• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebel FM 14-1-09 feat. Shane (and his new job) and Skip

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
So Anthony was making $40k+ a year? Since he's only been there about a year full-time, I'm assuming that's an entry level salary. Even considering the higher costs of Bay Area living, that's a decent salary considering the minimal qualifications needed to work in the business. I think Shoe and some of the big bosses were pulling 6 figures right?

Yasser

how did this get tagged as "explicit" after only 2 episodes while the brodeo and 1up yours managed not to for all those years??

aegies

SnowWolf said:
So Anthony was making $40k+ a year? Since he's only been there about a year full-time, I'm assuming that's an entry level salary. Even considering the higher costs of Bay Area living, that's a decent salary considering the minimal qualifications needed to work in the business. I think Shoe and some of the big bosses were pulling 6 figures right?

When he was laid off, Anthony was PC editor; essentially, he had Jeff Green's job.

And I find it extraordinarily amusing to hear people talk about "minimal qualifications" to work in the game journalism industry when the available positions are in even shorter supply than those in the mainstream press. The qualifications are higher than you think, and for a place like 1up/EGM, the main qualification is something that goes beyond having a college degree, i.e., being able to write well. That's not to say college is unimportant; most of us do have at least a bachelors. Sadly, that bachelors isn't going to keep me very warm at night when I get laid off on Friday.

LiK

aegies said:
When he was laid off, Anthony was PC editor; essentially, he had Jeff Green's job.

And I find it extraordinarily amusing to hear people talk about "minimal qualifications" to work in the game journalism industry when the available positions are in even shorter supply than those in the mainstream press. The qualifications are higher than you think, and for a place like 1up/EGM, the main qualification is something that goes beyond having a college degree, i.e., being able to write well. That's not to say college is unimportant; most of us do have at least a bachelors. Sadly, that bachelors isn't going to keep me very warm at night when I get laid off on Friday.

yo, are you his roomie? i just wanted to say that you have an uber deep voice and i agree with your choice for Dead Space in your top 3. ;)

jax (old)

Banned
Impressions on where I got to onthis podcast.

Shane/ECM talk =good

Obama shooting = annoying

Anthony talking about segment ... was bad

There's a 4th voice I can't place (shane Anthony nick + ?) I think you need to do a quick intro?

I've come around to the notion that the guys might have secured a bit too much money... I hope they don't waste it...

aegies

Jax said:

Shane/ECM talk =good

There's a 4th voice I can't place (shane Anthony nick + ?) I think you need to do a quick intro?

I've come around to the notion that the guys might have secured a bit too much money... I hope they don't waste it...

The regular fourth chair would be me. I run eat-sleep-game with Anthony, and play the role of hetero-lifemate and all around Rasputin.

And I actually don't have the physical degree. Universities like to charge OUTRAGEOUS amounts for them now, and considering I didn't even attend the ceremony, it wasn't something I particularly cared about.

LiK

Jax said:

Shane/ECM talk =good

Anthony's segment wasn't bad at all, imo. just very depressing.

I made a comment on eat-sleep-play, where you guys need to post all these amazing things people are sending to you. I really want to see that art picture of 1up crew. Don't fall into the same stink you did at 1up.

You would talk about posting something on the blog and never do it. Start doing it please :D :D

bengraven

Heartbreaking.

I just found out that Ignition's US branch is just a few blocks down the street from my current job; literally just down the road from where I am now.

And they're hiring.

And I am not nearly qualified enough for any position.

In early 2009, Ignition announced the hiring of Shane Bettenhausen, a former editor at 1UP.com.

Shortly after his hiring, Ignition announced King of Fighters XII would be coming to North America in 2009 as a Playstation 3 exclusive.

second part isn't true, is it?

if real, I fell for it.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
bengraven said:
Heartbreaking.

I just found out that Ignition's US branch is just a few blocks down the street from my current job; literally just down the road from where I am now.

And they're hiring.

Apply anyway.
And then tell us Shane's GAF handle.

bengraven said:
Heartbreaking.

And they're hiring.

You are now qualified to get autographs of Man God for us.

Mandewd said:
why has no one found the freeze-frame of shane driving that car in the Matrix: Reloaded!?

Keep wishing. Some of us have known for years that he was in that scene, and still never found him. Until he drops a timestamp on us, it shall remain a mystery!!!

john tv

Nice ep, guys. Way better than the first! One request: please, no more jokes about wanting money, jobs, donations, etc. etc. It's already very, very old. :)

Looking forward to the next episode!

bengraven

aidan said:
Apply anyway.
And then tell us Shane's GAF handle.

I have no technical skills, though. I was thinking of more of an administration, web, or preferably writing position. They seem to only want people with design skills and other than a very brief moment with Maya, I'm completely green to this.

Time to get back in college I think.

iDoubleSpy said:
You are now qualified to get autographs of Man God for us.

The irony is I'm not a big fan of Shane's; I remember having a few choice words for him when he argued with Shoe a couple years ago, saying PSN was better than XBL due to being free. Be hilarious if I were actually working FOR him. :lol

That said, an ex-editor of EGM is going to be working in my town and I'm pretty sure I know which Gamestop he'd be frequenting if I ever wanted to get a handshake.

Or wanted to argue with him about PSN vs. XBL.

FirewalkR

Linkzg said:
if y2kev is Shane, I could only salute him for going through such lengths of hiding it.

He is. Come clean, Bettenhausen, there's no hiding anymore. "Kevin", HAH!! You don't fool me.

And congrats on the new job.

lulz

voltron

john tv said:
Nice ep, guys. Way better than the first! One request: please, no more jokes about wanting money, jobs, donations, etc. etc. It's already very, very old. :)

Looking forward to the next episode!

Couldnt agree more. I enjoy inside stories about how it was to work at 1up etc, but yeah no more of the depressing shit.

What does that translate to? Keep Chuff off the mic when that topic might come up.

Sorry chuff you just need to lighten up man.

voltron said:
Couldnt agree more. I enjoy inside stories about how it was to work at 1up etc, but yeah no more of the depressing shit.

What does that translate to? Keep Chuff off the mic when that topic might come up.

Sorry chuff you just need to lighten up man.

I am giving them some slack mainly become I donated money, but because imagine how hard it is for them. I still have this empty feeling, so i'm sure they feel like shit sometimes.

But yeah, 2 episodes is enough. Find your structure and start a Rebel FM army. I think backlog would be the best thing to do since you are all jobless.

Jax said:
Actually, I would say that it's the first one that has ever been good. What they usually are, what they were on 1up FM, are just stupid. Please stop doing those sections.

Yasser said:
how did this get tagged as "explicit" after only 2 episodes while the brodeo and 1up yours managed not to for all those years??

i just chose the explicit option since we swore a bunch in this episode, but i suppose i can take it off.

tino

Banned
FirewalkR said:
He is. Come clean, Bettenhausen, there's no hiding anymore. "Kevin", HAH!! You don't fool me.

And congrats on the new job.

lulz

This will reveal in ep.1 of the brand spanking new ShaneCast. It will be epic.

aegies

voltron said:
He never even gave an approximate time stamp. Do you have any idea where it is?

I really do have the HD-DVDs. I just haven't had the time by any stretch of the imagination to find it. If I do, I will post it.

Barrett2

Mr. Wonderful said:
Actually, I would say that it's the first one that has ever been good. What they usually are, what they were on 1up FM, are just stupid. Please stop doing those sections.

this

Top Bottom