• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 releasing June 28th on PS4/XB1

This is false

No, it isn't. RE4 fans are the worst.

I don't know if you would have this info, but I would be really grateful if you could confirm how the PS4 version of RE5 handles profiles for split screen.

On the PS3 version only the first player profile could sign in and the co-op partner was forced to be a guest. This was also the case with RE Revelations 2 on PS4. This meant in couch co-op only one player actually got progression/unlocks/trophies.

On the 360 version both players could use their profile for unlocks/progression/achievements and the like.

So does the PS4 version of RE5 allow both players to use their profiles in split screen co-op or does it force the second player to be a guest?

In other words can you egg dupe solo? :p

In other words can you egg dupe solo? :p

I just want to be able to play with my wife like we did on 360 years ago. This was the first game we played entirely together and it was how she got me in to Resident Evil, which was her favorite game series.

It was a real let down when we played through Rev 2 and the PS4 treated it as if I had not played the game, so I got no unlocks or trophies and if I ever want to play again I have to start over after having already beaten the game and unlocked numerous items and costumes.

That was a shitty way to handle couch co-op especially when online co-op allows both players to get credit for playing. So I just want to know if I should buy this on PS4 or if it would still only let one profile play at a time.

Resident Evil 5 has numerous dark environments, generally underground or inside buildings, all complete with creepy atmosphere and dim lighting. Also both story DLC scenarios take place at night.

I think there's still a pretty big difference in the atmosphere of the village or castle at night than say, the underground caverns, especially when you factor in 5's action based orchestral soundtrack and more constantly action packed pacing. And just more generally there's a big difference in the aesthetic and vibe of the two games, it's not just a slight palette swap.

Again I'm not trying to argue 5 is bad (I like it a lot, even though not nearly as much as 4), but it encapsulates a very different feeling than 4.

Vashetti

Banned
I forget that people get weird in these rerelease threads.
I like RE5 a lot, but there's nothing scary about it. RE4 isn't scary either, but there are creepy and unsettling sections that RE5 never even attempts to have. Most people outside of these Koolaid drinking type of threads would agree.

Been a few years since I've played RE5, but I found the tribal village sections (iirc in the middle-ish of the game) pretty unsettling.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Correction: Diehard RE fans in general are the worst.

Oh, absolutely. It's always as if their opinion is the only one that matters, and their preferences are the only ones that should be catered to.

They don't understand that my opinion is the only one that matters, and my preferences are the only ones that should be catered to.

AEREC

It's very difficult to notice since you're not running an on-screen fps counter. The game spends most of its time in the 60fps zone as some of the Let's Plays you'll find on YT will show. At the end of the day, it runs and plays well. :)

I'm looking forward to it and I'll still get it. Just wish it would have been perfect...no biggie.

AEREC

So RE6 is $14 on Xbox One this week. I loved RE4, enjoyed my time with RE5 (never finished it) -- would I like RE6? Is it worth $14 for the remaster?

For some people RE6 is a mixed bag. It has the best gameplay of the TPS RE's but it also looses some of the staples of RE4 and RE5 (item management, cohesive story and levels, slow movement, stop and pop gameplay) and instead it feels like a mission based scenario action game with a focus evenly split between melee and shooting.

I think RE6 is a great game and totally worth $14 but just know that it is a completely different from RE4 and RE5.

hbkdx12

I forget that people get weird in these rerelease threads.
I like RE5 a lot, but there's nothing scary about it. RE4 isn't scary either, but there are creepy and unsettling sections that RE5 never even attempts to have. Most people outside of these Koolaid drinking type of threads would agree.

Resi 5 was my first resident and i was SUPER cautious in even buying it thinking that it would be a ton of creepy monsters and jump scares with tank controls that don't allow you to run and shoot.

I would agree with your sentiment that it wasn't very creepy....until i got up to the part with the fucking big ass bug roaches near the end. There was nothing about that thing that wasn't terrifying. When it's in range it's stands up and is tall as fuck. When you run away and it tries to close the distance it scurries across the floor at you like a giant ass cockroach and it it's a OHKO if it grabs you in which case it goes into first person view as you watch it stab you to death. I literally had to look away from the screen when this happened.

These things were legitimately terrifying and the only saving grace was that they show up near the end so you don't have to deal with them very long before the game is over. It made it hard for me to even go through the game a second time because of it but when i finally unlocked that rocker launcher tho.....

It also doesn't help that if you play on the hardest difficult in the desperate escape DLC, they're all over the damn place.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So uhh. Still no impressions? I just see a bunch of RE:Series bickering in this thread. How's the fucking remaster though? :p

It's great. Especially if you love playing RE5

We need to make a mercenaries OT more than anything

If anyone has this on Xbone, add me as I'm speedrunning through the game and will happily drag/help other people complete the game easily.
GT: BumblebeeCody.
Add me if you wanna play Mercs too. Preferably serious players but not too fussed

So underpowered...

Z20NPC8.jpg

Sure, we can pretend you start the game that way.

SkylineRKR

Played about 2 hours on PS4, in Chapter 2 now. Its a very solid port. I never played this on PC so 60fps is new to me.

I enjoy this one much more than 6. The weapons and melee attacks pack quite a punch. RE6 was sort of lacking there combined with the worse enemy animations.

The IQ is very clean and the framerate holds up. Gameplay is also better because of it.

AEREC

Guess Ill just sub this thread since it seems like the unofficial OT now. Unless someone is doing an OT for this version of the game?

wbacon

Capcom USA
I don't know if you would have this info, but I would be really grateful if you could confirm how the PS4 version of RE5 handles profiles for split screen.

On the PS3 version only the first player profile could sign in and the co-op partner was forced to be a guest. This was also the case with RE Revelations 2 on PS4. This meant in couch co-op only one player actually got progression/unlocks/trophies.

On the 360 version both players could use their profile for unlocks/progression/achievements and the like.

So does the PS4 version of RE5 allow both players to use their profiles in split screen co-op or does it force the second player to be a guest?

Unfortunately, I don't. And by the time I ask and get the answer, I'm sure someone with the actual game will verify and provide answer today.

Edit: and it looks like the game is now available digitally in NA so you might get your answer sooner than later :)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The daylight argument is a poor one, since it implies the ability to clearly see what is around you diminishes the horror, yet in no RE game ever has visibility ever been a probem, you can see clear as day in all of them, even those set at night or in supposedly gloomy mansion basements, or in caves (except that bit in RE5 where need a lamp for a bit of irony).

RE5 definitely balanced resource supply better than RE4, resources are much rarer and the limited inventory of RE5 beats RE4s hands down. RE4 you could be a walking arsenal with 5 guns, ammo for them all, nades of every type and loads of healiing items. In RE5 if you got 5 guns you cannot even hold 1 spare bullet for each of them, let alone anything else. Plus it all real time, no stopping the game world to pick up items or manage inventory and use heals etc.

Lack of resources and real time inventory is far better for building tension in action games.

So underpowered...

Z20NPC8.jpg
This was mainly the only thing wrong with the RE4, Capcom couldn't understand that with 5 or 6 and now just proved they have no idea how to make a RE game with whatever RE7 is.

I tempted to bite the bullet and get this despite already having the Disc version on order.

Cornbread78

Guess Ill just sub this thread since it seems like the unofficial OT now. Unless someone is doing an OT for this version of the game?

If anyone has this on Xbone, add me as I'm speedrunning through the game and will happily drag/help other people complete the game easily.
Add me if you wanna play Mercs too. Preferably serious players but not too fussed

Yes, we are rather insufferable

OT, where's the OT? Finally have this downloading in NA

Eggbok signed up to do one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=196659047&postcount=4308

Resident Evil 5 Remastered by Eggbok (February 25th, 2016)

Releases June 28th, 2016!

Not sure why he hasn't though. I can throw something together in a couple hours, but..... He should have posted it by now.. Either way, I sent him a PM.

Scrawnton

I may take you up on that offer. AntonHtz is my gamer tag.

Played about 2 hours on PS4, in Chapter 2 now. Its a very solid port. I never played this on PC so 60fps is new to me.

I enjoy this one much more than 6. The weapons and melee attacks pack quite a punch. RE6 was sort of lacking there combined with the worse enemy animations.

The IQ is very clean and the framerate holds up. Gameplay is also better because of it.

Would you perhaps be able to check really quick if you can have two profiles loaded in for splitscreen co-op? In some games on PS4 you can do this and both profiles get the game progression and unlocks and trophies, but in other games, the co-op partner is just registered as a guest, so only player 1 counts. I would really appreciate if you could check which way it works for this game on PS4.

Unfortunately, I don't. And by the time I ask and get the answer, I'm sure someone with the actual game will verify and provide answer today.

Edit: and it looks like the game is now available digitally in NA so you might get your answer sooner than later :)

Yeah, I hope somebody can let me know, I would love to surprise my wife with this today if it works out. Thank you all the same for your response.

Any new features?

How often did the frame rate dropped? Is it noticeable?

J_Viper

Anyone know if two separate PSN profiles can log in for split-screen in RE5?

I heard this wasn't the case in RE6, so I went for the Xbone version. I'm wondering if I should do the same here.

Jamix012

Anyone know if two separate PSN profiles can log in for split-screen in RE5?

I heard this wasn't the case in RE6, so I went for the Xbone version. I'm wondering if I should do the same here.

Huh. You were misinformed on that one. RE6 allowed it. Haven't got RE5r yet though, so no comment.

SkylineRKR

Yeah I can load in 2 different profiles.

No new features. Seems you have to unlock stuff as well.

Framerate doesn't drop in campaign yet (I'm in 2-2). Even split screen is 60fps. Cutscenes run 30fps.

Servbot24

Banned
Oh, absolutely. It's always as if their opinion is the only one that matters, and their preferences are the only ones that should be catered to.

They don't understand that my opinion is the only one that matters, and my preferences are the only ones that should be catered to.

Sounds like fans of everything ever made.

Jawmuncher

Yeah I can load in 2 different profiles.

No new features. Seems you have to unlock stuff as well.

Framerate doesn't drop in campaign yet (I'm in 2-2). Even split screen is 60fps. Cutscenes run 30fps.

Hmm so is it probably just no mercy then, can't recall too many areas in the campaign that get too bad.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Fucking tank controls, forgot how much I hated them. Game looks great though, I also forgot most of the shit that happens in the game so might as well play through it again.

kc44135

How often did the frame rate dropped? Is it noticeable?

Framerate is very solid, and the game looks excellent visually. YouTube compression really does prevent you from seeing how good things look at 1080p. As for frame drops, I really only noticed them in the beginning portion of the game, but they were very minor, and I likely only noticed them because I'm very sensitive to drops. There's really nothing to worry about with this port. I'm not sure how it would hold up to the PC version, but it's a massive improvement over previous console versions. Also, I'm not sure why people are saying the cutscenes run at 30 FPS, as they are absolutely running at 60, and they look glorious. The intro to the game is indeed an ugly 720p, 30 FPS pre-rendered cutsene, but everything after that looks fantastic.

Additionally, Capcom has added a few features to this version that I haven't seen anyone mention yet. First is "Action Assist", which makes the ai move much faster to help you when you're grabbed by an enemy, or in dying status. It's really helpful. Also, it supposedly either makes QTE's either easier or automatic as well, but I haven't run into any QTE's yet, so I'm unsure of exactly how this works. Oh, and there's a new " Customized " camera option. When this is enabled, you're field of view is basically doubled, similar to the RE6 camera options post-patch. It's a really great feature, and it really helps out when you're surrounded by enemies, and need to keep track of them. So yeah, really awesome port, and well worth the $20.

SkylineRKR

Yeah pre rendered title screen intro movie is lower res and 30. In game cutscenes run 60 indeed.

Hmm so is it probably just no mercy then, can't recall too many areas in the campaign that get too bad.

It has the unified Mercs I guess. Which is both good and bad. Because the old Merc rules were better.

All stages and chars are unlocked as well but this was also in Mercs Reunion I think? I forgot how much I loved Excella in this, dem bitch slaps. If you liked the console version before and don't mind the tank controls this port plays like a dream.

Versus is in.

Hostile_18

Banned
How bad is it they can't even spell their own game correctly "Resident Evil5" at least on the UK store/trophy list.

Every resident evil entry is named differently;

Resident Evil 0 <----- Correct
Resident Eviltm
RESIDENT EVIL 6
RESIDENT EVIL5
RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS 2

What will the next one be:

Resident EVIL 4

... it bugs me haha.

Framerate is very solid, and the game looks excellent visually. YouTube compression really does prevent you from seeing how good things look at 1080p. As for frame drops, I really only noticed them in the beginning portion of the game, but they were very minor, and I likely only noticed them because I'm very sensitive to drops. There's really nothing to worry about with this port. I'm not sure how it would hold up to the PC version, but it's a massive improvement over previous console versions. Also, I'm not sure why people are saying the cutscenes run at 30 FPS, as they are absolutely running at 60, and they look glorious. The intro to the game is indeed an ugly 720p, 30 FPS pre-rendered cutsene, but everything after that looks fantastic.

Additionally, Capcom has added a few features to this version that I haven't seen anyone mention yet. First is "Action Assist", which makes the ai move much faster to help you when you're grabbed by an enemy, or in dying status. It's really helpful. Also, it supposedly either makes QTE's either easier or automatic as well, but I haven't run into any QTE's yet, so I'm unsure of exactly how this works. Oh, and there's a new " Customized " camera option. When this is enabled, you're field of view is basically doubled, similar to the RE6 camera options post-patch. It's a really great feature, and it really helps out when you're surrounded by enemies, and need to keep track of them. So yeah, really awesome port, and well worth the $20.
Thanks for the great overview! Goddamnit, this is going to be a long 2 week wait for the physical disc version.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
How bad is it they can't even spell their own game correctly "Resident Evil5" at least on the UK store/trophy list.

Every resident evil entry is named differently;

Resident Evil 0 <----- Correct
Resident Eviltm
RESIDENT EVIL 6
RESIDENT EVIL5
RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS 2

What will the next one be:

Resident EVIL 4

... it bugs me haha.

It's going to be "resident evil 4". Capcpom likes to have weirdly formatted titles for their RE games.

Neff

Apart from that one scene though, it's a huge, huge improvement so far over the console versions.

Yow, famous last words. I just did the QTE scene where Chris and Sheva are attacked by the bikers and it has big ugly frame drops compared to the 360 version.

I was just remarking in chat how nice the game looks, too, ha.

JayEH

Decided to get the digital version even though I'm getting physical when it comes out too. Too thirsty for RE right now.

Can't wait for physical release as i still have the steelbook for RE5 and god I hope re4 has a platinum.

Yeah I hope so too.

Top Bottom