• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School Told to Call Kids ‘Purple Penguins’ Because ‘Boys and Girls’ Is Not Inclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
World ends, etc.

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...penguins-because-boys-and-girls-not-inclusive
A Nebraska school district has instructed its teachers to stop referring to students by “gendered expressions” such as “boys and girls,” and use “gender inclusive” ones such as “purple penguins” instead.

“Don’t use phrases such as ‘boys and girls,’ ‘you guys,’ ‘ladies and gentlemen,’ and similarly gendered expressions to get kids’ attention,” instructs a training document given to middle-school teachers at the Lincoln Public Schools.

“Create classroom names and then ask all of the ‘purple penguins’ to meet on the rug,” it advises.

The document also warns against asking students to “line up as boys or girls,” and suggests asking them to line up by whether they prefer “skateboards or bikes/milk or juice/dogs or cats/summer or winter/talking or listening.”

“Always ask yourself . . . ‘Will this configuration create a gendered space?’” the document says.

The instructions were part of a list called “12 steps on the way to gender inclusiveness” developed by Gender Spectrum, an organization that “provides education, training and support to help create a gender sensitive and inclusive environment for children of all ages.”

Other items on the list include asking all students about their preferred pronouns and decorating the classroom with “all genders welcome” door hangers.

If teachers still find it “necessary” to mention that genders exist at all, the document states, they must list them as “boy, girl, both or neither.”

Furthermore, it instructs teachers to interfere and interrupt if they ever hear a student talking about gender in terms of “boys and girls” so the student can learn that this is wrong.

“Point out and inquire when you hear others referencing gender in a binary manner,” it states. “Ask things like . . . ‘What makes you say that? I think of it a little differently.’ Provide counter-narratives that challenge students to think more expansively about their notions of gender.”

The teachers were also given a handout created by the Center for Gender Sanity, which explains to them that “Gender identity . . . can’t be observed or measured, only reported by the individual,” and an infographic called “The Genderbred Person,” which was produced by www.ItsPronouncedMetroSexual.com.

Despite controversy, Lincoln Superintendent Steve Joel has declared that he is “happy” and “pleased” with the training documents.

“We don’t get involved with politics,” he told KLIN Radio’s Drive Time Lincoln radio show.

“We don’t get involved with gender preferences. We’re educating all kids . . . and we can’t be judgmental,” he said.

Said document: http://watchdog.wpengine.netdna-cdn...014/10/Gender-inclusive-training-handouts.pdf

What's that? You'd like some selected NRO comments? Well, of course I'd be happy to do that for you:
huonokiertotähti • 10 hours ago
"...can't be judgmental..."? Where is this dope's reason? These are children. They are, boys and girls that will grow into men and women, unless, of course, the Left has its way. I used to worry we were becoming Sodom and Gomorrah; we were. Now we are. How easily people are suckered by the abuse of words like tolerance, equality, and preferences. There are no real variances on sexual orientation. There are males and females and anything else is perversion, corruption, and psychological illness. Anyone who cares about humanity and decency must do everything possible to prevent further moral decay in our civilization and undo the evil that has been wrought. This program is clearly designed to weaken traditional values and views on morality, gender, and sexual behavior by corrupting the thought process and pattern of the young with corrupt references to and definitions of tolerance, equality, and preferences. God save the children!
Abe2 • 6 hours ago
Girls and boys - what we have here is a war of ideas. A group of demented individuals in the Middle East want to drag us back to the stone ages while a group of over educated and self absorbed lunatics in the middle of America want us to progress to their world of make believe. Hopefully, we will eventually settle somewhere in the middle. I immigrated to the US years ago from a very poor country - any two legged thing living in America who thinks he or she has it so bad, that person needs to go out and travel a bit. Never mind human beings, pets in America have it so much better than people in many other countries.
Clivus Multrum • 8 hours ago
Whether it be the environment, sexual behavior, human gestation, interaction between the sexes, or the rights endowed by our creator, the left is in a constant battle against the forces of nature.

And just like Ebola, there's no cure for acute progressivism because they are not amenable to change and are generally uneducable.
Clivus Multrum • 8 hours ago
Yes, and lately the sexually confused and undereducated among us have been used as attack dogs by the left. Easily agitated and trained to bark at whatever their masters tell them to in hopes the rest of us will throw them a few bones to shut them the hell up - hence legal dope smoking, homosexual marriage and increasing confiscatory taxation to placate the pack.
Jason Feagans • 8 hours ago
Little Jimmy, early in the morning he wet his pants because the teacher didn't let him go to the restroom during a math test. The nurse again hands him panties and a skirt because to hell with gender anything. Jimmy has learned from the last time this has happened. He's also, being a straight male, is curious about girls. During the assigned pee break, Jimmy, wearing panties and skirt, walks into the girls room telling the teacher that "Today, I feel like being a girl." The teacher smiles because she can write this down in a report and get her liberal master's approval. "This might even get me a pay raise or even a promotion!"

Little Jessica is in the restroom, on the toilet as Jimmy pokes his head under the stall to see all that he can see. Another student, little Sarah, complains that Jimmy is in the girls room. Sarah is sent home with a letter to her parents because she dared to suggest that there is a girls restroom and a boys restroom (even though there is a sign explaining it), and that she was mean to a transgender. Jimmy is not punished because he explains that he wanted to see how to use the restroom as a girl. However, Jessica is punished because she was mean to a transgender.

benjipwns

Banned
Sounds great! The gender binary is bullshit.
image.php

wondermega

There are no more boys and girls. Everyone is now a purple idiot.

This does not bode well for the future. Not a shred.

I do not know what to make of this...the weird exclusion policies of using gendered language which is innate to the culture we live in with "purple penguins" to whatever the fuck those people in the comment excerpts were talking about.

FUME5

And soon we won't be able to refer to people as humans (humans as people?) without outrage from the otherkin crowd.

I am going to be rude and say that Boy and Girl are strictly biological terms. More accurately every single multi-cellular organism has male and female dichotomy and no amount of bitching is going to change that.
You can either be a boy or a girl and there is no in-between.

If you look like a boy I will call you a boy, if you look like a girl I will call you a girl
So will everyone else and it's irrelevant that the screwed up wiring brain tells you otherwise and you identify as the other gender.
That's why it's called gender identity disorder. Our society is a harsh mistress.

"Alright, I want the purple penguins on the left, and the green dragons on the right."

"What's that? Oh, let me clarify: if you have a cock, you're a purple penguin."

GorillaJu

The purple penguins thing I don't really get the context for but the other stuff is all really good. I often (in high school) group my students based on commonly split preferences with no gender relation, like "if you prefer Takenoko no Sato, you're in group A, if you like Kinoko no Yama, you're in group B". It's a good way to get them mixed because they self segregate too much if you don't.

I am going to be rude and say that Boy and Girl are strictly biological terms. More accurately every single multi-cellular organism has male and female dichotomy and no amount about bitching is going to change that. You can either be a boy or a girl and there is no in-between.

If you look like a boy I will call you a boy, if you look like a girl I will call you a girl
So will everyone else and it's irrelevant that the screwed up wiring brain tells you otherwise and you identify as the other gender. That's why it's called gender identity disorder
Earthworms are hermaphroditic. Just sayin'.

Ban Puncher

And they want the 'purple penguins' to meet on 'the rug'.

This isn't a training document, it's a Penthouse Forum letter.

The purple penguins thing I don't really get the context for but the other stuff is all really good. I often (in high school) group my students based on commonly split preferences with no gender relation, like "if you prefer Takenoko no Sato, you're in group A, if you like Kinoko no Yama, you're in group B". It's a good way to get them mixed because they self segregate too much if you don't.

I don't know what the bolded means, but for my school back in the 90s in would probably have been "if you prefer Oasis go in group A, if you prefer Blur go in group B". Then we'd have a fight.

I am going to be rude and say that Boy and Girl are strictly biological terms. More accurately every single multi-cellular organism has male and female dichotomy and no amount of bitching is going to change that.

So will everyone else and it's irrelevant that the screwed up wiring brain tells you otherwise and you identify as the other gender.
That's why it's called gender identity disorder. Our society is a harsh mistress.

do you know how wrong you are. do you even understand.

Valhelm

contribute something

Purple Penguins is probably the name for the individual class. When I was in preschool my group was called "clownfish", and other kids were "Seahorses" or "puffins".

Earthworms are hermaphroditic. Just sayin'.

I'd imagine there are other ways to determine gender besides your equipment but I get your point. Sex is biological, gender is psychological. The problem is that a female can freely dress and engage in typically masculine behavior's without raising eyebrow's but a male accepting his true female nature and even dressing like one tends to suffer in society. That's why we need more tolerance, that's why we need to stop the "It's a trap!" jokes

do you know how wrong you are. do you even understand.

Please Elaborate.

"alright, you little shits, everyone form a line"

Let's go military. Alright jarheads, single file! Move it you maggots!
Oooh, or call them goons like somethingawful goons.

In my native language, Tagalog, the male and female pronouns exist, but when referring to a singular person, the pronouns used are gender neutral. I think this speaks more to the limitation of American English more than anything.

Valhelm

contribute something

Please don't hold strong opinions on issues you don't at all understand.

The problem is that a female can freely dress and engage in typically masculine behavior's without raising eyebrow's but a male accepting his true female nature and even dressing like one tends to suffer in society. That's why we need more tolerance, that's why we need to stop the "It's a trap!" jokes

That's an absolutely different issue. Men totally deserve to be able to express their gender as freely as women can (in terms of dress, emotions, and "feminine" activities), but that has no relation at all to transgenderism.

kirblar

Teaching inclusivity/acceptance/tolerance is great.

This, however, is essentially just trying to stick the kids' heads in the sand.

HGStormy

Banned

Errr. This seems like an incredibly insensitive opinion. There are asexual animals you know. If someone identifies as something, is it so hard to respect that? I don't see how it's any different from respecting someone's religion or dietary choices.
You're saying society is harsh while repeating the same opinion that makes society seem harsh in the first place. I don't get it.

I'd imagine there are other ways to determine gender besides your equipment but I get your point. Sex is biological, gender is psychological. The problem is that a female can freely dress and engage in typically masculine behavior's without raising eyebrow's but a male accepting his true female nature and even dressing like one tends to suffer in society. That's why we need more tolerance, that's why we need to stop the "It's a trap!"
Oh, I see what you mean. I still think it's better to keep things neutral when possible.

GorillaJu

I don't know what the bolded means, but for my school back in the 90s in would probably have been "if you prefer Oasis go in group A, if you prefer Blur go in group B". Then we'd have a fight.

They're two types of chocolate cookies. It's like Coke vs Pepsi in Japan.

Richie

What about the school's bathrooms?

heyo guess what?? there's a thing called gender neutral bathrooms! my college has them and there are no issues! safe spaces for everyone!

Huh, really? Haven't seen much of those here in Mexico (except for places where they only have one bathroom, but then that's one person at the time)

SmokyDave

'Purple Penguins' makes me think someone on staff thought it was a stupid idea and got their sabotage on.

Besides, who says purple penguins don't view gender as binary? It's an unfair assumption.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This is infuriating. Purple Penguin? Penguins aren't purple. Get it right!

Seriously though, if my school would have called us "purple penguins" I probably would have hated them even more. I'm not a god damn purple penguin, come up with something better than that!

I don't know why purple penguins anger me so much....

IHaveIce

Banned
Or you say children/kids?

Or is that also insensitive because maybe some of the kids identify themselves as an eightyyear old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom