• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Sigh of relief-TON) FCC tests say: PS3 Cell 3.2GHz, PSU Internal

Razoric

Banned
llTll said:
kinda late to the party.

but does this " So the SPE count is down to 4 now? Ouch."

hold any truth?

if not. what is the true number

dopeyfish and other xbots spreading FUD (launch is closer, they are working overtime).

its not true, been debunked on b3d.

llTll

Banned
jjasper said:
No it doesn't just a stupid OA troll
Razoric said:
dopeyfish and other xbots spreading FUD (launch is closer, they are working overtime).

:lol
awsome. lmao @ working overtime.

so what is the real number? 1 for OS, 1 not used [ for better yalds or something ] and like 5 left for games " or 6 ?

Mmmkay

Razoric said:

Well, actually it was both debunked and technically confirmed. The reason (as far as I can tell) why it was debunked is because it isn't a standard case. Not every game is limited to 4 SPEs for game code, so saying that is incorrect. The original rumour stems from the OS being allowed to call on an additional 'low priority' SPE for its own usage, and that was confirmed (ironically by the person who debunked the original April rumour).

What we don't know is the circumstances where someone may only be running game code on 4SPEs. It may be that we're separating out audio from game code, and having the OS switch out an SPE when the XMB is called. That doesn't mean the game is only using 4 SPEs. It's the sort of half truth that you'd expect from an Inquirer article.

Heck, it may even be optional for the OS to use an extra SPE, because the developer gets to choose the additional XMB functions that will be present while the game is being played. There are just too many unknowns to accept the new info at face value.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The OS repurposing a low priority SPE for its own uses (temporarily) wouldn't make "4 SPEs" true.

If the OS reserves 1 SPE for its exclusive use, that leaves 6 to the application, one of which may be switched to the OS under certain circumstances (if that's correct). '4' doesn't enter into it as far as I can see.

Mmmkay

gofreak said:
The OS repurposing a low priority SPE for its own uses (temporarily) wouldn't make "4 SPEs" true.

If the OS reserves 1 SPE for its exclusive use, that leaves 6 to the application, one of which may be switched to the OS under certain circumstances (if that's correct). '4' doesn't enter into it as far as I can see.
Well it's the assumption on my part that people are being cheeky with treating audio separate from game code. I've seen it used as an excuse to downplay Cell before, and I wouldn't consider it beyond the realms of possibility here either. That's why I said 'technically'. The circumstances for the rumour are true, but the details are not present to confirm it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You might as well say that the game logic or physics using x number of SPEs means only 2 SPEs are available to the application, or something :lol That's purely nonsense, game audio is the application's domain.

Razoric

Banned
Mmmkay said:
Well, actually it was both debunked and technically confirmed. The reason (as far as I can tell) why it was debunked is because it isn't a standard case. Not every game is limited to 4 SPEs for game code, so saying that is incorrect. The original rumour stems from the OS being allowed to call on an additional 'low priority' SPE for its own usage, and that was confirmed (ironically by the person who debunked the original April rumour).

What we don't know is the circumstances where someone may only be running game code on 4SPEs. It may be that we're separating out audio from game code, and having the OS switch out an SPE when the XMB is called. That doesn't mean the game is only using 4 SPEs. It's the sort of half truth that you'd expect from an Inquirer article.

Heck, it may even be optional for the OS to use an extra SPE, because the developer gets to choose the additional XMB functions that will be present while the game is being played. There are just too many unknowns to accept the new info at face value.

The main point is, the PS3 architecture seems way more complex and flexable than just saying "LAWL downgrade only 4 SPEs for gamecode". We've always known CELL was going to handle the OS, sound, etc. Spreading FUD like, "cell downgraded only 4 SPEs for games" is insinuating that something has changed and games will be downgraded as a result.

Mmmkay

gofreak said:
You might as well say that the game logic or physics using x number of SPEs means only 2 SPEs are available to the application, or something :lol That's purely nonsense, game audio is the application's domain.
I know! I'm not saying it isn't, just that people have been jerks about it in the past. Which is why we need more information about said rumour before going any further.

I'm just doing my part in rationalising the rumour's potential.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bud said:
What a ****ing turd that guy.

Was the 96mb thing confirmed?

Yes by a PS3 dev. But even he said that was the highest it was going to be and that 96MB could come down before the PS3 is released.

Angelcurio

We could also assume that the reserved 96mb of memory was reduced as well. Check that same post on beyond 3D to see where a use says that its obsolete.

Top Bottom