• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russell Crowe recalls turning down the role of Wolverine

Hastati

I'm really glad that Jackman was Wolverine, he was perfect in my uneducated opinion. Russell Crowe would still be a good choice for some character in the Marvel verse though, I'm sure. I dunno about him as a person but I've always liked him as an actor.

hydruxo

He probably would've made a great Wolverine, but yeah, this is one of those cases where it was for the best. Nobody can compare to Hugh's Wolverine.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's insane to me that Crowe is only 5 years older than Jackman.

Sure, Gladiator was his peak, but he's been playing, aging, old, kind of fat dudes for like 10 years now.
He played one the year before gladiator in The Insider, so its kinda not surprising.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's been probably 15 years since I saw Gladiator. Did any scene of him with a wolf make the cut? I can't remember that at all.

Mr_Moogle

Crowe is a better actor than Hugh Jackman but I'm still glad it worked out the way it did. Nobody can deny Jackman was an excellent Wolverine. He's up getting up there with Christopher Reeve for one of the best portrayals of a super hero.

jett

D-Member
Did Bryan Singer have a thing for Australians at the time? lol

It would've been an interesting turn of events. I wonder what Crowe would've done in the role. The man has effortlessly exuded badassness in multiple roles. Has massive presence. Who knows.

jett

D-Member
Master and Commander is one of the best movies of the last twenty years so I'm glad he turned down X-Men.

Master & Commander is one of the top movies ever. Best recognize.

I believe it when people tell me M&C is a masterpiece. I was just trying to measure the payday Crowe was turning down and checked the receipts and jeeeezus.

Always happy to see Master and Commander praise.

NR1NZ1j.gif

Master & Commander was the only movie that's ever put me to sleep. And I wasn't even tired before watching it.

tumblr_ljokgyyMBi1qc3sgso1_400.gif

Ratrat

Master & Commander was the only movie that's ever put me to sleep. And I wasn't even tired before watching it.
You should give it another chance. The movie didn't click with me right away and I was kind of bored too. But when you understand what kind of movie it is, its amazing. Rewatching it after reading the books makes it even better.

Socreges

Banned
Crowe would have been fine as Wolverine. Just as good. But could he have done Logan? He's a few years older and I doubt he would have stayed fit for the role. So either the film doesn't exist or they cast an actor without the linkages to the character, I'd guess

He would have really worked when he was younger but I can't see him keeping up with the fitness like JackedMan did. Hugh got bigger and bigger with each entry (his x2 look was the best tho) whereas Crowe has kind of turned into John Goodman (I got Goodman vibes in nice guys)

Still great tho

Grassy

He isn't Australian. Basic fact checking is getting hard I see. He was born in New Zealand and is still a citizen.

You've got it all wrong. We're allowed to claim him as Australian when he does something good like stars in an awesome movie, but when he plays in his band or throws a telephone at someone's head, he's a New Zealander.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Russell would've been really cool in the role. Aside from X2 I've never really cared much for Jackman's Wolvie.

That's too bad. I couldn't imagine being that resistant to the x-men movie franchise. Hugh Jackman to me transformed the comics in my mind, he brought so much warmth to the character, they really doubled down on Wolverine's mentorship characteristics. Wolverine and the X-men, Schism, they all followed the idea of a protective father type---eventhough it existed before in Clairmont's X-men.

Anyway, I really enjoyed Logan, and the fact Hugh Jackman always gave such maximum effort even with all the missteps the franchise took.

Crowe is too sluggish to play Logan;

yeah he was good in Gladiator but if you watch that movie again, the guy barely moved much and wasn't mobile

I doubt that he would have gotten to Jackman's level of fitness

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Didn't Maximus Crowe have that Wolf at the start in that battle with Germania? I recall a wolf helping him in the battle.

Wolf/dog/wolfdog, yeah.

I don't remember if he had a wolf on his formal battle wear, but when he was a gladiator he actually had two horses emblazoned on his chest armor, which he names when he's talking to Lucius.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You've got it all wrong. We're allowed to claim him as Australian when he does something good like stars in an awesome movie, but when he plays in his band or throws a telephone at someone's head, he's a New Zealander.

As a Scotsman reading about soccer hooliganism in tabloids growing up I feel you.

Zen Aku

I'm pretty sure I read in an interview somewhere that Crowe was either busy at the time with another project or wasn't exactly 100% interested in a superhero movie. So he passed it to his good friend Hugh Jackman. Now whether or not he regrets that is certainly up for debate. Jackman definitely have the discipline to keep himself in shaped and mentally in character for all of his appearances. He never phoned it in for a paycheck, and it shows throughout all his other movies like The Prestige and Prisoner. (two of my favorites)

So I'm glad things worked out the way it did. Hugh Jackman became a hugh star and we have enjoyed so many great performances from him for almost two decades now.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Jackman wasn't a good choice for Wolverine originally, it took him years to develop the portrayal into something that really fit the character. Crowe would have done something interesting for sure, and I don't doubt it would have been entertaining, but I can't imagine him playing something that really resembles Wolverine.

I'm glad he did. And I say that with no disrespect to Crowe.
Basically this.

That's too bad. I couldn't imagine being that resistant to the x-men movie franchise. Hugh Jackman to me transformed the comics in my mind, he brought so much warmth to the character, they really doubled down on Wolverine's mentorship characteristics. Wolverine and the X-men, Schism, they all followed the idea of a protective father type---eventhough it existed before in Clairmont's X-men.

Anyway, I really enjoyed Logan, and the fact Hugh Jackman always gave such maximum effort even with all the missteps the franchise took.

I like the X-Men movies fine but really for Stewart/McKellen.

Ratrat

Crowe is too sluggish to play Logan;

yeah he was good in Gladiator but if you watch that movie again, the guy barely moved much and wasn't mobile

I doubt that he would have gotten to Jackman's level of fitness
Cinderella Man?
Regardless, Crowe's done well enough for himself. None of his post gladiator movies are as bad as X3 and the first two Wolverine movies.

Turin

Banned
Master and Commander is an excellent movie that I didn't have the patience for until a few years ago.

As for Wolverine, he certainly wouldn't have stayed in shape for 17 years to keep playing the character.

Top Bottom