• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second ARMS Invitational Tournament April 29-30 in Japan [Streaming Now]

Speely

Banned
Well in general mobility is a key aspect of fighters. It's what separates the Guilty Gears and Mahvels from the Street Fighters and Mortal Kombats.

True. It's just a bit different seeing it from this perspective given all the variables and 3rd-person spacing elements.

Vashzaron

Are some people just mashing hardcore? Can't help but notice -prohibited in the top left of the screen sometimes (mostly covered by webcam) which I can only assume that pausing or something is set prohibited and people keep hitting that button.

SirShandy

seems like theres quite a bit of auto aim with the grabs. Like command grab, they gotta nerf

The thing is, you can knock down a grab with a punch. If you're watching your opponent closely it should be easy to knock down grabs, especially if you are farther away.

Name of chick who's presenting? You know, for research purposes...
She's definitely a cutie :3

EDIT::
Yuka Kuramochi/Kuramoti here is her twitter for your research

ezgif.com-resize.gif

There's a way to counter these grabs, right?

Any punch that hits the grabbing hands will break the attempt. Grabs are working very well right now because we're not used to the timing. The idea is to use one punch to break the grab and then use the other punch to punish.

Nintendo is focusing intensely on creating a clear power weakness chain with "Block > Punch > Grab > Block".

jwk94

Hah :) I couldn't resist.

Also, yes. A normal punch counters/goes through a grab.

Any punch that hits the grabbing hands will break the attempt. Grabs are working very well right now because we're not used to the timing. The idea is to use one punch to break the grab and then use the other punch to punish.

Nintendo is focusing intensely on creating a clear power weakness chain with "Block > Punch > Grab > Block".

It works as a rock paper scissors system - grab beats shield, shield beats punch, punch beats grab.

Hopefully someone gets a hang of this before the stream is over. I'd like to see some good counters.

Speely

Banned
maybe it needs to come out slower because seems like it's just as fast as a punch, so kind of hard to react(?)

I think the bigger issue is that grabs seem to be more accurate. The speed seems fine, but if they are indeed more accurate, that makes them more dependable, which sort of messes up the RPS dynamic.

maybe it needs to come out slower because seems like it's just as fast as a punch, so kind of hard to react(?)

It is as fast as a punch, but the grabber cannot move during this so if the other player is steady with throwing a smooth flow of punches, the auto-aim will allow the opposing punch to fly directly at the grab attempt. Grabs are landing so much right now because players are throwing out punches as soon as they can while the players that are advancing are doing better at staggering their attacks to create more solid pressure.

trixx

I think the bigger issue is that grabs seem to be more accurate. The speed seems fine, but if they are indeed more accurate, that makes them more dependable, which sort of messes up the RPS dynamic.

yeah that's why it seemed to me like there was some sort of auto aim making it easier to confirm the grab, in addition it comes out just as fast as a punch

It is as fast as a punch, but the grabber cannot move during this so if the other player is steady with throwing a smooth flow of punches, the auto-aim will allow the opposing punch to fly directly at the grab attempt. Grabs are landing so much right now because players are throwing out punches as soon as they can while the players that are advancing are doing better at staggering their attacks to create more solid pressure.
oh ok so patience wins, gotta move out of grab and react?

wildfire

Banned
yeah that's why it seemed to me like there was some sort of auto aim making it easier to confirm the grab, in addition it comes out just as fast as a punch

Grabs are fine.

You can beat two fists with one and follow up with the arm doing damage while the first arm increases the chance a grabber will get their arm disabled.

Top Bottom