• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog social media posts 25th anniversary clip - hidden numbers inside

Chase17

See, people keep saying this and I don't think it'd be true at all. I mean sure, you'd lose the ridiculousness of a Man-Hog, but I highly doubt people would have been any more impressed with the gameplay. I think the ridiculousness of the concept is only the tip of the iceberg with why people think the werehog is bad. It's how slow and generally bland he is, especially in direct contrast to the fast day levels. All you'd be doing is changing "ugh another slow werehog level?" into "ugh another slow Knuckles level?" Maybe if the gameplay was good, the character wouldn't even be a joke. Nobody's laughing at Link turning into a wolf, after all.
My biggest problem with Unleased is Chip of all things. I don't even find it amusing to poke fun at him, like I do Big.

MrBadger

It wasn't even decent. If the best you can say is "This shit doesn't stink as much as these bigger shits" that's not much. It was junk that I'd expect from a 13 year old writing fan-fiction. It has ZERO good points. And makes even less sense. (Why did Gun attack the Ark? Was Gerald already planning to destroy the world? I thought he did that because of the Gun attack. why did he need an "ultimate" life form? and so on and so forth.)

He needed the ultimate life form to cure Maria's space aids. According to the Japanese manual, anyway.

RK128

It wasn't even decent. If the best you can say is "This shit doesn't stink as much as these bigger shits" that's not much. It was junk that I'd expect from a 13 year old writing fan-fiction. It has ZERO good points. And makes even less sense. (Why did Gun attack the Ark? Was Gerald already planning to destroy the world? I thought he did that because of the Gun attack. why did he need an "ultimate" life form? and so on and so forth.)

You know what? You're right. The story for every 3D Sonic game has been bad to horrid for years until we got Secret Rings, which started putting things on the right track (light hearted, funny moments, ect).

Then we got Sonic Unleashed which stands as the best 3D Sonic story ever told. Great mix of light elements that you expect from the series while also being dark at the right moments. We also got great world building, the core Sonic cast being themselves again in a main-line installment, and some of the best production values in the series.

Black Knight is one of my favorite stories in the Sonic series personally. Every character is greatly voiced and acted, the story while one-note is decent, the character interactions were great, the usage of the King Arthur setting was good and the twist in the middle of the game was well played. Even the talking sword, something that should of been annoying, wasn't. If the game had its gameplay to be like Unleashed Day Levels, I would consider this my favorite Sonic. Everything is perfect to me here; story, presentation, art direction and even how extra characters were handled (everyone play's like Sonic but with slight differences). But the level design and gameplay drag the game into 'okay' range.

Colors was more funny and light hearted, but that was great. It was a return to the Genesis Era, something the series really needed. Eggman at his best, Sonic & Tails being great, and the tone being Sonic.

Generations had no story, so lets move on :). Lost World tried to pull what Unleashed did but due to not explaining a lot (Deadly Six, the thing Eggman had to control them, the Lost Hex, ect) and the tone being all over the place, it as only okay.

Even though Sonic Boom RoL had the story issues as Lost World (but even worse due to the games rushed nature) it nailed its tone characterization wise and the character interactions during levels (not the 'BOUNCE PAD!' 'THIS IS WHAT SPEED LOOKS LIKE' 'RIINNNGGGSSS!!!!!' quips that pop up too. many. times.) were really funny and reminded me of the cartoon (which is good, one of the better Sonic cartoons out there). Even Lyric had a decent backstory (made his suit due to being sick from interacting with the Chaos Crystals, so he hates life-forms and trusts tech due to the latter saving his life & the former almost killing him).

The Sonic Adventure duology and Donkey Kong 64 are both interesting examples of games that were pretty well received by critics when they first came out but now everyone poops on them lol.

Can't find the Metacritic score for the first SA when it first came out on Dreamcast, but I know a lot of publications gave it good scores at the time (Famitsu, IGN, GamePro, etc). SA2 (for Dreamcast at least) had a 89 on MC. Donkey Kong 64 had a 90 there, which you wouldn't get the impression of when you read what everyone on the internet thinks about that game, har har.

Guess Who

Banned
The Sonic Adventure duology and Donkey Kong 64 are both interesting examples of games that were pretty well received by critics when they first came out but now everyone poops on them lol.

Can't find the Metacritic score for the first SA when it first came out on Dreamcast, but I know a lot of publications gave it good scores at the time (Famitsu, IGN, GamePro, etc). SA2 (for Dreamcast at least) had a 89 on MC. Donkey Kong 64 had a 90 there, which you wouldn't get the impression of when you read what everyone on the internet thinks about that game, har har.

The thing about SA2 is that it aged like milk. The GameCube version not even a year later has a 73 on Metacritic and it's basically a straight upgrade over the DC version.

I think being the Dreamcast's swan song also caused people to view it less critically, too.

Chase17

We all need a new sonic heroes in our lives that's the correct answer
Much like SA2, I love Sonic Heroes far more than I should.
Then we got Sonic Unleashed which stands as the best 3D Sonic story ever told. Great mix of light elements that you expect from the series while also being dark at the right moments. We also got great world building, the core Sonic cast being themselves again in a main-line installment, and some of the best production values in the series.

Colors was more funny and light hearted, but that was great. It was a return to the Genesis Era, something the series really needed. Eggman at his best, Sonic & Tails being great, and the tone being Sonic.
Sonic Unleashed story is alright, but I can't get past Chip. I really don't care much about the story in Sonic games though. Give me some ridicules cutscenes and I'll be happy.

Clearly Sonic Boom has the best story though. Within the first 15 minutes we learn that Knuckles can't differentiate left and right.

Highwind

I'd like Sonic Adventure 2 more if the Knuckles and Tails sections weren't utter shit and forced.

I can still enjoy Sonic Adventure 1 today.

NathanS

He needed the ultimate life form to cure Maria's space aids. According to the Japanese manual, anyway.

They don't tell us that anywhere in the game's story, only outside it in a langue i can't read, I don't count that. To go full English major "if it's not in the text it doesn't exist"

Much like SA2, I love Sonic Heroes far more than I should.

Sonic Unleashed story is alright, but I can't get past Chip. I really don't care much about the story in Sonic games though. Give me some ridicules cutscenes and I'll be happy.

Clearly Sonic Boom has the best story though. Within the first 15 minutes we learn that Knuckles can't differentiate left and right.
I mean who wouldn't "what goes up must come down" the opening slays and from than on its a pretty awesome game.love the 3 man team setup

RK128

I mean who wouldn't "what goes up must come down" the opening slays and from than on its a pretty awesome game.love the 3 man team setup

If the controls for the Speed Characters were better and the Special Stages were not horrid, the game would be a great Sonic game honestly :).

Great level designs, visual style that nails the Genesis-like tone it sets out, the soundtrack rocks and the three-team mechanic is a great way to have a lot of playable characters while retaining the 'core' speed style from the Adventure games.

Control is too loose and the camera needs refinement but otherwise I loved and still love Heroes :).

Hell, Shadow was a good sequel to Heroes in fixing a few of its original issues (camera a bit better, wall jumping a lot better, button to light-dash/switch rails, light-dash paths always around even if the rings are gone). Even the level designs for Shadow are mostly good (though a large number of them have issues.....Lost Impact and The Doom can go F*** themselves X().

RK128

The legacy of Sonic '06 is being tarnished by the lack of a remaster. Sega, you know what to do.

If they kept it the same but locked it at 60FPS/1080p.....I feel bad saying this but I would buy it day one XD! Share button, Live Stream and trophies for getting glitches? Game full of win XD!

All this teasing does nothing for me. Sonic 4 was teased and hyped to the ends of the earth and back, and that ended up being possibly one of the biggest gaming let downs ever, for me. I don't trust SoJ to make a good Sonic game any more, no matter the marketing campaign. Wish this wasn't the case.

If the controls for the Speed Characters were better and the Special Stages were not horrid, the game would be a great Sonic game honestly :).

Great level designs, visual style that nails the Genesis-like tone it sets out, the soundtrack rocks and the three-team mechanic is a great way to have a lot of playable characters while retaining the 'core' speed style from the Adventure games.

Control is too loose and the camera needs refinement but otherwise I loved and still love Heroes :).

Hell, Shadow was a good sequel to Heroes in fixing a few of its original issues (camera a bit better, wall jumping a lot better, button to light-dash/switch rails, light-dash paths always around even if the rings are gone). Even the level designs for Shadow are mostly good (though a large number of them have issues.....Lost Impact and The Doom can go F*** themselves X().
Another heroes lover my man! And yea i was playing it a couple weeks ago definitely needs work on the speed controls. And god hectors team drives me nuts! To this day

RK128

Another heroes lover my man! And yea i was playing it a couple weeks ago definitely needs work on the speed controls. And god hectors team drives me nuts! To this day

Heroes easily is better then the Adventure games quality wise even with the control issues I have with it. And even then, just swapping to the Power character fixes most of the control issues I have.

Team Chaotix was something I never beat X(. Hate there mission-based gameplay (and the factor Shadow built its levels around this was.....a greeeaaat idea :l).

I think probably. Consider how different SA1 and SA2 were. SA2 dropped the hub world completely. I don't think anyone missed the Tails/Eggman and Knuckles/Rouge levels, so I'd say yeah it'd have been fine. I still maintain that replacing the Werehog with Knuckles would've been a bit better received (a Werehog just made people laugh at the same).

I'm also one who doesn't believe Unleashed was really a bad game, just that it was weird for Sonic to suddenly be slowed down as this weird creature. Again, replace that with Knuckles, it'd have made some more sense (Knuckles is stronger than he is fast).

I think werehog as character was the lesser evil. I thing mandatory fights, balancing sections, and excessively long levels were the low points.

Although, I think Unleashed was good. Great music, great levels (eggmanland the goat), great progressión.

Heroes easily is better then the Adventure games quality wise even with the control issues I have with it. And even then, just swapping to the Power character fixes most of the control issues I have.

Team Chaotix was something I never beat X(. Hate there mission-based gameplay (and the factor Shadow built its levels around this was.....a greeeaaat idea :l).
Team chaotix are still my favorite but man they were hard as hell. But thats why i want another heroes because while generations did a good job showing all the characters off, they basically was just there. Heroes can even add another team now with silver,blaze and...um someone new lol

RK128

I think werehog as character was the lesser evil. I thing mandatory fights, balancing sections, and excessively long levels were the low points.

Although, I think Unleashed was good. Great music, great levels (eggmanland the goat), great progressión.

I personally had more issues with how Sonic controls in the Day Levels; he felt like a tank and had a hard time controlling him during platforming sections :l. Still loved most of his day levels regardless (Arid Sands Day was the only one I hated :l) and loved how breathtaking they all were visually (Jungle Joyride Day.....such an amazing looking stages :'). Wish that or Eggmanland was the stage for Generations representing Unleashed).

The Werehog never bothered me in the HD version honestly. Heck, I'm one of the oddballs that loved his stages XD! Enough combos to make combat interesting, great control, platforming sections felt fine and the visuals/music still was great here (hated the battle theme though after a while :l). If anything, I hated them in the Wii version but loved the Day Levels in the Wii version. They just dragged on and the fact Eggmanland Night has FIVE stages of Werehog vs Sonic's one five minute stage.....ugh X(.

My first time with Unleashed was the Wii version and I hated it. Too many Werehog levels and the Day levels were too short. Werehog having less combos and controls feeling off (smashing the stick to run was bad X() didn't help either.

But my time with the HD version was a great experience. Everything was polished, visuals were great, controls for both styles was good and level designs for both were good too. The music is one of my favorite Sonic soundtracks and while I had issues (metal collecting was stupid and the performance issues was distracting), I still loved the game. Hands down the best Modern Era Sonic in terms of balance and polish.

Colors I loved and Generations rocked but Unleashed felt like Sonic Team 'nailed' what they wanted to do with the Adventure series. Sonic levels being great but having a very strong 'additional' style that allowed them to have even polish on both elements.

Chase17

Team chaotix are still my favorite but man they were hard as hell. But thats why i want another heroes because while generations did a good job showing all the characters off, they basically was just there. Heroes can even add another team now with silver,blaze and...um someone new lol
Chaotix is great! I always liked how there was a team of Amy, Cream, and Big. Just found it a funny group.

Heroes probably does the best job in the series of incorporating "sonic's friends". Even if the four teams have similar gameplay.

RK128

Chaotix is great! I always liked how there was a team of Amy, Cream, and Big. Just found it a funny group.

Heroes probably does the best job in the series of incorporating "sonic's friends". Even if the four teams have similar gameplay.

The bolded was why everything worked so well in that game. Everyone playing the same but with slight differences (Team Rose having the best Team Blast, Team Chaotix having Espio's invisible ability, ect). This allowed Level Design and core gameplay to become equal and balanced.

I assumed the "4" and "1" in that Big The Cat plush pic meant PS4 and XB1? 3/21 is presumably the announce for something. 2 rings, 2 games?

You guys are making me want to pull out the gamecube and play it again. I'd love at least an hd remaster or something. As a matter of fact a sA1&2 and sonic heroes collection along with a new game would be so damn cool.

Hatchtag

Banned
I assumed the "4" and "1" in that Big The Cat plush pic meant PS4 and XB1? 3/21 is presumably the announce for something. 2 rings, 2 games?

still wouldn't explain 16 in that pic and the 7 in the other.
Although, if we're going off of the "numbers mean consoles" theory: NES, SNES, N64, GC, WII, WII U, NX-7.

RK128

This lines up with recent rumors of two games coming out this year.

-Both coming out on PS4/X1
-Both getting announced on the 3/21
-One being Modern Sonic Game, other being Classic Sonic Game
-One coming out on Sonic's Birthday (Classic), one coming out in November (Modern)

Supporting this could be out the team behind Lost World being free since 2014 (though they worked on Runners) and the team behind Generations has been busy since the end of 2011 (Generations launch date).

Chase17

The bolded was why everything worked so well in that game. Everyone playing the same but with slight differences (Team Rose having the best Team Blast, Team Chaotix having Espio's invisible ability, ect). This allowed Level Design and core gameplay to become equal and balanced.
Definitely. Far preferable than the mixed bag of gameplay they give his friends in other game.

You guys are making me want to pull out the gamecube and play it again. I'd love at least an hd remaster or something. As a matter of fact a sA1&2 and sonic heroes collection along with a new game would be so damn cool.
That collection would be amazing.

RK128

I wouldn't hold my breath on a remastered collection of the Dreamcast era games buddy :(. They were all poorly rated and regarded by many as 'Bad' games, so Sega likely isn't going to want to shine a spotlight on a collection of those three. I could see an updated-port of the PS2 version of Heroes (kinda like how Double Fine is fixing up the PS2 version of Psychonuts for the PS4 latter this year) for the PS4 though :).

I also see the Modern Era games (Generations, Colors, Lost World) getting the collection and remaster treatment (1080P/60FPS) on PS4/X1 too.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a remastered collection of the Dreamcast era games buddy :(. They were all poorly rated and regarded by many as 'Bad' games, so Sega likely isn't going to want to shine a spotlight on a collection of those three. I could see an updated-port of the PS2 version of Heroes (kinda like how Double Fine is fixing up the PS2 version of Psychonuts for the PS4 latter this year) for the PS4 though :).

I also see the Modern Era games (Generations, Colors, Lost World) getting the collection and remaster treatment (1080P/60FPS) on PS4/X1 too.
Funny enough i could care less about sa1&2 being added lol i threw those in there as a bone for others i just want sonic heroes. Ooooo i didn't think about ps2 classics?? Segaaaa hop on it

Hatchtag

Banned
What year is it?

Regarding "7"...July release?

Nah, it'll be a fall game. No way it'll be July if it hasn't been announced yet.
If it's announcement dates and consoles, then 3/21/16: announcement. 4 & 1: PS4/XB1. 7: NX. Seperate because the NX might not be revealed by then.

JediLink

I won't lie...a competent re-do of Sonic 06 would actually be awesome.
Only if all they keep is the music and the scene where Shadow kicks Silver in the head. Everything else would need to be changed so much it wouldn't even be recognizable.

RK128

Funny enough i could care less about sa1&2 being added lol i threw those in there as a bone for others i just want sonic heroes. Ooooo i didn't think about ps2 classics?? Segaaaa hop on it

I could also see Mega Collection Plus and Gems Collection landing on PS2-to-PS4 Classics as well :).

I would guess Shadow being a part of this....but I would hope its more for a big joke then wanting to sell copies of the game XD. The trophies for that would be amazing :')
"Get that DAMN Emerald" - Complete Circus Park Hero Mission
"Cracking that Egg" - Get Dark Ending for Egg Dealer Boss
"Lost In Space" - Spend 40+ Minutes on Lost Impact'
"This is the REAL Ending ;)" - Unlock the Last Story
"What are you Waiting For?" - Spend 15 Minutes during the Final Boss
"What Where You're Aiming!" - Shoot a Hero Character when they are following you
"Player 2" - Sync up a second controller and play as the partner character for any stage
"Haunted Chao Garden" - Beat Hero Mission in Cryptic Castle
"Cyber Hacker!" - Beat any Mission in Mad Matrix
"Escaping the City" - Beat Westopolis in Story Mode 20 Times

Nah, it'll be a fall game. No way it'll be July if it hasn't been announced yet.
If it's announcement dates and consoles, then 3/21/16: announcement. 4 & 1: PS4/XB1. 7: NX. Seperate because the NX might not be revealed by then.
NX is the 7th Nintendo home console (if it is a console?)

It's just hard to speculate when no one knows what it is

bman94

Given the nature of the Sonic twitter I wouldn't be surprised if it's all just one big troll and all the numbers were pointless.

I could also see Mega Collection Plus and Gems Collection landing on PS2-to-PS4 Classics as well :).

I would guess Shadow being a part of this....but I would hope its more for a big joke then wanting to sell copies of the game XD. The trophies for that would be amazing :') ("Get that DAMN Emerald" - Complete Circus Park Hero Mission / "Cracking that Egg" - Get Dark Ending for Egg Dealer Boss / "Lost In Space" - Spend 40+ Minutes on Lost Impact).
I wouldnt dare attempt a shadow the hedgehog platinum run screw that

Village

See, people keep saying this and I don't think it'd be true at all. I mean sure, you'd lose the ridiculousness of a Man-Hog, but I highly doubt people would have been any more impressed with the gameplay. I think the ridiculousness of the concept is only the tip of the iceberg with why people think the werehog is bad. It's how slow and generally bland he is, especially in direct contrast to the fast day levels. All you'd be doing is changing "ugh another slow werehog level?" into "ugh another slow Knuckles level?" Maybe if the gameplay was good, the character wouldn't even be *as much of a joke. Nobody's laughing at Link turning into a wolf, after all.

There are quite a few folks who's interests increase when a character they like is invovled.

And 2 sonic isn't link, people's opinions of sonic may be they dont like sonic being that. You remeber " dark sonic" from sonic x. Its that its uncharacteristic of that character and generally a turn off. Even more so considering they could just used knuckles and reads as fuck that character you like.

Chase17

I would guess Shadow being a part of this....but I would hope its more for a big joke then wanting to sell copies of the game XD. The trophies for that would be amazing :')
"Get that DAMN Emerald" - Complete Circus Park Hero Mission
"Cracking that Egg" - Get Dark Ending for Egg Dealer Boss
"Lost In Space" - Spend 40+ Minutes on Lost Impact'
"This is the REAL Ending ;)" - Unlock the Last Story
"What are you Waiting For?" - Spend 15 Minutes during the Final Boss
"What Where You're Aiming!" - Shoot a Hero Character when they are following you
"Player 2" - Sync up a second controller and play as the partner character for any stage
At what point would a the "Sayanora, Shadow the Hedgehog" quote pop up? When you exit the game/uninstall it?

RK128

At what point would a the "Sayanora, Shadow the Hedgehog" quote pop up?

"Sayanora, Shadow the Hedgehog" - Finish the Last Story
"Up Your Arsenal" - Use every weapon in the game
"At the Speed of Sound" - Beat Westopolis in 2 minutes

Edit: I'm having too much fun making trophy names for this XD!

RK128

This is the ultimaye power.

Ow the edge would be the achievement for unlocking the katana.

Can we please make a trophy list and send it to Sega saying "Use this for the PS2 Classics version of Shadow" XD?

"Explosive Temper" - Use Chaos Blast 20 Times
"Time Hopper" - Use Chaos Control 20 Times
"The Power is MINE!" - Shooter 1000 Bullets when in Chaos Mode
"I see EVERYTHING!" - Have Doom's Eye Follow you in every Dark Mission he's in

Top Bottom