• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins PC - March 29 - Retail copy no DRM, Steam copy no 3rd party DRM

Des0lar

will learn eventually
What? NO DRM? Fuck, this might make me buy this day 1 and I rarely buy games day 1. Most of all, not Ubi games.

Is this real life, indeed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
RPS got some clarity on the DRM situation:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/26/rayman-origins-coming-to-pc-drm-free/

I wonder what the "one-time activation" is for digital copies? Will it be Ubi's own DRM, or will they use the DRM from the store you buy it from?

And more importantly: if it uses Ubi's DRM, will there be an activation limit, or just activate it to run on your machine and then forget about it?

"One-time activation" in the order of "registering the game to your Uplay account" is my prognostication.

Ah, very nice! I was wondering if this was coming to PC.

No DRM? THANK CHRIST ALMIGHTY.

Wait, that's actually pretty sad. That should just be the way it is. But alas, these days it is not. And it's Ubisoft, so it is practically a miracle.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
"One-time activation" in the order of "registering the game to your Uplay account" is my prognostication.

Or is it Steam :O
That would be the best direction ever. Online copies come with Steam codes, retail copies are DRM free but have Steam code if you want to activate it.

This would be AMAZING.

Adnor

Banned
Too late, will wait for a sale, sorry Rayman, but you didn't want me as a costumer for a long time, so I can wait :(

EDIT: But if it's cheap and it doesn't have the uplay thing on steam, maybe I could buy it at release (There's no shop that sell PC games here to buy the retail version).

Nabs

That would be the best direction ever. Online copies come with Steam codes, retail copies are DRM free but have Steam code if you want to activate it.

This would be AMAZING.

Stop smoking that shit. It's U-Play and you know it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

This would be AMAZING.

That it would, but...

ZzcSJ.png

King_Moc

Banned
I avoided the console versions as I thought this might happen. Didn't expect there to be no DRM though. I'll be voting yes with my wallet.

Corto

This would be AMAZING.

The more reasonable scenario is indeed the uPlay activation though. Ubi would want to keep tabs on Rayman players in its own online service.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Nahhh.

1) new great games have taken up the place of those delayed
2) why would I want to support their late PC ports? Why would I want to give them the idea that this is the right path to take, to delay the PC versions of their games, and I would still buy them day 1?

yeah, let's give them an idea of not making PC version at all.

Maybe seize the opportunity to show one of the most archaic publishers (in terms of DRM) that openness doesn't mean decreased return?

Just removing the DRM is not good enough. For me to buy it day 1, I demand a pretty good explanation why the PC version wasn't available... day 1. As the release was delayed, my purchase will be as well.

Don't forget I Am Alive is still not confirmed for a PC release, so no, it doesn't look like they decided to properly support the PC platform.

Corto

Just removing the DRM is not good enough. For me to buy it day 1, I demand a pretty good explanation why the PC version wasn't available... day 1. As the release was delayed, my purchase will be as well.

Don't forget I Am Alive is still not confirmed for a PC release, so no, it doesn't look like they decided to properly support the PC platform.

Baby steps... Baby steps... ;)

RPS got some clarity on the DRM situation:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/26/rayman-origins-coming-to-pc-drm-free/

I wonder what the "one-time activation" is for digital copies? Will it be Ubi's own DRM, or will they use the DRM from the store you buy it from (so tied to your Steam account on Steam, or using some sort of downloader that GamersGate uses, or whatever else is out there)?

And more importantly: if it uses Ubi's DRM, will there be an activation limit, or just activate it to run on your machine and then forget about it?

Yeah..ambiguous marketing at its finest...Can't wait for Ubi to back track on this once the game is released and the internet finds TAGES hidden on the retail discs..

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Lewie Proctor (sometimes on RPS, runs SavvyGamer) just asked if Rayman Origin's DRM (or lack thereof) reflects future Ubisoft DRM policy.

https://twitter.com/#!/NateHawke/statuses/162585131213787137

Interpret that as you will...
Like I said, it's just a test. If it does well they'll follow up with more DRM free PC editions, if it doesn't it's back to awful DRM + we get more statements where they get to bitch about piracy. It's a win-win for Ubisoft.

They chose Rayman Origins because it's sales were hopeless anyway.

King Boo

in another topic, i saw this game and you guys saying it was "bombing". i looked at a few screenshots and then replied in that topic saying something like "i would buy it if it comes out on pc." of course i didn't think it would come out on pc.

damn, now i gotta buy it.

yeah, let's give them an idea of not making PC version at all.

And didn't they "give us the idea" for the past 1 year that no PC version will be made at all? Their mistake. ;)

And hey, I said, I will buy it, because I like these kind of games, I'm just not in a hurry to pay full price day 1.

Weenerz

Banned
It's a shame Ubisoft has done so much to hurt PC gaming, even with this good first step with having no DRM, I still can't support them. Perhaps their next game will get more of my attention.

This would be AMAZING.

With almost no exceptions, there's no such thing as a retail game that has a Steam code if you want to activate it. Games are either Steamworks or they aren't.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
With almost no exceptions, there's no such thing as a retail game that has a Steam code if you want to activate it. Games are either Steamworks or they aren't.

But there are enough titles in the online space that are DRM free but have Steamcodes, so I don't know why this wouldn't work in retail.

Sober

This is Ubisoft right?

Wow that's crazy. Hope you PC guys buy this in droves to offset the horrible console sales.
Sounds about right. Guess it didn't do so well on console sales but they keep seeing they do pretty well at least with Steam sales so they probably went "oh hell, why not".

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I like Rayman but it's Ubisoft on PC so no thanks.

Yeah totally makes sense not to support them after changing their stance on DRM for this game. Thus showing them DRM works.

Actually maybe it is a trap and they can blame shit sales (I hope not I love this game!) on piracy!

salpa

Banned
Was gonna pick it up on the 3DS if the demo played well.

But damn...this beautiful game on my PC is hard to pass up. Will there be any difference between it (visually) compared to the 360 version?

Theonik

Haha, you must've had that reply tabbed for a short while considering you caught my pre-edit post. ;)

Guilty as charged.
Was gonna pick it up on the 3DS if the demo played well.

But damn...this beautiful game on my PC is hard to pass up. Will there be any difference between it (visually) compared to the 360 version?
If you play in 1080p or lower, probably not. For higher resolutions there is a possibility but that remains to be confirmed.

kadotsu

Banned
That no DRM on retail and only one time activation on digital sure sound like TAGES to me. I won't triple dip on Rayman. PS3 and PSV is enough for me and the game already is at the highest graphical standard my displays at home can manage.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
took you fucking long enough... tragic decision to not put it out on the pc ( steam! ) day 1.

TheExodu5

Banned
Why? People keep reacting this way, but what is the PC version going to do that the 1080p 60fps console versions don't already? Comfy office chair?

For me, it's just the convenience factor. My PC is always on and no need to swap discs. Didn't realize the console versions were actually 1080p/60fps, though. That's a rarity.

I was going to buy the PS Vita version, but looks like I might get this instead.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yes! Price looks good, now lets hope it has online Co Op.

I take it this means Steam will get Rayman 2 also.

inky

Yeah totally makes sense not to support them after changing their stance on DRM for this game. Thus showing them DRM works.

Actually maybe it is a trap and they can blame shit sales (I hope not I love this game!) on piracy!

How am I showing them DRM works by not buying the game? (plus I made that comment before I knew about the no DRM version).
1 game hardly makes for a compelling argument, a game they didn't even announce for PC just to not have to "delay" it like they do with their usual PC output. When they show a commitment to the platform I might reconsider Ubisoft products, but it's a long way there from where I am standing.

Also, the DRM-less version will hardly be carried by any local retailers (which only carry game like The Sims or Blizzard's) so I've yet to see how the digital version of this game gets here.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I was planning on picking this up for 3DS (I really like 2D stuff with a 3D effect) but this makes that pretty difficult. I'll just have to wait and see how both versions turn out.

Top Bottom