• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Song of the Deep has gone gold

it's an 8-12 hour Metroidvania, underwater, with maybe the best soundtrack ever in an Insomniac game (I heart it so much).

If you like that side-scrolling era exploration style game, I think you'll dig a lot

Hey - is this game locked at 30fps? I did a YouTube search and realized that I couldn't find any actual 60fps footage.

Warxard

Banned
it's an 8-12 hour Metroidvania, underwater, with maybe the best soundtrack ever in an Insomniac game (I heart it so much).

If you like that side-scrolling era exploration style game, I think you'll dig a lot

You had Stewart Copeland do three of your games.

Best Soundtrack is a huge statement to me.

The music was extremely good in the trailer.

But will it pass up the nostalgia-enjoyment I have for Ratchet & Clank Up Your Arsenal's Soundtrack?

maybe

The whole gamestop thing is just weird to me, why is gamestop trying to be a game publisher...

added game to my steam wishlist, but probably won't buy for a long time. Got a million games already from the summer sale and while this looks cool enough, it doesn't tickle my pickle enough that I need to buy it RIGHT NOW.

Nia

Played it for a little at RTX today, got a shirt and a pin of Merryn. The premise is cute, and what I played was fun. Since the special edition is that cheap, I think I will get that.

bede-x

Sounds perfect. I'm gonna hold off buying more Steam sale games in anticipation of this :)

Bought for PC, I can't wait for this... I hope to see more Insomniac Games on PC... (Yeah I know that those games are for Playstation) but I want to believe... :D

One of our fellow gaffers, that Dragon Punch guy was quite adamant that Sunset Overdrive was coming to PC, but sadly nothing was announced at E3.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
You had Stewart Copeland do three of your games.

Best Soundtrack is a huge statement to me.

Yeah there may be too much nostalgia for the Spyro / Ratchet soundtracks.

This one though at the very least is my favorite of any game from PS3 onward. Music is so subjective, YMMV

Watched some trailers and interviews on the game at Gamestop while waiting for the PSVR demo. This game is gorgeous. Really excited. Just hoping for a platinum as the cherry on top. Awesome they have physical copies for so cheap.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
(Disclosure: I work at GS)

I'm looking forward to this. I'm part Irish (and Black, I'm Mocha Cream!) so the Celtic inspiration is really interesting to me. I really like the narrator and the whole game just looks charming to me. Sadly, try as I might, a lot of my customers don't share my interest. Though, of the few preorders I do have, they are all women or buying for their daughters. Which it a great thing.

As for why GS is getting into publishing? I can only guess but lets take a look.

1) It diversifies their company. GS is dipping their toes into a ton of things. 2-3 years ago is was collectables. Now it's worth over $100 million to them. It's like we have a Funko Queen Ant in our back rooms spitting out POPs. =P However, it's also meant some awesome statues come through I can offer too.

2) Mechandising rights. A couple of people commented on this but its true. Game devs keep the IP but GS probably keeps the merch rights. So, more exclusive merch with nice margins on them. If Song of the Deep is a success and reviews wrong, maybe those Merrin POPs will sell more. The T Shirts (which was cool btw) will sell more. Etc. Also, the potential to expand the IP for the future.

3) Retail is on the downslope. It's a fact. Go look it up. Retail as a whole is down and has been trending down over the years while travel and leisure trends up. People aren't buying as much as of late. So, GS being a retail company, is trying hard to stay ahead of the curve and offer more. Look at their messaging. You'll see "value" and key words like that. So, offering these games exclusively to them is part of that. Especially at $15. That's an easy add on. So much more so if the game is good. Which I think something like Song of the Deep is (given demo impressions).

On a personal level, if Song of the Deep is good and I play it and believe in it. It will be awesome for me because I can suggest it to everyone. It's only $15 for a potentially good Metrodvania. A story of a little girl, putting together her own submarine to face the deeps of the sea to find her dad? Isn't stuff like that something we have been asking more of? As a gamer, that's something I can get behind. As a Store Manager, I can even more so because I can suggest the game and believe in it. Not as something I'm told to do (and if the game is not good, I won't be doing this).

So, I have high hopes for the game. I have the CE on order even though I'll probably get a free copy.

Sorry for the rant. I'm a veteran Store Manager who has gone through some shit (liver transplant couple years back), has become a bit of a minimalist and simply looks for games I can believe in that people will enjoy instead of pushing them because I'm told to. It makes the job much easier and more fun.

(More disclosure: There is a profit sharing model for this game in the company (which is cool!). But it's so tiny that I don't give a shit.)

Are they even bothering to shrink wrap the games?

I know I know...

Still sitting on the sidelines so far. I don't know, something has me in the wait and see mode.

Warxard

Banned
Yeah there may be too much nostalgia for the Spyro / Ratchet soundtracks.

This one though at the very least is my favorite of any game from PS3 onward. Music is so subjective, YMMV

This is how I would rank Insomniac Games OSTs

Spyro The Dragon
Ratchet and Clank 2
Sunset Overdrive
A Crack in Time
Spyro 3

So I'm very excited to hear some SoTD

Sounds perfect. I'm gonna hold off buying more Steam sale games in anticipation of this :)

One of our fellow gaffers, that Dragon Punch guy was quite adamant that Sunset Overdrive was coming to PC, but sadly nothing was announced at E3.

OMG Sunset Overdrive on PC would be great... I hope they release it on Steam, too bad that Spider Man 4 it's PS4 exclusive... :(

drotahorror

Was pretty excited til I watched a 19 min gameplay video.

I'm sure there's more to it but it looks like it's just mainly puzzles? And the puzzles are mainly the ones where you shift a mirror around and project a light/laser at another mirror/button?

I guess I thought it was going to be something different. Art design is great though, which is what got my attention that and the setting.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Was pretty excited til I watched a 19 min gameplay video.

I'm sure there's more to it but it looks like it's just mainly puzzles? And the puzzles are mainly the ones where you shift a mirror around and project a light/laser at another mirror/button?

I guess I thought it was going to be something different. Art design is great though, which is what got my attention that and the setting.

that's just one area's puzzle's, it's combat, exploration and puzzles

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I love all Insomniac's PS3 onwards games (except Fuse) and I love Metroidvanias but something about this one isn't piquing my interest. Can't put my finger on it.

wouwie

Reviews are out. I'm on mobile so i can't link but they seem decent enough on average, somewhere in the middle between good and bad.

RerezDude

Haven't seen anyone post a review of the game yet on YouTube, so here's mine that I just released today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwEhGKSVT4M

I've got a Core i7, Nvidia GTX 980 ti, ran the game with Windows 10 on an SSD. I recorded it at 1080 at 60fps. Unfortunately there were basically no advanced graphics options or settings like texture quality and stuff like that. I'm not sure if that will change with an update but the game looked pretty good as is.

if you have a powerup card you can pick this up on Monday instead of tuesday at Gamestop which I thought was cool. really looking forward to playing it.

Top Bottom