• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Special Edition - Mods Thread: Thomas the Tank Engine Strikes Back

Christine

Is there any reason to mod Special Edition over the normal game?

Several reasons. Special Edition's performance is much better with respect to things like number of simultaneous scripts, so in a battle with a large number of NPC actors you'll see a better framerate and a significant reduction in idle actors waiting for script cycles, and less crashing, instability, and scripting errors. If you are running Windows 10, SE will allow you to use more of your GPU's memory - DirectX 9 has a hard limit of 4 GB under Windows 10. This is very helpful if you want to go crazy with boosting texture sizes. Also, fixing the Z-fighting problems is a pretty big deal, there was very little you could do to mitigate it in the original game.

lazygecko

Do noble textures change the look of textures or are they just higher res? If it changes them does it look out of place?

It's so and so with regards to vanilla art consistency. Most exterior and city textures I find to be great, but things like the new nordic ruin textures are almost fundamentally different and I don't really like them.

Christine

Unfortunately, there is still a lot of issues regarding the Z-buffer, same old engine after all.

That sucks to hear. It doesn't seem to have the constant flickering you'd get on the mountains seen from the the plains around Whiterun, but I haven't spent that much time with it. Where are you seeing problems?

Zexen

That sucks to hear. It doesn't seem to have the constant flickering you'd get on the mountains seen from the the plains around Whiterun, but I haven't spent that much time with it. Where are you seeing problems?
I saw little occurences on the mountains, but Whiterun itself, when you look at it from quite a distance - like once you cleaned Bleak Falls Barrow and you're on your way to the city- plenty of Z-fighting on Dragonsreach's roof and the surroundings.

Nothing too bad nor unusual, but it's still present.

Christine

I saw little occurences on the mountains, but Whiterun itself, when you look at it from quite a distance - like once you cleaned Bleak Falls Barrow and you're on your way to the city- plenty of Z-fighting on Dragonsreach's roof and the surroundings.

Nothing too bad nor unusual, but it's still present.

Sheson said all the mountains / landscape have been slightly lowered, so that kind of makes sense, it's an asset fix rather than an engine fix, applied to the worst instances of the problem.

Ingame test of new mountain texture.

The second one shows the original SSE texture. Can you believe that it is literally saved in the exact same resolution (4096x4096)?

Honestly, I don't see the difference. And I also don't like it when modders mess with the game. Bethesda intended the textures to be an ugly, blurry mess that wastes HDD and VRAM space and it should stay that way.

jk, they look great!

NoWayOut

Download the 2k FULL Pack, the SMIM patch if you're using it, and the SSE update. Install in same order, manually add them to NMM mod folder if you're using that.

When I install the 2K full pack, NMN asks me if I want to overwrite some of the files from SMIM, same when I install the SMIM compat. patch. Should I allow it in both cases?

Abhor

When I install the 2K full pack, NMN asks me if I want to overwrite some of the files from SMIM, same when I install the SMIM compat. patch. Should I allow it in both cases?

Yeah. SMIM -> Noble (overwrite all) - > SMIM Patch (overwrite all) -> SSE Patch

Carlius

Banned
ar eyou guys using nexus mod manager? i keep getting the sending loing token crap and the manager cant login to my acocunt

Abhor

ar eyou guys using nexus mod manager? i keep getting the sending loing token crap and the manager cant login to my acocunt

Servers are overloaded so they disabled NMM logins. I'm pretty sure they also disabled notifications, cause I'm not getting shit. You'll have to manually download and add mods.

NoWayOut

Yeah. SMIM -> Noble (overwrite all) -> SMIM Patch (overwrite all) -> SSE Patch

Thanks, that worked!

NMN login was down all afternoon for me. I was able to download mods manually and the installed them with NMN offline, so no big deal.

I just tried to login and it worked, not sure for how long.

StereoVsn

Servers are overloaded so they disabled NMM logins. I'm pretty sure they also disabled notifications, cause I'm not getting shit. You'll have to manually download and add mods.
Sunday is their busiest day and yesterday alone they had 16.5K simultaneous logins which is double their Fallout 4 launch Sat load. So today was even busier and I am sure they got hammered.

For whatever it is worth, I just want you and others who may be here on GAF that are working hard on modding to know that your work is very much appreciated. Especially to me right now, I received word that my grandfather passed away just this morning and have been trying to deal with it all day and finally just decided to dive into the skyrim mod scene and be a part of the experience and it's really helping a lot to take my mind of things even just a little bit. It feels really cool waiting to see what crazy stuff comes next so I can test it and see it in action. I think I've been bitten by the mod bug lol. So again, thank you and I hope that I can inspire you amazing folks to keep going!

Oh, and how do I do a manual installation? I can't download anything at all with the Mod Manager atm. It's been like that all weekend due to heavy load and I think I'll stop being lazy and learn how to do it the hard way.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Are there any skill improvement mods, like I feel like one skill point per level up is limiting. Ordinator just seems to add more perks and fix some existing ones, but still looks like so many things you'll miss due to how skill points work.

I can't install the Noble 2K texture pack through NMM as it says the original Skyrim isn't setup using NMM and I need to go back and add the game. I don't have it installed though as I deleted it to play the SE. How do I get around that?

Ploid 3.0

Kinda pleased with PS4 mod selection tbh

People have come up with smart ways to manipulate the game so you can add ocean waves, dynamic spell shadows, and now improved magic noises

Super interesting solution for improving sounds on PS4:
https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/skyrim/mod-detail/3000795

Manipulates the playback of existing files

The existence of the PS4 version, may end up benefiting everyone if people start discovering things like this. Necessity is the mother of invention.

IceIpor

It's amazing what old mods still work in the special edition with just a little bit of work.

I've got my favorites menu mod back and aft running again, although not the newer iaft because that requires a mcm menu to get it back to the old more complete dialogue tree.

However, I read there's a bug in the new engine that causes NPCs to fall out of bounds of the game world that Bethesda needs to patch before anyone should continue.

Patchy

Banned
NobleSkyrim looks so good with SMIM and Total Character overhaul.

Now I need decent hair, fire and nightsky mods for the graphical stuff and I think that'll do me.

Running everything maxed out @ 2036p downsampled to 1440p and only getting some small drops to around 56 fps otherwise it's a rock solid 60 and looks brilliant.

Love. This. Game.

I don't know about you guys, but Darker Nights is a must for me. Vanilla 'nights' is laughable.
694-0-1477802832.jpg

god is real

No Vampire Attacks in Towns

I know y'all were annoyed at NPCs for minor quests being killed off by this

https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/skyrim/mod-detail/3003943

Fantastic news.

zeroOman

so is the PC special edition any better than original one ?

and if not.... what is the best mod for skyrim for graphic.

Top Bottom