• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Microsoft preparing Xbox App and GamePass for Nintendo Switch

Gamezone

Gold Member
They care, until they have all the "cloud services" ready to roll-out (they are still developing them), then they don't care... they would actually rather you just downloaded Xbox games on you PC via the Microsoft Store in the meantime.

They want you in the eco-system, than they'll try and roll you into the cloud sometime in the future, or attempt to.

Its no different than what they are doing in Business Enterprise, slowly develop the service, then roll the customers into the Cloud i.e. subscription services.

We'll see. Leaks suggest that they will involve Steam in some way.

Breakage

Yup, I call him the Cloud Boy.
https://www.thestreet.com/story/14362988/1/microsofts-cloud-transformation-drive-earnings-beat.html

What I think is confusing people is that Microsoft can basically shove it all into the cloud or more like the remaining products.

Windows has already been cloudified ie Virtual Desktop services, what's the difference between that and a Xbox? To them nothing, to me a whole bunch.
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/virtual-desktop/

I think the reason why it's harder to accept Microsoft's cloud vision is because when it comes to consoles, the actual hardware is part of the identity [of a platform], whereas in the IT world people care less about what they are accessing Office, Windows etc on.
But yeah, it's not surprising to see them go in this direction when you look at the bigger picture outside of the Xbox division.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
We'll see. Leaks suggest that they will involve Steam in some way.

Why would they involve Steam? Meaning, if they are running from a service either streaming, virtualized, or via an application layer like hinted at by Polaris - where does Steam come in?
I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm missing the point.

I think the reason why it's harder to accept Microsoft's cloud vision is because when it comes to consoles, the actual hardware is part of the identity [of a platform], whereas in the corporate world people care less about what they are accessing Office, Windows etc on.
But yeah, it's not surprising to see them go in this direction when you look at the bigger picture outside of the Xbox division.

Yeah. As an IT professional, in some instances it makes sense for say Microsoft, Amazon, Google, RackSpace, etc to take the load off and manage the infrastructure and hardware, there can be benefits. The problem is, that doesn't make much sense on the consumer side of the house as much. Why do I need Microsoft to manage my Xbox in the Cloud? (which is really what we are talking about) Right now, all one has to do is spend 10 minutes setting it up, and turn it on when they want to use it. The benefits in enterprise/business don't really make sense, generally speaking on the consumer side, imo.

I think they are going to learn the hard way again, but they have deep pockets. I do find all of this very interesting as an observer though. (I appreciate everyone's patience with me, its kind of fun to see all this happen in real time)

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

Windows Central is like the tech version of Comedy Central.

and despite that, Xbox hardware sales have continued to trend upwards

This is either pure paid PR or worse.

Every single damn time Microsoft mentions Project xCloud, they always bring up "future Xbox hardware" which should serve as a large billboard to anyone worried or concerned about Xbox hardware falling by the wayside.

They need to keep the customer in the eco-system as all the services are not completed, duh. I have to laugh because all these articles kind to disregard that game streaming is a very mature technology but there is no real demand for it.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Windows Central is like the tech version of Comedy Central.

This is either pure paid PR or worse.

They need to keep the customer in the eco-system as all the services are not completed, duh. I have to laugh because all these articles kind to disregard that game streaming is a very mature technology but there is no real demand for it.

PlayStation Now says otherwise. To say there's no demand is crazy. To say there's no widespread demand, sure you could spin that, but streaming in every fashion other than games is crazy high. When Netflix launched streaming do you think people said there's no demand?

Breakage

Yeah. As an IT professional, in some instances it makes sense for say Microsoft, Amazon, Google, RackSpace, etc to take the load off and manage the infrastructure and hardware, there can be benefits. The problem is, that doesn't make much sense on the consumer side of the house as much. Why do I need Microsoft to manage my Xbox in the Cloud? (which is really what we are talking about) Right now, all one has to do is spend 10 minutes setting it up, and turn it on when they want to use it. The benefits in enterprise/business don't really make sense, generally speaking on the consumer side, imo.

I think they are going to learn the hard way again, but they have deep pockets. I do find all of this very interesting as an observer though. (I appreciate everyone's patience with me, its kind of fun to see all this happen in real time)

Personally, I think Microsoft's corporate IT approach in regard to the Xbox will not translate well in the gaming industry. Despite all the rhetoric put out by people such as Phil Spencer, it increasingly looks as if Microsoft’s bold cloud vision trumps everything. I think this is why some gamers end up feeling as if Microsoft isn't really as committed to making great games as, say, Sony or Nintendo is.

In the console arena, the distinctive hardware package, visual identity, and great exclusives matter a lot to many gamers. The various so-called console wars, for better or worse, are an indicator of this. I feel the remodelling of the Xbox platform as a service that is available on any device completely misses that.
I guess we will just have to see how things turn out.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Personally, I think Microsoft's corporate IT approach in regard to the Xbox will not translate well in the gaming industry. Despite all the rhetoric put out by people such as Phil Spencer, it increasingly looks as if Microsoft’s bold cloud vision trumps everything. I think this is why some gamers end up feeling as if Microsoft isn't really as committed to making great games as, say, Sony or Nintendo is.

In the console arena, the distinctive hardware package, visual identity, and great exclusives matter a lot to many gamers. The various so-called console wars, for better or worse, are an indicator of this. I feel the remodelling of the Xbox platform as a service that is available on any device completely misses that.
I guess we will just have to see how things turn out.

100% agree, its not the same business. Time will tell.

DanielsM

Banned
PlayStation Now says otherwise. To say there's no demand is crazy. To say there's no widespread demand, sure you could spin that, but streaming in every fashion other than games is crazy high. When Netflix launched streaming do you think people said there's no demand?

Sony does not release Playstation Now or Playstation Vue revenue numbers as a separate item, they don't even give subscription numbers either. They do give PSN Plus account subscriptions as they have quite a few of those. As far as Vue, its probably on deaths door.
https://www.multichannel.com/blog/sony-has-no-plans-shut-down-playstation-vue-report

There was a report in the Fall by a group that said they estimate revenue PS Now revenue at $140+m plus, but Sony does not give that information - so where did it come from? Made up.

There is a reason Sony stopped support for Bravia TVs, PS Vita, most of the phones ,etc - lack of demand for PS Now.
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/playstation-now-game-streaming-support,news-24475.html

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

Oh by the way, there is demand for Netflix but only if the price is real low.... which is why Netflix continues to burn $2-4 billion per year, as do most of the streaming services. Game streaming is even more costly to run, you have to have heavy processing on the server side meaning more cycle and more electricity costs in addition to the normal streaming cost royalties and internet usage.

Streaming in today's world doesn't really generate profits not really - which is why Microsoft bailed on Groove Music (formerly Xbox Music) after well over a decade.

I stream from my PS4, it works okay (in a pinch) but its not ideal, I have no idea why someone would want to pay for it. Free cool, subscription -> shove it.

Last edited:
It's not. I have contacts and know 100% this is BS. Nintendo and Sony will go nowhere near MS.

Do we still vet people who say things like this on NeoGAF? You don’t have to show us all the receipts if you don’t wish, but there was a time when Mods would vet such claims so we don’t end up with “my uncle works at Nintendo” type posts stating things definitively.

That said, I don’t believe the rumor as it is being stated. I DO think that we will see games being streamed to the Switch (including MS games) but to say that GamePass is coming to Switch seems like a bit of a stretch. Each publisher would have to agree with their games on GamePass being allowed to be streamed to the Switch, and I’m personally not sure that a lot of them would be open to this at the current time (unless things were changed with regards to how they are compensated for their properties being used in this manner).

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Could you imagine a Zelda: Breath of the Wild port for the Xbox One X? :messenger_sunglasses:
Pretty sure they'd be able to hit native 4k/60fps.
Fanboy mode

That would be sweet! But honestly I wouldn't expect their major franchises to come to Xbox if this were ever to happen. However there are some games that aren't Zelda or Mario that I really would want to play. Bayonetta 3, for example.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
That reminds me...this seems to be very similar to some earlier news regarding xbox live going to the switch. I made a thread about it that was merged with another. During that thread I was pretty certain that Gamepass would be going to switch.

I know this is still just rumor, but man...it's starting to look like my prediction was correct.

DanielsM

Banned
That reminds me...this seems to be very similar to some earlier news regarding xbox live going to the switch. I made a thread about it that was merged with another. During that thread I was pretty certain that Gamepass would be going to switch.

I know this is still just rumor, but man...it's starting to look like my prediction was correct.

Their Xbox Platform will be going to any viable device they can get it on, no different than Office (Office 365) on iOS or Android devices. Same thing. Over and over they keep saying what they are going to do, and they have been doing it for about 5-7 years now. Xbox is a Platform and they will bring that Platform to as many devices as possible that are viable.

“I voted no,” Nadella writes. “I did not get why the world needed the third ecosystem in phones unless we changed the rules … But it was too late to regain the ground we had lost. We were chasing our competitors’ taillights.”

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-ceo-not-get-world-needed-third-ecosystem-phones/

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

I actually wouldn't mind something like this. Considering Nintendo is no longer a Direct competitor to Sony or Microsoft, having one of the big 2 collaborate with them can help give them a leg up. It opens Nintendo's product up to a bigger audience, and it let's Microsoft expand their ambitions for cloud streaming with a platform that's better suited to it than a phone. It's a Win-Win.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Oh by the way, there is demand for Netflix but only if the price is real low.... which is why Netflix continues to burn $2-4 billion per year, as do most of the streaming services. Game streaming is even more costly to run, you have to have heavy processing on the server side meaning more cycle and more electricity costs in addition to the normal streaming cost royalties and internet usage.

Streaming in today's world doesn't really generate profits not really - which is why Microsoft bailed on Groove Music (formerly Xbox Music) after well over a decade.

I stream from my PS4, it works okay (in a pinch) but its not ideal, I have no idea why someone would want to pay for it. Free cool, subscription -> shove it.

You keep saying YOU have no idea why someone would pay for it. You don't represent the market.

And your Netflix argument isnt really an argument. They have plenty of people that spend more money on the 4k streaming options. People are willing to pay for something even if it's not the best as long as it "works". 4k streaming doesn't touch the quality of a 4k disc but people pay for it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Their Xbox Platform will be going to any viable device they can get it on, no different than Office (Office 365) on iOS or Android devices. Same thing. Over and over they keep saying what they are going to do, and they have been doing it for about 5-7 years now. Xbox is a Platform and they will bring that Platform to as many devices as possible that are viable.

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-ceo-not-get-world-needed-third-ecosystem-phones/

You may be surprised to see that others were quick to say that Xbox Game Pass was not going to be part of this. Saying you wouldn't be playing Xbox games on the Switch. Seems like if this is true, then they were wrong.

DanielsM

Banned
You keep saying YOU have no idea why someone would pay for it. You don't represent the market.

And your Netflix argument isnt really an argument. They have plenty of people that spend more money on the 4k streaming options. People are willing to pay for something even if it's not the best as long as it "works". 4k streaming doesn't touch the quality of a 4k disc but people pay for it.

Well, the market has already spoken a few times which is why the first and second round of game streaming companies went belly up., Sony barely talks about Now or Vue, Nvidia very little, etc. There is nothing new about this, which is why all these articles about xCloud are baffling, imo. (you're trying to hard)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_gaming

I have no argument on Netflix, they burn huge amounts of money per quarter which is really going on over a decade now - this is a known fact, nothing special about what they are doing, I've been able to stream music and movies from house since the early 2000s. Most of the other streaming companies are in similar boats - cash burning machines. Maybe one day there will be a business model to support all this, but as of right now - not so much.

You're not the market either.

Is there demand for movie and music streaming, yup, at a negative price to the streaming company i.e. Spotify, Netflix, etc. Is there demand for game streaming? Not really.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Nikana,

Let's simplify this a little, maybe this will cut to the chase.

For 5+ years, Playstation 4 owners could stream from their own box remotely to play games, for FREE. For 4+ years, people could use the Playstation Now service and game stream, although the selection is slow to include PS4 titles there are like 650+ games there in various forms. But here is the thing, if you got rid of either one of those services I doubt most Playstation users would even care. For the record, I see nothing wrong per se for PS Now as an option, its just not an ideal solution. PS Remote Play is cool as well, but its just an extra features, not something to go all ape shit about. Just my take and I feel responsibly certain most PS users feel similar.

Here is the thing, if you thought it was so great you would have subscriptions today for game streaming services, my bet, you don't.

As far as I am concern, Microsoft is copying a failed business model, and that is okay, its not my money. Maybe that will change in the future, right now it looks like a disaster.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
All I know...is if this happens..I'm buying a switch. Switch owners, quick question. Can you use the more classic controllers with an undocked switch, or do you need to use the joycons? I tried it out at best buy and my fingers feel mammoth on those lil things.

All I know...is if this happens..I'm buying a switch. Switch owners, quick question. Can you use the more classic controllers with an undocked switch, or do you need to use the joycons? I tried it out at best buy and my fingers feel mammoth on those lil things.

Yeah, you can use the classic controller with an undocked switch. Clearly you can't hold the Switch itself in your hands then though. Well...probably.

farmerboy

In my heart of hearts, I think this is bullshit.

But then, being a cynical old bastard, I think everything's bullshit.

I still think it's bullshit.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Nikana,

Let's simplify this a little, maybe this will cut to the chase.

For 5+ years, Playstation 4 owners could stream from their own box remotely to play games, for FREE. For 4+ years, people could use the Playstation Now service and game stream, although the selection is slow to include PS4 titles there are like 650+ games there in various forms. But here is the thing, if you got rid of either one of those services I doubt most Playstation users would even care. For the record, I see nothing wrong per se PS Now as an option, its just not an ideal solution. PS Remote Play is cool as well, but its just an extra features, not something to go all ape shit about. Just my take and I feel responsibly certain most PS users feel similar.

Here is the thing, if you thought it was so great you would have subscriptions today for game streaming services, my bet, you don't.

As far as I am concern, Microsoft is copying a failed business model.

It would benefit you to use verbage that doesn't come off so aggressive and non communative. It makes people not want to have conversations with you.

I never said that PlayStation now is successful or that it proves streaming is profitable.

My point is simply that there is demand for it. If there wasn't then they wouldn't have subscribers. Is it sustainable? Time will tell.

Streamings biggest hurdle is the same as any new type of tech. Marketing and how to get people to understand it and use it.

This is where xcloud seems to be different because they are targeting other gaming hardware in the switch. As well as their platform of windows and mobile devices. Sonys biggest issue is they don't educate anybody about Now, but they STILL get subscribers.

DanielsM

Banned
My point is simply that there is demand for it. If there wasn't then they wouldn't have subscribers. Is it sustainable? Time will tell.

Streamings biggest hurdle is the same as any new type of tech. Marketing and how to get people to understand it and use it.

This is where xcloud seems to be different because they are targeting other gaming hardware in the switch. As well as their platform of windows and mobile devices. Sonys biggest issue is they don't educate anybody about Now, but they STILL get subscribers.

Sorry, if I sound aggressive, its text form and that comes off poorly sometimes. My apology if that is the case. There isn't enough demand at the price point to make it viable long-term, at least that is what has been shown over the last decade. The tech is not new, heck, I've been streaming my own music/movies from my own home servers since the early 2000s, at work since the late 90s.

PS Now use to target Windows, TVs, Vita, Vita TV, PS3, PS4, some phones, etc. -> now only Windows and PS4 No or limited demand.
Here is PS Remote Play on just about everything. LOL Its a nice feature but most PS users aren't giving up their PS for remote only streaming.

Look, its an option, its just not a widely used option, remote play is a nice feature but if they ditched it... I doubt anyone throws up an alarm bells.

I use remote play occasional, I even tried PS Now during the beta, its fine, its just not ideal for most gamers, imo.

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
Nintendo isn't that stupid to release their high caliber games like TLOZ, Mario 3ds, Smash, Pokemon and etc on Xbox since Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling console in this generation and about to outsell XB1 in this Q2 or Q3.

TLOZ is one of the highest rated game in this generation and sold over 13.5 million copies
SMO is one of the highest rated game in this generation and sold over 13.7 million copies
Smash Ultimate is the highest rated fighting game in this generation and the fastest selling exclusive of all times 12.08 million copies in 24 days
MK8D is one of the highest rated racing game in this generation and highest selling racing game in this generation 15.02 million copies
Pokemon Let's Go is the fastest selling JRPG in this generation with 10 million copies sold under 2 months

Nothing from Sony and Microsoft came close to that level.

The deal is probably to let Microsoft run their services on Switch and in returns Nintendo wanted XB1 games to be ported to Switch.

Last edited:

benjohn

To be honest I think this is the beginning of the end to Xbox as a console and Xbox culture in general. You may argue that its a good financial decision for Microsoft (I'd agree) but it also doesn't take away from the fact that if true, Xbox'd be rendered irrelevant. Especially if Microsoft continues to push its software to more and more platforms and eventually PlayStation

12Dannu123

\
To be honest I think this is the beginning of the end to Xbox as a console and Xbox culture in general. You may argue that its a good financial decision for Microsoft (I'd agree) but it also doesn't take away from the fact that if true, Xbox'd be rendered irrelevant. Especially if Microsoft continues to push its software to more and more platforms and eventually PlayStation

Or it could lead to the dominance of Xbox beyond consoles? There's more to gain in the future vs a stagnating declining console market. If Xbox platform has 100 Million users but only 30 Million consoles vs 90 Million PS5 consoles and 10 Million PSNow users. Developers will pick the Xbox platform as a result because there's much more potential there.

The ONLY reason why Sony isn't going this path is because they and everyone else knows that Sony has no resources to compete against giants like MS, Amazon and Google, especially in a space that is dominated by Cloud.

Last edited:

benjohn

\

Or it could lead to the dominance of Xbox beyond consoles? There's more to gain in the future vs a stagnating declining console market.
I'm specifically talking about Xbox as a console not as a service. I even mentioned that financially it makes sense

12Dannu123

I'm specifically talking about Xbox as a console not as a service. I even mentioned that financially it makes sense

Xbox consoles and Xbox culture would still be there, the only thing that will likely die off is console warring. It's a hard reality check for a lot of console war fans

Last edited:

benjohn

Xbox consoles and Xbox culture would still be there, the only thing that will likely die off is console warring.
That's quite an assumption. Console wars never die. That's for sure:messenger_beaming: But Xbox hardware, that's another story. Only time will tell

12Dannu123

I'm so confused, Playstation Now is available today on nearly a billion Windows PCs.

Except Sony doesn't treat PSNow as a priority and likely has no plans to expand PSNow to more devices? Plus limited to a limited number of countries where Sony has servers while also being that no good third party games actually use the service. Compared to Game Pass where we see good quality third parties and day 1 first party games come to the service, while also XCloud allowing users to play their digitally owned games anywhere.

That's quite an assumption. Console wars never die. That's for sure:messenger_beaming: But Xbox hardware, that's another story. Only time will tell

Let my rephrase that, Consoles wars will likely be eroded as Google, Amazon introduces consoles and a streaming service like Microsoft. I predict Sony fans will likely face a hard reality check when Sony also follows suit.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
\

Or it could lead to the dominance of Xbox beyond consoles? There's more to gain in the future vs a stagnating declining console market. If Xbox platform has 100 Million users but only 30 Million consoles vs 90 Million PS5 consoles and 10 Million PSNow users. Developers will pick the Xbox platform as a result because there's much more potential there.

The ONLY reason why Sony isn't going this path is because they and everyone else knows that Sony has no resources to compete against giants like MS, Amazon and Google, especially in a space that is dominated by Cloud.

Again, you're speaking about things you currently do not know. PS Now works and it has proven to be the case. You're literally saying they will not and cannot improve their cloud tech and that's a very ignorant approach to take.

What you also fail to realize is that PS now is on PC and rumored to be expanding to other decides. I know you're excited for xCloud, but at least be reasonable.

benjohn

Let my rephrase that, Consoles wars will likely be eroded as Google, Amazon introduces consoles and a streaming service like Microsoft.
But how? With making your games available on anything under the sun you cannot convince people to buy your console. There's a reason console manufacturers are so protective about their 1th party games. I just can't make sense of your line of reasoning

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Except Sony doesn't treat PSNow as a priority and likely has no plans to expand PSNow to more devices? Plus limited to a limited number of countries where Sony has servers while also being that no good third party games actually use the service. Compared to Game Pass where we see good quality third parties and day 1 first party games come to the service, while also XCloud allowing users to play their digitally owned games anywhere.

Let my rephrase that, Consoles wars will likely be eroded as Google, Amazon introduces consoles and a streaming service like Microsoft. I predict Sony fans will likely face a hard reality check when Sony also follows suit.

Again, your post is literally filled with nonsense. It's like pushing some fanboy agenda. lol

Amazon and Google introducing consoles?

Some how you think this will be huge, but they have yet to show or even release a huge first party title. You know, they need this to make make their console successful, right? Sony obviously wants PS Now on multiple decides and it will be a bad business move if they just decided to just to stick with PlayStation and PC platforms.

Technology advances and to say they Sony will remain in the same position as far as cloud tech goes is just ridiculous. And having game pass first party games give them a huge advantage? What makes you think that others cannot have this same approach?

DanielsM

Banned

Because... there is no demand, they scaled back their supported devices because nobody was using it in the countries and devices it was available on. Last time I check 1 billion devices is a lot more then 0. Heck, Nvidia GeForce (beta) is available on more than that even. Let's say I am complete wrong, meaning game streaming goes mainstream. What happens next EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc. start their own streaming service and take all their games off of competitors services. Ubisoft already said they were looking at it.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Xbox consoles and Xbox culture would still be there, the only thing that will likely die off is console warring. It's a hard reality check for a lot of console war fans

Hi, how do you double like something. I don't see a button for that

DanielsM

Banned
If everyone is excited for this, just remember that PSNOW is a thing anf it's fucking wank to stream.

Streaming is not ready.

Xbox fan 2014: Game streaming sucks, Playstation Now sucks.
Everyone else: Yeah, game streaming isn't ideal, but its an option but will probably not make it.
Xbox fan 2019: Microsoft is going to game streaming services, yeah, great for the world, amazing!
Everyone else: I thought game streaming sucked?
Everyone else: Do you have a subscription to a game streaming service? If no, why not?
Xbox fan 2019: Console warrior!

Seriously, I can't even imagine the marketing budget for all this.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm having flashbacks of 2015

Sony doesn't have anything to compete with DirectX12 and the Cloud. Nintendo Wii U games are coming to the Xbox. You will be able to Stream steam games on Xbox One. Yes, these were things that I've heard. People need to stop hyping things up and claiming that the competition is done well before anything actually happens.

Top Bottom