• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony NGP game screenshots (Uncharted, Wipeout 2048 & more) [Update 2: Uncharted Gifs]

perfectnight

Banned
Oct 1, 2010
2,564
0
0
While I liked homebrew on my PSP, I would much rather the Vita be a lot more locked down if it means less piracy.

That does not mean I want it to be region locked though. I played a bunch of JP games on my PSP (Gundam VS games, Monster Hunter, etc) and I'd be pretty damn disappointed if this wound up being region locked.
 

lunchwithyuzo

Banned
Jun 20, 2010
11,040
0
0
yurinka said:
PSP sold like 3 times more than all these devices combined. They weren't serious rivals.
Still, GBA didn't have a captive market, there were competitors. Hell, GBA had less than 4 years on the market before PSP was on shelves too.
 

KingDizzi

Banned
Aug 17, 2009
1,747
0
0
Which reminds me what OS will Vita be using? I might be getting middled up but I think it's android which is just horrible, hope Sony don't stick with that and rather have their own OS. Simply hate Android but looking at the battery icon on the Vita it seems very much like the Android one which does not fill me with hope.
 

lunchwithyuzo

Banned
Jun 20, 2010
11,040
0
0
SolidSnakex said:
Devil Dice was so good. Same for IQ.

Ape Escape is another game that wouldn't have been created without that program. The creator of that actually got his job at Sony through the Net Yarouze program. He's now working on Q Games.
I didn't know that about the Ape Escape creator! IQ was great too, do you know what other games came from these programs? I know Trash Panic and that one Acquire PSP game, anything else?
 
Oct 17, 2005
35,485
2
0
42
perfectnight said:
While I liked homebrew on my PSP, I would much rather the Vita be a lot more locked down if it means less piracy.

That does not mean I want it to be region locked though. I played a bunch of JP games on my PSP (Gundam VS games, Monster Hunter, etc) and I'd be pretty damn disappointed if this wound up being region locked.

I'm willing to give up alot of the CFW features if it means less piracy.
 

SolidSnakex

Member
Jun 7, 2004
85,527
2
0
lunchwithyuzo said:
I didn't know that about the Ape Escape creator! IQ was great too, do you know what other games came from these programs? I know Trash Panic and that one Acquire PSP game, anything else?
Holy Invastion of Privacy, Badman!
Patchwork Heroes
Doko Demo Issyo
Echochrome
Diamond and the Sound of a Gunshot (Japanese PSP only title)

Those are some of the other games.
 

teiresias

Member
Jun 11, 2004
17,261
1
0
Crakatak187 said:
A good solution to homebrew would be app support wouldn't it? I don't think we'll be getting that though.
I suppose it depends on how Sony treats the Playstation Suite stuff. I mean, do they require a piece of Playstation Suite software actually be a "game" per say? Could it be a utility of some kind? Of course, the abstraction afforded by the Suite SDK probably doesn't let you take too much advantage of the Vita hardware, unlike direct homebrew support would.
 
Sep 30, 2009
11,216
1
0
outunderthestars said:
I'm willing to give up alot of the CFW features if it means less piracy.
Personally, the sooner it's cracked, the better.

The thing is gagging to run all my home-made UMD ISOs and PS1 EBOOTs.
 

yencid

Member
Oct 27, 2009
10,618
0
0
28
yogaflame said:
Im afraid that majority of SOny E3 talk is about NGP not ps3 :-(
and the people in this thread will complain about that why?


WEFUCKINGEXCITED

SO SO EXCITED FUN FUN FUN
 
Oct 17, 2005
35,485
2
0
42
yogaflame said:
Im afraid that majority of SOny E3 talk is about NGP not ps3 :-(

Yea, I'd rather them spend the entire time telling me about Infamous 2, Resistance 3, and Uncharted 3 as these are totally unknown ip's that really need more time in the spotlight.
 

SolidSnakex

Member
Jun 7, 2004
85,527
2
0
I could see it being split 60/40 in favor of the PS3 or the PSP2. Both will get plenty of stage time. The PSP2 will get time because it's new hardware and they need to get people hyped about it. The PS3 will get time because it's a big money maker for them right now. They're also going to want to make it clear to people that it has a ton of software still in the pipeline since PS4 is still some time away.
 

Takao

Banned
Mar 19, 2009
51,003
0
0
Toronto, Canada
yogaflame said:
Im afraid that majority of SOny E3 talk is about NGP not ps3 :-(
Makes up for the past 5 E3s where Sony spent a grand total of an hour on the PSP. That's 20 minutes a year bro. Last year was like 12 minutes.
 

Boney

Banned
Jan 6, 2010
33,742
0
0
Takao said:
Makes up for the past 5 E3s where Sony spent a grand total of an hour on the PSP. That's 20 minutes a year bro. Last year was like 12 minutes.
Isn't 20 x 5

100? 98 if we count last year's 12 minutes...

;)
 

beast786

Member
Oct 12, 2007
15,765
0
0
Detroit
I actually do not mind more NGP. There are more than enough games on PS3. Present and future.

There is nothing on NGP. I am ready for you NGP. Show me some games.
 

Kuran

Banned
Jul 18, 2004
6,191
0
0
perfectnight said:
While I liked homebrew on my PSP, I would much rather the Vita be a lot more locked down if it means less piracy.

That does not mean I want it to be region locked though. I played a bunch of JP games on my PSP (Gundam VS games, Monster Hunter, etc) and I'd be pretty damn disappointed if this wound up being region locked.
I could only dream of the homebrew possibilities for Vita (Saturn emulation? Full-speed Amiga emulation?) However would much more prefer it to be completely locked down as to preserve its future for software development.
 

pharmboy044

Member
Dec 23, 2008
6,569
3
900
Kuran said:
I could only dream of the homebrew possibilities for Vita (Saturn emulation? Full-speed Amiga emulation?) However would much more prefer it to be completely locked down as to preserve its future for software development.
Is this even possible? We all know the day the Vita gets released every hacker out there is going to try to unlock to just fuck with Sony.

I personally hope it never gets cracked so the devs can actually earn some money for their hard work.
 

Alextended

Banned
Jan 30, 2010
9,943
0
0
pharmboy044 said:
Is this even possible? We all know the day the Vita gets released every hacker out there is going to try to unlock to just fuck with Sony.
Well didn't the PS3 get pretty damn close to that until their stupid internal leak of something or other?

Anyway, don't think piracy is all the reason, or the primary reason, the PSP was doing so bad. Piracy on Wii (and DS?) was even easier, later firmwares at least patched PSP up pretty well unlesss you had access to those batteries or already hacked PSPs, and no, not everyone did, at least until recently with the officially signed homebrew. Ok, the Wii has pretty much died also by now but for different reasons, plenty games sold great well after hacking was widespread on the device, well after the PSP stopped selling games.
 

Gravijah

Member
Dec 7, 2008
39,071
1
0
Florida
pharmboy044 said:
Is this even possible? We all know the day the Vita gets released every hacker out there is going to try to unlock to just fuck with Sony.

I personally hope it never gets cracked so the devs can actually earn some money for their hard work.
It'll get cracked sooner or later.

Alextended said:
Well didn't the PS3 get pretty damn close to that until their stupid internal leak of something or other?
There is no close. All it takes is one tiny hole, a slip up, an oversight. You're either unhackable or hackable.
 

SolidSnakex

Member
Jun 7, 2004
85,527
2
0
pharmboy044 said:
Is this even possible? We all know the day the Vita gets released every hacker out there is going to try to unlock to just fuck with Sony.

I personally hope it never gets cracked so the devs can actually earn some money for their hard work.
Was there any truth to the story about Nintendo bricking 3DS systems if they detected modified firmware? If that was true then you should fully expect the PSP2 to have something similar.
 

Gravijah

Member
Dec 7, 2008
39,071
1
0
Florida
SolidSnakex said:
Was there any truth to the story about Nintendo bricking 3DS systems if they detected modified firmware? If that was true then you should fully expect the PSP2 to have something similar.
I think something similar was said by Nintendo about the Wii, for whatever that is worth.
 

JakkuFurosu

Member
Mar 2, 2011
3,292
0
570
SolidSnakex said:
Was there any truth to the story about Nintendo bricking 3DS systems if they detected modified firmware? If that was true then you should fully expect the PSP2 to have something similar.
not yet....but we didnt even get one update yet....and with sluggish sales they might wait on actually doing it for awhile (if they ever do)
 

pharmboy044

Member
Dec 23, 2008
6,569
3
900
Alextended said:
Well didn't the PS3 get pretty damn close to that until their stupid internal leak of something or other?

Anyway, don't think piracy is all the reason, or the primary reason, the PSP was doing so bad. Piracy on Wii (and DS?) was even easier, later firmwares at least patched PSP up pretty well unlesss you had access to those batteries or already hacked PSPs, and no, not everyone did, at least until recently with the officially signed homebrew. Ok, the Wii has pretty much died also by now but for different reasons, plenty games sold great well after hacking was widespread on the device, well after the PSP stopped selling games.
I guess we don't know what type of measures Sony will be taking to keep the Vita locked up. Hopefully they've learned something from the PSP in regards to this.

Also, piracy might not have been the main reason but I'd think it was a significant enough of a reason for the third parties to stop supporting the PSP.

SolidSnakex said:
Was there any truth to the story about Nintendo bricking 3DS systems if they detected modified firmware? If that was true then you should fully expect the PSP2 to have something similar.
I had no idea Nintendo was doing this or actually could do this.
 

MalboroRed

Banned
Jan 2, 2011
1,032
0
0
SolidSnakex said:
I could see it being split 60/40 in favor of the PS3 or the PSP2. Both will get plenty of stage time. The PSP2 will get time because it's new hardware and they need to get people hyped about it. The PS3 will get time because it's a big money maker for them right now. They're also going to want to make it clear to people that it has a ton of software still in the pipeline since PS4 is still some time away.
As long as they don't fucking waste time by giving EA and Activision the stage it would be alright, make it first party stuff only and let the third-party bozos use their own conferences for their shit.
 

SolidSnakex

Member
Jun 7, 2004
85,527
2
0
MalboroRed said:
As long as they don't fucking waste time by giving EA and Activision the stage it would be alright, make it first party stuff only and let the third-party bozos use their own conferences for their shit.
Sorry man but I want my BF3 console footage. Sony's conference seems like a good time to sow that. EA's showing last year was fine outside of the boring Tiger Woods demo.
 

Acrylic7

Member
Oct 4, 2010
6,243
0
680
North Carolina
Lando Jones said:
Sigh*
Still hoping Vita is a code name for something else, or just.. no


EDIT - Ahh Hell
What a mess of a company. Damn man. Vita, seriously?

sigh, will wait to I actually see how they spin this thing....... But seriously?
 
Oct 17, 2005
35,485
2
0
42
Acrylic7 said:
What a mess of a company. Damn man. Vita, seriously?

sigh, will wait to I actually see how they spin this thing....... But seriously?

Honestly vita sounds less stupid to me than playstation.
 

Kuran

Banned
Jul 18, 2004
6,191
0
0
Acrylic7 said:
What a mess of a company. Damn man. Vita, seriously?

sigh, will wait to I actually see how they spin this thing....... But seriously?
At least they actually have the hardware right, isn't that most important?

If we got used to Wii and Dreamcast, we will get used to Vita.