• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: another day another potential PS5 "leak" via Reddit, 12.9TF, 56CU and more

Shin

Banned

jUiU3qc.jpg

Barakov

The only thing that's worrying is the mention of it being a "premium brand" and "that will be the messaging focus". Everything else sounds great. Especially the mention of nothing being said PSVR2. That will allow Sony to avoid a kinect situation. That being said I'm even more interested in what MS has in their system.

leo-j

Premium as in a premium gaming experience in comparison to

Xcloud Xbox streaming platform and google stadia streaming platform.

12.9TF and 24GB of ram is nuts, but fall 2020 specs like that sound expected tbh. Considering phones are pushing 8GB of ram lol.

LordOfChaos

RT in dedicated hardware or software was one of my big questions. Almost any compute capable GPU can run RT, but there's orders of magnitude difference in the amount of rays that can be casted on even the fastest standard GPU vs dedicated hardware pathways like RTX.

No idea if this leak is legit, the photo is more evidence than we usually get but the conference could be anything.

Codes 208

Says "may not be as powerful as some think" but then goes on to say Sony wants it to be a "premium product" and close to 13tf which is a little more than most thought and will make alot of ppl happy.
Actually from the announcement and the leaks prior many of us were aiming around 14TFlops so 13 is a little under. Not sure where you got the 8-10 from either.

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
Says "may not be as powerful as some think" but then goes on to say Sony wants it to be a "premium product" and close to 13tf which is a little more than most thought and will make alot of ppl happy.

This leak I tend to believe but who knows. Most of us figure it'll be close to 12tf not 8,9 or 10 like others mentioned after the vague leak.

Literally my first thought as well. Wonder if the "not as powerful" comment just means Sony knows Xbox is going harder then them on specs/price.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Actually from the announcement and the leaks prior many of us were aiming around 14TFlops so 13 is a little under. Not sure where you got the 8-10 from either.

The 8,10, etc is not tales from my ass but posters on this site and on the other site have thrown those numbers around trying to downplay PS5 specs tht no one knows about.

13tf is more than enough of an upgrade and powerful especially if the RT hardware implementation is true. Games are going to look godly. Most thought it would be RT via a software solution because RT hardware on PC is expensive.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
RT hardware Co engineered with Sony means MS will have to find another solution or also co engineer their own version with AMD?

Yeah they will probably add tht if they didn't have it implemented already. One thing is for sure Sony will have something no one knows about and Microsoft may also. Those secret features we don't know about is what has me waiting anxiously.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
RT in dedicated hardware or software was one of my big questions. Almost any compute capable GPU can run RT, but there's orders of magnitude difference in the amount of rays that can be casted on even the fastest standard GPU vs dedicated hardware pathways like RTX.

No idea if this leak is legit, the photo is more evidence than we usually get but the conference could be anything.

And this right here is why I think MS going with a 4 TF next-gen console but aimed at 1080p consumers will be a terrible idea.

Ar¢tos

Yeah they will probably add tht if they didn't have it implemented already. One thing is for sure Sony will have something no one knows about and Microsoft may also. Those secret features we don't know about is what has me waiting anxiously.
I think Sony can't waste precious die space with RT cores. So they probably will have some modified CUs optimized to help with RT calculations, but not totally useless on non-RT scenarios.

Gamernyc78

Banned
At the end of the day what bodes well is the fact that Sony (as in the whole Sony corporation) has made Playstation division the Centerpiece of the brand due to the enormous revenue and profits it is bringing in. PS5 will be premium, will be a great piece of tech and well priced because Sony knows the Golden egg it has, they have no other choice.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I believe it has more to do with what MS is trying to do... a 4TF XB2 and 12TFs XB2 released at same time.

Sony will have only one PS5... the 12TFs.

I swear that strategy will bite MS in the ass. There's literally no way exclusive XB2 games will compete with PS5 games if they have to work on a 4 TF console. Especially if the PS5 will have RT based hardware (probably due to them going HBM2 which saves physical space in the console).

mckmas8808

At the end of the day what bodes well is the fact that Sony (as in the whole Sony corporation) has made Playstation division the Centerpiece of the brand due to the enormous revenue and profits it is bringing in. PS5 will be premium, will be a great piece of tech and well priced because Sony knows the Easter egg it has, they have no other choice.

That extra cash may allow them to take a bigger lose on each console sold.

Gamernyc78

Banned
That extra cash may allow them to take a bigger lose on each console sold.

They will take a lose imo and are ready to do so just not as bad as it was with Ps3. Software sales have been great for them so they'd still be profitable every quarter.

I'm hoping tht psplus premium comes true and includes Psnow. They have my money if well priced.

Ellery

The room looks like someone works in a hotel and set it up in 2 minutes while the room was empty to "fake" this setting just to create some (false verification) to boost his post.

If you ask me 12.9TF is way too much. Especially 12.9TF + hardware RT. I believe it when I see it, but for now I disregard this as just another fake.

Dabaus

Banned
Xbox leakers were spreading that joint right after DF were guessing 8-10TF.

What if Microsoft's entire Anaconda strategy was banking on Sony going with 8 tflops and its 2013 all over again? Probably wont happen but the meltdowns would be glorious.

With all that said i dont know how to do the math for terraflops( its something like the CU'S multiplied then dicvied by a million or something) but anyways someone said that the 56 cus dont add up to the 12.9 amount. Has someone smarter than me done the terraflop formula calculation to see if it equals 12.9?

Last edited:
Top Bottom