• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter - $100k; already in dev, mid-2015 release, PC only

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

Still could use OT subtitle suggestions. Also, new backer update says keys should be coming to the BackerKit soon if not already.

Tenebrous

6 days to go, ShadowGAF.

Holy shit, I had no idea!

So I've got 5 days to finish Trails in the Sky, then 5 days to finish Shadowrun: Hong Kong before the Pillars of Eternity expansion lands, and then 6 days to finish that before MGSV?

Sigh. There's not enough time in the day.

Title needs something like drek, chum, wiz in it... maybe a quote from a previous game. Like, what did the coffin managers always say in the Sega game? |OT| A cup of soykaf would be wiz about now. Or, Wanna go for a run, chummers?; Shoot straight, conserve ammo, etc, and never cut a deal with the Triads/never forget your medit; et cetera. Maybe a good quote from Dragonfall or even the pre-release HK material, I'll dig around a bit and see if anything stands out (I thought a good Satellite Reign OT title was directly from its trailer where it said "In a city of rain and neon" or whatever, so maybe the HK previews could offer something, too). Or a quote from an old pnp book... I always liked quoting Hatchetman, Captain Chaos, etc and those >>>>bbs (xx:xx:xx) entries. I'll dig around that and see if I can find anything HK related. Shoot straight, etc is a good safe one too lol but maybe that was the SR Returns title haha I don't remember.

edit // yeah SR R was "Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon." and then DF was 'Choose your enemies carefully' or some such.

cj_iwakura

Title needs something like drek, chum, wiz in it... maybe a quote from a previous game. Like, what did the coffin managers always say in the Sega game? |OT| A cup of soykaf would be wiz about now. Wanna go for a run, chummers? Maybe a good quote from Dragonfall or even the pre-release HK material, I'll dig around a bit and see if anything stands out (I thought a good Satellite Reign OT title was directly from its trailer where it said "In a city of rain and neon" or whatever, so maybe the HK previews could offer something, too). Or a quote from an old pnp book... I always liked quoting Hatchetman, Captain Chaos, etc and those >>>>bbs (xx:xx:xx) entries. I'll dig around that and see if I can find anything HK related. Shoot straight, etc is a good safe one too lol but maybe that was the SR Returns title haha I don't remember.

Returns' was 'Never ever cut a deal with a dragon' and Dragonfall's was 'choose your enemies carefully'.

I'd like something Oriental/HK inspired if at all possible. I like A City of Rain and Neon.

Heh, ironic I picked that title for Returns given how it ended and what came after.

Title needs something like drek, chum, wiz in it... maybe a quote from a previous game. Like, what did the coffin managers always say in the Sega game? |OT| A cup of soykaf would be wiz about now. Wanna go for a run, chummers? Maybe a good quote from Dragonfall or even the pre-release HK material, I'll dig around a bit and see if anything stands out (I thought a good Satellite Reign OT title was directly from its trailer where it said "In a city of rain and neon" or whatever, so maybe the HK previews could offer something, too). Or a quote from an old pnp book... I always liked quoting Hatchetman, Captain Chaos, etc and those >>>>bbs (xx:xx:xx) entries. I'll dig around that and see if I can find anything HK related. Shoot straight, etc is a good safe one too lol but maybe that was the SR Returns title haha I don't remember.

SR: HK: OT: "I hope you all die in a sewer, drek chum, wiz!"

I'd like something Oriental/HK inspired if at all possible. I like A City of Rain and Neon.
That's from a different game, Satellite Reign. Just meant it as an example of maybe the trailers having a good gem in them.

//edit// There's not much to work with though for HK. A few Kickstarter update titles like "MOAR CYBERS" or screenshots captions like "The streets of Heoi, your team&#8217;s base of operations." but not much for slogans. I have much of the pnp manual or campaign books too and not much on Hong Kong; few things about Wuxing Inc megacorp or the red dragon association vs yellow lotus triad, but nothing catchy. I'm skimming through >>>>>bbs<<<<< entries from the cybertechnologies and street sam catalogues to see if there's anything good since there's sometimes little anecdotes from cities other than seattle. my favorite one so far is "there comes a time when you have to stop thinking about adding machine to man, and look at adding man to machine" but it's actually from berlin haha

the game itself is apparently about a thirty year megacorp conspiracy in the making, so I wonder if it's about Wuxing Inc... 2056 is one year before the founding family receives gifts from the dragon dunkelzahn, too. But it's about a half a decade before the triad wars, so I'm thinking maybe less about the red dragon and yellow lotus triads and maybe more about wuxing? not sure any good slogans about their megacorp ;p with china broken up in SR there's not a lot of lore; japanese corp anecdotes or bbs entries are always a lot more dominant in SR lore because of their megacorps renraku and fuchi.

Shadowrun Hong Kong - A conspiracy 30 years in the making
That's from the general shadowrun wiki btw which is separate from the shadowrun wiki that the developers promoted in the kickstarter update. So, I'm not sure where the source is... the other wiki the devs promoted doesn't have that description, which in full is:

"The year is 2056 and Hong Kong is a stable and prosperous port of call in a sea of chaos, warfare, and political turmoil. The Hong Kong Free Enterprise Zone is a land of contradictions - it is one of the most successful centers of business in the Sixth World, and it is home to one of the world's most dangerous sprawl sites. A land of bright lights, gleaming towers, and restless spirits where life is cheap and everything is for sale.

The lure of a quick payday draws you from Seattle into the neon glow of Victoria Harbor... and into a corporate conspiracy nearly thirty years in the making. Dragged into the shadows of Kowloon, you will need to forge new connections and build a solid reputation to survive. And you'll need to do it quickly, because a terrifying threat looms on the horizon - an unstoppable supernatural force that corrupts or devours everything it touches."

but like I said I'm not really sure the source... I can't find the same description anywhere official or even the other promoted wiki. seems awfully descriptive to be made up tho.

(edit // it's just the original kickstarter description ;p obvious place is obvious)

The general sr wiki has a lot of lore on Wuxing Inc btw, too, assuming the game is about them since they're sort of the main hk megacorp. I have the Corporate Download pnp manual too which is basically the megacorp guidebook, and it has like 6-7 pages on wuxing inc too. Reading the wiki may be interesting and mood-setting before diving into the game, too, but I guess it's not really certain yet if it is indeed wuxing inc or maybe different megacorps.

I never would've guessed that the creators of Shadowrun Returns would have me salivating at the thought of playing one of their games the same time as I'm knee-deep in wonderful, GotY-contending RPGs, but here we are. 'Tis a wonderful time, and Harebrained Schemes' ascent has been amazing to experience--they just get it.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong |OT| Mobility only slows us down

I also keep reminding myself that HK was the first one that was designed with only the PC in mind, with no consideration of tablets. Hopefully load times will be a thing of the past for one.

Fjordson

Got my Steam key entered. We're so close!

They also have the soundtrack available to download already. Might grab that and listen to some of it.

kiyoaki

Cool. Listening to the soundtrack right now.

The art book and the backer-exclusive portraits will also be available for download on the 20th.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Oh wow, so I never hit "confirm" on backerkit.com.

And I followed the email link from HBS to backerkit.com so I'm logged in, but I don't have a password and when I retrieve it it says the account doesn't exist.

Okay, I figured it out somehow, that was obtuse.

Hopefully I get my key at some point now, lol.

That soundtrack.

ks5sr1o.gif

SparkTR

I also keep reminding myself that HK was the first one that was designed with only the PC in mind, with no consideration of tablets. Hopefully load times will be a thing of the past for one.

I'm really interested to see how much that impacted game design, I'm expecting big differences.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I CAN'T HOLD ALL THESE SHADOWRUN SOUNDTRACKS!

Does anyone know which of the Dragonfall Director's Cut tracks were exclusively done by Jon Everist?

satire77

Got my Steam key entered. We're so close!

They also have the soundtrack available to download already. Might grab that and listen to some of it.

How can i download the soundtrack? i just bought the game on steam, but can't find a link for the download anywhere.

kiyoaki

The new soundtrack is excellent. A bit more ambient than Dragonfall's, but the dark Sci-Fi style is instantly recognizable. I like that Evarist doesn't go overboard with the "traditional Chinese" sound elements.

The final track, which I can only assume is the final boss or ending theme, is insane. Can't wait to see what scene this is meant to accompany.

What I don't get is why HBS only gives us 128 kbit/s MP3s.

duckroll

If I started Dragonfall today would I have time to finish it?

Shouldn't be a problem. The game can be beaten in a few days if you put in the hours. It helps that the story is actually compelling and engages the player, so you'll want to keep playing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Really digging the portraits on their twitter, though I hope they custom made a suitable amount of asian protraits and brought over all the old ones.

cj_iwakura

Anyone interested in banner contribution? It's not going to be a huge OP or anything(not like we know anything about the plot), but I did want to at least have a brief primer on what went down in Dead Man's Switch and Dragonfall.

duckroll

I'm kinda against there being a summary of DMS and Dragonfall in the OP. The games are stand alone, and people who play HK might not have played those. Instead of summarizing the games (which won't matter to the HK plot), we should encourage those people to try the games out too if they like HK. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom