• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Reaches Preliminary Programming Deal With Viacom for Online Pay TV Service

Nice Nice

Gif16.gif

We'll see. My guess is fall 14 or early 15 for Euro. But better late than never right?

Of course, but it still sucks that we'll have to wait. I know people will say let the US beta test, but I'd rather be part of the beta test than wait an undefined amount of time for the service to even launch, let alone go through any teething issues.

Need to see the cost of the service.

One thing thats solid about cable is the reliability of that connection. Streaming can just lag behind regardless of your connection speed, so unless this pricing blows cable providers out of the water I can't see myself being bothered with it.

So basically we're looking at this right:

Sony - "Hey guys. Here's our new games console featuring next gen games you know and love. We also have TV options for those who like watching that instead."

MS - "Hey guys. Here's our new entertainment console featuring the best of media content like NFL, Netflix, Hulu, etc. all made better by Kinect 2! We also have games if you are into that sort of thing."

That's how they have sounded to me the entire time.

So what third party exclusives did Sony lock up that won't be making an appearance on the Xbox One because Microsoft wasn't focused on games? What games are we missing?

DC1

Sony and Viacom Reach Tentative Internet TV Deal
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/16/b...om-reach-tentative-internet-tv-deal.html?_r=0
Sony hopes to start selling the service in the fourth quarter of 2013 or the first quarter of 2014, according to a media company executive briefed on the plans for it.

Viacom has more than 20 channels, including big ones like Comedy Central and small ones like Centric. Altogether the channels account for about 15 percent of American cable television viewing.

The agreement is believed to be the first of its kind between a major programmer and any of the technology giants that are trying to disrupt the traditional television model. Viacom and Sony declined to comment on Thursday, but a person directly involved in the negotiations confirmed a Wall Street Journal report about the agreement, which still must be wrapped up by the two companies.

Dragon

Banned
Of course, but it still sucks that we'll have to wait. I know people will say let the US beta test, but I'd rather be part of the beta test than wait an undefined amount of time for the service to even launch, let alone go through any teething issues.

Did you miss the post about European Gaikai servers?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The thing is, Time Warner is responsible to not only providing the content, but also the infastructure. The same is true of all the big cable companies. The cost of maintaining and expanding cable/telco/fiber/etc is huge.

In comparison, look at something like Hulu or Netflix, which just provides the content and not the means to get it to you. $8-$10/month for a vast library of shows through selective partnerships with the content providers.

If Sony is able to make deals with these content providers, they don't need to charge a lot. I don't think Sony would even need to profit off the monthly fee, that could go right back to the content providers. It's a win-win as it allows Sony to offer true IPTV and it provides revenue directly to the networks creating the content.

Except Hulu and Netflix are providing a small sliver of content compared to cable. Cable fees go about 40% or so to live sports (NFL Network, ESPN, etc). ESPN costs about 8-10 dollars a month all in (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, etc) to a cable provider and that price is there because they are all included in the basic cable package. ESPN won't allow their channels to be segmented.

So the 39.95 "Cable Cutter" package is not feasible with the content that would have to be delivered for your average person to actually cut the cable.

It's also not as though the cost of maintaining the cable network just magically goes away if you stop paying for cable. You have to get your interwebs somehow and someone is maintaining that network. So if everyone starts handing 40 dollars a month to Sony then your ISP is going to jack your price up because they are no longer getting that cable/home phone money.

If you start doing A La Carte programming ESPN would likely cost you 20-25 dollars a month based on economic estimates.

Obviously no one knows how all of this will shake out in the next 10 years. Some content owners are consolidating their content onto proprietary services (WB), some seem more than happy to sell their content to bundlers (Hulu, Netflix) while others are still tethered to a cable subscription (ESPN, HBO, NFL).

The TV landscape is going to look very different in 2020 than it does now, but how it will look it anyones guess (IPTV that looks like cable? A bunch of apps from each content provider? A La Carte programming?) which is why Microsoft put an HDMI-In into the Xbox One. It gives them flexibility if the cable operators find a way to survive. Heck, they may be trying to dangle a subsidized Xbox One with a Tuner to providers as a lifeline to give their subscribers "added value".

Except Hulu and Netflix are providing a small sliver of content compared to cable. Cable fees go about 40% or so to live sports (NFL Network, ESPN, etc). ESPN costs about 8-10 dollars a month all in (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, etc) to a cable provider and that price is there because they are all included in the basic cable package. ESPN won't allow their channels to be segmented.

So the 39.95 "Cable Cutter" package is not feasible with the content that would have to be delivered for your average person to actually cut the cable.

It's also not as though the cost of maintaining the cable network just magically goes away if you stop paying for cable. You have to get your interwebs somehow and someone is maintaining that network. So if everyone starts handing 40 dollars a month to Sony then your ISP is going to jack your price up because they are no longer getting that cable/home phone money.

If you start doing A La Carte programming ESPN would likely cost you 20-25 dollars a month based on economic estimates.

Obviously no one knows how all of this will shake out in the next 10 years. Some content owners are consolidating their content onto proprietary services (WB), some seem more than happy to sell their content to bundlers (Hulu, Netflix) while others are still tethered to a cable subscription (ESPN, HBO, NFL).

The TV landscape is going to look very different in 2020 than it does now, but how it will look it anyones guess (IPTV that looks like cable? A bunch of apps from each content provider? A La Carte programming?) which is why Microsoft put an HDMI-In into the Xbox One. It gives them flexibility if the cable operators find a way to survive.

I agree with your sentiment that live sports really doesn't feel the need to look anywhere but cable

There are offerings other than cable but it's always limited and usually a shell of what's offered on cable

I feel in the next 10 years things won't be that interesting for people who really want live sports

For people like me who really don't care about live sports though I'm curious to see what new offerings come out

Should hopefully allow for some really interesting models assuming the stranglehold cable providers seem to have over content providers doesn't hamper it too much

StoOgE

Nice. Sony needs to try with other studios tho we know NBC will be out of the question

Viacom was the most likely candidate. CBS Sports Network is a total joke that has been cut out of any major content. Their big hitters are bowling, professional lacross and rodeo.

ABC/Disney would have to bring ESPN along to get their channels - super expensive and they are part owners in Hulu.
NBC would require NBC Sports to come along - less expensive, but still expensive, also Comcast and they own part of Hulu.
Fox would require Fox Sports to come along, plus the Hulu thing.

WB is in the process of pulling their content off of Netflix and Hulu and consolidating onto their own apps and seems keen to own their own content, but they are the next most likely target.

StoOgE

For people like me who really don't care about live sports though I'm curious to see what new offerings come out

The problem is several of the biggest content providers (ABC/Disney, Fox and NBC) are big in the live sports cable game. Which means they all have a vested interest in keeping people tethered to cable in some way to prop up their golden goose (live sports). Which means they are unlikely to sign away all of their non sports offerings in such a way as to allow people to cancel their cable subscriptions and stop handing them money every month for live sports they don't want.

WB, Viacom, Lionsgate, Weinstein and Sony are the primary content creators out there that aren't big into the live sports cable channels (CBS obviously has a lot of sports, but on a broadcast model not the guaranteed 4 dollar a month from everyone in America model).

Did you miss the post about European Gaikai servers?

My issue isn't with their servers, it's with the service itself and the fact that it's only launching in the US next year with no mention of a EU launch date. The fact that they have so many servers active in the EU makes it even more annoying that we're having to wait for Gaikai to launch over here.

So I stand by my post.

So basically we're looking at this right:

Sony - "Hey guys. Here's our new games console featuring next gen games you know and love. We also have TV options for those who like watching that instead."

MS - "Hey guys. Here's our new entertainment console featuring the best of media content like NFL, Netflix, Hulu, etc. all made better by Kinect 2! We also have games if you are into that sort of thing."

That's how they have sounded to me the entire time.

And then proceeded to announce more games than the competition.

You did watch E3, right?

avaya

If they are clever all of the studios and major networks would form a single company and launch their own service to stop the interlopers Apple, Google et al trampling on their turf. If they were clever.

Dante316

As long as good channels and good price, I can cancel dish and get this. Not getting hopes up yet, best scenario is make it part of ps plus and increase by $10 or $20

Barzul

There would be a difference indeed. You know why? Sony didn't waste an entire event talking about TV TV Sports Sports for us to get mad at them about it. Microsoft on the other hand decided that's what their main focus is besides games. If MS was bringing new games through the generation, we wouldn't have a problem know. This just shows how effective Sony is at keeping other things silent while catering to what people want to talk about.... GAMES.

Does not make it any less hypocritical in my book.

TheJLC

I'm not really a fan of subscription based TV services, but perhaps next gen can beautify it or provide incentives to actually subscribe.

Ovid

Wait, so I might be able to stream Viacom programming via my cable provider without actually paying for cable?

This...is...AWESOME!!!

sense

Does not make it any less hypocritical in my book.

if you spend the whole initial reveal talking tv where the audience mostly is gamers then yes you are going to get criticized. i like how some are taking this as a way to say gamer's don't want tv stuff and trying to call hypocrisy when we are interested in news like this. they don't mind it just don't come off as that is your main focus and not gaming.

JABEE

I want to see how it's going to work. If it's going to be on PS3/PS4 before the end of 2014, I wonder if they will talk about it at GamesCom or have a big event?

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah, this is going to be really interesting. Viacom is huge but I think MS has it right in terms of getting sports since sports is the main thing that's holding most people back from dumping cable.

MS has that deal with NFL and they have partnered up with ESPN too.

Looking forward in seeing what both consoles will bring in this area. Would be funny if gaming consoles end up killing cable TV.

Yeah, this is going to be really interesting. Viacom is huge but I think MS has it right in terms of getting sports since sports is the main thing that's holding most people back from dumping cable.

Looking forward in seeing what both consoles will bring in this area. Would be funny if gaming consoles end up killing cable TV.

Does anyone really need a live stream of any Viacom channels? All of their stuff has to be primarily on-demand and they replay everything a ton, and they have apps on the 360 covering most of their popular channels.
http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/mtv-streams-full-episodes-to-xbox-1200577326/

Sports are not on-demand which is why Microsoft went that way.

satam55

Banned

Last time checked those are only deals for exclusive apps on Xbox. Sony is doing their own IPTV/Pay-TV subscription service that competes with the cable & satellite companies. Microsoft's Xbox app deal isn't gonna prevent Disney/ABC/ESPN or any network that airs NFL games to agree to deal with Sony's service.

I think you're missing the point of his post.

Maybe I am, but him saying:

"We also have games if you are into that sort of thing."

seems to be trumpeting the not focused on games aspect.

Would be funny if gaming consoles end up killing cable TV.

People keep wanting this, but I really don't think people will want what the realistic outcome would be if that were to happen.

jaypah

Sounds good to me! Though admittedly I like the 180 stuff too. I mean, it's not like any sane person would assume that either company wouldn't have games and multimedia. You know, outside of delusional fanboys.

satam55

Banned
Does anyone realize that this Pay-TV service will allow Sony to subsidize the entire price of a PS4/PS Camera bundle for new customers?
weebay-shocked-face.gif

Barzul

if you spend the whole initial reveal talking tv where the audience mostly is gamers then yes you are going to get criticized. i like how some are taking this as a way to say gamer's don't want tv stuff and trying to call hypocrisy when we are interested in news like this. they don't mind it just don't come off as that is your main focus and not gaming.
Hypocrisy: The practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense. (Google)

While I see your your point, it does not make it any less non-hypocritical. People can't claim to hate TV stuff and want a video game only focused on games and then accept when Sony does this. The money they're probably spending on this deal could have gone to game development and more IP's, while Sony has made their console appear more gamer-centric (and kudos to them for that), they clearly still want a big slice of the entertainment pie and are seemingly devoting significant resource. When people criticize MS for TV features and celebrate Sony for doing something very similar, it doesn't matter how both consoles are presented, it's still hypocrisy in my book. Overall I find it satisfying that both console makers seem to looking to breakup the traditional cable arrangement and are providing premium entertainment content, I can't play games all the time so this is a good move.

The problem is several of the biggest content providers (ABC/Disney, Fox and NBC) are big in the live sports cable game. Which means they all have a vested interest in keeping people tethered to cable in some way to prop up their golden goose (live sports). Which means they are unlikely to sign away all of their non sports offerings in such a way as to allow people to cancel their cable subscriptions and stop handing them money every month for live sports they don't want.

WB, Viacom, Lionsgate, Weinstein and Sony are the primary content creators out there that aren't big into the live sports cable channels (CBS obviously has a lot of sports, but on a broadcast model not the guaranteed 4 dollar a month from everyone in America model).

Hmm I suppose that may very well be the case

Honestly don't watch live tv anymore

Cut cable 3 years ago and haven't looked back

So many other ways to get content nowadays that if a provider is unwilling to support my preferred means of delivery they clearly don't need my business

Internet will likely kill cable at some point

Wish ISPs in the US realize that they're anti-consumer bullcrap is going to hurt them in the long-run at least imo

Top Bottom