caught my pre-edit post. ;)

Somehow I always assumed this would get released on PC sooner or later, and thus I've been holding out. I wish it'd had been released alongside the other versions but whatever, as long as I get to play it I'm content. Can't wait!

Omikaru

RPS got some clarity on the DRM situation:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/26/rayman-origins-coming-to-pc-drm-free/

Of course, the big question is: Woah, Ubi, what DRM will it come with? We&#8217;ve asked, can tell you that the digital download versions will only have a one-time activation, and retail copies, according to Ubi, will have &#8220;no DRM at all&#8221;.

I wonder what the "one-time activation" is for digital copies? Will it be Ubi's own DRM, or will they use the DRM from the store you buy it from (so tied to your Steam account on Steam, or using some sort of downloader that GamersGate uses, or whatever else is out there)?

And more importantly: if it uses Ubi's DRM, will there be an activation limit, or just activate it to run on your machine and then forget about it?

Top Bottom