• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Roundup: Sony's 1080p 5-inch flagships for Q1 2013 - Yuga & Odin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario007

I'm really not sure what sort of a miracle Samsung would have to pull out to demolish Sony. Xperia S got destroyed because it had a smaller screen, slower processors, it wasn't nearly as smooth and the UI couldn't match TouchWiz mods. I really don't think that GS4 will be smoother than Yuga/Odin, since both will have great hardware and screen size will be identical. So, basically Samsung will be left with a probably better AMOLED screen and TouchWiz (and I bet Sony will make serious improvements to their reskin). Sony is basically in a much better position now than with Xperia S.
ALso Xperia S was never a flagship on the level of SIII or One X as demonstrated by its price, being a 100 euro cheaper than either phone. This is the first time Sony is putting out a direct competitor to the Galaxy S series or indeed the iPhone

Yjynx

hmm interesting. It pique my interest. I totally love my SE W810i - believe it or not still in perfect condition to this day. Both my samsung and HTC somehow not really durable after one year use. Let's see sony next move since Im pretty fed up with my current phone.

Remember that this was not a final production device, so it may be different for the final product.
I guess so. Even still, not terrible or anything, but the competition seems to be killing it on screens mostly. Gotta get that stuff right.

Still though. Where da Odin at. That's the one I want to see.

Honestly I wish all phones had those covers over the ports. If it means higher durability for these fragile $600+ pocket computers then I'm all for it. We desperately need improvements in durability and battery tech for smartphones...

Akira

This was posted on a Chinese forum:

0047347xbe3soeo322j7o7.jpg

Looks like a "how-it's-put-together" screenshot from a promotional video for Yuga. That Dragontrail glass looks hot. I'm liking it in this white surround color more than the all-black one. (Just like in my renders! :p)

About 2-3 more weeks until this is announced!

DiddyBop

Hopefully Sony will sell this unlocked on their website. It won't have the Nexus 4 pricing but I am sure there is a significant market for full priced, unlocked phones.

Mario007

Hopefully Sony will sell this unlocked on their website. It won't have the Nexus 4 pricing but I am sure there is a significant market for full priced, unlocked phones.
All their phones are sold unlocked at their website, subject to regional availability.

Akira

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/12/28/sony-c650x-odin-design-information

Whilst we have seen a plethora of leaked photos of the Sony C660X ‘Yuga’ (aka Xperia Z), there have been very few leaks of the Sony C650X ‘Odin’. Now we have word from a Vietnamese website, SE-Cafe that claims to have gone hands-on with the device, although they were not allowed to take pictures.

It gives the first hint of what design hues you should expect from Odin. Some of the information correlates with what we have heard from our own sources, so we have every reason to trust them. The device handled was a prototype version so there may be some changes before the handset is released.

Sony C650X Odin design features

– Odin is thicker and heavier than Yuga (Xperia Z).
– The back of the handset will have a textured (or even striped pattern) similar to the Sony Xperia E dual.
– A small cover on the back of the handset will allow you to hot swap the microSD memory card and SIM card.
– The front-facing camera will be placed at the bottom-right of the handset.

Hmm... Yuga is now Superior Yuga? Very odd placement for the front-facing camera if true.

If they manage to fit an extra big battery due to the added thickness of the Odin. I'll consider it superior. Those dimensions are pretty crazy for a a 5 inch phone. In an age where they all seem to be getting bigger. I welcome it. Striped back sounds odd. Should be interesting.

Akira

But Yuga is rumored to have a bigger battery up to 2800mah. Then again, Odin is thicker so that offsets it. The battery size will probably vary between regions anyway. I was hoping Odin would have the classy design of Yuga and I'm wary of the descriptions of the striped, textured back.

balddemon

Banned
I want this phone...coming out in February? Do you guys think it's worth waiting for? I've had my Blackberry Curve 8550 for the last 2 years 3 months and it's getting ready to die lol.

tino

Banned
Swap without taking the battery out or turning off the phone first.

This is a basic requirement for every phone a couple years ago. Now being able to swap sd card and sim card without taking out battery is some kind of feature. What the fuck.

Mario007

This is a basic requirement for every phone a couple years ago. Now being able to swap sd card and sim card without taking out battery is some kind of feature. What the fuck.
Well it was, then it wasn't for a while, and now it's coming back. That's probably the best way to describe it.

Also the xperia blog links to the xperia duel as an example of what they're talking about, is it just me or do I not notice any texturing or stripes in those pics.

Akira

Also this confirms Odin's front facing camera is at the bottom like the Nokia N9, probably in order to get the size down

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Is Sony still planning to release these phones under their generic "xperia + random letter" naming convention?

Akira

Is Sony still planning to release these phones under their generic "xperia + random letter" naming convention?

Looks like it. From the URL it looks like Yuga will be the Xperia Z as revealed before. But if we're going by the URL, the Odin will be the Xperia Odin, not Xperia X as rumored.

Why wouldn't they? I can't think of a stronger brand!

:|

Well if we're going by sales, Xperia is only third to the iPhone and Galaxy brand. :p

longdi

Banned
Interesting preview, some impressions about the screen are pretty disappointing though.

yeah i see xperias will still be plagued by bad viewing angles and colors....why is it only apple (and HTC somwhat) can get the screen right when it is the most used thing of your mobile phone...:(

Knight77

Looks Mike Odin has the camera button while Yuga doesn't...since Yuga will be the one for Europe I'm a bit disappointed but at least Yuga will be lighter and thinner.

noobie

Banned
I thought the Xperia brand would be thrown out the window once Sony bought out the Ericsson half.
Xperia is now quite a well known brand. I dont see a reason to throw it out.. If they launch WP8 based mobile i think they can launch it under a new name.. But android should continue to be launched under Xperia..

Akira

Looks Mike Odin has the camera button while Yuga doesn't...since Yuga will be the one for Europe I'm a bit disappointed but at least Yuga will be lighter and thinner.

Yuga will also have a shutter button.

Odin's size is perfect for me. Hopefully its "textured" back looks nice and premium, not cheap as it sounds. The small LED light bar is a nice touch too.

AAequal

Banned
Feature look impressive..
Look like Sony is really going for the kill..
The only thing they need to do now to be successful is create the HYPE..
Seeing how Sony managed to deliver lackluster hype for something awesome as Vita. I'm not holding my breath for Yuga nor Odin hype.

It's just so bland, rather see them find something new not tied to the xperia name at all (Sony Odin sounds fine to me :p )

Norse gods are for geeks and lame-os. Would they go with Greek or Roman gods for the next-gen?

Akira

Odin is the ZL? Could be quite confusing if they are offered in the same markets as the Xperia Z (Yuga). That Odin is beautiful though, I like the LED bar! But the front camera being at the bottom looks a bit weird.

Edit: And yeah, I actually don't see the Yuga's shutter button. Did Sony remove it from the prototype?

Mario007

Now you guys see why I will wait for Odin until March/April rather than jump in for Yuga in Feb. It is a bezel monster.
So what't the plan behind the 2 models? Launch Yuga fairly soon in selected markets and then launch Odin in March for the rest of the world?

If so that's a pity, because Odin looks much better than Yuga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom