• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumors circulate after Vladimir Putin goes a full week without a public appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abounder

Banned
Could be flu-like symptoms and something more serious

Or Putin is eyeing who will exploit the situation

But it's probably a page out of North Korea's PR - stronk dear leader

Why not?

He is a human like we are. People can get sick.
I'd expect if it was just the flu, the combined medical, makeup and visual effects expertise available to the Kremlin could have gotten him on his feet long enough to record a simple statement that he was fine. Instead they're letting the Russian media go crazy with speculation about his health, and for an administration built up around Putin being invincible, that's not good at all.

On a unrelated note: has anybody seen Mrs. Merkel in the past weeks?

The_Love_Boat_Intro_Pacific_Princess_1977_01.jpg

I'd expect if it was just the flu, the combined medical, makeup and visual effects expertise available to the Kremlin could have gotten him on his feet long enough to record a simple statement that he was fine. Instead they're letting the Russian media go crazy with speculation about his health, and for an administration built up around Putin being invincible, that's not good at all.

Seriously, fucking Jordan can play in an NBA game with flu symptoms, why the hell couldn't Putin get pumped with IV and get some nice makeup and do a simple public appearance?

Seriously, fucking Jordan can play in an NBA game with flu symptoms, why the hell couldn't Putin get pumped with IV and get some nice makeup and do a simple public appearance?

Yeah you're right and nine days is too long to be absent for a simple flu anyway. If he doesn't appear by wednesday when they will be celebrating the invasion of Crimea, something is definitely wrong.

Julia Ioffe: This is why it’s impossible for the Kremlin to lie about Putin’s weird disappearance

After 15 years in power, Putin has so personalized the system that it becomes increasingly difficult for his subjects to envision a Russia without him. Nearly half of those Russians surveyed in a recent poll said they wanted to see Putin serve a fourth presidential term, starting in 2018. This number had more than doubled from a poll a few months earlier. And it’s not just about vision. Putin’s system of “manual control”—that is, micromanaging the country—has come at the great expense of Russia’s institutions. The only institutions Putin has strengthened are the security services.

Which tells you why Russian liberals are so worried and, strangely, implicitly hoping for Putin’s reappearance. Two weeks ago, one of their main leaders was assassinated. The other one, Alexey Navalny, has basically admitted that the opposition has been neutered and marginalized. And if Putin’s gone, they certainly won’t be the ones to take power. It will be the real strongmen.

chadskin

Today:
Vladimir Putin sent his congratulations to President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro on the 70th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Russia and Venezuela.

The President said, in particular, in his message:

“Over these last decades, Russia and Venezuela have accumulated a wealth of experience in mutually advantageous and fruitful cooperation. Our relations grew particularly strong during the presidency of Comandante Hugo Chavez, who was an outstanding statesman, a Venezuelan patriot, and a true friend of Russia.

I am happy to see from our results today that we are continuing to develop actively our bilateral ties in all areas. I am sure that continued strengthening of our comprehensive strategic partnership and constructive cooperation in international affairs serves the fundamental interests of both peoples and will help to guarantee regional stability and security.”
http://eng.kremlin.ru/news/23711

Not even a picture of him sitting at the typewriter tho. FISHY.

chadskin

Reminds me of when Gorbachev was toppled:

world_09_2_temp-1313648193-4e4cae41-620x348.jpg

Are these recent pictures, though? And where's this Crimean celebration thing coming from? People celebrated joining Russia in Crimea today but I can't find any reference to an event in Moscow.

https://inmoscowsshadows.wordpress.com/2015/03/14/no-coups-today/

What about a coup, especially a military one? Again, I’m unconvinced. Some day, I suspect Putin will fall to a political coup; that seems to me much more likely than a willing retirement (assuming his health lasts), let alone stepping aside after losing an election (hah!). However, this seems far too soon to me. It will have to be something like the move that ousted Khrushchev, a reflection of near-enough elite consensus, and we’re not anywhere near that now. Things will have to get worse, for longer, for that to become a possibility. And as regards a military coup, that is one thing Russia is actually quite inoculated against. The military does not have a tradition of political involvement (remember, most held back from active support of the 1991 August Coup and Yeltsin’s 1993 coup against the Supreme Soviet alike), Shoigu is hardly the kind of bloody-handed adventurer we’d see as a likely prospect, and there is a powerful control network. The FSB and FSO (Federal Guard Service) both monitor the loyalties of the military and the balance of forces in Moscow itself (two army divisions, the FSO’s Kremlin Guard, the Interior Troops’ ODON ‘Dzerzhinsky Division’, plus the police and FSB) is to a large extent an exercise in ensuring no one agency could mount a swift seizure of power itself.

Joni

Curious as to what disqualifies Putin as a 'real strongman'.

You'd think ruthlessly consolidating power by brazenly murdering your opposition, invading other countries and drumming up poisonous nationalism would be enough. Unless she means literal strongman, in which case a botox dwarf who happens to be a dictator would definitely not qualify.
He still is beholden to the Russian Church, the Oligarchs and the Military. He is at points making moves to please them. The locking up of Pussy Riot, the comments against gays both scream Putin trying to please the Church for instance.

He still is beholden to the Russian Church, the Oligarchs and the Military. He is at points making moves to please them. The locking up of Pussy Riot, the comments against gays both scream Putin trying to please the Church for instance.

You think Putin did those things under the order of an orthodox patriarch? Putin aligns himself with the church because their ideals support the backward, reactionary rhetoric about nationalism and morality which he manipulates to keep a grip on power.

Guy.brush

Something is being constructed inside the Kremlin. Platforms and seating areas. Probably something to do with upcoming celebrations for the anniversary of the Crimea annexation.
I don't think it's anything suspicious, probably something that was planned long ago.

CAAgi4TVIAI8WCl.jpg

This most probably is for the "end of world war II" anniversary celebration and military parade that is coming up soon.
It is a round 70 years now. btw Merkel will also be there, but said she wouldn't want to join the "Russia is great" military parade. Putin probably is currently preparing to look as mighty and strong as he can be for that parade.

Joni

You think Putin did those things under the order of an orthodox patriarch? Putin aligns himself with the church because their ideals support the backward, reactionary rhetoric about nationalism and morality which he manipulates to keep a grip on power.
I think he knows he has to keep all powerful forces on his side. It makes a lot more sense than handling Pussy Riot for what they said about him, which was little more than a footnote in their entire protest despite it being focused on so much in the Western press.

This most probably is for the "end of world war II" anniversary celebration and military parade that is coming up soon.
It is a round 70 years now. btw Merkel will also be there, but said she wouldn't want to join the "Russia is great" military parade. Putin probably is currently preparing to look as mighty and strong as he can be for that parade.

It's in about a month. I don't think they would start this early

Are they seriously teasing Putin making a public appearance? That sounds like the tweets Game Informer send before they reveal their magazine covers.

"48 hours! You guys ready???"

it is no tease, it says "GDP -- all, calm down, wait 48 hours."

it is a reaction to the madness on social media right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom