• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate healthcare repeal bill fails - Collins, Murkowski, and McCain voted no

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
McCain is a shit, but even he didn't want this on his conscience.

McConnell will go down in history as one of the most despicable partison hacks ever. Putting party before country and the people.
Party? This whole parade of losses has been just as terrifying for Republicans. They've been voting yes to bills with approval ratings in the teens. I don't expect reason or empathy from politicians at my age, but I do expect self-preservation, and this makes little sense on a political level. The base loves it but they were going to crawl through an Indiana Jones dungeon to vote R anyway. The GOP doesn't pander to their base; they get their base to approve of whatever they're doing.

I've always strongly disagreed with GOP policies for the most part, but that changed over the last few years, not because I've been reading Ayn Rand and see the wisdom behind the glorification of selfishness. No, it's because right now the GOP doesn't stand for anything for me to disagree with. The word closest to whatever the hell they're advocating is chaos. Bills and policies everyone hates, from Republicans to Democrats to businesses to voters, barely failing with razor-thin margins? This is Heath Ledger's Joker's Congress.

It's a bit odd that Ryan and McConnell have been doing Trump's bidding. I have no evidence other than a lack of a pattern going any other way, but I'm starting to seriously suspect that they're compromised by foreign interests. Repealing Obamacare only to see it vetoed 60 times was pure theatre, but this is going way too far for partisan theatrics. I have a sneaking suspicion that they're literally on the take to ruin America's global hegemony -- not from Russia, per se, but from China and possibly other trade "partners". Bear in mind Trump was NOT the GOP's hand-picked President-to-be; he advocated things that the GOP and Midwestern base loved to hear, but Republicans were never serious about building a border wall (businesses love exploiting immigrants too much) and in one of those rare moments I agreed with him, he slammed the establishment's "spinelessness" on trade. That had to have terrified them, before he turned out to be a putz, because it's been a bipartisan effort up to this point for Congress to facilitate the offshoring of our economy. It's been kind of a feint to undermine the ACA because to us it's real lives on the line, but to them -- Congress has their own healthcare -- it's just a distraction.
Again, pure speculation, but McConnell hasn't been good for the Republican party either. Far from a power grab, this puts the GOP in serious risk of losing their majorities, and not even their traditional sponsors on Wall Street are thrilled. Outside of McConnell and Ryan and a few others, they seem happy this failed. So who the hell is McConnell working for?

Saw this on deadspin and it sums up my feelings on McCain,

And in fact he was a lousy soldier, graduating at the bottom of his Annapolis class (which means flunking calculus and not turning in work, rather than being a rebel), getting wings he almost certainly didn’t qualify for, and dodging a well deserved grounding because he was Navy royalty. Most men don’t get a chance to wreck a second plane but John McCain was connected enough to ditch a third, killing his copilot and stumbling ass-backwards into his Peter Principle of a career.

He immediately got into hot water taking bribes from a banker, reinvented himself as a campaign finance reform advocate and immediately backed off his one accomplishment in Congress when he ran against W. Karl Rove racebaited his adopted daughter, beat him in SC, and McCain endorsed the ticket like a bitch.

He reinvented himself as a pro-immigration maverick, then disavowed everything he said he stood for to run for ‘08, risking putting a massively unqualified figure next in line for the presidency to marginally improve his chances and ushering in the white resentment hell dimension we live in now

He reinvented himself as an anti-Trump reasonable republican, then voted with him 100%, leaping out of his deathbed to place a crucial vote about an issue he never cared about to earn one more dance in front of the cameras.

Fuck John McCain, and fuck his only two principles of “John McCain is great” and “every war is a good idea”

Tawpgun

How do they think insurance works?

Do they think that when money is taken from their paycheck for insurance, it sits in a little lockbox with their name on it and when they get sick, money is withdrawn from that box?

Fucking simpletons.

To be fair, I think this was almost literally the GOP's healthcare plan. Instead of the ACA you get "health savings accounts". So you or an employer get set one up, and you deposit into it.

So how could you not understand people lashing out? We had one poster who would have lost access to chemo and others who would be left with no healthcare at all. Yet your concerned about how McCain gets treated in a thread, even though he wanted to repeal it all, which effects nothing tangible.

I just said I understood. Half the things I deal with on a daily basis are seeing patients with one horrible disease or another. I have sympathy for them, and sympathy for those who were in the most perilous position leading up to this.

I also have sympathy for McCain (in some small fashion) and his family. Family doesn't ask for someone to have shitty opinions or to die of cancer. One of the last memories I have of my grandfather is hospice about to change his diaper because he was pretty much incapacitated from cancer. The last interaction I ever had with him, or really what was left. Cancer doesn't fucking care.

I can say fuck McCain and his record, and his propensity to hem and haw and ultimately do the right thing only for the worst people. But fuck me if I'm going to ever root for cancer. If you want to know where my line is, that's it.

I don't care about purity anymore. Right now is the time to build alliances on issues. Why? Because everyone isn't going to be on the same page on everything. Start building wins with people once you get used to winning with people, you're more likely to find ways to win on issues that you weren't able to work together on before.

But the current landscape makes that type of thinking nigh impossible.

This doesn't absolve anyone of anything but it's time to build. People know when they ain't shit. So...fuck it

rgPnhXj.jpg

Koomaster

Talking like this doesn't help.
Neither does shaming an entire community for rightfully being angry at McCain.

But no, let's tone police everyone into acting nice no matter what happens. Our screams are too bothersome to passersby. Can't we just die silently instead?

slit

I just said I understood. Half the things I deal with on a daily basis are seeing patients with one horrible disease or another. I have sympathy for them, and sympathy for those who were in the most perilous position leading up to this.

I also have sympathy for McCain (in some small fashion) and his family. Family doesn't ask for someone to have shitty opinions or to die of cancer. One of the last memories I have of my grandfather is hospice about to change his diaper because he was pretty much incapacitated from cancer. The last interaction I ever had with him, or really what was left. Cancer doesn't fucking care.

I can say fuck McCain and his record, and his propensity to hem and haw and ultimately do the right thing only for the worst people. But fuck me if I'm going to ever root for cancer. If you want to know where my line is, that's it.

Well that's fine for you but ultimately meaningless if you would be okay with wishing harm on him in some other fashion. Not to mention again it's people venting from anger. It's doesn't make the cancer more aggressive or change anything about his condition.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
What I'm seeing is that you have 0 points to be made but are trying to shame GAF as a whole for a perfectly valid response to a man willing to hurt millions of Americans.

These are not valid responses:
Shame he didn't die fast enough.

Fuck him and hope he burns in hell.

If only that brain cancer got to you sooner.

I'm hoping he has a massive fucking hemorrhage on the flight. Fuck him.

i hope he dies before he can cast that vote

It's abhorrent.

Kagutaba

Boss★Moogle;244756512 said:

You weren't kidding:

last week he was calling for hearings and a return to the normal order of the senate

now he's getting wheeled in on his deathbed to vote for a mystery death bill

anyone who called for sympathy for mccain can go fuck themselves, the man is a hypocritical bloodthirsty monster and i hope he dies before he can cast that vote

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
McCain could have just stayed at home and had the same effect. He could have put out a statement about why he wouldn't be involved in the vote.

Instead he had to act like Charlie and scream "Wild Card!" and everyone whose lives are in the balance were terrified.

At least if he died we would have been 100% certain he wouldn't resurrect it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
What happens if mccain dies? Does he get replaced by a sucessor or is there a new vote? Or does the governor pick who he wants?

Steel

Banned
McCain could have just stayed at home and had the same effect. He could have put out a statement about why he wouldn't be involved in the vote.

Instead he had to act like Charlie and scream "Wild Card!" and everyone whose lives are in the balance were terrified.

On the other hand, because of the reconciliation vote, they won't be able to pull this stunt for another year.

McCain voted No and Heller voted Yes? Wow, what a shitshow. We dodge a bullet on the back of, what, McCain wanting attention? A last minute attack of conscience? Fear of the rumors about the House auto-passing this?

I don't know what to think, but at least it's over for now.

kess

The silver lining is that everybody's votes are on record, black and white, and that matters more in the long term. People can lose their seats over this.

Guess Who

Banned
Read his explanation. He is tired if bills bring drafted by only one side.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...-he-voted-to-kill-obamacare-skinny-repeal?amp

He's trying to avoid the same mistakes that was made with obamacare

except that

a) mccain has repeatedly been guilty of extremely partisan, down-party-lines votes on this issue and countless others

b) the ACA had plenty of republicans involved in its creation and they - including mccain - voted against it entirely out of petty posturing bullshit

besada

Banned
Let's stay on topic, which is not going over the McCain cancer thread. If you can't do it yourselves, we'll do it for you.

Read his explanation. He is tired if bills bring drafted by only one side.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...-he-voted-to-kill-obamacare-skinny-repeal?amp

He’s trying to avoid the same mistakes that was made with obamacare

This is pretty much how I thought his reasoning was. He wants his legacy to be more about getting the two sides to begin to work again. While he doesn't like the ACA, he wants to do everything he can to get the parties working up legislation again.

theWB27

Still got people more worried about getting their "I told you so" in towards other members whos posts had no bearing on the outcome of this vote than commenting on 3 republicans....ONLY 3 having enough gall to not fuck over millions of Americans for now.

NoName999

A Republican does one decent thing and suddenly he's a hero who should be absolved of his sins.

A Democrat isn't a "pure progressive" or just accidentally burps and suddenly he should be tarred and feathered.

Here's an idea: How about we hold both parties to the same fucking standard. Don't praise McCain for this when it's his fault in the first place and when 50 other people also took a damn stand against the bill long before him.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Still got people more worried about getting their "I told you so" in towards other members whos posts had no bearing on the outcome of this vote than commenting on 3 republicans....ONLY 3 having enough gall to not fuck over millions of Americans for now.

The Republican platform has been about repealing and replacing ACA. People voted Republican. The Republicans are trying to repeal ACA. It's not exactly surprising.

tuxfool

Banned
The Republican platform has been about repealing and replacing ACA. People voted Republican. The Republicans are trying to repeal ACA. It's not exactly surprising.

No. But they are running on the idea that the ACA is bad, and they will give people something better.

At no point in any of their bills did they do so. This act has just been one of pure harm in all sorts of ways, to people, to the economy. Should people be cheering for dipshits that so blithely want to jump off a cliff and take millions of people with them?

And this is not even getting into the procedure with which they approached the problem. There was no discussion, public input into implementation, nothing.

ibyea

Banned

Exactly, which is why it shouldn't surprise you when people who believe these people are trying to kill millions of people express vehement hate against them.

Because to these 'concern citizens', it's a game to them. As long as their team wins or they can feel superior to others, everything's fine.

theWB27

It's not surprising they couldn't get it done without needing the other partie's help? I think it's ultimately a major fail and surprising they couldn't do it in the end. Ya'll still need to move on from that thread.

Because to these 'concern citizens', it's a game to them. As long as their team wins or they can feel superior to others, everything's fine.

I mean really. There were two other republicans who took a good stance.

WinFonda

i think people have to reconcile the fact that

if a person knows something bad is going to fail, and that person votes for it

but also

if that same person knows something bad might succeed, and that person votes against it

those are not equal actions, not equal votes. politics is a shitty, dirty, complicated game

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Exactly, which is why it shouldn't surprise you when people who believe these people are trying to kill millions of people express vehement hate against them.

I'm okay with people being upset and criticising the guy. I don't agree with him myself.

It's not surprising they couldn't get it done without needing the other partie's help? I think it's ultimately a major fail and surprising they couldn't do it in the end.

I agree that it's somewhat surprising they couldn't get it done. I knew they would have trouble but I always sort of anticipated that they would get it through.

jmdajr

Which sucks because I think the average voter never cared about repealing Obamacare. Everything was about not having Hilary in the WhiteHouse.

The GOP keep playing the "this is what ALL our constituents want" card.

I'll be completely honest, I was certain that he was going to vote yes on this given how he typically says one thing and falls right into line.

Part of me wonders if he had made his intentions known, would republicans have tried to disqualify McCain on account of him not having the capacity to understand the bill and vote on it. The surprise vote seems theatrical but it could have also been strategic.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Nah, he still voted yes on BCRA, which was worse. Voting no on this doesn't mean he had a sudden change of heart or that he is any less of a piece of shit.

Arguably the vote for the BCRA was just for optics, either for the benefit of the Trump base or purposefully giving McConnell a false sense of gratification that he will ultimately push the 'skinny' to vote.

Hard to say if his ultimate plan was to condemn his party to an official vote on the record(thus playing the villain to get the final result). But that is a rather risky proposition given Murkowsky could have been a scary unknown herself(not as much a lock as Collins). The dramatics can take multiple perspectives, and McCain isn't going public on it, so we speculate.

Either way, it sucks that half our senate required these sorts of games to be played at all with such unfathomable consequences to lives and money at stake. But ultimately, the fear and frustration we all felt should never be toyed with by our elected representatives again in such a brazen and unethical manner. It's shameful.

Top Bottom