• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Sigh of relief-TON) FCC tests say: PS3 Cell 3.2GHz, PSU Internal

Mmmkay

FCC document on interference testing for the PS3:
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=704267&native_or_pdf=pdf

PS3 model number: CECHA01 Production Prototype
(Not for sale: This sample is equivalent to mass-produced items)

It lists the CPU clock frequency at 3.2GHz and from this diagram below, indicates an AC power cable connecting to the unit.
ps3dn5.png

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm glad that something like this can be confirmed even though we knew it for months.

Mmmkay

No. There's no info on RSX.

I'd probably put it down to archaic test methodology and what needs to be disclosed, but I can't find the Xbox 360 test to confirm or dismiss that idea. It was obviously in the box and operating during the test procedure. :/

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
ALSO. WHY DOES PS3 NEED SO MANY AC CABLES?

Edit: Ah Ha. I swear I typed this before I saw Walkman's post.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Kangu said:
Like your retirement fund lol

Zing.

Anyways, I believe the 360 is 7 pounds without the PSU, and PS3 is 11ish with it. I could be wrong, and I can't remember the PSU weight, but 4 pounds sounds a bit much, but I wouldn't be surprised.

fse

good thing its 3.2ghz and internal psu. More room on shelfs and stuff. :D
november can't come soon enough... wii, ps3 .... oh my.

Kangu

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
some other random pics

stickervy2.jpg

bottomew0.jpg

:/

why would you even think of having a triple tiered base? especially when the last tier is so small. really makes absolutely no sense from a design perspective, unless you want the console to look like its floating when horizontal. not that that makes up for it looking hideous in the vertical position.

Happy about this confirmation. happy dance dance!!
Sony provides the description for that part of the report, right? Im not to familiar with these reports. They test it right?

MattXG

Banned
davepoobond said:
sounds like your mom.
That is a violation of the TOS.

Please, don't let it happen again or I will have to report you to the mods. :)

Come on. We can discuss this like gentlemen and not shut in nerds right?

The document is new but the information in it is as old as June. Maybe that's why there's no RSX info. It's safe to say that the RSX has gone from the 1.8TFLOP rockstar to the backburner and will be on the next season of VH1's "The Surreal Life". It will be roomates with the Dreamcast. Should be interesting.

Mmmkay

TobitheCat said:
The document is new but the information in it is as old as June. Maybe that's why there's no RSX info.
Try reading the document, not other people's misinterpretations:
testdatezq8.png

At a guess, I'd say it's just AJOLLYFELLOW being disingenuous again. Say 7 total, 1 less for 'audio', 1 less for 'OS', and another 1 for 'on demand OS' = 4SPE's for game code. It's not the first time someone's jimmied the numbers like that. Doesn't make it right though.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
MattXG said:
That is a violation of the TOS.

Please, don't let it happen again or I will have to report you to the mods. :)

Come on. We can discuss this like gentlemen and not shut in nerds right?

:|

Mmmkay said:
Try reading the document, not other people's misinterpretations:
testdatezq8.png

At a guess, I'd say it's just Dopey being disingenuous again. Say 7 total, 1 less for 'audio', 1 less for 'OS', and another 1 for 'on demand OS' = 4SPE's for game code. It's not the first time someone's jimmied the numbers like that. Doesn't make it right though.
Dude, we knew everything in that document (sans the uber technical shit) since May and June.

MattXG said:
OS has claimed another SPE for its own.... :(

I can play you're game...

Xenon uses 1-2 threads (0.5 to 1 core) for file decompression, and 1 (0.5 core) for audio. Rendering 1/3 to 1/2 of the CPU useless to game code, etc. But that is a retarded analysis. Just like your analysis of CELL is retarded, as well.

Just look at the CPUs from a physically usuable perpective. CELL = 1 PPE (2 threads + VMX) + 7 SPEs (1 thread each) @ 3.2 Ghz. Xenon = 3 PPEs (2 threads each + VMX 128 unit each) @ 3.2 Ghz.

Mmmkay

TobitheCat said:
Dude, we knew everything in that document (sans the uber technical shit) since May and June.
It's a test for EMI compliance on a final production class PS3, not a product spec breakdown. It doesn't need to list every single component.

Top Bottom