• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter - $100k; already in dev, mid-2015 release, PC only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus_

I completed DMS with a pistol and DF with drones. Both worked fine, drones just veer to be more of a support role, flinging out flash & smoke nades and such, while pistols headshot people for ludicrous amounts of damage.

GavinUK86

Body - 4, Quick - 3, Int - 6, Deck - 4, Esp - 4, Chr 2, Range - 1, Pistol - 1, Dodge -1 and Bio - 1.

Seems alright for now, not sure if I should've put more in pistol. I guess I can bump that later on though.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Pistols are a bad match for the mid-game, though. At least in the DC. They become beasts a bit later than SMGs do, for example. I had a ton of trouble trying to do Glory's personal mission due to how much damage you are forced to output
because of respawning enemies
, so I had to revert to a previous save and
recruit Glory's ex
to get through it.

Once I got more karma into pistols they became godlike very quickly, there's just a point where they seemed like a bad choice for a decker.

Because the creator of the PnP game is heavily involved (unlike the creator of The Witcher, who seems to loathe the popularity of the games), the trailer looks great, the setting is amazing, and even with the obvious flaws, CDPR is still 2-for-2 on making great overall RPG experiences.

How could you not be hyped?

Some people just weren't fond of The Witcher, really.

Like me. Granted, that's more an issue I have with the source material, so maybe Cyberpunk will be better.

Damerman

I have returns and i loved the hell out of it, especially the story. I have no idea why i ignored dragonfall. I bought dragonfall just now... I wish I was there for the backing of this.

kiyoaki

The first digital rewards have just been sent out, so check your mail if you backed this! I'm gonna spend this evening reading the source books (starting with Shadowbeat, which has a beautifully trashy 1990s RPG style cover).

Now that we've locked down BackerKit, we've distributed the first of the digital rewards!! Depending on your pledge level, the following rewards will be found in your BackerKit account.
Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall Soundtracks
Shadowrun 5th Edition Digital Tools Box
Out of Print Sourcebooks - both rewards and add-ons
Shadowrun Returns Key for Steam, GOG or Humble
Shadowrun Dragonfall for Steam, GOG or Humble

cj_iwakura

The first digital rewards have just been sent out, so check your mail if you backed this! I'm gonna spend this evening reading the source books (starting with Shadowbeat, which has a beautifully trashy 1990s RPG style cover).

Didn't get a login email yet, I guess they're getting hammered. (I just get the OSTs, I think.)

JC Sera

I like the Corporate elf
Some of them are superb, but the inconsistent art style bugs me. Also there's an overabundance of certain races/subraces while others are underserved.
Pretty much.
Shadowrun spoils you for choice in comparison to PoE.
If SR was like PoE there would be only 3 troll portraits. And 30 human.

Keikaku

Ah yes, I forgot to post the link to the post which has the backer portraits:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1203155

They're indeed nice. HBS has some very talented people for concept art and portraits.
The artist working on these portraits is a guy I knew from school. He was definitely one of the best artists I've seen and he worked really hard to get where he is now.

I'm sure all of these portraits will be awesome and to this same quality :D

Fjordson

Loving everything they're showing. I think I accidentally deleted that update email about Gaichu or something, 'cause I hadn't seen it until now. His model and animations look great.

The artist working on these portraits is a guy I knew from school. He was definitely one of the best artists I've seen and he worked really hard to get where he is now.

I'm sure all of these portraits will be awesome and to this same quality :D
Seriously?? Wow, that's awesome. He's damn good at what he does.

Shadowrun returns bricked my nexus 7. And I was very close to what I think was the end too !

Oh well. Regardless, I really liked it and the setting for these games is awesome. Hope they continue having success.

Shadowrun aside even, as developers they've had a great story and made a lot of progress. Looking forward to what their future projects are as they get a bigger team and more resources. Would love to see a less focused Shadowrun, too, perhaps a la the Sega Genesis game. Larger open world slum where you build your own team, accept your own runs, and raid the mega-corp HQs of your choosing.

Shadowrun aside even, as developers they've had a great story and made a lot of progress. Looking forward to what their future projects are as they get a bigger team and more resources. Would love to see a less focused Shadowrun, too, perhaps a la the Sega Genesis game. Larger open world slum where you build your own team, accept your own runs, and raid the mega-corp HQs of your choosing.

There's a few campaigns out there that'll let you do that, actually.

hemtae

New update: Rewards Update, Improved Soundtrack Files, and a New Peek Behind the Curtain

We have another Peek Behind the Curtain: Portraits-style for you today but first a couple reward updates...

lRezVxg.jpg

EshykZK.jpg

7rQxbpn.jpg

kiyoaki

New update with some early screenshots and a teaser trailer. Plus a sale on the older games in the series.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong is on track for an important milestone at the end of this month: Feature Complete! That’s when the code for all our new features is working in the game. There will still be a little placeholder art remaining for some of the new interfaces we’ve added, but the underlying code works like it’s supposed to and everything will be in the hands of the artists and the designers after that. For the engineers, it’s all bug fixes, tweaks, and polish for the rest of the project!

On a different front, we’re pretty excited because as of today, Shadowrun: Hong Kong has its very own Steam page, complete with our first set of screenshots and a teaser trailer! Take a look!

When you go to our Steam page, you’ll see that the Deluxe Version of Shadowrun: Hong Kong is now available for pre-order at $19.99. (It’ll go for $29.99 once the game launches). The Deluxe Version comes with the original soundtrack and The Art of Shadowrun: Hong Kong PDF. Tell your friends who missed out on our Kickstarter campaign!

And, for our 3 year anniversary, we’re also offering Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director’s Cut at blowout prices - $2.99 and $4.50!!! This is a great weekend for new people to see what all the fuss has been about.

We’d really appreciate it if you’d help us spread the word. Here’s a supercool banner to pop into your favorite social media feed.

It's good to see the project is coming along well. Plus I'm getting some Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon vibes from the trailer music.

Arulan

I hope it's early Summer as opposed to late Summer...

At this point I personally wouldn't care. I'm still playing Pillars of Eternity, Serpent in the Staglands comes out soon, there are still some RPGs from last year that I haven't had a chance to play, and I'd like to play The Witcher 3 eventually. That said, I can't help but be extremely excited for Hong Kong.

Fjordson

Those are great prices for the first two games. Gonna get at least a few friends to scoop up Dragonfall. Still such a great game.

Also, maybe it's just me but the music in the teaser trailer sounded a lot like the Max Payne theme lol. Thought it was gonna break into that for a sec.

ArjanN

Those are great prices for the first two games. Gonna get at least a few friends to scoop up Dragonfall. Still such a great game.

Also, maybe it's just me but the music in the teaser trailer sounded a lot like the Max Payne theme lol. Thought it was gonna break into that for a sec.

The violin bit, yeah.

And this is an great price for Shadowrun Dragonfall DC for anyone that hasn't played it yet.

Gnawesome. I already own both games, but anything that expands the audience is good in my book :)

Plus, I think that going off those pictures they did update the models for Orcs and Trolls, not just for your companions; excite!

New update just landed. Apparently they should be content complete by early July. New Matrix is in place and everything.

Also you can get the deluxe edition of the game for $19.99 on Steam at the moment if you didn't back it. I can't imagine it'll get any cheaper again before launch.

kiyoaki

The new update gives us a another look at the opening animation. That's part of the storyboard:
animatic_example2.png

Looks like a shootout at a tea house, something with infrared vision and a symbolic(?) dead rat. Given their budget, I'm not expecting too much from the cinematics, but I'm pretty certain I'll love the style & atmosphere. I hope we'll get a release date soon.

It's very heartening to see the consistent level of quality with all of Harebrained's ventures, Shadowrun on down. Really can't wait to sink my teeth into this come September; the quality writing they've done so far is quite exemplary.

Lomax

Yeah, very impressive how fast they're doing this.

They were smart, most of development was done by the announcement, so they didn't have as much potential for delays. Granted, that meant the Kickstarter was basically a glorified preorder, but they were upfront about it.

kiyoaki

The next update with the official release date should come in any day now. They've promised it for July. An August 31 release sounds realistic, I guess.

Lime

I wonder if I should wait with playing this game if they're going to do a Directors Cut with improved features, like what they did with Dragons Fall. I made the mistake to play through DF about two weeks before DC was announced.

cj_iwakura

I wonder if I should wait with playing this game if they're going to do a Directors Cut with improved features, like what they did with Dragons Fall. I made the mistake to play through DF about two weeks before DC was announced.

It's never a mistake, you can appreciate what was added when a DC comes out.

kiyoaki

New update! They promise a release date announcement "next week."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1296409

We’re in the home stretch of development and on-track for release! Stay tuned for more screenshots and a release date announcement next week. I have to say, it’s been amazing watching our art team grow and build off their visual successes in each new Shadowrun game. In addition to a great story and some very exciting game play & feature set improvements, Hong Kong is without a doubt our best-looking Shadowrun yet! I can’t wait for all of you to play it.

The rest of the update is about their new wiki that serves to facilitate the making of user-generated content.

Fjordson

I also think Hong Kong will be better out of the gate than Dragonfall was because they aren't tied to any of the tablet stuff with the design.

Miletius

Turnaround has been absolutely amazing for this game. I feel like it's just yesterday that the KS was announced for Hong Kong.

I could get used to this -- since they already have the base systems in place they can just focus on expanding and creating new modules, less time to wait between releases, and hopefully high quality to boot.

Dresden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom