• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebel FM 14-1-09 feat. Shane (and his new job) and Skip

voltron said:
No one said they werent.

Jax said:
Anthony talking about segment ... was bad

brent.jpg

bengraven said:
They seem to only want people with design skills and other than a very brief moment with Maya, I'm completely green to this.
Where did you hear this? or that they're hiring for that matter.

zenbot

I hope Chuf feels better soon. I recognize a kindred spirit and I'm prone to deep pessimism and self-loathing when things aren't going my way (2008 didn't go my way, job-wise: I was made redundant once, and quit the next job a couple of weeks before the company collapsed); but it always gets better, and the dude is young, talented, and belongs to a social and professional network to murder kittens for. Chin up, man!

voltron

lawblob said:

ahhh, I missed that.

Well Im of the opinion that this most recent one was the first one that sucked. Usually theyre great and break the show up nicely.

Also really dug Chuffs little guitar piece at the end there. Good stuff.

Iksenpets

Banned
Skip's college story is the same as mine. Going from comp sci to poli sci after realizing that comp sci sucks ass. I'm well I'm on my way to being a podcast producer!

polg

this episode was so goooood!

The anecdotes were awesome, and it is good to hear that Anthony Gallegos still has his own segment :D

voltron

Iksenpets said:
Skip's college story is the same as mine. Going comp sci to poli sci after realizing that comp sci sucks ass. I'm well I'm on my way to being a podcast producer!

Im not happy with my degree either. Im a year in but Im not changing as this is pretty much my 3rd attempt at doing something that interests me.

It shouldnt matter too much, employer these days look at a degree as a sign that you can commit to something and finish it, and have at least some intelligence.

dexterslu

Just finished the podcast, really loved the old EGM stories. Thought the overall discussion flowed really well, I'm not necessarily sure if that's because Shane was there but it seemed like it had purpose and direction and felt very natural.

Can't wait for more Rebel FM

Linkzg said:
Shane is going to Ignition Entertainment, Director of Business Development

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_Entertainment
In early 2009, Ignition announced the hiring of Shane Bettenhausen, a former editor at *************.

Shortly after his hiring, Ignition announced King of Fighters XII would be coming to North America in 2009 as a Playstation 3 exclusive. Soon thereafter the PS3 and Shane were quietly shitcanned.
:lol

oh yeah - downloaded, will listen to at work tomorrow.

Grecco

Iksenpets said:
Skip's college story is the same as mine. Going comp sci to poli sci after realizing that comp sci sucks ass. I'm well I'm on my way to being a podcast producer!

Poli Sci ? Me too hifive

aegies

G-Pink said:
I'm interested. What headsets did you guys pick up for the podcast?

No headsets. In both the podcasts so far, the headset mics are the ones that sound the worst. The name of the mics and stands picked up escape me, but they're pretty high quality, with swing arm stands to allow for multiple guests without the annoying sound of mics being handed off. We also picked up pop filters. They should be here in time for the next podcast.

LiK

aegies said:
No headsets. In both the podcasts so far, the headset mics are the ones that sound the worst. The name of the mics and stands picked up escape me, but they're pretty high quality, with swing arm stands to allow for multiple guests without the annoying sound of mics being handed off. We also picked up pop filters. They should be here in time for the next podcast.

i told Phil this, i think all you guys need are a few more mics and the show is perfect

Just finished listening to Ep. 2. Audio quality was greatly improved. Another good podcast. Also good to see Rebel FM hangin' up near the top of the podcasts section on iTunes.

Best of luck to Shane in his new position at Ignition. Too bad we most likely won't be hearing from him regularly on podcasts any longer however........:( Truly the end of an era.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This podcast helped me break into Final Fantasy III.
I thought I would never get around to it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What an awesome episode. Shane was so candid in particular. Was hilarious and frank. Skip is awesome too.

The mangod has a new title: Uncle Shane.

Iksenpets said:
Skip's college story is the same as mine. Going from comp sci to poli sci after realizing that comp sci sucks ass. I'm well I'm on my way to being a podcast producer!

hah, I already graduated with a comp sci degree, but I was considering going back to school to get a poli sci degree :lol

jax (old)

Banned
just got to the end and there is a lot of requests for funds at the end. 12k not enough for podcasting?

money money money. I guess gotta ride the wave while its hot.

* contrast this with my post yesterday defending the guys. I've thought about this since last week. I liked 1upyours. The funds are going to 1upFM guys mostly. Not sure if I care for these personalities. I'd rather the money go to milke/shoe..etc

Once the guests spots stop coming, I might just stick to giantbomb and playerone.

aegies

Jax said:
just got to the end and there is a lot of requests for funds at the end. 12k not enough for podcasting?

* contrast this with my post yesterday defending the guys. I've thought about this since last week. I liked 1upyours. The funds are going to 1upFM guys mostly. Not sure if I care for these personalities. I'd rather the money go to milke/shoe..etc

Once the guests spots stop coming, I might just stick to giantbomb and playerone.

And we also said ours was probably worn out from the embarassing amount of money. So. Take it easy there chief. I think in the future the only talk of donations will be to keep people abreast of what's going on, because people have been asking.

WARNING

Banned
here's some constructive criticism from someone who loved almost all of 1up's podcast output:

- if you're going to have phil, nick, and anthony as staples of the show----please have a fourth who is a bit more energetic! there's nothing wrong with nick, anthony, or phil...but you definitely need a louder, stronger voice to offset the rather laidback, apathetic sounding voices of those three. im not suggesting you guys are ACTUALLY apathetic people ... but from an aural standpoint, the cast needs more life. intellectually, you're all set.

WARNING

Banned
aegies---sorry i forgot your first name---

i wouldnt address criticism on these forums. you cant really ever address mob-rule and be expected to sound professional.

So I just watched the entire highway scene in Matrix Reloaded in VLC at 67% speed. I just have the DVD and the full screen one at that (I was naive back then) but I didn't see him anywhere... until the very end when Neo is flying away from the explosion carrying Morpheus and the key dude.

44173537fe7.jpg

Actually, no, if he's in that scene he's in one of the cars driving by and the DVD isn't high enough res to see their faces clear enough.

aegies

WARNING said:
aegies---sorry i forgot your first name---

i wouldnt address criticism on these forums. you cant really ever address mob-rule and be expected to sound professional.

This is the only time I'll address this: I think that it's understandable that people look at the donation thing with a critical eye. It's a fine line to walk, and I think we'll do fine at it. If I see valid criticism, then I will take it under advisement. After the OMGDONATIONSPLOSION last night, I felt like it warranted a response.

john tv said:
Nice ep, guys. Way better than the first! One request: please, no more jokes about wanting money, jobs, donations, etc. etc. It's already very, very old. :)

Looking forward to the next episode!

Deal, but it should be clear that we do still want jobs. Also, never made any jokes about wanting donations and will not. Would rather not get into THAT stuff again.

Jax said:

We weren't "requesting" money -- I mentioned that there's a donate button on our site, as well as the sites of a couple other ex-1UP friends. I also noted that you guys have already given way way way more than we expected, so I didn't expect that to be read as "PLEASE GIVE US MORE OMG."

Also, if you'd rather be donating to Shoe, you should note the Donate button at the top of the Sore Thumbs blog. It's been there for a long while now:

http://sorethumbsblog.com/

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I love the Chuff stuff. My wife too.
This podcast had a great flow and vibe. Better than 1up FM ever had.
Anthony did a good job of keeping the conversation moving. Listen again, his segues were flawless (Idle thumbs reference)

voltron

Jax said:

No dude. They really fucking didnt.

What is it with people? Money sends some people fucking bonkers. It really does. They MENTIONED the donation link. ONCE

Mamesj

Banned
It's not as bad as the This American Life podcast, which really does beg for money for 5 minutes at the beginning of each episode. For TAL or Rebel.fm, it's understandable as these things cost time and money to record, produce, and host. Then you get to enjoy it for an hour plus with no interruption.

so people should get the fuck over it because complaining about it makes you look like a serious ass.

voltron

Absolutely they should get over it.

Another podcast I listen to that isnt gaming related, the host basically begs for money every episode. He begs, and no one gives a shit. People either donate if theyre feeling philanthropic, or just ignores him.

voltron said:
Absolutely they should get over it.

Another podcast I listen to that isnt gaming related, the host basically begs for money every episode. He begs, and no one gives a shit. People either donate if theyre feeling philanthropic, or just ignores him.

Karl Pilkington?
:lol :lol :lol

element

I don't want to bash Shane, but how the fuck does he land a Director of Business Development position at any company? I could understand something in product development or acquisitions, but business director?

how does he land a director level gig?
Shawn Elliot is an AP at 2k Boston
Jeff Green is an AP at Maxis

Jeff could get a lobotomy and still be better then Shane at everything...

I just don't get it.

voltron

element said:
I don't want to bash Shane, but how the fuck does he land a Director of Business Development position at any company? I could understand something in product development or acquisitions, but business director?

how does he land a director level gig?
Shawn Elliot is an AP at 2k Boston
Jeff Green is an AP at Maxis

Jeff could get a lobotomy and still be better then Shane at everything...

I just don't get it.

You say you could understand product development? Business development in this case is the same thing. Theyre a small company. Dont read too much into the title, titles are always vague.

Hes probably just the main dude greenlighting new games or whatever.

Spruchy

iDoubleSpy said:
Karl Pilkington?
:lol :lol :lol

I dunno if you're trying to be wacky with all those smileys but when has Karl Pilkington ever expressed any sort of material need? He is beyond that, he is your god.

voltron said:
nah.

Does he have his own podcast?

Only a 12 minute sample :(

Spruchy said:
I dunno if you're trying to be wacky with all those smileys but when has Karl Pilkington ever expressed any sort of material need? He is beyond that, he is your god.

Technically, you pay for the Ricky Gervais podcast. Karl has more then once on those podcasts said he isn't doing this for free, he needs to make a living.

And yes, Karl is my "god"

such a funny man

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Iksenpets said:

Maybe you suck ass?

zenbot

I studied comp sci. We had an attrition rate of maybe 20% to poli sci. I was always curious as to why that was. (If I was going to defect to anything it would have been poli sci, heh!)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Good episode. :)

All the best to Skip and Shane.

Top Bottom