• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Roundup: Sony's 1080p 5-inch flagships for Q1 2013 - Yuga & Odin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight77

"Thank you, we've updated the source with Akira's name and the forum thread.

Regards,

PA Team"

As promised justice has been done!

Akira

Good work, sir. To be honest though, I didn't care so much that I wasn't credited. I actually chuckled seeing that forum's watermark on the pics. But thanks for the kind deed!

Anyway I didn't find any new information or rumor this week. Maybe Sony has tightened their "security" so we don't get any leaks until the announcement, which could be 5-6 weeks away! If they announce it at CES, I just hope Sony will launch it globally in March (probably the best case scenario). Otherwise a wait of more than 2-3 months would eat away at a lot of the interest and hype in this phone, which is why I would prefer it to be shown at MWC. Another thing Sony can do is have their own special conference for the Yuga/Odin/Xperia line.

So I was thinking about a new naming system for Sony mobiles, I think they should base it off the new Nexus naming convention so we would get:

Xperia 3 - Low-range 3.5"
Xperia 4 - Mid-range 4"
Xperia 5 - Top-range 5" (Odin)
Xperia 5R - Top-range 5" with water resistence.
Xperia 6 - Phablet
Xperia 9 - Tablet
Xperia 13 - XL tablet

It is also similar to the NEX naming convention, and once that has settled in, they can just build the brand for each size, and give newer versions new letters after the number, similar to the NEX range.

Akira

Yup, I was thinking Sony should go for that Nexus-style naming scheme. The current letter scheme is just too confusing and all over the place (J, P, S, W, U, T?)

I always come into these threads hoping that these phones will run Windows 8, but always leave disappointed.

For the same reasons Sony won't release a Nexus phone, they will also not release a WP8 device. They see it as a fast track to commoditisation where hardware vendors have just one major differentiator, price. With Android hardware vendors can differentiate with software and hardware and remember that Sony have an ecosystem to push. That might not be a big deal right now, but next year PS-Mobile and the Unlimited services are going to pushed very hard on Sony devices. Something they would not be able to do on WP8 or Nexus without coming to an agreement with MS or Google.

Mario007

So I was thinking about a new naming system for Sony mobiles, I think they should base it off the new Nexus naming convention so we would get:

Xperia 4 - Mid-range 4"
Xperia 6 - Phablet
Xperia 9 - Tablet
Xperia 13 - XL tablet

It is also similar to the NEX naming convention, and once that has settled in, they can just build the brand for each size, and give newer versions new letters after the number, similar to the NEX range.

I was thinking about the naming convention and while the Nexus one doesn't sound bad, I still prefer the 2011 range naming scheme. Arc, Neo, Ray, Pro and Mini are very nice additions to the Xperia name and very nicely differentiate the phones. Something along similar lines would have been great. For example, I think Xperia Arc 2 would have been a much better name for the Xperia T or Xperia Light would have been a better name for Xperia S.

Mario007

PS mobile? playstation mobile? will that even work on touch screens or will they have speicific phones for that?

It's already working on Sony PS certified phones and tablets, and soon will extend to hardware partner devices.

It's just the xperia T + LTE + Dust-proof and waterproof.

And smaller display, with bigger bezel. Apparently it's the first proper Sony phone.

Btw sorry for the double post, I'm on my tablet.

Xperia 4 - Mid-range 4"
Xperia 6 - Phablet
Xperia 9 - Tablet
Xperia 13 - XL tablet

Where would the vita tablet and vita phone fall on that? Lol

Xperia 5V/9V?

I was just messing around as I don't even know if that's coming even though I think it should. If they were to do it they should separate it from the Xperia line though, don't you think? Keep Xperia for android phones. Unless they replace the vita OS with android, or dual boot it. Considering they are pretty paranoid, about piracy, want their own ecosystem, and people can already play psm games on any android machine by rooting it, I kinda doubt they would go that route.

By the way what size do you mean on your proposed xperia 9 and 13? 7 and 10 inches?

I read somewhere that Sony is not interested in the 7" tablet market.

I don't know where to put this so I'll put it here:

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/23407/Sony_Mobile_overtakes_HTC_in_Android_market.aspx

Latest figures show the Xperia manufacturer overtook HTC during the summer, selling 500,000 Android units in the UK to HTC’s 440,000, although both lost market share to Samsung, with its Android sales standing at 3.2 million.

#2 android player in the UK, but still a tiny fraction compared to Samsung.

Perron confirmed Sony Mobile is considering other operating systems besides Android but added, ‘Android is probably the best fit’ for the manufacturer currently because it offers ‘easy and unified access across the Sony portfolio’. ‘We are discussing other alternatives and we are open to other possibilities providing the platform enables us to build on that tradition,’ he added.

Possibly WM8 or vita OS.

noobie

Banned
Concept Photos of Yuga

One of the high-end smartphones that Japanese mobile phone maker Sony is expected to bring to the market in the beginning of the next year has leaked online as Sony Yuga, and the first concept device based on its specs is now available for your viewing pleasure.

Coming from designer Kanishka Sanjaya, the Sony Xperia Yuga concept phone looks highly appealing, while also boasting impressive hardware specifications.

The smartphone was designed with a 5-inch FHD IPS+ LED backlit TFT screen with Mobile Bravia Engine 2 and White Magic technology.

The handset’s 1080 x 1920 pixel screen can deliver a 441ppi pixel density and is protected by the Corning Gorilla Glass 2.

Inside the smartphone, there’s a 1.7 GHz quad-core Krait CPU (APQ8064 Snapdragon S4 pro chipset) with Adreno 320 GPU to deliver great performance capabilities to users.

2GB of RAM complement the processor, along with 32GB of internal memory and a microSD memory card slot with support for up to 64GB of external storage.

On the back, the Sony Xperia Yuga concept sports a 13-megapixel photo snapper with Exmor RS lens, LED + Xenon flash, and HDR video recording capabilities. It is complemented by a 2MP camera for making video calls.

The specs list of this concept phone also includes LTE, HSUPA, EDGE connectivity, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, HDMI via MHL, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot, and Wi-Fi Direct. The smartphone is powered by a 3,200 mAh Li-ion battery.

Xperia Yuga runs under Google’s Android 4.2 Jelly Bean operating system right from the start, and also features xLoud for speakers and a multi-window option to run multiple apps at the same time.

Enthusiasts will certainly jump on this device, should Sony indeed decide to release a model with similar specs in the beginning of the next year. For the time being, however, this is only a concept phone, so don’t get your hopes too high

Sony-Xperia-Yuga-Concept-Packs-a-5-FHD-Screen-Android-4-2-2.png

Sony-Xperia-Yuga-Concept-Packs-a-5-FHD-Screen-Android-4-2-3.jpg

Akira

It's like that person didn't even see the leaked shots of Yuga or any of the second half 2012 Xperia phones.

Just saw this at Esato:

t02200196_0720064212311086980.jpg

Yuga's AnTuTu score is 19792, compared to other S4 Pro handsets: 17500 Nexus 4, 19000+ Droid DNA

noobie

Banned
It's like that person didn't even see the leaked shots of Yuga or any of the second half 2012 Xperia phones.

Just saw this at Esato:

t02200196_0720064212311086980.jpg

Yuga's AnTuTu score is 19792, compared to other S4 Pro handsets: 17500 Nexus 4, 19000+ Droid DNA

Thats an impressive score.. usually sony dont very high on the chart. look like they have done some optimization.

Mario007

Thats an impressive score.. usually sony dont very high on the chart. look like they have done some optimization.

Xperia T charted fairly high in the benchmark tests too. It was the highest charting phone before GS3 got Jellybean and iPhone 5 launched.

That last part sounds like a possible W8 if MS allows Sony to push its services through on the phones.

Sony have said this year that they're taking a 'wait and see' approach with WP8. They basically thing that it doesn't have nearly enough traction to dedicate resources over to it. They're right, btw.

catmincer

I was thinking about the naming convention and while the Nexus one doesn't sound bad, I still prefer the 2011 range naming scheme. Arc, Neo, Ray, Pro and Mini are very nice additions to the Xperia name and very nicely differentiate the phones. Something along similar lines would have been great. For example, I think Xperia Arc 2 would have been a much better name for the Xperia T or Xperia Light would have been a better name for Xperia S.

I am a massive fan of their code names.

Sony Nozomi
Sony Hayabusa

Those are way cooler than S or T.

Mario007

I am a massive fan of their code names.

Sony Nozomi
Sony Hayabusa

Those are way cooler than S or T.

Yeah, Xperia Mint also sounds pretty cool. I'm not sure why they went with the random letter scheme, especially since the letters didn't seem to convey the categories very well. For example, how is T better S when really S is always seen as the best letter (you go D,C,B,A and then S).

Cipherr

I doubt we'll see Playstation Mobile next to Xbox.

Well, not that. But Im sure they want all their little ecosystem, services and content pushed and available on the device, and probably baked into the OS on their phones. Itll be interesting to see how much rope MS gives them. Neither MS nor Sony can really stand to NOT come together and get some Sony W8 phones out IMO. They both need more devices sold pretty badly.

Fezan

Hopefully it will able to compete with S4 but rumors suggest that that S4 will easily beat it in benchmarks

noobie

Banned
Also a good news for those in UK. Yuga will be on sale in UK in February apparently, but the price will be higher than any Sony/Sony Ericsson(oops Sony branded Sony Ericsson/Sony Ericsson ) phone in history

This is according to sidneylopsides, a Sony Mobile ambassador from UK.

Source

It is listed as a quad-core Cortez-A15 endeavor, but neither Qualcomm, nor NVIDIA with Tegra 4 are in the mix. It is also claimed to feature 3 GB of RAM, 16 MP camera, and 3,000 mAh battery, all worthy ingredients.

LOL yeah we'll see about that. I stick my plan, best battery of the galaxy s4/sony odin/htc m7 wins me as a customer*

*pending my carrier availability

Akira

Because the source is NeoGAF/zomgbbqftw via some Italian forum, just like how Phone Arena used my renders and credited that forum. And it looks like February release is only for certain markets, like the UK. The Odin/Yuga twins should be out globally by April.

Anyway, since other sites are now reading my posts for rumours I'll have to stop posting them. D:

One last one for the road, the 4" screen for the P successor comes from JDI.

longdi

Banned
Anyway, since other sites are now reading my posts for rumours I'll have to stop posting them. D:

SE xperia phones have very bad viewing angles so far, will sony improve on this area? i dont know why they keep using bad screens (even for their vaio laptops) and then post-processed it with bravia mobile engine/super white junk?

i drool after reading anandtech review of iphone5 display, and verify on the ground it is truly beautiful, but i dont want itunes!
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6334/iphone-5-screen-performance

SE xperia phones have very bad viewing angles so far, will sony improve on this area? i dont know why they keep using bad screens (even for their vaio laptops) and then post-processed it with bravia mobile engine/super white junk?

i drool after reading anandtech review of iphone5 display, and verify on the ground it is truly beautiful, but i dont want itunes!
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6334/iphone-5-screen-performance

The Japan only GX is great and the P has Whitemagic tech which is great for outdoor viewing, the S is also pretty great as is Ion (all JDI/Sony), but the T, Sola and U are poor (all LG Display). I think it is partly due to volume, the T is set to be Sony's highest selling phone and they needed a lot of screens fast, capacity at JDI was all going to HTC who are paying a massive premium while Samsung are not supplying to Sony Mobile because of competition concerns.

Anyway, they are going to AUO and JDI for their screens from 2013, so it will be a big improvement over their current generation phones.

longdi

Banned
The Japan only GX is great and the P has Whitemagic tech which is great for outdoor viewing, the S is also pretty great as is Ion (all JDI/Sony), but the T, Sola and U are poor (all LG Display). I think it is partly due to volume, the T is set to be Sony's highest selling phone and they needed a lot of screens fast, capacity at JDI was all going to HTC who are paying a massive premium while Samsung are not supplying to Sony Mobile because of competition concerns.

Anyway, they are going to AUO and JDI for their screens from 2013, so it will be a big improvement over their current generation phones.

honestly even the 2012 xperias as above, their screens are very average. not even close to htc one x nor iphone5/ipad3/4 nor 920.

please sony, make sure your 2013 flagship phone is full of flagship wins and not wasted promises. the screen! damnit, it is vital! one can dream sony, once king of consumer screen, can remake this magic on their phones....finally.

Are you serious? Why?
This thread will be dead without you

It's not great to see what people tell me in relative confidence end up splashed onto PhoneArena or other places. It's nice to discuss it here with the rest of GAF, and people here have their sources too which makes the discussion interesting, but when it ends up on popular websites like PhoneArena it's probably better not to. :(

Anyway, I can still talk about public stuff, or my own opinion on where Sony's direction or what has motivated their decisions.

Mario007

How much do we think the T will sell this quarter? If I'm not mistaken we never got the sales of S, only that its sales were 'very strong' so it probably didn't cross the 1 million mark. I'd say T might have a chance of crossing that.

Also what about the designs for the 2013 line-up? Do you guys think they'll come back with the NXT design, continue the Arc designs, start using the the rectangle with 4 corners like the mock-ups for Odin suggest or go with something completely different?

nib95

Banned
Yuga and Odin both have glass backs. I think it is Dragontrail glass from Asahi which is tougher than Corning's Gorilla glass.

Not sure how I feel about all glass (high chance for breakage). But still, maybe just maybe Sony might pull me away from getting an S4. Lets see what the software and camera is like.

I hope they'll have a glove mode
How awesome is that? No more ugly/shitty ts-enabled gloves.
I'm still holding out/waiting for the next messiah phone since I couldn't buy a Nexus 4 in time and now don't feel like I want one anymore. If they improve their camera performance I guess I'll be on board.

Akira

zomgbbqftw: For a second I thought we had lost you in the "fat girls" thread. :x

On another note, I believe the Odin/Yuga will look a bit like a much bigger Xperia E which was just recently announced. On the render, I made the sides completely flat just like the iPhone 4, but I'm beginning to think it might have a bit of a protrusion like in the Xperia E, just not as pronounced. The Xperia E also has the oversized power button ala the Sony Ericsson K810i and the Odin/Yuga.

xperia-e.jpg

I was reading your post in esato and i am truly disappointed by this turn of events :'( , really hope you will change your mind.

Fezan

Xperia Z/ZX next flagship xperia

Final rumor for the day, Sony Q4 13 flagship will use Samsung Exynos 5 Quad chipset. MSM8974 was what Sony wanted but seeing how it won't be competitive they decided to go for a true Cortex A15 solution. Though before you all get alarmed, this will not be the same chip that SGS4 will use, but a more powerful one. It will be used in Galaxy NOTE 3.

Other specs as of now -

Samsung Exynos 5 Quad
3 GB RAM
5 inch OLED display FHD
128GB ROM
16 megapixel camera
3000mAh battery
Water/Dust resistant
IR blaster
And a HUGE surprise which I can tell you only after CES.

That's it, I don't have any more rumors to share. Now only waiting till CES

:) looks like now Sony really wants to compete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom