• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 press conference; June 10th 6PM PT/9PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zampano

How would Gaf feel if we end up having to pay for PS4 online/access all the new networking features (sharing etc)? Or Plus becomes mandatory for online play?

tusken77

Please Cernify me.

Cernified.

9YGBDwP.jpg
24JdBYF.png

EDIT: Beaten.

Mung

How would Gaf feel if we end up having to pay for PS4 online/access all the new networking features (sharing etc)? Or Plus becomes mandatory for online play?

As long as basic online play remains free, it would be ok for me. I don't believe that they would make us play for online. Maybe for the added features.

Kyoufu

I'm not paying for online play. Can't see them charging for it. Some new features will probably be part of PS+ though.

Sid

I don't play much online anyways but if this happens I won't be paying for it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

These questions need to be asked about XBLA since they seem to be almost excused by some for charging. All be it not super expensive, they charge because they seemingly can.

I don't want to pay to play online so this could be something Sony would play up.

Base online will most likely be free. They will put some great features behind Plus that make many people have to consider it. Like the Share feature being behind Plus, streaming games, group chat perhaps (even though the Vita does this without Plus), and of course all of the current features. I think they will continue to add value to Plus to make it a more appealing service, but I don't think they ruin their differentiator of free online play and access to streaming services like Hulu and Netflix.

Duffyside

Banned
I think it was the exact opposite. I think they had/have the intention of being very aggressive this time around.

1) Kaz says they'll wait for Microsoft to announce (bait).
2) Sony have their reveal date video come out of nowhere.
3) Sony have a well polished presentation with the ethos of the system as the focus.
4) They have been aggressively courting new partners for a while (Blizzard, Indies, Bungie etc)
5) The vast majority of the HW is mature in design and Sony have had developers working on PS4 for at least a couple of years.
6) The engines are mature, relative to PS2/PS3 timescale. Certain EU developers have been tech researching for PS4 for at least 2-3 years.
7) Going first has granted them a lot of good will from people all around the industry. They aren't playing catch up. They are the ones to beat now.

I don't think 4) is all that true, outside of the indies. Bungie is partnered with Activision, which knows the importance of releasing on multiple platforms, and of course they both realize that almost all of Bungie's fanbase is on the MS platform, so they should do something to win over PS fanboys. And Blizzard doesn't seem much like a courting either, as rumors suggest Diablo III is going to be on the MS platforms as well. Notice there was no mention of exclusivity during the PS Meeting.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If Sony doesn't live up to the hype in here, the meltdown would be beyond anything ever witnessed on GAF.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If Sony doesn't live up to the hype in here, the meltdown would be beyond anything ever witnessed on GAF.

Hype is just mere excitement. There should be no expectation right now. Not until the slew of rumors and wishful thinking starts to happen.

You could say this for any of the 3.

I don't think they will put the share feature behind a paywall. It's basically free publicity for the PS4 and it's games when users are posting to FBook, Twitter, etc...

tha_devil

I don't think they will put the share feature behind a paywall. It's basically free publicity for the PS4 and it's games when users are posting to FBook, Twitter, etc...

of course they wont...although they could do it with certain options, extra effects etc.

would be funny having a button behind a paywall though.

I hope Sony designs a new game case for PS4. Something completely different. Maby even go back to jewl cases. I really hope they don't use the same case.

They kept the same logo they used for PS3 and just added a 4. I didn't like that. New consoles should have a feeling of everything being fresh and new.

I hope Sony designs a new game case for PS4. Something completely different. Maby even go back to jewl cases. I really hope they don't use the same case.

They kept the same logo they used for PS3 and just added a 4. I didn't like that. New consoles should have a feeling of everything being fresh and new.

the case will be round like the shape of a sony discman.

Audioboxer

Really hope Sony carry on the positive vibe. One silly decision will go a long way to changing the headlines.

Glad this is at 2am UK time or I'd of missed it due to work! Just isn't the same not watching live and witnessing twitter/forums exploding.

Duffyside

Banned
I expect Remote Play to be a pay feature. And I think it would be a pretty smart one too.

But I'm not worried about Sony ruining their free services with a paywall. They haven't even raised the price of Plus yet... which they totally should. If they want a way to get more money out of people, they should raise the price of Plus by $10 before they do anything else.

KAL2006

Banned
Duffysprice6962760 said:
I expect Remote Play to be a pay feature. And I think it would be a pretty smart one too.

But I'm not worried about Sony ruining their free services with a paywall. They haven't even raised the price of Plus yet... which they totally should. If they want a way to get more money out of people, they should raise the price of Plus by $10 before they do anything else.

I doubt remote play will be a pay feature, I reckon they wanna sell people on getting a Vita.

I expect the following

Free:
Online play
512MB cloud storage
Share 1 hour worth of video a week
Share unlimited images
Access to all apps like Netflix and etc
Remote play for Vita locally
Mobile app for PSN and game support

PSN+
All the above free features
Instant game collection
Discounts
Exclusive free content and beta access
Share unlimited videos
Livestream
Remote play for Vita over WiFi

I expect the price for PSN+ to be the same

I expect that to be one of the bad bits of news about the PS4. The other will be region locking. The fact that they haven't confirmed either is probably a warning sign since those are two things that they're brag about. Well, at least the free online play anyway.

I doubt remote play will be a pay feature, I reckon they wanna sell people on getting a Vita.

I expect the following

Free:
Online play
512MB cloud storage
Share unlimited images

PSN+
Instant game collection
Discounts
Share unlimited videos
Livestream

This. Sony this time around is talking about the "gamer" an how they are the focus when designing this console. I don't think they will take away something that gamers have grown accustom to for many years.

It would be a horrible design philosophy to have a button on a controller that you have to pay to use. It's not a design philosophy hardware companies do. It sends bad vibes. I expect anything to do with the share button to be free. All Gaikai stuff David Perry talked about is probably the stuff that will be rolled into PS+.

Raoh

I expect the following

Free:
Online play
512MB cloud storage
Share unlimited images

PSN+
Instant game collection
Discounts
Share unlimited videos
Livestream

I agree with everything except the cloud storage. I think that it is just going to stay behind the PS+ wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom