• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Quantum Break delayed to early 2016

Jingo

Told this before in the thread about uncharted being delayed, this is the generation of the delays, im not even surprised.

gaming_noob

I'm not sure if they should show anymore of the game this E3. Show when it's closer to release because they've already talked about it the past three(?) E3's?

It was actually Phantom Dust. Friend of mine at Microsoft said it had an internal release scheduled for November but, well we know what happened to them lol.

Knew it lol. I was surprised people were expecting that game to not make 2015 before they dropped the studio.

do you think the reception of the order may have scared them a little? if i was them i'd be more then panicked. the demo we saw a while back seemed quite similar. cinematic walking sections. QTE interaction. small doses of combat. i liked the order and loved the look of QB back then. but it's clearly an approach to making games the critics don't seem to be a fan of

It looked more 'gamey' than The Order, but if the reviews for that game made them consider their approach to combat, then more power to them. I'd love to see something as dynamic as that Uncharted 4 demo, but with time powers instead.

RiverBed

Banned
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/83/831fed82a85437a7c7c47a373d3141b042593d8db8d7fd174207724f486426bf.jpg/IMG]

[SPOILER]Someone should just post this anytime an anticipated game is delayed.[/SPOILER[/QUOTE]

Archaic viewpoint. Look at BF4 launch month and this month. Just showing that no 'words of wisdom', however obvious they are, work everywhere.

As for this game, I think it's going to tank. The delay has nothing to do with it, it's the gameplay and the way the game was presented. Wish them luck.

TomShoe

Banned
...I'm not sure I follow.

In 2015, you can update a game quite significantly after launch to change its quality. It's a fundamental part of how service games work.

What does The Last of Us have to do with that?

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

That a delayed game can be good. However I don't think they understood the point that was being made. It was the latter point the person who they quoted was disagreeing. A rushed game can be fixed now!

The quote's nice, and all, but that implies that the game is delayed until it's good. I think quite frequently delayed games eventually get released because they simply can't afford to delay them any longer!

No, it's not that simple, there's plenty of examples of delayed games being mediocre or disappointing.

It mostly works for Nintendo though.

This quote is old and while accurate at the time in terms of consoles, doesn't really hold up today thanks to the mentality of ship now and patch later.

It's the primacy effect.

First impressions are vital when a game releases. What I mean is that any game that makes a poor first impression, whether it's because of bugs or other technical errors, is likely to receive a more negative bias than if the same game was released and performed flawlessly.

I'm moving into hypothetical territory here. The Last of Us was delayed from May to June. Of course it was only one month, but had TLoU shipped with game-crippling bugs, would it have received as much critical acclaim as it once had? I doubt it. Vice versa could be said for games that had serious issues on release like DriveClub and MCC. Of course, both games will be patched in the coming months so they attain a greater level of functionality, but that doesn't excuse the fact that the game was broken at launch. It's impossible to measure how many sales positive acclaim, or consumer goodwill both games lost because they were rushed out the door (more so MCC than DC). The launch issues for both games are going to linger for the entirety of the game's lifespan. Not in terms of functionality, but in perception.

EDIT: Added some quotes asking for an explanation.

Chobel

This is not true, I work for that site.

The reason he posted it was the post with the Xbox fall lineup not mentioning QB, he clearly states rumor tho and he doesn't work at microsoft

LOL! This means the rumor is as credible as any other random rumor out there.

this game is coming to PC isnt it? why the fuck do i own an Xbox One again?

A PC version was never announced or hinted at and this seems like a single player focused game so there isn't much reason for cross play either. I'm guessing it won't come to PC with the IP being owned by MS. If it does come to PC, it'll likely be in order to make a little extra cash if the game doesn't sell very well on XB1.

LOL! This means the rumor is as credible as any other random rumor out there.

Yup. Tales from my ass.

This could work in QBs favour. This seems like the type of games that would get lost amidst a busy winter holiday but a February - April launch date would give it a lot more attention similar to how games like dying light and thief have sold well.

shandy706

Will buy when ready.

I'll be sucked into Forza 6 when it hits anyway. I may grab Halo 5 now if it's amazing. Halo would have lost to Remedy in a head to head game launch.

A PC version was never announced or hinted at and this seems like a single player focused game so there isn't much reason for cross play either. I'm guessing it won't come to PC with the IP being owned by MS. If it does come to PC, it'll likely be in order to make a little extra cash if the game doesn't sell very well on XB1.

After that GDC conference and considering the studio and their prior releases, I think it will. Probably not day and date, but eventually.

do you think the reception of the order may have scared them a little? if i was them i'd be more then panicked. the demo we saw a while back seemed quite similar. cinematic walking sections. QTE interaction. small doses of combat. i liked the order and loved the look of QB back then. but it's clearly an approach to making games the critics don't seem to be a fan of

It's a Remedy game. I don't think they will go into full "cinematic experience" mode. The story is even set up to open up gameplay options. The character is stuck in a time bubble (or something like that) and because of that, he can use time powers.

I think early 2016 would be the best time to release Quantum Break from a business perspective.

Maybe that could be another reason to delay. With MS focusing on TR this year, they didn't want to snub QB. Going by history, MS will once more have a huge drought next year so at least now they can soften it up a bit with QB

NickFire

My initial reaction to delay threads always go one of two ways. If its a game I was considering getting at release, I am angry and my day is ruined. If its not, I want to commend the devs / pubs for giving the game the time it needs to be properly finished.

Spaghetti

regardless of the rumour being true or not, i think remedy are probably looking at the order's reception and getting a little bit nervous. i remember during the quantum break gameplay demo people were saying the same things they'd said about the order in previews, how it's a very standard 3rd person shooter that's a bit in love with its narrative.

Wizman23

Banned
I certainly hope not. I want Remedy to make the game they want to make. Hopefully they didn't get scared by the outlandish hate the press gave the Order.

The outlandish hate was 100% deserved. If QB is anything like the Order I hope the entire fucking project is canned.

Mdk7

I don't have that much faith in the project, honestly... the TV series in particular is what concerns me the most.

jem0208

831fed82a85437a7c7c47a373d3141b042593d8db8d7fd174207724f486426bf.jpg

Someone should just post this anytime an anticipated game is delayed.
But it's just not true. Problems can be patched. BF4 was fucked but now it works, the MCC was completely fucked and now it mostly works.

blakep267

It would've been buried if released this year tbh. I could understand if tomb raider or battlefront weren't coming in the fall. But there's ginna be way too many games that Ms would be advertising so it may have gotten overlooked ( division, ac, tomb raider, COd, Halo)

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This is Remedy being Remedy. They always delay. Microsoft probably even knew about it when they wrote the check for Tomb Raider (if I'm being a cynic).

What I fear for is Halo 5. In no scenario does that play out well. If they encounter a delay they push it through anyway because Q4 for Microsoft depends on it. Buggy launch and broken game as a result. It's only that or cut content which leaves players with too little to do. They only have Call of Duty for their FPS line-up then and that'll sell better on PS4.

Also, I expect every game this generation to be delayed. Games are hard to make.

Odah

Banned
I will get the game day one but I wasn't anticipating it like a idk, Fallout 4 or something so...I can wait. If it helps the game for the better then this is good news. Hope they improve the gameplay part so it doesn't become boring/repitive as the gameplay footage indicated.

Top Bottom