• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Crystal (new anime) - Character designs and voice cast revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I also wonder what is wrong with their breasts:

yDBztHZ.png

It is like their upper body just consists of breasts.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of this. :lol

Pluto

Those are not their breats, it's just the upper part of the costume, I think it's padded, it always looked like that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm glad the design is classic.

Do we know how different this is supposed to be from the original anime/manga ? Surely they're shooting for a reimagining and the show will differ somewhat from its source material ? Or else what would be the point.
The 90's anime was an extremely loose adaptation that was significantly different from the source manga in both content and tone. Where the manga focused on plot, the anime introduced monsters of the week and spent the vast majority of its time on character interaction. The live action version produced in 2003 is somewhat closer to the manga, but makes its own innovations as it took different ideas from later arcs and adapted them into the first arc's story before going completely in its own direction.

Even though all three versions cover the Dark Kingdom arc, all three have completely different endings for it. Each one is a new experience. So the fact that we might get the manga version onscreen and not a fourth entirely new version isn't disappointing to me at all.

Meesh

I'm gonna remain optimistic, I don't think they'd foul such an iconic anime(at least in the west). Can't wait to get all "moon princess power"!!

duckroll

You know the worst thing about the "biweekly" schedule? It's not even really biweekly! Since it's the first and third Saturdays of every month... within this year alone, there will be a 3 week wait after ep4 and ep10, since August and November have 5 Saturdays each! Roflmao. :(

You know the worst thing about the "biweekly" schedule? It's not even really biweekly! Since it's the first and third Saturdays of every month... within this year alone, there will be a 3 week wait after ep4 and ep10, since August and November have 5 Saturdays each! Roflmao. :(

I wonder wtf happened with this whole production. You'd think that Toei would go crazy to make sure that a new Sailor Moon adaption would be as on point as possible but so far we've dealt with crazy delays and silence, and now its a web-exclusive (not-so) bi-weekly series.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I wonder wtf happened with this whole production. You'd think that Toei would go crazy to make sure that a new Sailor Moon adaption would be as on point as possible but so far we've dealt with crazy delays and silence, and now its a web-exclusive (not-so) bi-weekly series.
It was always attached to Niconico from the very first announcement.

Mr_Zombie

If the new anime will follow manga faithfully, and given that probably 1 chapter will be translated to 1 episode, the anime will be pretty short. I'm looking at the manga now and the whole Dark Kingdom arc is covered in as few as 14 chapters.

Prax

Looks ugly. :l MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN....
This is not the type of old school shoujo I want.
Usagi ESPECIALLY looks all kinds of off.
At least in Takeuchi's artwork, there's a dainty doe-y angular yet soft charm to it. The target Toei style was clean and cute. But this style, the eyes and hair look so amateur, the mouths just weak. PLUS the proportions are all kind of dumb, which I guess is par for the course if you wanna go for more CLAMP/Utena style, but totally doesn't pull it off. This hurts my soul. xD

Expectations definitely lowered.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If the new anime will follow manga faithfully, and given that probably 1 chapter will be translated to 1 episode, the anime will be pretty short. I'm looking at the manga now and the whole Dark Kingdom arc is covered in as few as 14 chapters.
The entire manga is 60 chapters.

I'm okay with their designs, but I don't think they look all that great. I'm hoping they'll look better in motion.

Mars looks awesome though, which is a huge thumbs up from me because she's the best out of them all.

Flipyap

Wow, this looks like bad fanart. Not to sound like a fanatical japanophile, but this looks like a clueless westerner's approximation of manga artwork, with its uneven, weirdly boxy eyes, oddly angled mouths.

ibzgd3GP9IINBE.jpg
ibaDJVOohJ0HPp.jpg
i7MHDGz4uyYPY.jpg
ibr5x9IJcdjeIg.jpg

When it's actually on model, it does look a lot like the original manga, which is also a strange choice, because that always looked bad. I guess it's supposed to be nostalgic, but it's just not nice to look at.

Linkark07

Banned
Only Kotono Mitsuishi is returning? I was expecting at least Ami's seiyuu to return too :(. I wonder if Toru Furuya will return as Mamoru.

Designs are ok. Not bad nor good.

I was happy until it appeared this will not air weekly.

e_i

Hisako Kanemoto voicing Mercury?

One of my favorite seriyuu voicing my favorite anime character ever?

HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!

Fapfapfapfapfap.

Nephtis

I'm excited for the new Sailor Moon -- even if my expectations have been lowered with all the bullshit around it.

As far as the design goes, I'm okay with it. The legs are a little too long for my taste, but hopefully the animation will translate well.

At least they didn't completely shit on the series. It could have been worse. It could have been like Seiya Omega.

The 90's anime was an extremely loose adaptation that was significantly different from the source manga in both content and tone. Where the manga focused on plot, the anime introduced monsters of the week and spent the vast majority of its time on character interaction. The live action version produced in 2003 is somewhat closer to the manga, but makes its own innovations as it took different ideas from later arcs and adapted them into the first arc's story before going completely in its own direction.

Even though all three versions cover the Dark Kingdom arc, all three have completely different endings for it. Each one is a new experience. So the fact that we might get the manga version onscreen and not a fourth entirely new version isn't disappointing to me at all.

Ah, I see. Then I hope they stick really close to the original story.

HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!HOLYSHIT!

Fapfapfapfapfap.

You get it

Hmm I don't really like these new designs too much either :/ I understand that the old designs took huge liberties and that these are much closer to the manga which isn't bad at all but something about the faces feels off and fake, especially the eyes... and dear god Rei... what happened to her? D: Still I'm pretty excited to see it in motion and reserve my judgement till then! :)

Venus is the best! :p

dan2026

I'm not seeing the complaints about the character designs.
Looks a lot closer to the manga for me.

Not sure if anyone has done a proper comparison yet though.

evanmisha

The designs are definitely a departure from what I was expecting, which could ultimately be a good thing. I'll reserve judgement until I see it in motion. Bi-weekly is a huge shock, though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Fapfapfapfapfap.

You get it

Traitors...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Voices seem totally perfect to me.

Ami x Rei was the OTP of the series (well based on the live action) and they definitely nailed those 2.

Love the new designs. Excited to watch this.

Bladenic

It feels really strange and rather disappointing that one of the most popular animes of all time is getting a seemingly cheap and shoddy new adaptation that won't even air on TV.

But it's Sailor Moon, so I'm super excited.

I kind of like the new designs, except my favorite Jupiter looks kinda off.

Shouta

Pretty close to the manga in design which is good but the art itself uses a coloring/shading style that makes it look a bit cheap, I think.I think the size and shape of the heads also aren't helping as much. They have really pointy chins and the hair looks HUGE compared to their faces. I do like that they don't have the same though, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom