• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School Told to Call Kids ‘Purple Penguins’ Because ‘Boys and Girls’ Is Not Inclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to be rude and say that Boy and Girl are strictly biological terms. More accurately every single multi-cellular organism has male and female dichotomy and no amount of bitching is going to change that.
You can either be a boy or a girl and there is no in-between.

If you look like a boy I will call you a boy, if you look like a girl I will call you a girl
So will everyone else and it's irrelevant that the screwed up wiring brain tells you otherwise and you identify as the other gender.
That's why it's called gender identity disorder. Our society is a harsh mistress.

Do you know what happens when we force people into genders?

This.

DefhZ12l.png

Every time I see this image I seethe with anger. This is what we don't want to happen.

So moves towards inclusiveness are welcomed. I'm not sure I would handle it by calling everyone "Purple Penguins," but I can't be too upset at the sentiment. At least they're trying.

heyo guess what?? there's a thing called gender neutral bathrooms! my college has them and there are no issues! safe spaces for everyone!

Oh hey, cool, a college with all adults! Sounds like everyone might be mature enough to make that work.

Do you think it's a good idea with middle school kids?
If people have experience with this working then I'd say go for it. But I remember my middle school and I really have my doubts as to how safe that would be at that point in time.

SmokyDave

How do gender neutral restrooms work? Is it all stalls? Also, are those restrooms actually used as intended? Serious question.
We've got 'em at work. They're all stalls. Realistically though, it's just a male or female bathroom as the women in the office don't like to be in there at the same time as the men.

Oh hey, cool, a college with all adults! Sounds like everyone might be mature enough to make that work.

If people have experience with this working then I'd say go for it. But I remember my middle school and I really have my doubts as to how safe that would be at that point in time.

I think it could work. Having kids grow up in a more gender neutral environment would, I think, cause them to think more about their identities and become more empathetic.

This seems manipulative instead of inclusive.

How about lessons about self acceptance instead of coded terminology?
Totally agree with this. The sentiment is nice, but I'd argue it's simply trying to avoid the topic coming up rather than creating an actual dialogue or venue for the children to learn.

Is this a joke article ? I'm seriously asking... since english isn't my primary language, I can't tell irony or not.

If this is serious... what about you know... calling them "kids" ?

aku:jiki

They should just call all of the children "it" and "humans."

"Joseph wasn't feeling well, so it went home early today."

"Come inside from recess, humans!"

"Human! Stop scribbling on the wall!"
What about people who identify as martians? I propose "citizen". That way we can weed out people citizens who identify as non-citizens and send them to the isocubes before they can stir up any trouble.

freddy

Banned
Is this a joke article ? I'm seriously asking... since english isn't my primary language, I can't tell irony or not.

If this is serious... what about you know... calling them "kids" ?

It serious but this wouldn't be out of place on The Onion.

OuterLimits

This could get confusing when your trying to sign up for a sports team.

Sign here if you are interested in Purple Penquins Soccer.

Excuse me is this for boys or girls soccer?

They should just call all of the children "it" and "humans."

"Joseph wasn't feeling well, so it went home early today."

"Come inside from recess, humans!"

"Human! Stop scribbling on the wall!"

You use "They" as a pronoun to describe someone who doesn't identify with male/female pronouns. It's not very hard.

wsippel

Banned

This.

DefhZ12l.png

Every time I see this image I seethe with anger. This is what we don't want to happen.

So moves towards inclusiveness are welcomed. I'm not sure I would handle it by calling everyone "Purple Penguins," but I can't be too upset at the sentiment. At least they're trying.
I'm with you, but changing (bastardizing) the language or ignoring basic biology is not going to change the issue depicted in that image. It's not like the school is switching to a single penguin toilet. That would be inclusive. Not calling the kids "boys and girls" changes nothing.

In my experience, it isn't so much the safety being the issue as it is the floors being fucking covered in piss, from like kindergarten to 12th grade.

Totally agree with this. The sentiment is nice, but I'd argue it's simply trying to avoid the topic coming up rather than creating an actual dialogue or venue for the children to learn.
I think the intentions are great, but why dance around it?

I sure as hell wish when I was a kid that my school had more direct lessons on acceptance and diversity as opposed to nebulous "let's all be friends, NO SPECIFICS" type messages.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Not quite sure how to articulate my feelings about this. I don't agree with it, I think it could create issues for the children going forward into the real world where they are not treated with kid gloves.

Life isn't always equal, people are different. 99.99999% of the world is in the gender binary, I don't think we should be antagonising reactionary right-wingers just for the sake of some utopian gender equality.

I'm with you, but changing (bastardizing) the language or ignoring basic biology is not going to change the issue depicted in that image. It's not like the school is switching to a single penguin toilet. That would be inclusive. Not calling the kids "boys and girls" changes nothing.

I agree...it really doesn't, but at least it tells us they're thinking about the issue. Better than schools that don't even slightly touch upon it...and you get kids like that image who struggle every day.

So as I said, I can't get all that upset about it. I'd rather "Purple Penguins" than "Boys and Girls," but I'd MUCH rather have "Kids" or "Children" instead.

They're just taking it to bizarre, unnecessary extremes, when they should be putting more a lot more effort in fostering inclusiveness.

This.

DefhZ12l.png

You understand why the child would get "yelled at" for entering the girl's bathroom right? Why doesn't a girl get yelled at for entering the boy's bathroom like ever? Because girls are innocent and all boys are perv's as goes the schoolyard perception of society.

Gender dichotomy doesn't exist for shits and giggles though, it's also used as an identifier for a variety of documents and even affects things like tax laws. Like how in India, women overall pay lower taxes than men. We need the boy/girl identifiers and can't adopt a purple penguin based system at this stage. However, I would welcome gender neutral bathrooms. Gender neutral showers even but there are some good reasons these two aren't exactly common nowadays. And even with gender neutral bathrooms, little Jimmy or Jane up there has a chance of getting beaten up anyways. It's not like the bathrooms were designated "anarchy zones" or anything.

The solution is something you have to work on from day 1 at least with kids.
Because kids will make fun of the smallest change or difference from the norm

Exactly. Nothing inclussive or inherently educational with regards to developing actual tollerance and acceptence within ones character. Just more overt collectivism which does nothing more than fabricate barriers which block progress towards overcoming the true salient issues. A sea of conformity, disguised as individuality. Disgusting.

Agreed. We should embrace the differences as opposed to trying to make everyone the same.

This seems manipulative instead of inclusive.

How about lessons about self acceptance instead of coded terminology?
Exactly. Nothing inclussive or inherently educational with regards to developing actual tollerance and acceptence within ones character. Just more overt collectivism which does nothing more than fabricate barriers which block progress towards overcoming the true salient issues. A sea of conformity, disguised as individuality. Disgusting.

Y'all are trying to be funny, but imagine if you never felt comfortable in your skin your whole life, only to additionally have people slur at you and abuse you because you don't fall into what their definition of gender is. Safe/positive gender inclusiveness is only positive. If you don't think it is you probably have some internalized issues to work out.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it ain't a swan.

Sorry, I see a dude in jeans a t-shirt rockin' a beard, I'm gonna assume it's a guy.

Yes. Even Pavel is still a guy.

Serious: am I supposed to refer to everyone in gender neutral language until they can 'come out' as whatever gender they are? The Trans population is incredibly small, are 700,000 as of 2011. If you want me to refer to you as a 'she', ask me to, but don't expect us to magically figure it out.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it ain't a swan.

Sorry, I see a dude in jeans a t-shirt rockin' a beard, I'm gonna assume it's a guy.

Yes. Even Pavel is still a guy.

Serious: am I supposed to refer to everyone in gender neutral language until they can 'come out' as whatever gender they are? The Trans population is incredibly small, are 700,000 as of 2011. If you want me to refer to you as a 'she', ask me to, but don't expect us to magically figure it out.

Basically what I was saying. And again, I assume people would choose one or the other but here it sounds like gender is like choosing what outfit to put on today.
I also think we should raise more tolerance for people who genuinely suffer from a gender identity disorder than those who choose to identify as the opposite gender just because

But by using that word, you're implying that this person has a split personality disorder which is insensetive to people who actually do suffer from split personality. Use "citizen"!

But citizen implies they belong to the country and not a tourist or on work/student visa

wsippel

Banned
I agree...it really doesn't, but at least it tells us they're thinking about the issue. Better than schools that don't even slightly touch upon it...and you get kids like that image who struggle every day.

So as I said, I can't get all that upset about it. I'd rather "Purple Penguins" than "Boys and Girls," but I'd MUCH rather have "Kids" or "Children" instead.

They're just taking it to bizarre, unnecessary extremes, when they should be putting more a lot more effort in fostering inclusiveness.
I just think essentially banning words, especially words that are not insults, is Orwellian. Doesn't matter if it's government issued or for the sake of overeager PC people, it's shit either way. "Boys and girls" isn't inclusive, so it has to be something like "purple penguins". But not "white wombats", because that would be racist. Makes my head hurt.

I mean, we simply can't be all-inclusive. What about people who don't identify as human? What if a kid doesn't identify as a child? It never ends.

JohnDoe

Banned
I am going to be rude and say that Boy and Girl are strictly biological terms. More accurately every single multi-cellular organism has male and female dichotomy and no amount of bitching is going to change that.
You can either be a boy or a girl and there is no in-between.

If you look like a boy I will call you a boy, if you look like a girl I will call you a girl
So will everyone else and it's irrelevant that the screwed up wiring brain tells you otherwise and you identify as the other gender.
That's why it's called gender identity disorder. Our society is a harsh mistress.
Spew offensive ignorance while rocking a brony avatar brehs.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
We need to start over. Get our priorities straight.

Holy fuck, humanity.

Is there a cure for humanity yet? Emotions are offensive and being born is sexist.

Also, reproducing is very sexist and it should not happen anymore.

The "you guys" example seems a bit odd. If they'd said "guys and girls", I'd understand, but surely simply saying "you guys" implies that it's referring to everyone and not just one gender?

Anyway, I went to an all boys school so saying "you fucking cuntholes" was pretty common, which was also mostly gender neutral.

Spew offensive ignorance while rocking a brony avatar brehs.

Offensive sure, but where is the ignorance?
I am walking down the street and I see a another human wearing shirt and jeans with a five o'clock shadow. I would say, "Hey man! What time is it?" The guy goes, "How dare you! I am a pre-op Trans mister! I'm no man!" Then the lady (or man?) walks away.

What did I do wrong? How am I supposed to know the person was a pre-op?

You can't make the dichotomy go away by pretending it doesn't exist.
I am tolerant of most things but gender being a malleable thing is not something I believe in
I understand that biological sex and gender are two different things though. But you can choose one, not switch them around whenever you please

aly

I'm not even sure if it works for adults. We have a gender neutral bathroom at work that has both stalls and urinals, but it might as well be the men's room for the amount of women who use it. Most of them just wait to use the single stall bathroom. The other bathroom will be empty or have one or two guys and there will be a line of women outside the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom