• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Crystal (new anime) - Character designs and voice cast revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

Hisako Kanemoto voicing Mercury?

One of my favorite seriyuu voicing my favorite anime character ever?
Can you recommend some Hisako Kanemoto performances I should take the time to seek out?
I believe I've only heard her in Children Who Chase Lost Voices (thought she was terrific there, btw).

Zoe

Voices seem totally perfect to me.

Ami x Rei was the OTP of the series (well based on the live action) and they definitely nailed those 2.

Love the new designs. Excited to watch this.

It's Rei and Minako in the manga. Though Rei has to get over herself first :lol

You know the worst thing about the "biweekly" schedule? It's not even really biweekly! Since it's the first and third Saturdays of every month... within this year alone, there will be a 3 week wait after ep4 and ep10, since August and November have 5 Saturdays each! Roflmao. :(
They'll have more time to make sure that each episode is of the highest qua- *breaks out laughing*

Koomaster

I'm not 100% sold on the art, but I don't think it's bad either.
I am usually not a big fan of stills or screen grabs, need to see how it moves.

I will say I'm 100% excited.

Linkark07

Banned
Can you recommend some Hisako Kanemoto performances I should take the time to seek out?
I believe I've only heard her in Children Who Chase Lost Voices (thought she was terrific there, btw).

There is Shinryaku! Ika Musume. In fact, this is the anime that allowed Kanemoto career to take off, de geso.

Kokoro Connect is also another anime she appeared as main character. Suisei no Gargantia too. And I recall she appeared on the last filler arc on Bleach as a main character.

I'm glad they kept it manga-accurate and simple, as opposed to what they did with, say, Gatchaman, and try and turn it all into Persona or something

Katzii

Will it have the original theme song?

It needs it!

Uncertain. Momoiro Clover Z, who are doing the opening theme, did record Moonlight Densetsu, but it's not been established I don't think if this is what they'll go with.

Also, as ecstatic as I am to see all the Mercury love here (best senshi by far), I'm also saddened that her original voice actress will not be coming back.

Somnid

It...looks like Sailor Moon. I can't even fathom calling it much of a style change, it's very similar to the manga but I guess that's just bad fan art or something...

It feels really strange and rather disappointing that one of the most popular animes of all time is getting a seemingly cheap and shoddy new adaptation that won't even air on TV.

But it's Sailor Moon, so I'm super excited.

I kind of like the new designs, except my favorite Jupiter looks kinda off.

Oh god your avatar, now I can't help but picture Slade watching Sailor Moon.

e_i

Akuma no Riddle (Haru). Kotoura-san (title character). Smile Precure (Cure Peace).

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
It...looks like Sailor Moon. I can't even fathom calling it much of a style change, it's very similar to the manga but I guess that's just bad fan art or something...

I can't understand people saying that they hate the style, since it looks much more closer to the manga and not much different then the cartoon. The image quality is of much more quality than the original run too.

Very familiar with light tweeks. I like it. Makes me wish I hung onto all my silly toys when it first hit the States. Ended up passing them on to a friend's little girl when I had to move cross country. I have the entire collection of vending machine cards though. *chuckles*

Mengetsu

When this was announced I knew going in the designs were gonna be the talk of the town when they were showed off but I like it. It's not new and so different that people would resent it yet it retains it's original style even though most feel it's too safe. I've only seen some of the episodes as a kid back in the day and never read the manga so my opinion may be invalid to most here but I'm glad I can watch it fully now and following the manga's story.

Beth Cyra

It's Rei and Minako in the manga. Though Rei has to get over herself first :lol

Nah, in the end it's Usagi/Harem given how they all end completely willing to do and throw everything away for her.

Seriously though, I never got the whole Re/Minako thing in the Manga. Live Action? Easily yes.

Anime though, Rei takes over so many roles and has so many moments with Usagi that Rei's easiest pairing is Usa even with the new added male characters.

Cereza

Who approved these designs? I'd like to smash their face into the original manga and demand that they go back to the studio and redo them!

e_i

I just looked up Kotono's birthday...1967. She's nine and a half years older than me, which makes her 46 years old! I thought she was around my age.

Prax

I just figured out this is the same person who probably designs Code Geass.
NO WONDER.
SO UGLY DAMMIT I AM SO MAD. LOOK AT THOSE STUPID (Clampy) PROPORTIONS AND UGLY HANDS.
And just overall BARF. (I understand this person can technically draw, I just hate the style. A lot.)

f8a8e6c32da7080b782029a03134be52_by_meibatsu-d7giu4o.jpg

I am not sure I can stomach watching Sailormoon Crystal now if it's more than 23 eps (maybe not even!)
We'll see, but Mamorou and most males will probably look hideous too. I am gonna cry a lot. /hyperbolebutyouknowwhatimean

A-V-B

Not a Sailor Moon fan at all, but I just wanted to come in and say how much I appreciate the retro look this series is going for

awesome

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Prax: Stop making rants based on assumptions. It makes you look bad. You did this in the other SM thread too.

The character designer for SMC isn't a secret, it's Yukie Sako, and reportedly with large input from Naoko Takeuchi. Code Geass was character design done by CLAMP then adapted by Takahiro Kimura. You can also just go on SMC's official website for staff information as well.

JCG

I am not a huge fan of Sailor Moon either way, but it seems like the new anime design work is just trying to be a little more faithful to the original manga's art style than the previous series. Honestly, I'll never understand why some people make such a big deal about unrealistic proportions in cartoons, of all things, especially when anime and manga, by and large, do not accurately reflect any remotely human hairs, bodies, faces, eyes and so on. You need to be fairly capable of adapting to plenty of stylistic abstraction to even get into this sort of stuff.

Of course, I realize certain specific art styles will inevitably be more or less appealing to different people, but it's not the end of the world.

I am not a huge fan of Sailor Moon either way, but it seems like the new anime design work is just trying to be a little more faithful to the original manga's art style than the previous series. Honestly, I'll never understand why some people make such a big deal about unrealistic proportions in cartoons, of all things, especially when anime and manga, by and large, do not accurately reflect any remotely human hairs, bodies, faces, eyes and so on. You need to be fairly capable of adapting to plenty of stylistic abstraction to even get into this sort of stuff.

Of course, I realize certain specific art styles will inevitably be more or less appealing to different people, but it's not the end of the world.
The major benefit of crazy proportions is amusing off-model shots.

Toei is going to deliver the goods, I just know it.

Team Lita (Makoto?) here. All heretics must be Jupiter Thundered to death.

For a shojo, and thinking that they wanted to keep more of the manga art style, I liked the designs, the colors specially. The lighter tones made the visuals really delicate and lovely. The only problem I see is that they look older than the 90's anime artwork / manga, where they were more...girly (in a sense of maturity).

One bad thing of focusing solely on the manga, is that most of the interaction and probably character growth that we only saw on the 90's anime will be lost.

I think that great part of the rant here comes from nostalgia, just chill and wait for the first episodes.

Opening and Transformation

...they used a WEIRD mix of CG and drawings in the transformation ... like the drawn head on a cg body

The transformation was all CG, which was disappointing to be sure, since the OG anime had such a great transformation animation.

I have mixed feelings about this whole thing; the Usagi talking with Luna scene was very nice, but the budget is painfully obvious with this vid :<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom