• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second ARMS Invitational Tournament April 29-30 in Japan [Streaming Now]

Speely

Banned
I hope someone puts together a compilation of these fights. This is the most interesting the game has looked since its reveal imo, and it looked interesting immediately.

Speely

Banned
The whole session seemed to be based entirely on grabs lol

I guess that's to be expected when newer players are involved since blocking is kind of a reflexive action when being attacked in unfamiliar ways.

Edit: icon match!

Kicko

I hope someone puts together a compilation of these fights. This is the most interesting the game has looked since its reveal imo, and it looked interesting immediately.

It definitely makes for good theater, which is more than I can say for most eSports televised events.

The game itself looks a blast to play, and it has a considerable amount of depth.

Speely

Banned
All the grabbing makes the game a little unexciting. Doesn't help there is only one grab animation.

Lots more people are blocking a lot right now because they don't really know the movesets. This will make grabbing a good go-to offensive action against new players. Once this game is out in the wild, I think we will see a very different meta, perhaps based upon data from this very event.

Speely

Banned
Man that last match showed how quickly a non-pro can adapt and just read their opponent.

ARMS will have legs.

Edit: Also, Min Min looks fun as fuck to play

lol spamming grab to the detriment of 75% of your health. Jeeeeeez

Yeah, grabbing especially at long distance is a large risk because it's a predictable line, you use both your arms and using a parry or timing a single punch can knock out some time easily which leaves you vulnerable.

The game is very RPS heavy but it's very clear that the unique spacing game of the ARMS is the main draw that adds depth here in addition to the stage design which is important to consider but not outlandish like Smash's stages. I don't think the game is as deep as say SF5, but a unique twist on a spacing game is a pretty special thing to claim for a fighting game.

I'm guessing that we're seeing a lot of grabbing now because it's easier to aim (hands move together) with a large grab area, rather than aiming two separate smaller punches. Once people get better at the game, two well connecting punches would appear to be the better option (assuming each punch does around 80 a pop).

trixx

So many grabs, seems to do a lot. All in all this is kinda hard to watch, like marvel. I think cause of split screen

Also not best 2 of 3? Comeon

Roo

They definitely need to fix the grabs damage.
Seems like you can KO your opponent by doing nothing but 4-5 grabs

Top Bottom