• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Crash Bandicoot is back... In Skylanders

The difference in reaction between this thread regarding Crash in Skylanders and the thread for the new Lego Dimensions stuff regarding the dozen or so IPs they're getting for that game is kind of amazing.

Do people just hate Skylanders that much? They're pretty well-made games and the new one is adding a Diablo style loot system alongside their character creation stuff to give it a lot more depth. Guest star figures should just make people more into it instead of making them throw a fit, but that's not what's going on here at all.

From an outsiders perspective, I think their dislike is that Activision is taking IPs once loved (spyro and crash) and doing something they don't like with it in the same medium they were created for.

Ridley327

From an outsiders perspective, I think their dislike is that Activision is taking IPs once loved (spyro and crash) and doing something they don't like with it in the same medium they were created for.

They've always had platforming elements in them, too, so it's not like they're worlds removed from what Spyro and Crash were doing on the PS1.

meh.jpg

this image is funnier after the truth in UC4 lol

They've always had platforming elements in them, too, so it's not like they're worlds removed from what Spyro and Crash were doing on the PS1.

Yeah, Spyro plays pretty much identical in Skylanders to how he played in his own games and Crash's playstyle fits into the Skylander stuff pretty perfectly too (with one or two extra abilities). It's a good fit in terms of play mechanics, though the DK and Bowser redesigns went really crazy with new abilities and got kind of weird. So who knows what they'll do here.

Ridley327

If it's PS4 exclusive, then it's obviously a tie-in to a greater Crash project that's also PS4 exclusive. Get hype

Or it's Sony extending their current cross-marketing deal with Activision by going in on Skylanders now that Disney Infinity won't interfere and came up with this as the big sway for getting the game on their platforms.

They're not tone deaf enough to have crash show up in just skylanders.

More than likely it's part of a deal with Activision. Sony gets a crash game, Activision gets to make some cash off him in Skylanders. The real question is whether it's Activision licensing crash to Sony, or Sony buying the IP and letting Activision use him in partnership with them.

A-V-B

They're not tone deaf enough to have crash show up in just skylanders.

More than likely it's part of a deal with Activision. Sony gets a crash game, Activision gets to make some cash off him in Skylanders. The real question is whether it's Activision licensing crash to Sony, or Sony buying the IP and letting Activision use him in partnership with them.

Crash Bandicoot: Homecoming

NMFried

The last Skylanders game was pretty fantastic.

This could be cool, but it won't bother me either way. Would like new Crash, but let's be honest: this is better than a Robomodo Crash or something.

Ridley327

Another thing to point out. The next Skylanders Game has Kart Racing Multiplayer.

The last game featured that pretty extensively, so that's not a big surprise.

If I was a betting man, I think that Sony could have worked something out with Activision and Toys for Bob to do something that's a little above and beyond for Crash, like having a level or two that can be accessed only by his figure and being arranged more like the classic games, while also having him be an exclusive character for that platform, like Bowser and DK are on Nintendo platforms. I can actually already see the big promo image of Spyro and Crash right next to each other, which is sure to get people talking.

troy-X

Neo Member
Why would anyone want it to be true ? Are you sociopaths or something that you get a kick out of seeing people upset ?

Ya know.

Sony has kind of made a habit of joke announcements to rile people up.

FF7 PC on PS4 before announcing the remake 6 months later.

Street Fighter 4 Remastered before announcing SFV later in the show.

World of Final Fantasy....

I bet someone is really bummed their dumb joke has been blown.

I totally dont expect the new real Crash game to be what anyone hopes for though. It will be a budget activsiion game and budget activision games dont have a good history.

BroBot

I'm streaming Crash 1. Because I'm heart-broken at the thought of this news being the only Crash news we get this E3... And I want to relive the old Crash games for comfort as I dwell on that... What a day this has been.

fernoca

It wouldn't be surprising.
And since Sony no longer has a deal with Disney Infinity, Skylanders always sold the least on PlayStation platforms they're probably doing it like with Infinity to grab some sales.

The Skylanders games are technically better than Infinity and Lego and more polished. Is a shame that many put them aside just because of Activision. Whatever happens with Crash on this is a decision that Sony was involved too.

Petrae

Why would anyone want it to be true ? Are you sociopaths or something that you get a kick out of seeing people upset ?

I won't be upset. If anything, Crash in Skylanders might convince me to give it a look.

Then again, I never bought into the "OH SHIT NEW CRASH GAME OMFGBBQ!!!" hype. I never believed a new game was coming. I believe that ATVI still has the Crash Bandicoot IP locked up... and I'm okay with it.

Hype is fine, until it gets fucking ridiculous (see also: No Man's Sky delay). The hyperbolic "Crash is better off dead!" bullshit is just hilarious. If you buy into unfounded hype, it's nobody's fault but your own if the hype doesn't deliver.

Ridley327

It wouldn't be surprising.
And since Sony no longer has a deal with Disney Infinity, Skylanders always sold the least on PlayStation platforms they're probably doing it like with Infinity to grab some sales.

The Skylanders games are technically better than Infinity and Lego and more polished. Is a shame that many put them aside just because of Activision. Whatever happens with Crash on this is a decision that Sony was involved too.

Yeah, I thought I remembered seeing Skylanders always bringing up the rear on Playstation platforms. Sony has struggled to get younger audiences back from the PS2->PS3 transition, which is why they've been so gung-ho with the various Disney deals. This is potentially a really good move for them, since they stand to bring in a new audience to the series that wouldn't have looked at it otherwise.

I think a lot of people would be really surprised to see the quality of the Skylanders games. Toys for Bob and Vicarious Visions are not sleeping at the wheel at all on those games.

Top Bottom