• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter - $100k; already in dev, mid-2015 release, PC only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else get the feel that the post million update is a direct response to the shit that went down with Molyneux in that RPS post?

Not really. They were pretty upfront about only having a limited set of stretch goals, and that they weren't planning on making up any new ones if they beat them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Anyone else get the feel that the post million update is a direct response to the shit that went down with Molyneux in that RPS post?

No. They already had to add a ton of stretch goals due to demand. I think they just wanted to stop adding new things.

It's kind of funny / awesome how the campaign is gaining momentum again in spite of the fact that they've decided not to announce any more stretch goals (a wise decision imho). We're almost at 1'050k. I know I'm repeating myself, but this has definitely been the most professionally managed kickstarter campaign that I've backed so far.

I was hoping for like a 1.2m 'misc', adding little features or missions to help flesh things out. A nice money cushion is probably a good idea though. Very happy we got the epilogue/expansion thing.

The update does mention trying to add in various misc things (that they don't want to quanitfy) that have dropped off their list.

I'm fine with this specific wording to the lack of further stretch goals as it in no way prohibits them pulling some crazy moves unbeknownst to the public until such a time as they tire of gloating among themselves in secret should they actually wind up raising an extreme amount of money beyond the million dollar mark.

If they raise a bit beyond, they'll eventually mention some of the little improvements and additions that was able to get weaved into Hong Kong and the Epilogue.

If things go especially crazy by an increment greater than one or more of their normal stretch goal thresholds, there's no telling. Heh, I wonder how much Compile('s successor outfit) would want for the rights to do an enhanced remake of the Sega-CD game after all these year with all the power of their toolset for Hong Kong since that would probably be the only classic remake legally possible in theory all things considered since there's no chance beyond modders for the Genesis and SNES renditions?

GavinUK86

It's kind of funny / awesome how the campaign is gaining momentum again in spite of the fact that they've decided not to announce any more stretch goals (a wise decision imho). We're almost at 1'050k. I know I'm repeating myself, but this has definitely been the most professionally managed kickstarter campaign that I've backed so far.

Yup. I regretted backing Double Fine's.

Miletius

Happy for 1M, and happy for the completely expected that's all folks past 1M. There's still plenty of incentive for backers to back, but this allows the team breathing room with the budget.

HBS is running a great Kickstarter, and maybe we'll see more of it's kind down the road.

Almighty

Happy for 1M, and happy for the completely expected that's all folks past 1M. There's still plenty of incentive for backers to back, but this allows the team breathing room with the budget.

HBS is running a great Kickstarter, and maybe we'll see more of it's kind down the road.

Probably will if say inXile or Obsidian decide to do another Kickstarter.

Browny

Banned
I'm in on this - upped my backing to $225. Needed those models for the cabinet, seemed silly not to throw in the extra monies to get the back.

mclem

I was hoping for like a 1.2m 'misc', adding little features or missions to help flesh things out. A nice money cushion is probably a good idea though. Very happy we got the epilogue/expansion thing.

That's actually implied in the update:

And now that the Shadows of Hong Kong Mini-Campaign is happening, where will the additional funding go? As we've said before, "No plan survives first contact with the enemy" so we'll put it towards dealing with problems that crop up during production. We'll put it towards our test budget. We'll put it towards pizza and bagels (and healthy stuff) for a team who bust their humps to deliver to the best of their ability. And we'll use it to try and sneak in little stuff that had to fall off our features list (don't ask, we're not telling).

As I've mentioned a few times here, there's a tendency to view a campaign of stretch goals as an itemised list; "This feature costs this much money". That's not untrue, as such, but it's more "With this much money we can improve the game in lots of little ways, many of which may be unnoticeable, and here's a big 'name' feature to act as a figurehead and enticement"

Leckan

Is the writing team good?

Haven't played Dragonfall yet but considering the $25 package but only if it's likely the e-novel will be worth reading.

kiyoaki

Haven't played Dragonfall yet but considering the $25 package but only if it's likely the e-novel will be worth reading.
Dragonfall IMO has some of the best writing in the CRPG genre.
As for the e-novel, it'll be written by Mel Odom. He's one of the few 1990s Shadowrun writers I haven't read, so I can't personally comment on the quality of his work. He seems to be popular with the fans though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Dragonfall is one of the best written RPG's I've played. It's really great stuff.

Lomax

Found out I'm getting a fairly decent tax refund, so I went ahead and backed it. They ran this really well and I was really happy after backing the original Kickstarter. Will be fun to see what comes of it.

Very happy to see such a big funded total here at the end. Hopefully I'll have started/finished Dragonfall by the time Hong Kong releases, people here have got me pretty excited to finally check out that expansion.

Backed! This is only the second game I back since feeling kind of burned by Double Fine but HBS did such a great job on the other two Shadowrun games that I have faith in them doing a good job with this one, too.

RK9039

It has some of the best writing I've seen in games. Nothing is voiced in these games and yet somehow I felt a lot more engaged because the writing was great.

Fjordson

So happy that this has gotten so much funding. Honestly didn't expect it to get near a million when this first launched, let alone over a million. Glad to be wrong, though.

Their writing is excellent. And I can't recommend Dragonfall enough. Such a well-crafted RPG.

not bethesda tier but the dialogue is snappy and the story moves at a decent pace.

618166.gif

SparkTR

I'm fully expecting this to be one of the best RPGs of this generation, provided they step up from Dragonfall similarly to how they stepped up from DMS.

GavinUK86

Both Pillars of Eternity and Witcher 3 are not going to be the best RPG of the generation, not even close.

Oh! I actually read Duckroll's comment wrong. I replied thinking she said "of the year" not generation.

* Note to self... learn to read properly.*

SparkTR

Both Pillars of Eternity and Witcher 3 are not going to be the best RPG of the generation, not even close.

If PoE isn't my RPGOTG I'll be disappointed given it's being developed essentially by the CRPG dream team. It's either that or Larians "RPG to end all RPGs" or whatever they call it. They've been hyping that for a while.

Denton

Well fuck, still haven't played Dragonfall, but decided to back it now that I have seen the thread here again...7 minutes before deadline.
Hopefully I will get around to Dragonfall soon.

just started dragonfall the other day after enjoying returns quite a bit; PC only in the title had me worried but that seems to include OS X so I'm good. OP details look great.

Denton

And what do you think will it be?

For my money, Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity and Cyberpunk 2077 will be the holy trifecta.

Estimated delivery Oct 2015. Yes.

Just realized I'm getting two copies of HK as well as the earlier games with the Operative tier. I may give them away to interested GAFers when the keys come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom