• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Crystal (new anime) - Character designs and voice cast revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

They just revealed the details on the Niconico stream.

Sailor Moon: Kotono Mitsuishi
Sailor Jupiter: Ami Koshimizu
Sailor Mercury: Hisako Kanemoto
Sailor Venus: Shizuka Ito
Sailor Mars: Rina Sato

Edit: The series will start streaming on Nico on July 5 2014 at 7pm (in Japan). It's supposed to be a worldwide stream. There will be new episodes on every first and third Saturday every month. So looks like's a bi-weekly series.

yDBztHZ.png

OhH1v0V.jpg

iTZkcHT.jpg

tDBCE7f.jpg

7CNQPao.png

KNtfnas.png

Pro-tip: If you want to derail the thread with nonsense about K-On or whatever, hit the BACK button on your browser now. :)

Scirrocco

Usagis head looks huge, but otherwise nice. I expected them to be a bit more styalized, but these almost look like they were taken from the manga.

Hmm, those designs... not sure how I feel about it.

On one hand, I'm kinda... glad ( I guess?) that it tries to translate Takeuchi's style into animation instead of going by a more generic design, but I feel like the end result in those shots came out looking kinda cheap, and kinda loses some of the luster that's great about Takeuchi's style.

But finally we've gotten an update on Sailor Moon! Aw yis.

Articalys

There will be new episodes on every first and third Saturday every month. So looks like's a bi-weekly series.
This is honestly the most interesting thing for me out of all the new info. Hopefully it means positive things for the animation quality.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
According to Twitter Apparently it'll air on 1st and 3rd Saturday every month as well. 2 eps a month?

duckroll

The designs definitely look kinda fanart-y. Hopefully they'll look better animated. Actually, scratch that. Hopefully they're done animating episode 1 by the time they start streaming it. :p

Pluto

There will be new episodes on every first and third Saturday every month. So looks like's a bi-weekly series.
Eh? I would have preferred a weekly series. I'm afraid people will lose interest if the show isn't on every week. Does japan have many bi-weekly shows, is that a thing over there?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The designs definitely look kinda fanart-y. Hopefully they'll look better animated. Actually, scratch that. Hopefully they're done animating episode 1 by the time they start streaming it. :p

Twitter seems to indicate that the designs came from a contest of some sort.

LiK

the designs look pretty old school. i mean from the early 80's kind of old school. curious how good the animation looks.

duckroll

Eh? I would have preferred a weekly series. I'm afraid people will lose interest if the show isn't on every week. Does japan have many bi-weekly shows, is that a thing over there?

This isn't even airing on TV. It's only streaming on Niconico Douga as far as we know. The entire thing seems to be bankrolled by Dwango, who are also producing the musicals iirc. I'm not expecting much honestly. It feels to me that someone decided they needed a new Sailor Moon anime for businesss reasons before anything actually existed, and they eventually found people to make it.

Toki767

I didn't even realize there was such a thing as a bi-weekly series. What happens when there are 5 Saturdays in a month?

Pluto

I like the designs, it is weird to see different anime designs but they're good, I believe I'll get used to them pretty fast.

Twitter seems to indicate that the designs came from a contest of some sort.
This isn't even airing on TV. It's only streaming on Niconico Douga as far as we know. The entire thing seems to be bankrolled by Dwango, who are also producing the musicals iirc. I'm not expecting much honestly. It feels to me that someone decided they needed a new Sailor Moon anime for businesss reasons before anything actually existed, and they eventually found people to make it.
Oh dear.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

You would think that it would be unhard to make a new Sailor Moon anime yet here we are.

fertygo

Oh wow, its sounds pretty promising lol

Articalys

For such an incredibly famous series that feels kind of... haphazard.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I knew Toei couldn't handle two magical girl shows in one year!

Branduil

Well, expectations massively lowered, then.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anime is great.

Pluto

Don't say that, that makes me think it will be a cheaply animated musical commercial, I want an epic retelling of the manga story with modern animation. I'm still happy it's starting soon but now I'm worried.

Gorillaz

I can't believe this is actually coming back

if comments are true in this thread, it could be a Struggle verison of it

Imma start calling it Struggle Moon

Beth Cyra

This is so incredibly sad to me.

Sailor Moon is amazing, and while I would never watch this new show (as my avatar shows, I'm a fan of Rei/Usa which was very much a original anime only thing) the series deserves so much better then this.

duckroll

Just what I saw on Twitter, I had my doubts about its veracity.

I haven't really seen anything about that. But hey, considering how everything else has gone so far, I wouldn't be surprised if she got the job because of an internal "audition" of designs submitted by different artists, given how she's an animator who has never done proper character design work before. It's a surprising choice for such a high profile franchise.

Branduil

I haven't really seen anything about that. But hey, considering how everything else has gone so far, I wouldn't be surprised if she got the job because of an internal "audition" of designs submitted by different artists, given how she's an animator who has never done proper character design work before. It's a surprising choice for such a high profile franchise.

"Surprising" seems like a kind euphemism here.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

I get the feeling that the behind-the-scenes story is the vastly more interesting tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom