• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Roundup: Sony's 1080p 5-inch flagships for Q1 2013 - Yuga & Odin

Status
Not open for further replies.

samven582

xperia-zl-black-android-smartphone-300x348.png
xperia-z-black-android-smartphone-300x348.png

Odin, ZL vs Yuga, Z.

Larger sized comparison.

lets hope Sony sells this phone unlocked the US

Marco1

Love the look of this and will be a great way to change from my ip5.
Love the experia range and so underrated.

Radec

^
Xperia*.

Sony needs to get this to different carriers though.

Oh and fast Android updates like what Samsung is getting atleast.

ep85

Sony needs to get this to different carriers though.

Seriously though. In the US they stay releasing on AT&T. I guess Verizon had a bad taste due to the Xperia Play. To get a foothold in America they need a phone on every carrier.

Mario007

The xperia brand needs a reboot.
Xperia is now stonger than ever as a brand thanks to Xperia T and the Bond promo.It's definitely the 3rd strongest brand in the smartphone world. Though that is not saying much.

I'm disappointed they're continuing with the letter scheme, but if they are they need to stick with it. So next year's flagship has to be Z2 and not Y or any other random letter. There needs to a follow up to the Xperia P and U etc.

tino

Banned
Seriously though. In the US they stay releasing on AT&T. I guess Verizon had a bad taste due to the Xperia Play. To get a foothold in America they need a phone on every carrier.

Its not going to happen. Plus Verizon already has its 1080p phone.

tino

Banned
Yeah, and it's a limited piece of dog shit.

This phone is nice, but only supporting one carrier in the States is moronic.

Thats how Verizon play its game. If your want your phone on Verizon's lineup, you have to give Verizon at least 6 months exclusity. And when Sprint or TMo finally allow get the outdated phone, they have to get the phone in different names too.

Unless of course if you are Apple or Samsung you don't have to deal with Verizon's bullshit.

Sid

Xperia is now stonger than ever as a brand thanks to Xperia T and the Bond promo.It's definitely the 3rd strongest brand in the smartphone world. Though that is not saying much.

I'm disappointed they're continuing with the letter scheme, but if they are they need to stick with it. So next year's flagship has to be Z2 and not Y or any other random letter. There needs to a follow up to the Xperia P and U etc.
The brand is undoubtedly popular but i was mainly referring to this weird naming scheme.

The Odin looks incredible. Just from that shot alone, it looks better than most other phones out there. Sony makes some beautiful phones and the Odin looks awesome. I can't stand the design of the SIII and the iPhone, so this is a nice design. Very crisp and elegant.

Bad move keeping the naming scheme the same though. Just call the phone the Xperia Odin or the Sony Odin. Keeping the letters is stupid and Sony needs to get carriers on board. The phone won't be as successful as it could be on one carrier that everyone hates.

Can't wait to here more on the phone. I'm looking to upgrade soon and this might be the phone.

Thats how Verizon play its game. If your want your phone on Verizon's lineup, you have to give Verizon at least 6 months exclusity. And when Sprint or TMo finally allow get the outdated phone, they have to get the phone in different names too.

Unless of course if you are Apple or Samsung you don't have to deal with Verizon's bullshit.

Verizon fucking sucks. Wish I had a different carrier.

I just hope Sony can manage to release on all carriers. I can't take companies who claim they want to compete seriously yet can't get that one thing done.

Mario007

The brand is undoubtedly popular but i was mainly referring to this weird naming scheme.
Yeah, I can agree with that.
it can be done though. I'm not making excuses for anyone. It's hard but it can be done. Do it.
It can't really, unless you have an iconic brand name. The only phone to do so after the iPhone was the SIII and that was only cause SII became such a runaway success.

Yeah, I can agree with that.
It can't really, unless you have an iconic brand name. The only phone to do so after the iPhone was the SIII and that was only cause SII became such a runaway success.
xperia is a big ass brand.

RIM is fucking garbage and I GUARANTEE YOU their new phone will be on all major carriers. Get.It.Done. Don't take no for an answer. Knock some doors down. Do what you gotta do, whoever is in charge of that end of the business.

NomarTyme

I would love this phone, but I don't think this gonna be on Sprint. The next obvious choice is the Samsung Note line when my contract is up.

Mario007

xperia is a big ass brand.

RIM is fucking garbage and I GUARANTEE YOU their new phone will be on all major carriers. Get.It.Done. Don't take no for an answer. Knock some doors down. Do what you gotta do, whoever is in charge of that end of the business.
Xperia is huge in the world but not in the US. It's not really doing much in the US yet. As I've said it took Samsung the awesome sales of SII till it managed to get SIII on every US carrier without name or design changes at all. And even then the launch was like a month later than the rest of the world.

I think for the US the most likely carrier is Verizon, at least for Yuga. Not sure Odin will be available via any carriers, just unlocked via Sony's stores and other retailers. The word is that Sony want control over the updates which is why AT&T said no, now they are shopping it to Verizon as an exclusive phone which they will back with megabucks marketing. The kicker is still full control over the updating process and none or little carrier branding.

It's a hot device right now, in Europe carriers are falling over themselves to carry it, with lots interested in short time exclusivity periods at the launch. Again Sony are said to be promising megabucks marketing for February and March.

I think there is a good chance Sony get it onto Verizon with minimal branding and control of updates because the device is so hot and Verizon are looking for a new replacement for the DNA which has flopped until they get their variant of the GS4.

Mario007

I think for the US the most likely carrier is Verizon, at least for Yuga. Not sure Odin will be available via any carriers, just unlocked via Sony's stores and other retailers. The word is that Sony want control over the updates which is why AT&T said no, now they are shopping it to Verizon as an exclusive phone which they will back with megabucks marketing. The kicker is still full control over the updating process and none or little carrier branding.

It's a hot device right now, in Europe carriers are falling over themselves to carry it, with lots interested in short time exclusivity periods at the launch. Again Sony are said to be promising megabucks marketing for February and March.

I think there is a good chance Sony get it onto Verizon with minimal branding and control of updates because the device is so hot and Verizon are looking for a new replacement for the DNA which has flopped until they get their variant of the GS4.
May I ask what exactly is the thing that makes XZ stand apart from the competition for the carriers to be falling over each other for it? I could get why XZL would be so popular (the minimum bezel) but what about XZ?

Any info on HuaShan (C5303)? 4" 720p and 1.7GHz sounds really nice, but the rumored 5MPx sensor sucks.

May I ask what exactly is the thing that makes XZ stand apart from the competition for the carriers to be falling over each other for it? I could get why XZL would be so popular (the minimum bezel) but what about XZ?

Time to release (4-6 weeks), specs, pricing, marketing money from Sony, waterproofing, design and the build quality is very high, probably the only Android phone on a par with iPhone in terms of build quality.

Don't forget that Odin is not going to make it to market until mid March at the earliest, and that's going to be for select Asian and European markets. Sony are piling everything into Yuga rather than Odin because it is easier and cheaper to manufacture given the easier size constraints. That means they can make more on demand at a lower price. So if demand were to be higher than expected they would not have trouble sourcing parts and getting them made at a decent cost. With Odin this is not the case as it requires higher precision manufacturing because of the extreme size constraints and they would not be able to do short term orders to meet higher than expected demand.

To be clear, it's not a HUGE deal for me personally since I happen to be on the carrier in Canada that got the Xperia T, and is basically Canada's verizon (Bell), I'm speaking for the people :p

It's going to be pretty great to see HTC's new flagship, the Galaxy S4, and the Sony flagships duke it out. Obviously S4 will win considering their marketing power, but yeah. Should be interesting. I predict the Sony phones launch first, HTC second, and Galaxy S4 third, probably in april.

Also zomgbbqwtf I wonder if Canada is included in those select asian/euro markets. We sometimes are. Odin or bust here!

Any info on HuaShan (C5303)? 4" 720p and 1.7GHz sounds really nice, but the rumored 5MPx sensor sucks.

I would be surprised if it was 5MP, it is supposed to be Sony's iPhone competitor so it should have 8MP minimum.

Other than that I don't know. I guess we will find out on Monday or failing that February.

Mario007

Time to release (4-6 weeks), specs, pricing, marketing money from Sony, waterproofing, design and the build quality is very high, probably the only Android phone on a par with iPhone in terms of build quality.

Don't forget that Odin is not going to make it to market until mid March at the earliest, and that's going to be for select Asian and European markets. Sony are piling everything into Yuga rather than Odin because it is easier and cheaper to manufacture given the easier size constraints. That means they can make more on demand at a lower price. So if demand were to be higher than expected they would not have trouble sourcing parts and getting them made at a decent cost. With Odin this is not the case as it requires higher precision manufacturing because of the extreme size constraints and they would not be able to do short term orders to meet higher than expected demand.
Cool thanks. I guess what you are saying it's true that it'd be easier to make. Still, it would have been nice if, in an ideal world, Odin was the device that was being marketed as the flagship as those dimensions on a 5inch phone available worldwide would be pretty damn awesome.

Also did you hear about the naming scheme? It seems we're stuck with the letters but are they going to be bringing out completely new letters again or are we going to see some sort of a succession from last year's models?

Also zomgbbqwtf I wonder if Canada is included in those select asian/euro markets. We sometimes are. Odin or bust here!

Could be, the T made it to Canada pretty quickly. The US is just a tough market for Sony to crack right now because they missed the boat back in 2010/11.

Cool thanks. I guess what you are saying it's true that it'd be easier to make. Still, it would have been nice if, in an ideal world, Odin was the device that was being marketed as the flagship as those dimensions on a 5inch phone available worldwide would be pretty damn awesome.

Also did you hear about the naming scheme? It seems we're stuck with the letters but are they going to be bringing out completely new letters again or are we going to see some sort of a succession from last year's models?

Yeah, but for now Sony need to get the phone onto the market without having any kind of shipment shortages if the market reacts well. The worst thing that could happen is that they build Odin up as the flagship and then have trouble supplying enough units to meet demand and then Samsung come in with a huge marketing push for GS4. Sony needs to get as many Xperia phones into consumer's hands as fast as they can. Odin is for people like us, people who read blogs and tech websites and can wait 6 weeks longer.

Yeah, but for now Sony need to get the phone onto the market without having any kind of shipment shortages if the market reacts well. The worst thing that could happen is that they build Odin up as the flagship and then have trouble supplying enough units to meet demand and then Samsung come in with a huge marketing push for GS4. Sony needs to get as many Xperia phones into consumer's hands as fast as they can. Odin is for people like us, people who read blogs and tech websites and can wait 6 weeks longer.
So Odin could be released in more markets but just a bunch after the Yuga does. SoYou'reSayingThere'sAChance.gif

But yeah, Sony is going to have to hustle because once Samsung gets their hands back in with the S4 it's pretty much over for everyone else in Android. HTC will probably also make it out in the next 2 months. That rumoured M7 or whatever it's called. Which is also rumoured to be on all major carriers, which would be a first for HTC.

Mario007

Yeah I get ya. I wonder if this will be the approach going forward, having the flagship in 2 variants. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Can't wait to see Kaz unveilling Xperia Z at CES though. Should be good and hopefully they'll find their unique hook for it that they can market the phone on.

Akira

ibe8RwhQERVuSJ.png

Made this more accurate comparison since just putting the two images side by side doesn't work (Odin is too big). I matched their screens together to get the accurate size of Odin. Seeing them like this, I'm almost on Odin's side now. That lack-of-bezelness is just too sexy, the phone is pretty much all screen but I'll wait until we see hands-on videos and detailed shots of Yuga/Odin to make a final decision.

A 5 inch 1080p screen on a phone smaller than almost every high end android phone out today. The odin auto-wins. I'd take that over water/dust proof.

Akira

ibytIgZMcdVbml.jpg

An update on the size comparison I did on page 1. Those leaked dimensions were right after all and the Odin really is smaller than the Galaxy SIII, while Yuga is bigger than SIII but smaller than the Droid DNA. Now let's wait to see the whole package.

dalin80

Banned
OK, I give in Odin will be mine and I don't care what they call it it will always be Odin to me.

Here's to hoping that my tired Orange San Fran can hold on long enough.

alternade

ibytIgZMcdVbml.jpg

An update on the size comparison I did on page 1. Those leaked dimensions were right after all and the Odin really is smaller than the Galaxy SIII, while Yuga is bigger than SIII but smaller than the Droid DNA. Now let's wait to see the whole package.

Why is there so much bezel on the Yuga is there are on screen buttons?

I consider the Galaxy S3 a little on the big end, so the Yuga being bigger than that is a little meh. DNA is way too big for me. Odin where art though.

Still no confirmed word on battery right? We seem to know literally everything but that.

Hmmm, might just cancel my Nexus 4 "preorder" and just wait for this...What does GAF think?
I did that already a while ago, lol. Not for this specifically, but for one of the other flagships. And I was a nexus whore, as anyone in the android OT could attest to.

Wads

Banned
I wanted the nexus, but I guess at this point ill just wait for Odin. Looks awesome. Will change carriers if need be.

leroidys

So is the speculation that Odin would be for NA in the OP and Yuga elsewhere not the current line of thinking?

I really want this phone, but even Odin is huge. Might get an iphone after all...

Mario007

So is the speculation that Odin would be for NA in the OP and Yuga elsewhere not the current line of thinking?

I really want this phone, but even Odin is huge. Might get an iphone after all...
Appparently Yuga is the flagship, Odin will come in March/April for selected markets
S3 is fuggly. So how much will this phone retail for? Xperia Play was damn expensive so I stayed away from that.
In China there are reports of Yuga being the same price as the Xperia which, if true, is good 50-100 euro less than what Galaxy S3 or One X started retailing for last year, so around the 500-500 euro area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom