• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPCS3 Is A New PS3 Emulator, Still In Early Stage, Boots Commercial Game

bomblord1

Banned
Would love to see this get Ar Tonelico 3 running. Are you able to rip PS3 games for this with just a Blu-ray drive? Also do you need to extract a bios from a PS3?

Mergesort

lol reminded me of this:
hollow_man_2_2006_993x1400_66726.jpg

But great progress!

MUnited83

For you.
Would love to see this get Ar Tonelico 3 running. Are you able to rip PS3 games for this with just a Blu-ray drive? Also do you need to extract a bios from a PS3?
I believe you can just rip them with a Blu-ray drive, yes. The only thing that you need to get is the latest PS3 firmware, which you can download directly from Sony's own website and put directly on the emulator, no need to touch a PS3.

SURGEdude

So glad to see the Wii U and PS3 getting so much emulation love. These systems are unique enough architecturally that I doubt we will see much in the way of vendor supported BC style emulation in the future.

It's also a good thing that they are getting so much done while there is still a large base of people who understand all of the SDK quirks and tricks fresh in their minds.

lol reminded me of this:

But great progress!
Ni no Kuni renders outlines around characters, which is typically done by rendering a second copy of the model and either inverting the normals or culling front faces rather than backfaces so my guess would be that it has something to do with backface culling.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Maaaaan. If Persona 5 gets running well I might just sell my PS4 copy for a PS3 copy to emulate.

StereoVsn

Development has been fairly impressive actually. I might sign up on Paterson. There are quite a few games that I have and love on PS3 which a PC could possibly fix some issues with loading times, bad save systems and such.

Jacir

How is Warhawk on this emulator? One of my favorite games of all time and sadly can't play due to my broken PS3. I so wish there would be a ps4 remaster.

Bizzquik

Shaneus

I still can't believe we're getting progress like this for PS3, have a working Wii U emulator yet original Xbox emulation is still really basic :/

Bizzquik

I still can't believe we're getting progress like this for PS3, have a working Wii U emulator yet original Xbox emulation is still really basic :/

Yeah, there are some fun, weird games on OG Xbox that I would love to play again; its been too long.

Dereck

Yeah, there are some fun, weird games on OG Xbox that I would love to play again; its been too long.

there was an interesting post here on neoGAF some years ago explaining why we don't have an OG Xbox emulator

The answer is money and time. If we had devs that earn 40k a month, we would have a working xbox emulator soon.

If you want a working xbox emulator go to the Patreon page of the cxbx dev.
Don't know if you guys saw this as well

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=233913647#post233913647

PGamer

fucking juniors

Mergesort

New update!

I improved support for PS3 dynamic link libraries (PRX) and implemented new loading mode: it's called "Load liblv2.sprx" in settings (disable loading required libraries). This mode is much closer to the original PS3 behaviour, and some games started to work correctly in this mode, for example, Shovel Knight and FFX. In fact, many games could have improved.

Linux support: improved stability, ALSA audio backend is implemented for low-latency sound. Automatic Linux builds may be ready soon.

I'm going to continue to improve PRX functionality and LLVM recompiler, especially the interaction between them. Thanks everyone for your support.

roytheone

Impressive progress! I wonder if the launch of persona 5 will help the patreon a bit. Patreon seems like a God send for emulator developers.

Mergesort

Impressive progress! I wonder if the launch of persona 5 will help the patreon a bit. Patreon seems like a God send for emulator developers.

Srsly look through the list of people on Patreon. You will be surprised what kind of people get funded! There is a guy talking about aliens and abduction with over 2k patreons. Some people started hiding their earnings and only display amount of patreons.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wow Sony should steal this and give use PS3 backwards comp on PS5!

if they are planning on emulation for PS5, they must have the hardware to do that, this is still pretty intensive as a hardware solution.

Of course, i guess DLC stuff doesn't work for this emulator cause its not connected to PSN or...?

Mergesort

if they are planning on emulation for PS5, they must have the hardware to do that, this is still pretty intensive as a hardware solution.

Of course, i guess DLC stuff doesn't work for this emulator cause its not connected to PSN or...?

If we get an 8 core chip it shouldn't be a problem.

daitoqu

From dev's Discord channel:
Earlier someone posted proof that Persona 5 is locked at 30 fps. Maybe this is true on real hardware, but the engine doesn't care, and on RPCS3 it can reach more than that with no problems (given a fast enough CPU). Someone did:
NmuoY8F.png

So RPCS3 is apparently the only way to (in theory, in the future) play P5 at 60 fps...

fvng

They have more access to tech documentation and could spit out an emulator better than any community effort.

also that wouldnt happen, they're trying to sell you on their ps3 streaming service.

Top Bottom