• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPCS3 Is A New PS3 Emulator, Still In Early Stage, Boots Commercial Game

daitoqu

NieR RepliCant (Recompiler & Vulkan, i7-4770k)
NieR RepliCant (and Nier Gestalt) were improved recently by both graphics fixes from kd-11, and by the improved LLVM recompiler from Nekotekina. The graphics are substantially better looking now, with missing graphics, incorrect lighting, and broken shadows fixed, or at least improved. Moreover loading times are reduced, and frame rate is approximately two to three times higher than before. However some graphical issues persist, and more importantly the game isn't completely stable and will crash after a while. Nevertheless it is running quite a bit better today compared to earlier.

Join the hype train in our Discord server and keep up with future updates: https://discord.me/RPCS3

Support Nekotekina & kd-11 on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Nekotekina/

Read the quick start guide on how to get started: https://rpcs3.net/quickstart

Footage provided by:
RainKikyou, recorded on an i7-4770k @ 4,4 ghz.

dr_rus

What exactly is the recompiler?

There are basically two options on how to run a code which isn't native to some platform on this platform - either by creating what essentially is a virtual native environment (which is usually what is meant by the word "emulation") or by recompiling the code from its original form into a form which would be close to native for the platform you're trying to run it on. Second option usually provide faster performance, first option usually have broader compatibility.

Parsnip

Yes. Every game in this engine since 2014 explicitly and literally refuses to boot and enters a dead code path of doing nothing or even throwing an exception if the “display” doesn’t report supporting 59.94 hz. One can disassemble the binary, and Jarves did, and see that is how they programmed it. If refresh rate is not 59.94 hz, do not boot. No one will ever know why they did this.
Classic Koei Tecmo.

Lime

Okami HD went from absolutely nothing to fully and perfectly playable this month! Thanks to significant improvements to .sprx relocations by Numan and Nekotekina this game now runs at 1080p and 30 fps. A user also extensively tested the game and played it for hours with no issues.

:O :O :O :O

MUnited83

For you.
Did anyone manage to boot WET on this yet? Always fails on my end but not sure if it's just the settings that are screwed or something.

Shaneus

Holy shit. At first I thought there was nothing that could really interest me about this emulator, but they have After Burner Climax running at full speed?!? Wow.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
There are basically two options on how to run a code which isn't native to some platform on this platform - either by creating what essentially is a virtual native environment (which is usually what is meant by the word "emulation") or by recompiling the code from its original form into a form which would be close to native for the platform you're trying to run it on. Second option usually provide faster performance, first option usually have broader compatibility.
So which code is being recompiled? The PS3's or the game's?

daitoqu

Persona 5: Improved Graphics and Performance
The hardware requirements to run it at full speed are still high though. The video was recorded on an i5-4690K at 4.5GHz, but we have recently become aware that, for some yet unknown reason, Haswell/Broadwell CPUs are currently performing better than their Skylake/Kaby Lake counterparts. This makes performance much better on an i5-4690K when compared to a i5-6600K, i5-7600K and even i7-7700K, for example. (We do not yet have comparison data from Ryzen CPUs)

Nevertheless, this runs much better in comparison to our first coverage back in April, on which a more powerful i7-5930K was used.
We will keep working to increase performance so the game runs faster for everyone, specially on more modest hardware as well, so stay tuned for what's to come!

System requirements vary greatly from game to game (some run fine even on laptops, while RDR struggling to get above 5 fps on high-end machines). Latest fixes were released less than an hour ago, so there isn't much data about performance on other CPUs for now. But you can test it yourself.

Based on the post he quoted, I'm assuming he's talking about Persona 5, which (according to blog) actually runs better on older generation CPU's than newer ones.

Aretak

Man, it's looking like Persona 5 might be running at something close to full speed by the end of the year even. The progress they've made in just a few months is remarkable. PS3 emulation in a playable state seemed years off not so long ago.

Shaneus

Man, it's looking like Persona 5 might be running at something close to full speed by the end of the year even. The progress they've made in just a few months is remarkable. PS3 emulation in a playable state seemed years off not so long ago.
Can only hope the OG Xbox travels by similar leaps and bounds, emulation-wise.

BigEmil

Skate 3 is now Playable (i5-7600k, 970) with slow frame rates compared to the original release, and some graphical glitches
This channel Reznoire is Jediyoshi on Gaf right?

Also I really doubt he legitimately​ owns alll of those games for Wii U, PS3 etc emus up on his channel, there's some games that were digital only too like Sound Shapes, Scott Pilgrim Vs The World etc

Mivey

This makes me wonder, is there a cheat engine for RPCS3?
You could try to just use Cheat Engine. Depending how it emulates memory, it might require some custom settings. Though, isn't RPCS3 fairly high-level with this stuff? Just searching for integers of various sizes should be fine.
Or do you mean cheat codes?

Foffy

Banned
Peace Walker HD running nearly full speed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mjuU3-d-gw

A bit unrelated, but some PSP games got 60fps hacks, much like boosting the FPS on some PS2 and GC games in emulators.

Granted, Peace Walker on PS3 comes with the edge of all in-game cutscenes being done in-engine -- some scenes are prerecorded on PSP -- so I'm sure RPCS3 is more consistent for the game.

I would lose it if the emulator played Snake Eater better than PCSX2 currently can, or when MGS4 becomes playable in the emulator. How would it work for installs? Would the emulator hack and bypass around it, or did the game get patched down the line for a full install?

jediyoshi

I would lose it if the emulator played Snake Eater better than PCSX2 currently can, or when MGS4 becomes playable in the emulator. How would it work for installs? Would the emulator hack and bypass around it, or did the game get patched down the line for a full install?

Currently with games that need installs, they happen and that extra data just has to be written. I doubt there could be some universal way to bypass the system since I'm guessing those files getting called are packaged up before installation.

Playable MGS4 on PC is going to be a very special day. MGS4, Skate, Catherine, gods, too much good stuff

Tapejara

Is there a way to easily transfer digital titles from a PS3 to PC? I'm under the impression that digital titles don't use installs because the data is already on the PS3's HDD, so presumably if you have the digital version of MGS4 you could just use that to bypass the game's installs? Or am I completely wrong about this lol.

Murdamonk

Is there a way to easily transfer digital titles from a PS3 to PC? I'm under the impression that digital titles don't use installs because the data is already on the PS3's HDD, so presumably if you have the digital version of MGS4 you could just use that to bypass the game's installs? Or am I completely wrong about this lol.

Was MGS4 ever available in digital form on the PSN Store? I never knew.

Top Bottom