• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Loope

If I'm wrong, no big deal.

If you're wrong..................
Let's say you're right. How do you believe they can put an end to this?

Basically you have two scenarios (in your theory): Either Ukraine and the rest of the world concedes to him and his lunatic demands, just to avoid the end of the world, or the world ends with a nuclear war.

Given what's been happening from months, this seems more of a hot air baloon again from him.

I'm not saying it's you, but there are some people here with anxiety problems and screaming nuclear holocaust for every single thing is insane, same happened when Covid hit, some people acted like it was a full blown Ebola pandemic.

Yes, people should be careful and treat the menace with respect, but running around screaming the end of the world is ill advised at best.

The best is stay away from these kinds of threads because they usually just bring doubt and anxiety to other people prone to it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Most of the airborne contamination from the Chernobyl meltdown spread towards Europe. And wouldn't put it past Kremlin's regime, one of the most morbid in the world, to take the risk anyway.

Nope.

Russia was also badly affected. They have no way of predicting prevailing winds, so if they were to bomb a nuclear plant it would be as self destructive as anything else.

Last edited:

Mato

Nope.

Russia was also badly affected. They have no way of predicting prevailing winds, so if they were to bomb a nuclear plant it would be as self destructive as anything else.

My point still stands, Moscow hasn't run out of moves like you are suggesting and no matter how idiotic they may seem, they could still carry a lot of damage. There is room for further escalation from their side and for those of us who are at closer proximity to the battleground, in Europe, the potential for damage is more tangible, as we are already experiencing with the rising cost of energy.

Kerotan

Remaining Russian moves.

1. Full mobilisation
2. Chemical weapons
3. Bomb a nuclear power plant
4. Use nukes

All options will be very damaging to Russia..

5. Force Belarus to enter war.

This option could lead to Lukashenko being overthrown and maybe even Poland declaring war on Belarus.

My predictions for the next 6 month's.

Ukraine military becomes quite a bit stronger and better armed. Ukraine gains more territory. Russian economy continues to weaken. Lot's more dead Russian soldier's.

Which will leave Putin with 2 options. Full mobilisation or give up.

This latest announcement has just moved forward the end game.

FunkMiller

My point still stands, Moscow hasn't run out of moves like you are suggesting and no matter how idiotic they may seem, they could still carry a lot of damage. There is room for further escalation from their side and for those of us who are at closer proximity to the battleground, in Europe, the potential for damage is more tangible, as we are already experiencing with the rising cost of energy.

I’m in Europe, and my bills are through the roof.

If Putin is unlikely to use nuclear weapons, he is even less likely to actively strike a nuclear power facility in an outright attack.

He knows what will happen if he does so.

Putin thinks he is still living in a world where disinformation, fake news and words are powerful enough to alter events. That world ended when he invaded Ukraine. He thinks he can still bully the west into capitulation. He is thankfully very wrong.

The only real doubt now is whether he can realise this and backtrack to protect himself, or carry on thinking he can bullshit his way to a victory, and either find himself assassinated, or in The Hague.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Just when you think the nutjobs possibly can't do worse, they go ahead and do worse.

:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_

Where are the weapons and equipment going to come from for theese new soldiers? Are they really pulling out their 50's era crap, and T-34 from WW2 or something?! Going to be a disaster.

Cyberpunkd

This option could lead to Lukashenko being overthrown and maybe even Poland declaring war on Belarus.
Poland's military is jack shit despite government propaganda. Poland also has 16% inflation and massive energy shortage going into the winter, they have other things to worry about than war with Belarus.
Also, why would Poland be declaring war on Belarus? They are not a side of this conflict.

Putin's escalation of Russia's war effort in Ukraine is proof he is failing, say US and UK​

renderTimingPixel.png

businessinsider.com/putin-...

All plane tickets from Russia to visa-free countries have been sold out minutes after Putin's mobilization declaration​

renderTimingPixel.png

twitter.com/christ...

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

Putin's Z brigrade already detaining people for protesting. I wonder what horrors they will face.​

renderTimingPixel.png

I bet things will get bigger and bigger, or that is what I hope.

Last edited:

Tams

They could potentially bomb a nuclear power plant like Zaporizhzhia. It would be a relatively simple and inexpensive way to wreak havoc in all of Europe. Maybe you are at a safe distance and it is easy for you to dismiss the concerns.
That would be treated as an act of war on Europe, and therefore NATO.

So no, they aren't going to do that unless literally everyone in Russia has lost their mind.

winjer

Gold Member

seth meyers idiot GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

but he understand what will happen to him if he does.

Lukashenko is probably looking at Putin shooting himself in the foot and trying not to get involved.
He knows this is going to end badly, and he doesn't' want his career as a dictator to end so soon.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Kaliningrad is such an eyesore. A Russian military base in the middle of the EU but somehow it's NATO presence near the Russian border that's an issue.

Too bad no one wants it, since the original people have been long gone and replaced by imported Russians. Maybe we should just clear it out and make it into a huge nature reserve.

MastaKiiLA

So Putin is throwing fresh meat into the grinder? Good. US aid will further deplete their inventory. I just hope the people of Ukraine stay safe. I hate that I have to support war at all, but Ukraine deserves the support, as they're on the right side. And when they win, we'll all be better for it.

MikeM

Let's say you're right. How do you believe they can put an end to this?

Basically you have two scenarios (in your theory): Either Ukraine and the rest of the world concedes to him and his lunatic demands, just to avoid the end of the world, or the world ends with a nuclear war.

Given what's been happening from months, this seems more of a hot air baloon again from him.

I'm not saying it's you, but there are some people here with anxiety problems and screaming nuclear holocaust for every single thing is insane, same happened when Covid hit, some people acted like it was a full blown Ebola pandemic.

Yes, people should be careful and treat the menace with respect, but running around screaming the end of the world is ill advised at best.

The best is stay away from these kinds of threads because they usually just bring doubt and anxiety to other people prone to it.
I love the false accusations from Putin. Anyone with a brain knows the only one talking nuclear weapon usage is him.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
What the fuck is Putler trying to do?

He fucked up badly and now he’s choosing the dumbest option to attempt to save himself or at least make time.

Since it’s obvious he’s being pressured by the ultranationalists, my bet is he’d rather bury them in enough corpses that people who matter start to hate them and that point he’ll be able to offer them tea without repercussions. This my speculation.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I'm waiting to see the tsar tank in this war.

i0eOeRi.jpg

the machine as a whole, got stuck in soft ground almost immediately after the start of the test. The large wheels were unable to pull it out, despite the use of the most powerful propulsion system at that time, consisting of two captured Maybach engines.

There are certainties in life, like the Russian army stealing shit and sucking.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

All the power in the world won’t do shit if you have dopey wheels like that with zero traction. Russian engineers have all the common sense of a redneck who lifts his truck and puts giant rims on, leaving zero sidewall, making it useless if they ever took it off-road

Romulus

I don't know what it is about Russians. They think they can shove alot of poorly trained soldiers and barely maintained vehicles into a war and still win. They've always overlooked maintenence and logistics, literally 2 of the most critical aspects of winning a war.
Then they're so delusional that they ignore previous failures. If I were putin and I really wanted Ukraine, I'd take a hard look at why they failed.
But they're incapable of observing failures in any objective way, which disallows improvements.
Completely delusional and low intelligence, riding on propaganda.

Last edited:
Top Bottom