• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Roundup: Sony's 1080p 5-inch flagships for Q1 2013 - Yuga & Odin

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobie

Banned
Yuga and Odin both have glass backs. I think it is Dragontrail glass from Asahi which is tougher than Corning's Gorilla glass.

Have you got any shipment/release dates for these devices

Look like HTC butterfly J is doing pretty good and might be able to take some thunder off from Yuga and Odin.

Have you got any shipment/release dates for these devices

Look like HTC butterfly J is doing pretty good and might be able to take some thunder off from Yuga and Odin.

The Sony ambassador guy said February. Developers at key partners (FXP, CM) will receive them after they have been announced. Google are said to have them in hand already.

Don't believe that.

There's no huge surprise.

tumblr_m2c0dq6LZM1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2c0dq6LZM1rqfhi2o1_500.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="Fezan, post: 45382098"]He is been spot on with yuga/odin rumor[/QUOTE]

Not hating and I know his track record, but those rumors are not true.

[QUOTE]IMPORTANT

Now that PhoneArena has taken the bait, I'd like to reveal the truth and apologize.

Most of my posts since yesterday were bait to trap PhoneArena.

There is NO C430X, no Xperia Walkman, Sony is not using Samsung Exynos 5, nor is there any huge surprise. These were all fake rumors that we wanted PhoneArena to pick up. And as expected, they did. LOL

Most members here knew about the plan, so I would like to apologize to the newbies and the non members for the small little game yesterday.

To the Tipsters and Phonearena, I think you guys need to learn the meaning of the word Rumor. If you still want to continue posting rumors as articles, it's upto you. But personally I wouldn't want to take risk again if I were to be a PhoneArena writer.

Oh and yes PhoneArena, the rumor you posted about Samsung Galaxy S4 is also fake S4 isn't gonna have unbreakable glass. Hahahahahahahaha

To the members/non members, sorry again but had to do this to try and put an end to PA lifting rumors from here.

And yes, the game is now over. No more fake rumors lol.

@Topic

Let's go to Phonearena and post FAKE FAKE FAKE [/QUOTE]

Can't say I didn't warn you :P

Akira

Looks like that is the NTT Docomo model. Japanese handsets typically have slightly different specs from global models (for better or worse). Still hoping for 2400mAh+ for these phones.

Edit: Just noticed the FCC image of the Yuga. Is that a xenon flash right next to the lens? :O

Yes, that's the SO-02 for NTT, it is the Japanese version and will come with Japanese specific stuff like FeliCa and 1-Seg. Since the physical size is the same this time, removing these features for the west leaves room for a larger battery, so the 2330mAh is a good sign that we will get a battery over 2400mAh in Yuga. I have heard that 2800mAh is what was being tested earlier in November, but it will go to manufacturing later this month for release in Feb which means that it could change, but this is a good sign that they haven't changed it.

Looks like that is the NTT Docomo model. Japanese handsets typically have slightly different specs from global models (for better or worse). Still hoping for 2400mAh+ for these phones.

Edit: Just noticed the FCC image of the Yuga. Is that a xenon flash right next to the lens? :O

Probably a dual LED. Xenon is considered too much of a battery waste. D:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this will be my next phone. Love the monolithic design and glass chassis of the iphone 4 and this sounds like a bigger, badder version of it.

I still don't get it. Is the Yuga the one that Sony is releasing in NA (ideally) on all carriers? Or is that going to be the Odin?

Hope they manage to fit a big battery in the Odin as well. 2400-2800 would be great. If it really does have a thicker body than the Yuga then it's certainly possible to fit a nice big one.

tino

Banned
I still don't get it. Is the Yuga the one that Sony is releasing in NA (ideally) on all carriers? Or is that going to be the Odin?

Hope they manage to fit a big battery in the Odin as well. 2400-2800 would be great. If it really does have a thicker body than the Yuga then it's certainly possible to fit a nice big one.

Heh Sony phones don't come to the U.S.

Akira

The best guess right now is that Odin will be the one for North America. Some people were saying that the Odin was being considered by ATT, but dropped it for unknown reasons. More recently, I believe zomgbbqftw said that T-Mobile is considering Odin. I'm guessing the battery will be between 2200-2500.

And those new pics are even worse than the leaked photos, lol.

It may be a generic design but I maintain that the Sony smartphones when you hold in the hand, feel like much better quality than other ones. They always look better in person. But it really just is a slab design.

So Eldar got his hands on an earlyish prototype device and has been raving about it on Twitter. If he can't say a bad word about it then Sony must have a hit product on their hands, seriously he hates Sony since they made their intentions to dump Ericsson clear.

On the 1.7GHz device, MSM8960T.

I know people have high standards for Xperia designs but coming from a GS2 it looks great, I'm not sure wether these phones won't be too big for me.

Akira

LTE. At the moment, LTE is used for data transfer. In S660x used modem Qualcomm MDM9615, which theoretically allows the phone to work on all the available LTE-frequency, on any network. In the real world, no one device is not set to all frequencies, because this setting will be too expensive, so the version of LTE-phones are different for different networks and countries, and that various modifications of the machine. For C660x is important to note that this is not the case and this is the first truly global LTE-phone, it will work around the world. For many people, this trip will be a pleasant feature of the device.

What?

05.jpg

06.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

antutu.jpg

quadrant-professional.jpg

022.jpg

034.jpg

039.jpg

Some notes:

- he loves the HDR video option
- micro SD up to 128GB confirmed
- port covers all over the side of the chassis (a disadvantage of the phone being water-proof, superior Odin confirmed)
- the phone's performance is great, the 1080p screen is awesome, but there is a problem of overheating (although this could be due to the prototype phone)
- software is 4.1.2 but Sony has added features from 4.2
- Camera is 12MP and has a Superior Auto feature which allows you to capture photos while taking a video

noobie

Banned
What?
Some notes:

- he loves the HDR video option
- micro SD up to 128GB confirmed
- port covers all over the side of the chassis (a disadvantage of the phone being water-proof, superior Odin confirmed)
- the phone's performance is great, the 1080p screen is awesome, but there is a problem of overheating (although this could be due to the prototype phone)
- software is 4.1.2 but Sony has added features from 4.2
- Camera is 12MP and has a Superior Auto feature which allows you to capture photos while taking a video

Feature look impressive..
Look like Sony is really going for the kill..
The only thing they need to do now to be successful is create the HYPE..

JonnyBrad

I hate those bloody pull out rubber things sony use to cover ports. The one i had on my k800i 5 years ago broke off more than once.

Zaptruder

Banned
Feature look impressive..
Look like Sony is really going for the kill..
The only thing they need to do now to be successful is create the HYPE..

As long as this thing has the right specs and great battery life, then the enthusiast press are happy to hype the shit out of this thing.

I mean, it's always a good story to have an underdog rise up.

Mario007

Judging by that picture the Timescape UI has undergone another quite radical change. I wonder if they stick to it for more than a year this time.

Also considering we have two threads about Sony Mobile going into the future that are quite active and one specifically dedicated to Yuga and Odin, I'd say the hype is building pretty nicely.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
The phone does look quite impressive. When is this phone expected to be released next year?

It will come down to how good its battery performance is, if it is reasonable compared to other phones released next year then I think this phone has a good chance to sell well.

This Yuga phone should easily demolish the HTC Butterfly (Droid DNA) but it's going to run straight into a freight train called the Samsung Galaxy S IV if it doesn't get released last month now. Sony's closer to being on-time with new devices than they were during the Sony Ericsson days but they are still lagging behind Samsung too much.

Mario007

This Yuga phone should easily demolish the HTC Butterfly (Droid DNA) but it's going to run straight into a freight train called the Samsung Galaxy S IV if it doesn't get released last month now. Sony's closer to being on-time with new devices than they were during the Sony Ericsson days but they are still lagging behind Samsung too much.
I think it's rumoured to launch in February.

Akira

I hate those bloody pull out rubber things sony use to cover ports. The one i had on my k800i 5 years ago broke off more than once.

Haha, yup. I would be annoyed to have to take off the cover just to plug in my earphones every time. That is the price to pay for being water and dust proof, I guess, which is why I'm glad the US is getting the superior Odin.

Does anyone know what the internal memory is? Can't pin google music to the sd card.

32GB is the only number I've seen thrown around, not sure if it will come in 16GB and 64GB varieties.

What exactly will the Galaxy SIV have that will demolish these phones? You can argue it's the brand name they have built up since the SIII became a huge success and I would probably agree. But other than the quad core A15 Exynos it's rumored to have, I don't see what it would have over the Yuga/Odin. The quad core Exynos is a battery hog from what we've seen anyway and coupled with a 1080p screen, I wouldn't be surprised if the SIV is much bigger than the SIII just to fit in a bigger battery.

The phone does look quite impressive. When is this phone expected to be released next year?

It will come down to how good its battery performance is, if it is reasonable compared to other phones released next year then I think this phone has a good chance to sell well.

I'm really not sure what sort of a miracle Samsung would have to pull out to demolish Sony. Xperia S got destroyed because it had a smaller screen, slower processors, it wasn't nearly as smooth and the UI couldn't match TouchWiz mods. I really don't think that GS4 will be smoother than Yuga/Odin, since both will have great hardware and screen size will be identical. So, basically Samsung will be left with a probably better AMOLED screen and TouchWiz (and I bet Sony will make serious improvements to their reskin). Sony is basically in a much better position now than with Xperia S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom