• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia's highest cleric bans chess. Claims game spreads enmity and hatred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-game-spreads-enmity-and-hatred-a6825426.html

Saudi Arabia’s highest religious cleric has declared chess “haram”, meaning it is forbidden for Muslims, while claiming the game shows “enmity and hatred”.

Sheikh Abdul Aziz bin-Abdullah al-Sheikh, the Grand Mufti, made the proclamation while taking questions during his weekly television show.

“The game of chess is a waste of time and an opportunity to squander money. It causes enmity and hatred between people,” he said, according to a translation by Middle East Eye.

His fatwa does not constitute a ban in Saudi Arabia as it does not carry the force of law, but it was provoking debate in the country today.

Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, Iraq’s supreme Shia religious authority, previously issued a fatwa saying chess is forbidden “in all circumstances”, even if a computer rather than real pieces are used and no bets are placed.

Iran banned chess-playing in public and declared it haram after the Islamic Revolution in 1979 but Ayatollah Khomeni repealed the ban nine years later. The game was also proscribed the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Saudi Arabian clerics have previously issued fatwas attempting to ban all-you-can-eat buffets, Pokemon and the building of snowmen.

Tackling the hard and important issues of our time.

Zomba13

Hw5yG01.png

Sigh.
His statement is creating controversy, there are scholars who is currently challenging his claim.
Good that he doesn't have an authority to implement that given that Saudi Arabia is not a theocracy otherwise you would see
tumblr_lgez37wOQ51qgllp5o1_500.jpg

Duji

You know what actually creates enmity and hatred between people?

Pushing this whole bullshit sectarianist idea by drawing arbitrary lines between people. Sunni, Shia- who gives a fuck? It's why the ME will never see peace; so long as one side hates the other for imaginary reasons.

soqquatto

Saudi Arabian clerics have previously issued fatwas attempting to ban all-you-can-eat buffets, Pokemon and the building of snowmen.

I can imagine that building a snowman in Saudi Arabia can really be an issue.

ElTorro

Wonder what would happen if somebody showed him Mario Kart and the Blue Shell.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What's the end goal here? To make everyone fucking miserable?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well, yeah. Anything that's a waste of time is haram apparently. I assume that includes fun.

I just don't get what anyone gains by banning all this shit.

ElTorro

I just don't get what anyone gains by banning all this shit.

I don't think that they really care about real-world consequences. It's more like advanced obsessive fan-fiction, like "Can Superman bend a bar of Adamantium?" Only that the subject matter here is religious law instead of comics. They are probably simply happy when they can deduce yet another bullshit rule from the official canon.

Alx

Tell me about a sore loser... If you suck at the game, don't ruin it for everybody else !

Waste of time and an opportunity to squander money that causes enmity and hatred between people? Sounds like a description of religion.

Despera

Banned
Most people nowadays don't give a rat's ass about these petty fatwas though. But back in the day, even a little over a decade ago, things were different.

I remember back when I was in school when they issued the fatwa banning Pokemon (everything from the cartoons to the card games), and these were the reasons:

1- Pokemon was distracting the youth from their daily prayers and wasting their time in useless activity.

2- It promoted the theory of evolution, which is a zionist scheme.

3- Pokemon names had blasphemous meanings when translated. Examples:

Pikachu meant "Become a jew"
Pokemon meant "I'm a jew"
Charmander meant "Allah is weak"

Anyone with a basic knowledge of the English language would laugh at these, but since the majority lacked that basic knowledge Pokemon quickly faded into oblivion. The cartoon stopped airing on almost all Arabic channels, the Pokemon gift items and toys were scrapped and discontinued, teachers conducted regular searches to confiscate Pokemon items in students' posession and anyone seen with anything related to Pokemon would be looked down upon.

The fatwa banning Pokemon was never recognized as an official decree however, but the intial statement was enough to scare off the public.

Those were dark times, but definitely not the darkest or the most absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom