• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 4 details leak through survey

diaspora

Than a game you haven't even seen yet. 0/10, didn't even complain about "dice-roll combat."
Would you like to pay 200 APEX™ to speed this Strike Team up?

ME1 was worse than DAI's exploration if you can even call it that in ME1. At least you can speed of war table missions by talking to and recruiting mercenaries, merchants, soldiers, and conscripting former enemies.

The next Mass Effect game takes place in the Helius Cluster (a cluster of 100s of solar systems in the Andromeda Galaxy), far removed by time and space from Commander Shepard’s heroic acts and the final events of the Mass Effect trilogy. You are a pathfinder, a combat trained but un-tested explorer leading an expedition into the Helius cluster to establish a new home for humanity. As you explore this sprawling series of solar systems (over 4x the size of Mass Effect 3), collecting resources and building colonies, you will encounter the savagery of untamed lands in the form of cut-throat outlaws and warring alien races. To survive and colonize the wild reaches of space, you will need to grow your arsenal, your ship, your crew and make strategic (and often uneasy) alliances to fight against increasingly menacing foes. Along the way, you will encounter the remains of a once powerful and mysterious alien race, the Remnant, whose forgotten technology holds the key to gaining power in this region of the galaxy. As you uncover who the Remnant were, and the mysteries their ruins contain, you are drawn into a violent race to find the source of their forgotten technology that will determine the fate of humanity.

This sounds almost exactly like the original trilogy.

A-V-B

The Mako in ME1 was sort of bare bones and repetitive, yeah, but its heart was in the right place. It just needed more design work.

Then it got shot in the back of the head in ME2, along with ME1's unique worlds also acting like hubs, sooooo... :/

ME1 was worse than DAI's exploration if you can even call it that in ME1. At least you can speed of war table missions by talking to and recruiting mercenaries, merchants, soldiers, and conscripting former enemies.
Yeah, it would be almost impossible for the MAKO to be worse this time around. Even walking around the citadel in ME1 was boring.

VinFTW

Mass Effect 1 is still my all time favorite game. Waking up and reading this was perhaps the best saturday morning coffee/GAF session I could have ever asked for.

So hyped.

diaspora

I wasn't talking about exploration, friendo.

Fog of war doesn't make sense given the lack of maps the ME series seems to have in general (I've never understood this actually, why), it'd still be a step up. So long as it has an appropriate reward I can;t imagine what the issue with strike teams would be anyway. These aren't inherently good or bad things.

Durante

DA:I seems to be the template for their future games, and as long as they sell well and get critically acclaimed I can't see it changing. The core gameplay is what it is, but they want to add lots of meta-game content surrounding the core mechanics. War table, timed missions, gathering crafting materials for more tacked on systems built around that core.

It's the ubisoft model for padding out game length. Instead of expensive content you have to spend a long time planning, voice acting, etc, you can just add in another shard to pick up there. And another there. And hey another building to climb, or outpost to clear! Hey look, our game is 100 hours long, just like you said you wanted.
Well, Ubisoft's AC games sell double-digit millions each and they have shown that they can do that annually. Unlike the Bethesda/Rockstar type open world games which sell even better perhaps per installment, but need long production cycles.

Bioware has done nothing else than chasing what they perceive to be the next big thing in AAA game design for at least 5 years now, so it's not surprising that at this point in time they settled on the Ubi approach.

adj_noun

Ok, now do a survey leaking that new Bioware IP they've been working on.

I'd like to know more than "it has trees". ;_;

a916

More Mass Effect? Where do I sign up?!

(that whole Remnant thing is way too similar to finding the Prothean beacon but really hard to judge because we know nothing really)

Ralemont

not me
Mass Effect 1 had its problems, but none of those problems involved Inquisition-type "strike teams," unlockable fog-of-war maps, or F2P currencies.

Indeed, instead it had a few matriarch writings and nothing besides.

None of the things you mentioned I have an issue with in theory, especially since you can actually play the strike team missions, and since I will be playing the MP I like that I can use it for currency in the SP. They aren't tied storywise so really there is no issue for me.

Daingurse

Honestly sounds like a lot of potential, but I am concerned about how it will be executed. Sounds like you could easily implement Dragon Age Inquisition's style of questing into this, which is not what I want at all. Guess I'm cautiously optimistic.

Yeul

I've said it before but although I loved DA:I a lot I'm hoping that they continue to improve on DA:I's approach if they are going to go that route. Obviously the game sold well enough for them that they are going to take some things and bring it over to their new titles. The thing about DA:I's side quests is that yeah, a lot of it wasn't tied to the main storyline and it was hard for people to leave the first area alone before continuing to the other if they were completionist. The sense of urgency wasn't really there considering what was supposedly at stake in the main questline. I would say that they did better in their Jaws of Hakkon DLC where, yes, there were still fetch quests, but they were much better integrated into the main plot of the DLC's story. They've acknowledged that it's something they wanted to work on and so I'm hoping that sentiment carries over to the ME team as well. Considering the fact that the exploration aspect is now on a grander scale than DA:I it will be easy to fall into that trap of okay go get this much fuel or that much food, etc. etc. I'm hoping those sort of things get allocated to the War Table-esque DA:I timed missions where you send your "agents" so to speak if they are going to go that route vs. say actual side missions can be used to tie into the main storyline which is something they desperately need to do. I don't want to see them fall into the same pattern of galactic readiness resources again.

Luke_Wal

Everyone complaining about DA:I may be out of luck... They were trumpeting that as "the blueprint for BioWare games going forward."

Raven77

100's of planets to explore???

Are they setting this up to try and kill No Mans Sky or are they playing off of some of the procedural space exploration that will be the hot gameplay thing in the future? No way they can render and populate 100's of planets, even if only a small part is explorable, and not have it be at least somewhat procedurally generated.

inky

Bioware has done nothing else than chasing what they perceive to be the next big thing in AAA game design for at least 5 years now, so it's not surprising that at this point in time they settled on the Ubi approach.

They've named Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and Skyrim as influences and audience targets at some point or another, so yes, pretty much.

Indeed, instead it had a few matriarch writings and nothing besides.

None of the things you mentioned I have an issue with in theory, especially since you can actually play the strike team missions, and since I will be playing the MP I like that I can use it for currency in the SP. They aren't tied storywise so really there is no issue for me.
I was saying that this post of yours:
Everything wrong with current open world games will be in Mass Effect 4.

Shame
Blame everyone who voted mass effect 1 NeoGAFs most essential rpg, I guess.
makes no sense in the context of what we've learned, given that ME1 didn't have these same open-world issues.

Saw the OP and I like the idea, it's not immediately another "rah-rah save the Galaxy" deal (at least not at face value) and I can get behind the premise of exploring new frontiers and navigating relationships between the various races/factions. From the started I knew I wanted a clean slate from the original trilogy and not have this be about another galactic-scale foe, but instead scale down to a smaller, more intimate adventure like Firefly; hopefully Bioware is thinking along those same lines.

About the planets: I was told they have a certain toolchain or some program (forgive me, tech isn't my strong suit) that's crafted for them in Frostbite 3 that's allowing them to generate terrain/create planets through a random generator. They go in afterwards and tweak and detail each planet to make them unique and their own thing.

diaspora

About the planets: I was told they have a certain toolchain or some program (forgive me, tech isn't my strong suit) that's unique for them in Frostbite 3 that's allowing them to generate terrain/create planets through a random generator. They go in afterwards and tweak and detail each planet to make them unique and their own thing.

With that, the target was around 100 planets so I'm unsure where that stands now.

Ah, so that's probably the upper limit. Still huge.

MattyG

Banned
You know what would be amazing? If you could fully explore every planet. Like, head in one direction and eventually end up where you started.

It'll never happen but let me dream.

Tovarisc

Bioware really took to Ubisoft on how to fill up games with bloat it seems.

"Ancient race called Remnant has left beacons floating in the space. These beacons were used to map solar systems in which they float, but has long time ago switched into standby mode. You can reactivate these beacons as you explore and gain knowledge about planets and moons in solar systems [read: points of interest, collectibles, side quest markers...]"

Sounds great (love collectathons in DA3) but The Remnants?

Really?

They cannot think of any other sci-fi story than ancient, long gone civilization holding the keys to saving of the Universe, no?

god please don't put in the bloated busywork nonsense that infested Inquisition.

This is exactly what it sounds like tbh :/

I don't mind it broadly speaking, but the ratio of interesting unique RPG content to generic AAA bar filling mission design was way off. It was like 90/10 in DA:I.

Lakitu

st5fu
About the planets: I was told they have a certain toolchain or some program (forgive me, tech isn't my strong suit) that's crafted for them in Frostbite 3 that's allowing them to generate terrain/create planets through a random generator. They go in afterwards and tweak and detail each planet to make them unique and their own thing.

With that, the target was around 100 planets so I'm unsure where that stands now.

Are any of these planets part of the main narrative path?

Ralemont

not me
I was saying that this post of yours:

makes no sense in the context of what we've learned, given that ME1 didn't have these same open-world issues.

The return to open environments in the first place is due to ME1 fans, and knowing that if ME1 was released today its side content would be ripped apart, they know they need to add toys to play with out there.

Poor Bioware can't win. People have been asking for ME to return to the more ME1-style of gameplay (especially after ME3), and now that they did everyone's calling them Ubisoft :(

Oh my god, this sounds AMAZING! I love the idea of exploring and building things up in new territory. So damn cool.

Get HYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

As long as this doesn't completely ignore everything that happened in the last game it could be okay.

You HAVE to reference the Reapers and Shep and stuff that happened. You can't just ignore the last 3 games. The ending you can leave ambiguous (nobody really knows etc etc) but you have to at least mention this stuff.

Steel

Banned
As long as this doesn't completely ignore everything that happened in the last game it could be okay.

You HAVE to reference the Reapers and Shep and stuff that happened. You can't just ignore the last 3 games. The ending you can leave ambiguous (nobody really knows etc etc) but you have to at least mention this stuff.

Nah, they're better off completely abandoning that ship. Make it basically a complete reboot, please.

diaspora

Nah, they're better off completely abandoning that ship. Make it basically a complete reboot, please.

Leaving the galaxy and moving years into the future makes this almost a soft-reboot. Whatever happened had happened, but it doesn't matter anymore. Probably left as a codex entry, and that's fine imo.

daxy

Mako's back? I'm down. Still, I'm not feeling the ancient alien technology storyline hook. Seems really uninspired and they already did that thing in the original trilogy.

But if there aren't all the council races from ME1-3 (I NEED A TURIAN SIDEKICK) then why call it Mass Effect at all? Why not *insert generic other sci-fi setting here*?

If it's gonna be in the same universe then the giant robot Cthulhu's that nearly killed all sentient life are kind of a big deal.

Kosma

Banned
"Ancient race called Remnant has left beacons floating in the space. These beacons were used to map solar systems in which they float, but has long time ago switched into standby mode. You can reactivate these beacons as you explore and gain knowledge about planets and moons in solar systems [read: points of interest, collectibles, side quest markers...]"

*shudder*

Top Bottom