• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumors circulate after Vladimir Putin goes a full week without a public appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Considering how hard he tries to push his "masculine" image, it would be the ultimate irony.
I feel like the ultimate irony would be if he were gay, after the Olympics debacle.

Maybe that's the explanation -- Putin is out of town because his pregnant BOYFRIEND gave birth. Thus the Kremlin were technically telling the truth about the lady not being pregnant or whatever.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I feel like this is a stupid question but...

how long do other world leaders go without being seen? Surely they aren't always seen publicly every day right?

Chariot

how long do other world leaders go without being seen? Surely they aren't always seen publicly every day right?
Well, I guess they always have to go around to visit shit, visit other countries, stupid events, open something. Especially big players like Putin. I am even his vacations are pretty much advertised.

chadskin

https://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/photogallery/march-2015-photo-day
http://www.bundeskanzlerin.de/Webs/.../mediathek_einstieg_fotos_node.html?cat=fotos

Lots of very recent pictures of them "in the wild". Videos too. Putin's absence is definitely very unusual, that much is clear. I think the question now rather is why he's absent.

spekkeh

Banned

I think it could happen if they schedule a vacation, usually their spokesmen don't go to great lengths to lie about it though.

antonz

Igor Strelkov who people might recall is/was an FSB Colonel and is the main man behind the Ukrainian Crisis is now saying Putin's future fate is that of Nicholas II or Milosevic. Openly calls him a traitor to Russia etc.

The fact Strelkov is saying this stuff in Russia is very interesting considering how populor Strelkov has become. I cannot Imagine Putin would let such things be said normally especially so openly

http://www.znak.com/svrdl/news/2015-03-14/1036787.html

It also opens up scary potential. It would be better in any case if Putin was to be overthrown that it would come from the Oligarch side. That would offer the best chance for peace and maybe a chance for a better future. If Putin is taken out by the Militarized side that is a very scary situation.

potam

Banned
Igor Strelkov who people might recall is/was an FSB Colonel and is the main man behind the Ukrainian Crisis is now saying Putin's future fate is that of Nicholas II or Milosevic. Openly calls him a traitor to Russia etc.

The fact Strelkov is saying this stuff in Russia is very interesting considering how populor Strelkov has become. I cannot Imagine Putin would let such things be said normally especially so openly

knowing next to nothing about Russian history, I'm assuming those two led full, long lives ruling until their natural deaths?

antonz

knowing next to nothing about Russian history, I'm assuming those two led full, long lives ruling until their natural deaths?

Nicholas II and his entire family was brutally murdered to end the Russian Monarchy and bring Communism to Russia.

Milosevic died in prison

I'm betting it was an aneurism on the toilet, and they're rushing around trying to find a body double. Either that, or they'll just Weekend At Bernies this, and it'll be *hilarious* at the next summit meeting.

Mully

This could be the plot for the next reboot of Wolfenstein.

Putin rules the world after emerging from a successful surgery which melds his craftiness with a robot body. BJ Blazkowicz breaks out of the cryo-gulag to fight NeoUSSR and meet Putin in Moscow.

spekkeh

Banned

It also opens up scary potential. It would be better in any case if Putin was to be overthrown that it would come from the Oligarch side. That would offer the best chance for peace and maybe a chance for a better future. If Putin is taken out by the Militarized side that is a very scary situation.
Yikes yeah that's the worst scenario, that Putin wants to broker for peace and gets overthrown by his own hardmen.

Joe

Is daily mail reliable?

http://www.*****************/news/a...e-flourish.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline

Vladimir Putin is 'alive' but 'neutralised' as shadowy security chiefs stage a stealthy coup in Moscow, it was claimed last night.

Former FSB chief Nikolai Patrushev was behind the plot, claimed chairman of the pro-Kremlin national Islamic Committee, Geydar Dzhemal
'
I think that Putin is neutralised at the moment, but of course, he is alive,' said Dzhemal, seen as a Kremlin loyalist.

'He is under the control of the power-wielding agencies, who have, in my opinion, organised a coup d'etat.'

Edit:guess it isn't. Lol

Tugatrix

So the theory is that US are crushing the oil market to get the Russians and Putin is being removed due to that? I think we need a gif with Putin saying Thanks Obama

B4D1E

I didn't follow the latest news on the ukrainian crisis, was Putin willing to broker a peace treaty to be called a traitor?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The worst thing about a potential coup d'etat is that the new President or main influence is effectively guaranteed to be worse than Putin. That was part of the reason Putin was tolerated by the West to begin with.

antonz

I didn't follow the latest news on the ukrainian crisis, was Putin willing to broker a peace treaty to be called a traitor?

The fact Putin has not gone full bear is why he is viewed as a traitor. Military Circle feel Russia should have just smashed Eastern Ukraine and been done. Instead of this prolonged and bloody conflict

DiscoJer

I don't think they're that powerfull... Or suicidal. Their biggest client is Uncle Sam!

That's kind of the point.

Right now the US is producing huge amounts of oil (so much we are running out of places to put it). However, the methods used are expensive and only profitable when oil is fairly high priced.

Saudi Arabia wants to put those producers out of business, so they want to keep the prices low as possible, so producers in the US will close down, and the price of oil will rise back up eventually.

Blizzard

Banned
Saudi Arabia. They're trying to destroy the US/Canadian shale market, and possibly Russian gas market as well.

I don't think they're that powerfull... Or suicidal. Their biggest client is Uncle Sam!

This is anecdotal, but I personally know someone who lost a software job at a fracking company, apparently because of the Saudi Arabian price pressures hurting fracking. Maybe their efforts have worked in some sense.

Violet_0

Banned
The worst thing about a potential coup d'etat is that the new President or main influence is effectively guaranteed to be worse than Putin. That was part of the reason Putin was tolerated by the West to begin with.

I suppose we can't ask for Medvedev to come back

chadskin

The Kremlin has said President Vladimir Putin will watch a Russian television documentary film about the annexation of Crimea by Russia.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on March 14 that Putin -- who has not made a public appearance since March 5 -- will watch the documentary when it is broadcast on state television on March 15 at 10 p.m. local time.
http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-putin-crimea-documentary/26901915.html

So they're still pretending Putin is alive. ;)

Deku Tree

Interesting article

http://www.businessinsider.com/puti...-disappearance-is-starting-to-hurt-him-2015-3

Unless the Armenian president is part of a conspiracy — not impossible, but unlikely — then we do know that he (or, if you really want to follow the paranoid route, and go for a really, really unlikely possibility, a gifted mimic) had a phone conversation with Putin on Thursday 12th. A phone conversation could have been patched through from wherever, and Putin could have spoken from a sick bed, so other options could still apply, but at least this suggests no need to start planning the state funeral.

Read more: https://inmoscowsshadows.wordpress.com/2015/03/14/no-coups-today/#ixzz3US4lT0Op

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I suppose we can't ask for Medvedev to come back

Medvedev would probably be the most prominent candidate if a coup attempt backfired, but Putin was still incapacitated, killed, or forced to step down in some way. He is constitutionally second in line, so if the leader is removed but the structure remains, he'd be the heir apparent. Two problems though: Russia is so tightly centralised around Putin now that the prospect of Putin going but the structure remaining is close to nil, and secondly Medvedev isn't really an improvement. At best, he was the good cop to Putin's bad cop but that was essentially for show. He'd essentially be a continuation of the status quo, except even more paranoid.

My money is on a stroke. Could even be a minor one, but they need some time to prop him up before he goes under the spotlight again.

My money is on a stroke. Could even be a minor one, but they need some time to prop him up before he goes under the spotlight again.

Could be, the man is 62 afterall, not exactly a spring chicken.

I still think that it's probably not health related. I think he's embroiled in some kind of crisis, perhaps internal conflict in the fallout of Nemstov's killing. Or something else that we have no idea about.

Saudi Arabia. They're trying to destroy the US/Canadian shale market, and possibly Russian gas market as well.

Actually they're trying to force regime change in Iran, in the same way they did in 1979. US/Canada benefit overall from lower oil prices, as will any country that's not a parasitic petrostate.

1. How is it 'guarenteed' his successor will be worse?
2. What exactly could his successor do that would be out of line for Putin? Murdering and repressing dissentients, encouraging reactionary violence against gays, corrupting the legal system and civil rights process, invading neighbouring countries and lying constantly seems had to top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom