• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Last of Us Part II may get a new version made especially for the PlayStation 5

Draugoth

Gold Member
Ity seems that Sony and developer Naughty Dog may be planning something about the game, which would be to release a new version made especially for the PlayStation 5, which would obviously have improvements.

It all started after players noticed that Sony removed from its main YouTube channel a video about a patch with improvements in game performance in the PlayStation 5 version.

Around May-July 2022, it appears that the original The Last of Us: Part II trailer video with the PS5 performance patch was silently removed. Naughty Dog is possibly planning a re-release."

wvnative

Hopefully it's just an update to visuals. If there's like new content or whatever...we've well and truly lost everything.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Please patch out all the walking sections with Abby. Especially the fucking Aquarium sections. There are THREE flashbacks set in the Acquarium that completely kill the pacing.

I mostly stick with encounter select because the combat is sublime but the loading times are almost a minute long. Uncharted 4's encounter select literally loads in a second. Would be amazing to get it. Will gladly pay $10 to fund Jimbo's cocaine addiction.

Hey, if they can release the same content again for full retail they'll do it.

The fact is TLOU 2 should have had a fully remastered ps5 port just like the original got on PS4...yet it never happened.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Maybe I'll actually get through it this time.
Got the Deluxe Edition but yeah the game never grabbed like the original and I have it in Seattle
Watch this be a stand alone release with no upgrade.
Built from the ground up for PS5 😂

Last edited:
Please patch out all the walking sections with Abby. Especially the fucking Aquarium sections. There are THREE flashbacks set in the Acquarium that completely kill the pacing.

I mostly stick with encounter select because the combat is sublime but the loading times are almost a minute long. Uncharted 4's encounter select literally loads in a second. Would be amazing to get it. Will gladly pay $10 to fund Jimbo's cocaine addiction.
How about just patch the entire Abby section out of the game and release it for half the price.

SlimySnake

How about just patch the entire Abby section out of the game and release it for half the price.
lol Abby's combat is great. I hate her guts, but she's fucking terminator. Love her momentum abilities.

Neil also gave her the best setpieces and boss fights so I have no choice but to play as her. Maybe a new skin so I can play her sections as Joel.

Topher

Gold Member
This is probably the only game that could have a Director's Cut that I would actually buy. Would be cool if they added a section playing as Tommy.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
oh my sweet summer child. Sony has charged $10 for PS5 versions of these games.

Besides the game already got a 60 fps performance patch. It was free. This will be a separate SKU and Sony has charged $10 upgrade fees for all of these SKUs.
If the update was significant enough and part of a Director’s Cut edition I may consider it.

Topher

Gold Member
So they took the performance patch down in May? No, they took the trailer down.....in May. This seems to be a massive reach

I'll take a patch that allows me to save Joel and play as him for the entire game!

Alternate reality patches should be a thing!

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Makes sense since we’re going to need a follow up to the recent Last of Us remake on console and soon PC.

Plus they’ve got the show to capitalize on.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It’s shocking how they’ve done directors cuts for lesser games like death stranding and ghost’s of Tsushima, yet still waiting on this

SlimySnake

If the update was significant enough and part of a Director’s Cut edition I may consider it.
It will be like the Uncharted 4 remaster. 120 fps 1080p version. 60 fps native 1440p version. and 30 fps native 4k version. Uncapped with VRR. Plus, fast loading times.

I really dont expect them to touch any visual features. If they didnt bother adding the pre-downgraded graphics, animations and character models from TLOU2's E3 2018 trailer into a PS5 only $70 remake like TLOU part 1, they sure as hell arent going to do it for a $10 patch.

the_last_of_us_part_2-5.jpg

EbL5OlnXkAEFNzu

DR3AM

I'm actually surprised Sony allowed them to patch the game to run at 60fps o PS5 because of a potential native PS5 remake.

Topher

Gold Member
I’m glad this is just a rumour alongside the Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster. Whilst they remain rumours I have hope that Sony haven’t completely lost the plot.

I get what you are saying, but I think it has long been a foregone conclusion that TLOU Part 2 would get a special edition/Director's Cut for PS5.

I'm actually surprised Sony allowed them to patch the game to run at 60fps o PS5 because of a potential native PS5 remake.

It wouldn't be a "remake" in any case.

mortal

Gold Member
Is a trailer being delisted from a Youtube page truly indicative of a re-release though?

Since TLOU is now fitted for a PS5 experience, I suppose it makes sense for TLOU2 to be consistent in that regard.
I don't think players would care enough after already having the PS5 patch. Seems rather frivolous imo, but whatever.

nial

Gold Member
It was expected. When you think about it, it would be pretty weird to have TLOU 1 and 3 natively on PS5, but not 2.

Synless

Waste of resources imo. Game is already out and with the 60fps patch and load time improvements it’s good enough.

Sony needs to kick naughty dog in the head and get them going. They released Uncharted 1-3 and The Last of Us with multiplayer in the PS3 gen. Two new IP’s then and PS4 nothing new, less output, and now 2 years into this gen they re-re-released TLOU1… impressive.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
Waste of resources imo. Game is already out and with the 60fps patch and load time improvements it’s good enough.

Sony needs to kick naughty dog in the head and get them going. They released Uncharted 1-3 and The Last of Us with multiplayer in the PS3 gen. Two new IP’s And PS4 nothing new, less output, and now 2 years into this gen they re-re-released TLOU1… impressive.
F2P Factions in 2023!

Top Bottom