• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Microsoft preparing Xbox App and GamePass for Nintendo Switch

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
First of all I'm not yelling, clearly pointing out factual things when people think this is new technology, and my opinion on the future based on the past. You might be right on the last statement, meaning maybe something will change and people will flock to it, I say unlikely... its also possible for Ford start up production on the Model T and it sells like hotcakes, good luck, you might be right but probably not.

So.... streaming is so great but none of these people screaming how great it is haven't signed up and had no idea all of this has been available for 5-10 years, but lets start another 100 new topics on it.

Its not that I don't like it - clearly all you guys don't like it or you would have signed up over the last 5-10 years. You didn't. Clearly these people haven't signed up, they didn't even no it existed.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/7-20-2018/88PTS9.mp4

Youre on a gaming forum talking to the 5 percent that follow the industry closely. We care about things like resolution, latency, fidelity. Your opinions here will almost always be towards the higher quality option.

Most of us have no reason to stream because we are the market that buys discs and digital.

And for the record I did sign up for PlayStation now. I've used it. But I found the library lacking not the tech.

DanielsM

Banned
Youre on a gaming forum talking to the 5 percent that follow the industry closely. We care about things like resolution, latency, fidelity. Your opinions here will almost always be towards the higher quality option.

Most of us have no reason to stream because we are the market that buys discs and digital.

And for the record I did sign up for PlayStation now. I've used it. But I found the library lacking not the tech.

Well, with 600-700 games it probably isn't going to get much better, not for $7-10 a month. There really isn't a business model that makes sense, even if you don't mind the tech disadvantage. Netflix is burning cash at an incredible rate to try and get content.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Well, with 600-700 games it probably isn't going to get much better, not for $7-10 a month. There really isn't a business model that makes sense, even if you don't mind the tech disadvantage. Netflix is burning cash at an incredible rate to try and get content.

What exactly is your argument? They aren't first to market? They aren't using new tech? They won't make money?

DanielsM

Banned
What exactly is your argument? They aren't first to market? They aren't using new tech? They won't make money?

No, it has nothing to do with first to market, although that doesn't help, Sony wasn't the first to market.... whole bunch of companies already went belly up.

They probably won't make money just like Sony isn't making money on it nor any streaming company, generally speaking.

1. Tech is subpar to native playing, but even if it were even...
2. There really isn't a business model to support it... at least one we have seen yet.

There are headwinds to streaming models, game streaming is worse, lots more processing and much more electricity usage than music/movie streaming.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
So Microsoft's end goal is to basically be Sega channel. = /

I have a hunch their "end goal" is to get Nintendo's exclusives on Xbox. What does Nintendo do best? Exclusive games. What does Xbox do best? Hardware & software (especially online infrastructure). Combine both & voilà, win-win.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
No, it has nothing to do with first to market, although that doesn't help, Sony wasn't the first to market.... whole bunch of companies already went belly up.

They probably won't make money just like Sony isn't making money on it nor any streaming company, generally speaking.

1. Tech is subpar to native playing, but even if it were even...
2. There really isn't a business model to support it... at least one we have seen yet.

There are headwinds to streaming models, game streaming is worse, lots more processing and much more electricity usage than music/movie streaming.

And you think it's not sustainable because Hulu and Netflix have had issues becoming profitable in the streaming market?

DanielsM

Banned
And you think it's not sustainable because Hulu and Netflix have had issues becoming profitable in the streaming market?

Yes, but its worse than those, more costs and not as good as natively playing, and not cheaper that is if you want the latest and greatest, generally speaking. Game streaming is competing with native playing, native playing is better and over the long-run cheaper. Gaming streaming or say if they release a virtual Xbox, is like Virtual Desktops in the business world... the problem is... its cheaper to manage your own Xbox at the house than Microsoft manage it, now if you work for a business their can be savings in IT support for virtual desktops, but even that is marginal.... but we're talking managing 100s if not 1000s of desktops.

I can manage my cat cheaper and better than the animal kennel, so why would I give my cat to the animal kennel to manage? The same thing applies to a Xbox, you just plug it in, and give it some juice.

Last edited:

Owari

I have a hunch their "end goal" is to get Nintendo's exclusives on Xbox. What does Nintendo do best? Exclusive games. What does Xbox do best? Hardware & software (especially online infrastructure). Combine both & voilà, win-win.
Never going to happen.

Also their software on Xbox is terrible.

DanielsM

Banned
Nikana,

What they are doing can make sense in the business world, meaning virtual servers or desktops, this CAN (but not always) save a corporation money, thereby reducing head count to support the physical desktops/servers. For personal use, its much more hazy, who needs Sony to manage their PS4? Essentially that is what all this is.... you are renting a virtual box... they manage the underlying hardware, but there is no savings as you don't have to hire 5 guys to help keep your PS4 running. There are negative cost savings, streaming movies/music is less so, as streaming those are less process intensive. If you have right equipment you can stream your own music/movies. So, now it comes down to a service that generally is going to me more expensive plus you have the content costs.

The content costs never go away as Netflix, Spotify, etc. are finding out. What needs to happen, drastic rise in subscription fees. probably double for Netflix and then you are back up to cable costs or close Cloud services can save money, but anyone that has worked with them will tell you they can also cost you money, either way as a corporation you better have an exit plan.

As an option I see nothing wrong with it, if the market likes it, cool, I probably will not buy in - I'm not the market on that I would agree.

Last edited:

Kagero

Welcome to 2015, you could play 4+ years ago on TVs. Nobody wanted it.

(Are you serious? You already have the information in this exact thread)
Who could play 4+ years ago? Not me. We just got good internet in my area 2 years ago. Like I said, tech in the hindrance. By 5 years most people should have reliable internet and streaming tech will be 100 times better.

Corrik

Nintendo has zero reason to do this. Unless Microsoft is buying Nintendo.

DanielsM

Banned
Who could play 4+ years ago? Not me. We just got good internet in my area 2 years ago. Like I said, tech in the hindrance. By 5 years most people should have reliable internet and streaming tech will be 100 times better.

It worked back 5 years ago, I think I tested OnLive I had around 10mb down back in 2010-11. 80-90% of people in this country probably had good enough internet to run this stuff when it was rolled out back in 2010ish. This issues with game streaming still exist and I have a 400+mb down pipe. It has nothing to do with bandwidth, generally speaking. I've run PS remote play off my T-Mobile account up in remote mountains years ago with my Vita.

Sony will be happy if you signed up, the masses haven't, the market isn't wrong.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Nintendo has zero reason to do this. Unless Microsoft is buying Nintendo.

Wait & see. I could be wrong, but in this economy, this market, I can see "why" Nintendo could gain from Zelda on a powerful machine with high settings & a new playerbase excited to get the best of Nintendo. One month ago people would have been labelled mad at the suggestion Halo & Gears of War were coming to Nintendo. So anything goes.

Kagero

It worked back 5 years ago, I think I tested OnLive I had around 10mb down back in 2010-11. 80-90% of people in this country probably had good enough internet to run this stuff when it was rolled out back in 2010ish. This issues with game streaming still exist and I have a 400+mb down pipe. It has nothing to do with bandwidth, generally speaking. I've run PS remote play off my T-Mobile account up in remote mountains years ago with my Vita.

Sony will be happy if you signed up, the masses haven't, the market isn't wrong.
Well let's agree to disagree then. All of my friends that used these types of services told me the same things. That streaming tech isn't quite reliable enough to play competitive shooters. They also said they would be willing to adopt the tech once it's caught up and was reliable.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Netflix is profitable.

DanielsM

Banned
Well let's agree to disagree then. All of my friends that used these types of services told me the same things. That streaming tech isn't quite reliable enough to play competitive shooters. They also said they would be willing to adopt the tech once it's caught up and was reliable.

Maybe that will happen one day, I have my doubts that the speed of light will be broken by game streaming technology anytime soon, but even if the technology was just as good - breakdown how its going to make money?

Having game stream equal to native playing is only one problem, of many. (maybe someone will come up with something, I'm not sure we have seen anything like that yet though)

Last edited:

zenspider

Spoiler: this runs like ass to anyone without an incredible wired internet connection, and people who spend that much on internet tend to have hardware more capable than a Nintendo Switch.

I don't think I ever made claims about performance - just that it existed - but from what I've heard, if you're in Japan it's runs good. Furthermore, IGN Japan reported the difference between LAN and Wifi at home negligible, so it seems like it has more to do with national infrastructure than your ISP tier.

I'm sure plenty of people had performance issues trying to play from across the world, but that's not really a fair or accurate measure.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yes, but its worse than those, more costs and not as good as natively playing, and not cheaper that is if you want the latest and greatest, generally speaking. Game streaming is competing with native playing, native playing is better and over the long-run cheaper. Gaming streaming or say if they release a virtual Xbox, is like Virtual Desktops in the business world... the problem is... its cheaper to manage your own Xbox at the house than Microsoft manage it, now if you work for a business their can be savings in IT support for virtual desktops, but even that is marginal.... but we're talking managing 100s if not 1000s of desktops.

I can manage my cat cheaper and better than the animal kennel, so why would I give my cat to the animal kennel to manage? The same thing applies to a Xbox, you just plug it in, and give it some juice.

You're looking at this way too close and in my opinion using extremely narrow minded arguments based on segments that don't apply to the Mass consumer.

Especially when you consider Microsoft's current roadmap with core OS/windows lite.

If your main argument is cost of goods on both ends, the supplier being Microsoft and the cost of hardware for the consumer, then sure at this moment it makes way more sense to just buy an Xbox. But when you factor in future projects like windows lite, it will be far cheaper to have a device that is capable of streaming for the Mass consumer

at one point it also made more sense to buy a CD than go through the hassle of ripping music. But now that idea seems nuts.

PocoJoe

Banned
while unlimited 100/10 connection costs 10-20€/month, I still doubt that streaming services for games works well enough. Maybe for super casuals, "normal" gamers want low enough lag to play

EDMIX

Why would Nintendo want to sign a deal like this to help MS?

Cause it helps them too. They get more content. I called this a while ago that MS ultimately would likely seek to go 3rd party as the writing is all over the walls. They are now putting everything on PC, we have rumors from many sources saying they will do the same on Switch and it will likely continue til they are putting games on PS4 / PS5. To folks still trying to pretend this isn't a thing happening, all I got to say is....remember when folks kept saying you wouldn't see MS games on Mac? How about Steam? At this point, we've heard this before and MS isn't really new to putting games on many platforms so I think this is not only likely, but was planned for some time now if they couldn't move a significant amount of units.

So this would make sense for Nintendo as they get more games, this would make sense for Sony as ....they get more games, this also makes sense for MS as they get the money. Maybe this makes more sense for MS.

EDMIX

I
Guess it's one way deal. MS giving games for them allowing Game pass.

Exactly. Why on earth would Nintendo need to put their games on XB? This is from a place that MS is coming in as the lessor ie beggars can't be choosers, Nintendo has little reason to put their games on XB or PS because they are moving enough units to the point where its not needed.

One day when that changes, sure you might see that happen, but this sounds like a one way street type thing. Nintendo may have sold 14 mill Wii U, but they also sold over 80 million 3DS and that portable install base is continue that support on to Switch.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Cause it helps them too. They get more content. I called this a while ago that MS ultimately would likely seek to go 3rd party as the writing is all over the walls. They are now putting everything on PC, we have rumors from many sources saying they will do the same on Switch and it will likely continue til they are putting games on PS4 / PS5. To folks still trying to pretend this isn't a thing happening, all I got to say is....remember when folks kept saying you wouldn't see MS games on Mac? How about Steam? At this point, we've heard this before and MS isn't really new to putting games on many platforms so I think this is not only likely, but was planned for some time now if they couldn't move a significant amount of units.

So this would make sense for Nintendo as they get more games, this would make sense for Sony as ....they get more games, this also makes sense for MS as they get the money. Maybe this makes more sense for MS.

But if people play more Xbox games on their Switch, how would that help Nintendo?

NickFire

But if people play more Xbox games on their Switch, how would that help Nintendo?
I think it would because they would get revenue from it, and it would fill in the gaps between 1st party releases. IMO, chances are if you bought a Switch already you are not likely to say no to 1st party games just because of the availability of more 3rd party games. So IMO very little would be lost there, and certainly not enough to offset whatever revenue is gained.

mckmas8808

I think it would because they would get revenue from it, and it would fill in the gaps between 1st party releases. IMO, chances are if you bought a Switch already you are not likely to say no to 1st party games just because of the availability of more 3rd party games. So IMO very little would be lost there, and certainly not enough to offset whatever revenue is gained.

So you are thinking that Nintendo would get a good percentage of the money of every game bought from a Switch? Or are you saying MS would be paying Nintendo a yearly fee (Example: $100million a year for Switch access) to host Gamepass on all Nintendo Switches?

If so, then yeah I can see Nintendo selling Switch real estate space to MS for a 9 figure per year fee in order to make this happen.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So you are thinking that Nintendo would get a good percentage of the money of every game bought from a Switch? Or are you saying MS would be paying Nintendo a yearly fee (Example: $100million a year for Switch access) to host Gamepass on all Nintendo Switches?

If so, then yeah I can see Nintendo selling Switch real estate space to MS for a 9 figure per year fee in order to make this happen.

I'd have to assume it would be a typical licensing play.

DanielsM

Banned
In theory, Nintendo could give access upon fees paid by Microsoft. Apple has stopped (or last time I checked) Valve from providing streaming via its Steam Link app for instance -there is no free ride.

I would imagine the device manufacturers will put the squeeze on more, in the future.

Last edited:

NickFire

How it would monetize for game pass I am not sure, but I really doubt Nintendo would let MS profit from Switch in any way without a cut. On game sales I would assume a percentage would be paid just like for games on any system, Steam, Epic, etc. Of course, MS might have the clout for a smaller percent than others via volume and /or incentives like help making a better online service, or server hosting, etc. The game pass thing - that one is tricky. Probably easy if they subscribe via Switch, but outside of that not sure. The incentives could certainly help there I would think.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Of course Nintendo would get a cut.

Why would MS get a free pass when every digital sale of anything on console digital marketplaces or Steam has the marketplace owner getting a cut?

What may get tricky is how Nintendo/MS/game maker gets a cut of a digital download. If a gamer buys a game that is currently already on Switch, but bought it because it's tracked he played it on GP then went out and bought it. Maybe MS stills gets a cut..... just like a website getting a tiny affiliate rate.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Of course Nintendo would get a cut.

Why would MS get a free pass when every digital sale of anything on console digital marketplaces or Steam has the marketplace owner getting a cut?

What may get tricky is how Nintendo/MS/game maker gets a cut of a digital download. If a gamer buys a game that is currently already on Switch, but bought it because it's tracked he played it on GP then went out and bought it. Maybe MS stills gets a cut..... just like a website getting a tiny affiliate rate.

That seems extremely tricky. Like what happens if MS bans that account?

Last edited:

EDMIX

Could work. They are going into MS service to stream so if MS bans it, it would be like Youtube or something banning you. Your system will still work, you simply can't use that app on that account.

NickFire

Isn't that a risk consumers take for any digital purchase on any system whatsoever? I'm not saying I approve of banning anything other than online play outside of pirating. I just don't see that as a concern for many people.

Top Bottom