• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia's highest cleric bans chess. Claims game spreads enmity and hatred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i can see a reasonable argument to be made for this ban. the game is clearly racist since the whites always go first (to see how this can be true just read the heart is a lonely hunter), and it also promotes inequity when the pawns are sent to their meaningless deaths while the royalty lounges at the back of the board.

KainXVIII

It really does

chess.gif

1409794686_1386210940_185fg4c_5if2p091.gif

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Can someone please invent an alternative energy source that makes oil obsolete? Then these guys can finally drain financially dry and go back to full middle age living - which is apparently what they want to anyway.

Is music still banned in Iran?
There are lots of music albums and concerts every month, but some foreign music is forbidden here. specially metal/hip hop/every female singer!
and TV can't show musical instruments! lol I don't know why showing musical instruments is forbidden on TV, but they are every where. from stores to street artists and concerts and ...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
There are lots of music albums and concerts every month, but some foreign music is forbidden here. specially metal/hip hop/every female singer!
and TV can't show musical instruments! lol I don't know why showing musical instruments is forbidden on TV, but they are every where. from stores to street artists and concerts and ...
So you guys can't listen to half of Fleetwood Mac's discography? Man, that sucks :(

M3d10n

So, his criteria for declaring something haram is:

- Doesn't have to do with worshiping God.
- Doesn't have to do with keeping you alive in order to worship God
- Doesn't have to do with making more people to worship God.

Did I miss something?

theosi

Good.

Wouldn't want to risk breeding enmity and hatred in a country that until now, has never experienced such things.

jchap

Iran has some of the best junior players in the world right now

also a good point by mr. Kasparov

chessban07-kasparov.jpg

PillarEN

He's not wrong about the inciting hate bit. Nothing worse than thinking you got things set up nicely and then in a handful of turns it all goes down the drain after spending almost an hour of playing.

It does.

I always get my ass handed to me and it has enraged me since middle school. I am glad SA has realized the evils of chess. Next is Risk.

HylianTom

Banned
So instead of going to the park for a game, I guess fun seekers better go back to their bars, their temples.. their massage parlors..

tumblr_mc9fvpFG3M1qdw9t7o5_r1_250.gif

(I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine..)

Ahasverus

Why can't we have a revolutionary good religious leader? Like a different kind of crazy that just does it all right. More or less a new Jesus.

you know what, the sad thing is, other then "football" and video games we guys don't really have a lot things to do for fun here, almost all parks and attractions are "family only", yes they are "guys only" areas but they more like a hung out and watch sports ;/

So you guys can't listen to half of Fleetwood Mac's discography? Man, that sucks :(
There aren't original albums from foreign bands in stores, but we can easily download them for free. I know we shouldn't do this, but we haven't other ways to listening to them.
Every small and big band and singer have lots of fans here. from Adele and Katy Perry to Megadeth and Pink Floyd! for example lots of Rock/Metal bands like Metallica are called satanic (!) things here, but they have hundreds of thousands fans that love them.

joe2187

Banned
What's the story behind this gif?

Link to the video?

Dude was saying

"Women in foriegn countries dont care about being raped by the roadside, this is a risk of having women drive"

Cue laughter.

"There is a solution however!"

what is the solution?

"Import foreign female chauffeurs for our women"

cue laughter

manfestival

It would be better if he just banned pokemon because it encourages slavery but chess? come on man what a ridiculous claim hes making right there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom