• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog social media posts 25th anniversary clip - hidden numbers inside

Hatchtag

Banned
If you put the two rings as double Os, then the numbers 3, 21, 4, 3, 1, 16, 21, and 7 as their corresponding letters on the periodic table of elements, you get Sonic Shoebills. Throw in Ag (silver, from the mark tweet) and you get Sonic Globalises and oh my god i've devoted 20 minutes of my life to this shit.

Notice how I only included the original trio in my post. That's as many playable characters that this franchise needs.

In addition, it wasn't until Adventure 2 that the extra playable characters became a chore. In SA1, playing as Sonic/Knuckles/Tails was fun, swift and an excellent mix-up to the gameplay. Scaling new heights and discovering new shortcuts as Tails was fun. Climbing and exploring as Knuckles was well paced. Even the E-102 stages were quick fun shooting galleries. Amy arguably is the slowest paced platformed character, but it was still a nice challenge to master her momentum jump and hammer attacks, albeit not as fun. We won't speak about big.

SA2's accomplishments:
-Let's make Knuckles stages hour long nightmares with the emeralds hidden in unspeakable crevices! Yeah!
-Clumsy robo-walkers shoved into endlessly cramped hallways with fixed camera angles. Woo!
-Barely any Sonic-style stages force fed to you in a fixed order for the sake of variety. RAD.
-Let's throw out simple character-driven stories in favor of ow-the-edge plot shenanigans like throwing Sonic in jail! Talking to the President of the USA! The Moon being blown in half! Dead teenage girl! Her grandfather getting executed by shooting! I can't hold all this edge!

Yeah, no. SA1 had a flawed but working formula with the potential to improve. It wasn't until SA2 that they shit the bed. I want ST to pick up where SA1 left off with competent programers to avoid an 06, and the restraint to avoid another SA2.

All this is true but you totally ignore the HUGE advancement in gameplay with the sonic levels in SA2. SA2 created what sonic should be in 3D and all games since were based on it. Flying through a course, hitting every trick, getting huge combos, having a perfect run is one of the best thrills in gaming.

All this is true but you totally ignore the HUGE advancement in gameplay with the sonic levels in SA2. SA2 created what sonic should be in 3D and all games since were based on it. Flying through a course, hitting every trick, getting huge combos, having a perfect run is one of the best thrills in gaming.

I'll agree to that. I already listed it as a negative that we didn't get enough Sonic/Shadow stages, arguably the only thing SA2 improved on :p

Chase17

No, it's the most correct opinion.

The game is shit. Shitty gameplay, shitty unlockables, shitty stages.

I didn't liked it when I was a kid, I didn't liked when they ported it later on PC, I don't like it now.
Did you make sure to play the Big the Cat sections?

I didn't liked it when I was a kid, I didn't liked when they ported it later on PC, I don't like it now.

Well I and many others love both installments so describing it as "shit" is extreme hyerbole. Perhaps it's just not for you.

Zareka

SA3 plz

And by SA3 I mean Sonic only stages OR Generations formula with the hilariously bad cheese that was SA2's plot. I don't care what anyone says about the story in that game, it was amazing. Awful, but amazing. Also Chao Garden.
Mobile companion app for the ultimate time eater.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
giphy.gif

If SA1 was shit to you, almost 98% of 3D games of that entire era both before and beyond must have been shit to you. It controls no worse than the majority of the better offerings at the time and remains a breeze to play today all things considered.

BiggNife

Isnt '06 essentially SA3? Whatever gets me more Big the Cat will make me happy.

06 is almost definitely SA3 in all but name. SA3 supporters tend to ignore this because, well, it's Sonic 06.

I wouldn't go as far to say the SA games aren't good and were never good, but they are absolutely products of their times and have not ages particularly well. I think a lot of SA fans are looking at those games through rose tinted glasses and haven't played them recently. I'd much rather they keep building on Generations' gameplay and structure and avoid all of the extra cruft the Adventure games had.

Chase17

SA3 plz

And by SA3 I mean Sonic only stages OR Generations formula with the hilariously bad cheese that was SA2's plot. I don't care what anyone says about the story in that game, it was amazing. Awful, but amazing. Also Chao Garden.
I have a similar appreciation for the story in SA2. One of my favorite things is how the music is always way louder than the voice acting.

Maedhros

Sonic Advance series was my salvation when they were making Adventure games...

The first one is still so good.

If SA1 was shit to you, almost 98% of 3D games of that entire era both before and beyond must have been shit to you. It controls no worse than the majority of the better offerings at the time and remains a breeze to play today all things considered.

Nah, many games had better 3D implementation that the shit that Sega pulled out with Sonic. Just one example: Mario.

Controlling Sonic in Adventure was one of the worst 3D experiences I've ever had. At least they got it in Unleashed, finally (too bad th werehog was there...).

06 is almost definitely SA3 in all but name. SA3 supporters tend to ignore this because, well, it's Sonic 06.

I wouldn't go as far to say the SA games aren't good and were never good, but they are absolutely products of their times and have not ages particularly well. I think a lot of SA fans are looking at those games through rose tinted glasses and haven't played them recently. I'd much rather they keep building on Generations' gameplay and structure and avoid all of the extra cruft the Adventure games had.

I actually played Sonic Adventure 1 again last week and while it's certainly flawed with a few of the characters gameplay styles the core Sonic gameplay is still as fun as ever. If a third installment is to come hopefully they focus more on polishing up the overall experience. I'm a fan of the Unleashed styled games too but they're just not as involved as the Adventure games, I prefer the slower pace and focus on actual platforming, I actually like Lost World for this very reason.

NathanS

In addition, it wasn't until Adventure 2 that the extra playable characters became a chore. In SA1, playing as Sonic/Knuckles/Tails was fun, swift and an excellent mix-up to the gameplay.

No, no they weren't. They sucked. Oh boy let's flout around waiting for the radar to blink at me to tell me where a thing is buried. Going through an old level in almost the same way I did last time When will fun start? SA1 is at BEST passable. Which is better then SA2, but that's hardly an accomplishment or worth going back too. Or honestly ever letting out of the basement well we pretend it never existed and hope it dies of starvation.

I don't think Adventure fans would deny that 06 is SA3 in everything but in name, it's just that it's a complete dumpster fire is all. To compare them is like comparing retail version of Uncharted 2, to the first working pre-pre-alpha of Uncharted 1. That is to say, the Dreamcast's SA1 is a working finished product, and 06 was untested horseshit pressed onto a disc.

No, no they weren't. They sucked. Oh boy let's flout around waiting for the radar to blink at me to tell me where a thing is buried. Going through an old level in almost the same way I did last time When will fun start? SA1 is at BEST passable. Which is better then SA2, but that's hardly an accomplishment or worth going back too. Or honestly ever letting out of the basement well we pretend it never existed and hope it dies of starvation.

Adventure 2's problem was it broke up the flow with mediocre Knuckles or Tails segments, the Sonic and Shadow stages were really well designed and enjoyable. I agree with PeakPointMatrix in saying Tails and Knuckles were enjoyable in the first Adventure. Tails felt like a light version of Sonics gameplay with a fantastic flying mechanic and Knuckles benefited from smaller levels and a less restrictive radar. The problem for Adventure comes with the other playable characters, Gamma was pretty fun.

Maedhros

BTW, it's not that I hate the idea of multiple playable characters in Sonic games (since I like Advance series).

It's just that the Adventure gameplay was shit. If they make Adventure 3... they should stay completely FAR AWAY from Adventure gameplay. Keep the collecathon aspects and even make multiple types of gameplay, just make sure ALL OF THEM actually are playable, without camera problems, glitches and make it responsive.

If it does turn out to be Sonic Adventure 3, I hope there are just the core characters. Sonic was done well enough in Generations, Tails could be the open world levels and Knuckles? Make his levels a colourful remake of Shadow of the Colossus.

An SA3 with Sonic's modern Colors/Generations gameplay, well-built Tails mech gameplay, and good Knuckles brawling could be fun.

Not sure I trust Sonic Team to deliver the quality and consistency necessary to make that kind of thing work, but I don't think the ideas explored in Adventure 1 and 2 are inherently shit.

J@hranimo

Banned
Still not gonna get excited about nothing, I just want to see what the damn game(s) is/are lol.

Although I'm thinking we'll have a Classic Sonic-centric game and a Modern Sonic-centric game.

Maedhros

An SA3 with Sonic's modern Colors/Generations gameplay, well-built Tails mech gameplay, and good Knuckles brawling could be fun.

Not sure I trust Sonic Team to deliver the quality and consistency necessary to make that kind of thing work, but I don't think the ideas explored in Adventure 1 and 2 are inherently shit.

Yup, they were just implemented like shit.

Sonic Advance series was my salvation when they were making Adventure games...

The first one is still so good.

Nah, many games had better 3D implementation that the shit that Sega pulled out with Sonic. Just one example: Mario.

Controlling Sonic in Adventure was one of the worst 3D experiences I've ever had. At least they got it in Unleashed, finally (too bad th werehog was there...).

I'm sorry? I just don't know how to react to this, since it sounds hyperbolic to the greatest degree. If I aim my control stick in a direction, and my character follows in a manageable, predicted path with the appropriate momentum, I consider that competent movement in a 3D space, which SA1 managed to do. Sure Mario 64 is still the king of 3D movement, but it doesn't hurt to get it 60%-70% right, which most 3D games at the time barely managed to do.

But I just don't think we're gonna agree though, because I consider controlling Unleashed-era Sonic in slower 3D spaces about as easy as sliding an anchor around on wheels.

Chase17

My favourite thing is how the characters keep cutting each other off.
That's pretty great too!

If it does turn out to be Sonic Adventure 3, I hope there are just the core characters. Sonic was done well enough in Generations, Tails could be the open world levels and Knuckles? Make his levels a colourful remake of Shadow of the Colossus.
What levels will he get :)
I fully expect him to get thrown into any Sonic game. Ala Sonic Boom.

I need more cutscenes like this in the next game. Sonic Boom didn't cut it for me.

SA3 plz

Well if it brings back Dr. "Blow up the fucking moon to send a message" Eggman, I don't think I'd be in any position to complain.

SoulUnison

Banned
In addition, Mike Pollock tweeted:
"@sonic_hedgehog You know what the traditional 25th Anniversary gift is, don'tcha? #justsaying"

Which is silver, by the way.

Oh god no, please no.

"For Sonic's 25th Anniversary...Silver the Hedgehog, starring Silver! He has guns, now!"

Also: Sonic? Hidden numbers?
I'm disappointed not to see "19, 65, 9, 17."

Chase17

Oh god no, please no.

"For Sonic's 25th Anniversary...Silver the Hedgehog, starring Silver! He has guns, now!"

Also: Sonic? Hidden numbers?
I'm disappointed not to see "19, 65, 9, 17."

A Silver spin off has been a long time coming. What was the last game he was in? Generations? I'm pretty sure his last playable role was Rivals.

Zareka

I have a similar appreciation for the story in SA2. One of my favorite things is how the music is always way louder than the voice acting.
Oh man! That, the way characters spoke over themselves, cutting each other off...all the jank. I loved the jank. Coupled with the tone it was just so enjoyable. It'd never fly nowadays but hey, a man can dream.
Well if it brings back Dr. "Blow up the fucking moon to send a message" Eggman, I don't think I'd be in any position to complain.
Yes! This too. I liked actually evil Eggman.

Warxard

Banned
people who think the Adventure titles (1, 2, Heroes, Shadow, Sonic 06) are anyhthing but awful shouldn't really comment on Sonic games.

They are poorly designed experiences that mostly got away with it's bullshit game design because they were the first genuine sonic games since Sonic CD released. The fatigue/nostalgia for the IP can make people at that time think stupid things.

They are bad games.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
There hasn't even been a Sonic Adventure game in like 15 years and those games are still ruining Sonic. This thread is living proof. Will the cancer that is Sonic Adventure ever truly die?

rardk64

sonic adventure 3 or gtfo sega

This is where I'm at. Sonic Adventure 2, looking back, had a lot of flaws. But take the Sonic controls from Generations, make Knuckles control more like the Werehog in Sonic Unleashed (so Knuckles plays more like a beat-em-up or even a musou?). Take Tails & Eggman out of their vehicles. Something sweet can be done with that.

If you put the two rings as double Os, then the numbers 3, 21, 4, 3, 1, 16, 21, and 7 as their corresponding letters on the periodic table of elements, you get Sonic Shoebills. Throw in Ag (silver, from the mark tweet) and you get Sonic Globalises and oh my god i've devoted 20 minutes of my life to this shit.

Bizarrely, this actually works.

Top Bottom