• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog social media posts 25th anniversary clip - hidden numbers inside

My biggest problem with Unleased is Chip of all things. I don't even find it amusing to poke fun at him, like I do Big.

My biggest problem is that they give Sonic a bracelet that fit his design and could've easily been subtly included in future games as a wink to Unleashed, but was immediately dropped.

(Although from a design standpoint, it broke easy mirroring.)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It makes me really happy to see the Sonic Heroes love here. Without a doubt the most under appreciated Sonic game ever. It was the first 3D Sonic game that I would honestly call a good game. It remained the best 3D Sonic until Colours came along.

Warxard

Banned
I can understand people thinking the Knuckles and Tails stages were bad, but the Sonic stages? They weren't bad. Could they have been better? Sure, but to call them outright bad is overdoing it IMO. They could be a bit wonky but they were still fun.

The Sonic stages in SA1 and SA2 weren't bad...at least for the first couple of stages. Later on into those epxeriences the sheer 'fuck-shit' regarding their quality becomes more and more apparent. Becomes more difficult to time homing attacks properly to latch onto rails, the Light Dash mechanic becomes worthless and can often stop mid-way during light dashing, spindashing is useless, everything feels like you're treading on a thin bar against hazards. So many pitfalls, so many useless stage gimmicks. The fucking worst.

Wow, pretty harsh. I've been a Sonic fan since I was a kid, and I like most of those games, the ones I could pass on being Shadow and 06. But Sonic Adventure DX may be my favorite Sonic game ever. But I shouldn't comment on Sonic games? My opinion is somehow diminished now?

For what it's worth, most of the people I talk to all had great fun and have good memories with Adventure DX, Adventure 2 Battle, and Heroes. They are not gamers on Internet forums. Just people who grew up with those games and loved them. I hardly think they're "thinking stupid things."

Do you.

Guess Who

Banned
It makes me really happy to see the Sonic Heroes love here. Without a doubt the most under appreciated Sonic game ever. It was the first 3D Sonic game that I would honestly call a good game. It remained the best 3D Sonic until Colours came along.

I think Heroes gets a worse rep than it should, but it's still extremely flawed. Most of the levels are twice as long long as they should be (hell, many of them basically repeat entire sections), the controls are super slippery, characters won't shut up, and you have to basically play the game four times to unlock the final story - one of those times being a super easy and boring version of the game you already played, and another being a mission mode where all the objectives are tedious and unfun.

yeah i'm gonna be honest, i wanted to like heroes. it had some good ideas (imo) going for it: simplified story, lightened tone, good level variety with colorful aesthetics, branching level paths utilizing each character type's skillset, resurrecting the goddamn knuckles chaotix characters...

but god i just don't enjoy playing it. control is super loose, forced enemy encounters aren't fun at all (and went on to become a regular fixture in the series), the levels drag like crazy, on top of needing to replay them each 3 more times to get to the ending.

i respect some of the ideas and think there's perhaps the makings of a decent game in there, but ugh. i couldn't finish it.

Maedhros

yeah i'm gonna be honest, i wanted to like heroes. it had some good ideas (imo) going for it: simplified story, lightened tone, good level variety with colorful aesthetics, branching level paths utilizing each character type's skillset, resurrecting the goddamn knuckles chaotix characters...

but god i just don't enjoy playing it. control is super loose, forced enemy encounters aren't fun at all (and went on to become a regular feature in the series), the levels drag like crazy, on top of needing to replay them each 3 more times to get to the ending.

i respect some of the ideas and think there's perhaps the makings of a decent game in there, but ugh. i couldn't finish it.

That's a problem with all 3D Sonics up to Unleashed.

I like the ideas these games had, but the execution was flawed as all hell in all of them.

If they can give me Generations gameplay with these ideas, I won't complain even if they put Big the Giant Fatass Cat in the game.

Crayolan

My interpretation of OP: they're gonna make us feel like its 1991 again with the classic Sonic game and then fill the modern Sonic game with memes and Big the Cat.

Somehow, the modern game will be the better of the two.

Funny, I think Heroes is the first 3D Sonic game I'd honestly call a bad game. Even when I was a kid I thought Heroes was mediocre at best.

Unless you count 3D Blast I guess.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think Heroes gets a worse rep than it should, but it's still extremely flawed. Most of the levels are twice as long long as they should be (hell, many of them basically repeat entire sections), the controls are super slippery, characters won't shut up, and you have to basically play the game four times to unlock the final story - one of those times being a super easy and boring version of the game you already played, and another being a mission mode where all the objectives are tedious and unfun.
I don't disagree with any of this, but still overall it was a very fun game and a big step up from the Adventure games.

I'll only accept another sonic adventure if it's designed like SA1 with hub worlds you can actually explore and chose where to go next, and good gameplay obviously.

Tizoc

I'd settle for Sonic 1-3 Taxman remasters at this point, for heaven's sake Sonic CD should not be the only friggin' Taxman remaster available on consoles and Steam.
WHAT IS THIS MAD LOGIC?! HOW DOES SEGA, SEGA LIKE THAT?!
IT'S CLASSIC SONIC.

nns3d

I would definitely like to see a game that improves on Sonic Lost World. I didn't like the demo so much but the potential is there.

Yukinari

3 / 21 were numbers that appeared in the Game Grumps photo as well.

tumblr_o0neh9PN1S1u5cb23o1_1280.png

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand but i think its really funny that Arin, a guy who hates Sonic, has played so many Sonic games on Grumps.

I know they do it because its a series thats easy to make fun of but still.

I'd settle for Sonic 1-3 Taxman remasters at this point, for heaven's sake Sonic CD should not be the only friggin' Taxman remaster available on consoles and Steam.
WHAT IS THIS MAD LOGIC?! HOW DOES SEGA, SEGA LIKE THAT?!
IT'S CLASSIC SONIC.

Hell, get Taxman to work with Sega to make an NEW 2D Sonic game in the style of the old games(with classic physics and and all). No doubt would be better than Sonic 4(and more fitting a successor).

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I swear if we get another all stars racing without ristar in it...
If we get another All Stars Racing without Ristar in it then I'll be jumping for joy that we're getting another All Stars Racing. I don't have time to be picky about what characters make it or don't make it when the kart racing king is making a return.

Falk

that puzzling face
Hell, get Taxman to work with Sega to make an NEW 2D Sonic game in the style of the old games(with classic physics and and all). No doubt would be better than Sonic 4(and more fitting a successor).

I don't believe this statement is correct at all.

I know the whole 'fans do it better' schtick is tired and often incorrect, but fans did make Freedom Planet.

Not agreeing nor disagreeing either way, but Taxman is one person, not Taxarmy. Food for thought.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I know the whole 'fans do it better' schtick is tired and often incorrect, but fans did make Freedom Planet.

Not agreeing nor disagreeing either way, but Taxman is one person, not Taxarmy. Food for thought.
Freedom Planet is nothing like Sonic and if I were to judge Freedom Planet as a Sonic game I'd have to say the game is pretty bad. Luckily it's not a Sonic game.

Ein Bear

Sonic Heroes is fucking awful. The characters handle like they're running on ice, the enemies have health bars for some terrible reason, and all four 'campaigns' are just the same god damn thing.

Heroes laid the groundwork that Shadow and 06 followed. Shit controls, shit graphics, shit gameplay and thousands of shitty, shitty friends. I was 13 when it came out and couldn't believe how terrible it was compared to SA2.

(Great soundtrack though)

Village

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand but i think its really funny that Arin, a guy who hates Sonic, has played so many Sonic games on Grumps.

Arin doesn't hate sonic, he just doesn't really like some of the games actually. He actually if you pay attention to what he says sometimes... knows like a lot shit about sonic, more than he lets on. Like maybe he was a fan at some point and fell off. Which would explain the extra bit of vitriol. " I used to like this "

Sonic Heroes is fucking awful. The characters handle like they're running on ice, the enemies have health bars for some terrible reason, and all four 'campaigns' are just the same god damn thing.

Heroes laid the groundwork that Shadow and 06 followed. Shit controls, shit graphics, shit gameplay and thousands of shitty, shitty friends. I was 13 when it came out and couldn't believe how terrible it was compared to SA2.

There weren't thousands of anything and the next game, only had 1 playable character. Like if you wanna argue heroes engine, fucked two of the next games. I will give you that, I believe that. You can't make up " friends " numbers. And a lot of " shitty friends" you are talking about, like chaotix, were dream cast, but no one likes to talk about that. Along with that, there were also buncha hand held games coming out at the time with friends in it, that were good.

But, no there were thousands, there weren't few that some poeple liked, and its a childrens brand to sell toys and merch and shit nah. Thousands, its not that's not common or anything, nah. Thousands.

Eblo

Sega blog posted about Hedgehog Day with some relevant info:
As we enter Sonic’s 25th Anniversary Year, it’s an exciting time to be a Sonic fan.

Isn’t it crazy to think it’s been 25 years since Sonic 1 released? Some of you reading this probably weren’t even born when the older among us pooled up our allowance to buy a copy of Sonic for our Genesis or Mega Drive. But, no matter our age, we all celebrate and follow the iconic blue blur for reasons that remain universal.

I know at least half of you reading this are thinking: “Hey! Are you announcing anything big today, like Sonic Labyrinth 2 or Tails Sky Patrol IV? What’s the scoop?”, but you’ll need to be patient for a while longer. Good things take time, and we’re sticking to that. That said, you’ve probably noticed a few numbers floating around here and there. Who knows that they might mean? (By the way, in case you missed it – those weren’t eyes, they were zeros.)

I find it interesting that Sega directly mentioned the numbers and clarified that the circles were indeed 00. So whatever the numbers could mean definitely seems like a clue.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I loved Sonic Heroes as a kid but recently replayed it, and yeah, it hasn't aged well---arguably worse than Sonic Adventure 1. But while that game has bite-sized levels that are brief enough to enjoy despite the flaws, by Zone 2 Heroes bombards you with marathon-sized levels.

I won't lie and say I haven't thought about what teams they could utilize for a sequel though.

Blueblur1

Sonic Heroes was definitely the beginning of the crap train. I remember playing the Seaside Hill stage on the demo disc that came packed with Mario Kart Double Dash and being extremely disappointed by it. The visuals and the gameplay felt like a notable downgrade and the final product wasn't any different. The only reason I don't totally hate it is because of the music and the fact that it's the game that brought back [most of] the Chaotix.

Zipzo

Banned
I always find reading Sonic discussion threads to be so fascinating because Sonic has seen such a broad range of experimental game play styles, and as a result there's going to be an invariable split in opinions on each particular game. Sonic's evolution in the 3D era hasn't been like genesis where Sonic 1-3 are near interchangeable in gameplay barring upgrades here and there. Many of the games play completely different.

That being said it's unfortunate that so many find it necessary to berate others for their taste in a particular version of 3D Sonic. Each game, in my opinion, has good things that I can say about it, and yes that even includes 2006. Obviously, some games have way more bad than good, but this can differ from person to person a bit, and past a certain point it becomes a completely subjective matter on whether the game was good or not.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were moderately successful on both the Dreamcast and Gamecube, and even received favorable reviews from gaming outlets (on both). Professionally and financially speaking these games were successful, and if you extrapolate that proof of general "good-ness" than these games were objectively pretty good. Of course you're free to continue thinking they were shit, if that's what you fancy.

My particular opinion is that Sonic Adventure was one of Sonic's finest eras as a gaming franchise, right next his extended 2D grand slam after his introduction on the genesis.

Generations, Colors, Unleashed (speed levels) are all modified, polished, reconditioned versions of the type of game play they introduced in Secret Rings. You move straight and hold boost. Sometimes you jump and use a homing attack, press right or left to switch rails...I mean I'm sorry but while they are fun for what they are, they aren't what many of us who loved Sonic Adventure actually want from a 3D Sonic game.

At the risk of being opinionated, I find that kind of game play to get old and boring very fast. It was fun in Unleashed despite being infrequent due to werehog, and in colors and generations we got a nice huge overdose of it, but I was thankful to high heaven for Lost World for giving us something different. Lost World was really enjoyable because it didn't stress going straight. It opened up your space, it gave us more technical control of Sonic's movements so that we could display a greater finesse and control of the character to maneuver way more complex level designs, and ultimately that's what those of us who miss SA1/2 want from a modern 3D Sonic game...

We want space. We're tired of feeling like we're on a race track. Yes, Sonic runs fast and it makes for some pretty decent games focusing on it, but we miss the exploration (Yes, you heard me), the feeling of going down a rabbit hole level, using not just speed but platforming and visual cues, to find your way through an area that feels like it's alive for more than just to support your path on your way through (like I said, like a race track). That's breathing without you being there. You're just a guest.

Sonic 2006 was overall a very poorly developed game, but its intentions were honest and in the same vein as the Adventure series games. It's a shame that the result was so poor, because clearly its failure led to very many years of SEGA simply trying to lean on the best possible 'safe' strategy for milking Sonic like they're going down in flames and it's an emergency.

We have enough 2D Sonic's at this point, let them try their hand, with all their past experience (and failures) in mind, at giving us a solid, epic, 3D adventure game that we can truly say is deserving of the "3" in the title.

#SonicAdventure3

RK128

I always find reading Sonic discussion threads to be so fascinating because Sonic has seen such a broad range of experimental game play styles, and as a result there's going to be an invariable split in opinions on each particular game. Sonic's evolution in the 3D era hasn't been like genesis where Sonic 1-3 are near interchangeable in gameplay barring upgrades here and there. Many of the games play completely different.

That being said it's unfortunate that so many find it necessary to berate others for their taste in a particular version of 3D Sonic. Each game, in my opinion, has good things that I can say about it, and yes that even includes 2006. Obviously, some games have way more bad than good, but this can differ from person to person a bit, and past a certain point it becomes a completely subjective matter on whether the game was good or not.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were moderately successful on both the Dreamcast and Gamecube, and even received favorable reviews from gaming outlets (on both). Professionally and financially speaking these games were successful, and if you extrapolate that proof of general "good-ness" than these games were objectively pretty good. Of course you're free to continue thinking they were shit, if that's what you fancy.

My particular opinion is that Sonic Adventure was one of Sonic's finest eras as a gaming franchise, right next his extended 2D grand slam after his introduction on the genesis.

Generations, Colors, Unleashed (speed levels) are all modified, polished, reconditioned versions of the type of game play they introduced in Secret Rings. You move straight and hold boost. Sometimes you jump and use a homing attack, press right or left to switch rails...I mean I'm sorry but while they are fun for what they are, they aren't what many of us who loved Sonic Adventure actually want from a 3D Sonic game.

At the risk of being opinionated, I find that kind of game play to get old and boring very fast. It was fun in Unleashed despite being infrequent due to werehog, and in colors and generations we got a nice huge overdose of it, but I was thankful to high heaven for Lost World for giving us something different. Lost World was really enjoyable because it didn't stress going straight. It opened up your space, it gave us more technical control of Sonic's movements so that we could display a greater finesse and control of the character to maneuver way more complex level designs, and ultimately that's what those of us who miss SA1/2 want from a modern 3D Sonic game...

We want space. We're tired of feeling like we're on a race track. Yes, Sonic runs fast and it makes for some pretty decent games focusing on it, but we miss the exploration (Yes, you heard me), the feeling of going down a rabbit hole level, using not just speed but platforming and visual queue's, to find your way through an area that feels like it's alive for more than just to support your path on your way through (like I said, like a race track). That's breathing without you being there. You're just a guest.

Sonic 2006 was overall a very poorly developed game, but its intentions were honest and in the same vein as the Adventure series games. It's a shame that the result was so poor, because clearly its failure led to very many years of SEGA simply trying to lean on the best possible 'safe' strategy for milking Sonic like they're going down in flames and it's an emergency.

We have enough 2D Sonic's at this point, let them try their hand, with all their past experience (and failures) in mind, at giving us a solid, epic, 3D adventure game that we can truly say is deserving of the "3" in the title.

#SonicAdventure3

You made a great post and before I make my comments on a SA3, will talk about other things first.

I love the Adventure Speed levels myself and SA1 is a blast to play. It really is a Genesis Sonic game but in 3D, done really well. The level design (mostly) is great, the controls for spindashing and rolling feel soo good and nailing your jumps and rolls makes blasting through levels so rewarding. The best part is that Sonic makes up the majority of Adventure and despite having a large cast to play as, it respects the player a lot.

You don't have to play as anyone BUT Sonic. Just clear his 10 zones and his final boss with Eggman and you can put the controller down, happy and having a good time. You can then play as Tails, playing five stages with the ability to fly this time out. Really fun way to revisiting Sonic's stages. Then play as Knuckles and have a more exploration approach to level design.

Lastly, you have the two new styles to play; shooting and Mario-esc platforming. Gama is Sonic with a gun and Amy is a slower Sonic; both are fun and I really enjoyed there levels. Gama is a lot better then the mech stages in SA2 honestly to me. Even Big isn't that offensive, as he only has three-four zones so.....only play as him for maybe for 40 minutes-an hour.

SA1 is aged and will comment on that with my thread on it latter this month (covering the classic series now) but I like SA1 a lot :).

SA2 is a good game.....but you are far more forced with the other styles this time out :(. Speed levels take up 30-40% of the game, with the mech and treasure hunting taking up 60% of the game.....oh such fun :l. I didn't mind those styles, mostly, but still. Sonic's name is on the box, so you should be playing as him for most of the game.

Sonic 06 was horrid in this case, with such a focus on other styles, that everything suffers in the end due to lack of polish, time spent on useless elements (Amy, Missions, ect) and just in general being really glitchy.

I don't want a SA3 because of 06. It showed that Sonic Team will just make a SA3 with 9+ characters again and everyone playing so different detracts from the star Sonic content.

That is why I love the Modern games so much (and even stuff like Heroes); it (mainly) focuses on Sonic for the majority of the game and its all the more better for it.

I agree that Unleashed's Day Levels are too focused on speed but Colors & Generations establishes a strong balance between everything. I heard mixed things about Lost World but I love the look, style and its gameplay from the footage I saw of it (don't own a Wii U or a good PC to run it).

I do NOT want a Sonic Adventure 3.....just want Sonic Team to continue the work they started with Generations or Lost World, and further polish it to perfection. Sonic 06 showed that Sonic's SA1/SA2 gameplay cannot be done without other styles being shoved down our necks.

I want more 2D Sonic gameplay honestly, and hopefully with all the rumors, we do end up getting a great Classic game AND a strong Modern game. Sorry if I come off too negative or bitter about a possible SA3, but Sonic Team and Sega shown they can't make one without all that baggage. Would be happy to be surprised though however :).

Zipzo

Banned
You made a great post and before I make my comments on a SA3, will talk about other things first.

I love the Adventure Speed levels myself and SA1 is a blast to play. It really is a Genesis Sonic game but in 3D, done really well. The level design (mostly) is great, the controls for spindashing and rolling feel soo good and nailing your jumps and rolls makes blasting through levels so rewarding. The best part is that Sonic makes up the majority of Adventure and despite having a large cast to play as, it respects the player a lot.

You don't have to play as anyone BUT Sonic. Just clear his 10 zones and his final boss with Eggman and you can put the controller down, happy and having a good time. You can then play as Tails, playing five stages with the ability to fly this time out. Really fun way to revisiting Sonic's stages. Then play as Knuckles and have a more exploration approach to level design.

Lastly, you have the two new styles to play; shooting and Mario-esc platforming. Gama is Sonic with a gun and Amy is a slower Sonic; both are fun and I really enjoyed there levels. Gama is a lot better then the mech stages in SA2 honestly to me. Even Big isn't that offensive, as he only has three-four zones so.....only play as him for maybe for 40 minutes-an hour.

SA1 is aged and will comment on that with my thread on it latter this month (covering the classic series now) but I like SA1 a lot :).

Much agreed on this stuff.

Not really a huge fan of the fishing but it's so inconsequential to the overall experience that it didn't really ruin anything for me. Both Tails and Knuckles handle very well, they have great running speeds and still their own abilities so they are still fun to play as despite not being spikey and blue.

Gamma is OK, and to be honest I really liked Amy. There is so much meta with the hammer that she's surprisingly one of the most in-depth characters in the game.

SA2 is a good game.....but you are far more forced with the other styles this time out :(. Speed levels take up 30-40% of the game, with the mech and treasure hunting taking up 60% of the game.....oh such fun :l. I didn't mind those styles, mostly, but still. Sonic's name is on the box, so you should be playing as him for most of the game.

It's true that not focusing enough on the fun Sonic-type game play has gotten many of sonic's games in trouble. Unleashed is almost criminal for this.

Sonic 06 was horrid in this case, with such a focus on other styles, that everything suffers in the end due to lack of polish, time spent on useless elements (Amy, Missions, ect) and just in general being really glitchy.
I won't lie, I suffered through 2006. I want to say I even suffered a bit going through Sonic's campaign. Many of the levels and mechanics have such crippling design flaws that you are forced to mentally waive them lest you throw the controller out the window before you can continue further. What I did appreciate about 2006 was it's ambition. It landed in all the wrong spots, of course, but it wanted something like Sonic Adventure and that's what I respect about it.

I don't want a SA3 because of 06. It showed that Sonic Team will just make a SA3 with 9+ characters again and everyone playing so different detracts from the star Sonic content.

That is why I love the Modern games so much (and even stuff like Heroes); it (mainly) focuses on Sonic for the majority of the game and its all the more better for it.

I agree that Unleashed's Day Levels are too focused on speed but Colors & Generations establishes a strong balance between everything. I heard mixed things about Lost World but I love the look, style and its gameplay from the footage I saw of it (don't own a Wii U or a good PC to run it).

I do NOT want a Sonic Adventure 3.....just want Sonic Team to continue the work they started with Generations or Lost World, and further polish it to perfection. Sonic 06 showed that Sonic's SA1/SA2 gameplay cannot be done without other styles being shoved down our necks.

I want more 2D Sonic gameplay honestly, and hopefully with all the rumors, we do end up getting a great Classic game AND a strong Modern game. Sorry if I come off too negative or bitter about a possible SA3, but Sonic Team and Sega shown they can't make one without all that baggage. Would be happy to be surprised though however :).

You see, in the same vein that you believe past transgressions means they shouldn't bother, I believe their past successes mean that there's still much potential to be unlocked. The amazing game that Sonic Adventure can be improved upon, and turned in to something seriously epic, but it won't happen if they keep churning out safe-zone 2D games and racetrack-boost 3D Sonics. They need to take a chance, they need to be allowed to take one.

Top Bottom