• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Reaches Preliminary Programming Deal With Viacom for Online Pay TV Service

Bgamer90

Banned
Does anyone really need a live stream of any Viacom channels? All of their stuff has to be primarily on-demand and they replay everything a ton, and they have apps on the 360 covering most of their popular channels.
http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/mtv-streams-full-episodes-to-xbox-1200577326/

Yeah, that's mainly what I was getting at. Many of the things on Viacom channels you can watch for free on their websites.

I still think the deal is pretty big though and could possibly lead to bigger things in the future.

Last time checked those are only deals for exclusive apps on Xbox. Sony is doing their own IPTV/Pay-TV subscription service that competes with the cable & satellite companies. Microsoft's Xbox app deal isn't gonna prevent Disney/ABC/ESPN or any network that airs NFL games to agree to deal with Sony's service.

Yes of course, but I think there's many people that would rather just get sports apps instead of getting a whole IPTV subscription service; especially if just having the former is cheaper.

More like the best thing that has ever happened, especially if we can get HBO someday without all the other crap.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I would love it.

It's just that I wouldn't have expected the possibility of it happening back when this current gen started. Pretty sure that no other gamers did either.

Interesting. Always seemed stupid to me that Sony would just let MS take the whole TV thing without doing anything. They're pretty much a non-player right now and need to invest a lot, while Sony is already established through Sony Pictures.

I was actually pleasantly surprised when the Sony Pictures guy showed up during the PlayStation conference. Seems like nothing special for other companies, but for Sony it really is. Kaz is doing a good job making the different departments actually talk to each other. They can do so much better when they start working together, since they have connections to pretty much everywhere. Every department doing its own thing is not working out anymore.

So I'm glad they start using their combined power. Especially in an area where they have such a big advantage over MS to begin with.

spwolf

Sony, MS, Apple, Intel, Google and a whole host of others trying to get a bite of leftover pie. Even if IPTV actually sounded appealing I wouldn't bet on Sony over the rest of those.

Sony is only one out of those that has ever run a media company and have their own programming already as well as their own tv channels.

So if anyone should be able to do it, it should be Sony.

Verendus

Banned
Cares about games...has worse game lineup. Sony should care more about their launch games.

Edit: on topic. TVTVTVTV, love this stuff.
I agree.

They should have had Uncharted 4, Gran Turismo, and God of War 4 there too. Then consumers would have a choice of those, in addition to Knack, Killzone Shadow Fall, Drive Club, Assassins Creed 4, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4.

Could you imagine the sales? Nothing would go wrong there, let me tell you.

satam55

Banned
Yes of course, but I think there's many people that would rather just get sports apps instead of getting a whole IPTV subscription service; especially if just having the former is cheaper.

You still have to have a cable subscription to use the ESPN app on Xbox. Same thing goes for HBOGO

If they are clever all of the studios and major networks would form a single company and launch their own service to stop the interlopers Apple, Google et al trampling on their turf. If they were clever.

That idea is fraught with anti-trust issues. However, as a media owning conglomerate, Sony has a headstart, it remains to be seen as to whether they can exploit it. With the hostile shareholder action, they might just do it.

Dragon

Banned
I agree.

They should have had Uncharted 4, Gran Turismo, and God of War 4 there too. Then consumers would have a choice of those, in addition to Knack, Killzone Shadow Fall, Drive Club, Assassins Creed 4, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4.

I really wish Infamous made it out for launch. My most anticipated title. Spring is a lot time to wait.

If they are clever all of the studios and major networks would form a single company and launch their own service to stop the interlopers Apple, Google et al trampling on their turf. If they were clever.

What exactly do you think Hulu was supposed to be?

Myshkin

That's why I think he is full of shit personally.

I don't think it's so unrealistic for a new service trying to push its way in. Heck, if fios is in your neighborhood, you can probably get free installation and tv/internet/phone package for $100. (At least that's the last I heard.)

Bgamer90

Banned
You still have to have a cable subscription to use the ESPN app on Xbox. Same thing goes for HBOGO

Not necessarily ;)

But yeah, even with that I could see some things changing in the future.

I don't think that some would mind paying $200 a year for Xbox Live if it came with ESPN streaming.

Hypocrisy: The practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense. (Google)

While I see your your point, it does not make it any less non-hypocritical. People can't claim to hate TV stuff and want a video game only focused on games and then accept when Sony does this. The money they're probably spending on this deal could have gone to game development and more IP's, while Sony has made their console appear more gamer-centric (and kudos to them for that), they clearly still want a big slice of the entertainment pie and are seemingly devoting significant resource. When people criticize MS for TV features and celebrate Sony for doing something very similar, it doesn't matter how both consoles are presented, it's still hypocrisy in my book. Overall I find it satisfying that both console makers seem to looking to breakup the traditional cable arrangement and are providing premium entertainment content, I can't play games all the time so this is a good move.

Do we who what par of Sony is making these deals?Sony is huge company so all their resources don't go towards PlayStation and games most likely SCE made the deal because it is coming to most Sony products with PlayStation possibly being the first.

KAL2006

Banned
I agree.

Sony should have stopped supporting PS3 like MS did with 360. They would not only have Killzone Shadowfall, Knack and Drive Club for launch. They could have had The Last of Us, Beyond, Puppeteer, Rain, Gran Turismo 6, God of War Ascention and etc all in time for PS4 launch. Hell what the fuck are Naughty Dog , Media Molecule, Santa Monica doing, yes they are perobably making PS4 games for 2014, but launch is more important, they should have released all their top games for launch even though PS4 will sell enough witrh Killzone, Knack and Drive Club as well as 3rd party games at launch.

Verendus

Banned
I really wish Infamous made it out for launch. My most anticipated title. Spring is a lot time to wait.
True, but I feel it deserves its own spotlight more than Killzone, Drive Club or Knack. A few months away from the launch mess where everyone is buying various things, and the developers are stressed to hell with the changing schedules to get their games ready, is better for Sucker Punch. They're a pretty small team (relatively) as it is. It's a legitimate shot for them to make a strong impact. There are too many titans at launch with Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, and Battlefield.

It's better for it come out with extra polish when people have gotten over the launch buzz.

From a consumer standpoint, I think it would be amazing to have at launch because it's shaping up to be something special. From a business one though, I think out of all the games, it's the one that deserves the best support to ensure success since it has potential to really wow people.

Everybody hates Microsoft for talking about the hardware and how it interacts with the TV.

Everybody hates Microsoft when they show games for the Xbox One at E3.

Everybody Loves Sony for Talking about Games and then more Games and then TV.

Everybody forgets that Sony is a multinational corporation with different policies.

Anybody Remember Vevo? Guess who was one of the main backers of that program. Sony Music. You wana talk about DRM and taking down videos?

I love pre console launches, they're about as bad as the Elections here in the US.

Btw, this is awesome but let's see what Microsoft does this generation and what partnerships they get.

KAL2006

Banned
True, but I feel it deserves its own spotlight more than Killzone, Drive Club or Knack. A few months away from the launch mess where everyone is buying various things, and the developers are stressed to hell with the changing schedules to get their games ready, is better for Sucker Punch. They're a pretty small team (relatively) as it is. It's a legitimate shot for them to make a strong impact. There are too many titans at launch with Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, and Battlefield.

It's better for it come out with extra polish when people have gotten over the launch buzz.

I am guessing inFamous will come out around Q1-Q2, what is MS Q1-Q2 game.

JABEE

This may be what Harai meant when he responded to Loeb's attempt to spin off Sony Pictures. They want to pair their television and hardware with access to their media properties and their people integrated into the film and television production and distribution industry.

Seriously people here think an online-only pay for live TV service is more mainstream and important than the ability for people to continue to use whatever pay TV service they have right now?

I'm not saying the service has no value to some people, but the idea that this is a master stroke is hysterical. Microsoft sold it's IPTV stuff recently to Ericsson and gave up on this type of thing. Makes more sense to just let people continue to use their current service and augment/overlay/control that experience. Also less likely to piss off media conglomerates by not competing directly with them.

Some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous.

Most.

JABEE

Definitely. That's nothing in comparison to the costs of cable.

That's like, 2 months of cable TV.
That may be worth it for Monday Night Football and the NBA.

I'm sure there would be people that would be willing to pay now that I think about it.

Btw, this is awesome but let's see what Microsoft does this generation and what partnerships they get.

Microsoft is adding an HDMI in to the Xbox One and making a Halo web series with Spielberg. That's about as much as they can "innovate" right now.

Have you not seen Titanfall?

JABEE

I thought that was considered a pay wall and this service should be free like netflix? o_O.
You have to pay extra for Netflix? Also, as mentioned below, this won't be free and will be a separate service from Plus most likely. It's going to be a part of Sony Televisions and mobile as well.

Gorillaz

I thought that was considered a pay wall and this service should be free like netflix? o_O.

Lol this shit won't be free.

However it shouldn't have taken a company like Sony, who already has it's hands in the television and film cooke jar, this long to try something.

Microsoft is adding an HDMI in to the Xbox One and making a Halo web series with Spielberg. That's about as much as they can "innovate" right now.

Have you not seen Titanfall?

Titanfall looks amazing! Am I the only one? Wait...guess I am. Also, I'm a sucker for Mechs.

I don't think he means exclusive just make a deal with them.

It wouldn't be cheap. Sports are what keeps cable running. The NFL alone receives $3B a year from the main networks. They get cash to pay the NFL through advertising and charging the cable providers who pass it down the customer. The cable providers are willing to part with the higher fees per user because most of their customer base will continue to pay a high fee under the subscription structure giving them a solid revenue base.

For any deal to work, the networks must be able to run all of their own advertising on IPTV while charging Sony a hefty subscription fee. If Sony says no ads, then the networks will have to determine how much they will lose on advertising and then adjust the price upwards.

You have to pay extra for Netflix? Also, as mentioned below, this won't be free and will be a separate service from Plus most likely. It's going to be a part of Sony Televisions and mobile as well.
Only on the 360 lol...but the Irony about this whole situation is clear.

You won't get away with anything. If cable tv is marginalized then internet cable bills will just go up.

Exactly. The only reason Verizon Fios exists is because they needed a reason to get people to let them put fiber into their house. A lot of the Telecoms would love it if cable died, well except Comcast. Whether it is cable or internet, they need to support the same infrastructure which is obscenely expensive. Removing the need to pay the content providers would be a god-send to them.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Everybody hates Microsoft for talking about the hardware and how it interacts with the TV.

Everybody hates Microsoft when they show games for the Xbox One at E3.

Everybody Loves Sony for Talking about Games and then more Games and then TV.

Everybody forgets that Sony is a multinational corporation with different policies.

Anybody Remember Vevo? Guess who was one of the main backers of that program. Sony Music. You wana talk about DRM and taking down videos?

I love pre console launches, they're about as bad as the Elections here in the US.

lol A good bit of you in this thread really need to drop the confirmation bias fast. Shit is getting out of hand now.

avaya

Hulu is not ambitious enough. As a consumer you really don't want them to go down that route if you want price competition....

That idea is fraught with anti-trust issues. However, as a media owning conglomerate, Sony has a headstart, it remains to be seen as to whether they can exploit it. With the hostile shareholder action, they might just do it.

Figured as much on the anti-trust side. Regarding Sony...Stringer had better contacts/relationships with the studios and media moguls, but they didn't really gain anything out of it. Remains to be seen what Hirai will do.

Sony should have stopped supporting PS3 like MS did with 360. They would not only have Killzone Shadowfall, Knack and Drive Club for launch. They could have had The Last of Us, Beyond, Puppeteer, Rain, Gran Turismo 6, God of War Ascention and etc all in time for PS4 launch. Hell what the fuck are Naughty Dog , Media Molecule, Santa Monica doing, yes they are perobably making PS4 games for 2014, but launch is more important, they should have released all their top games for launch even though PS4 will sell enough witrh Killzone, Knack and Drive Club as well as 3rd party games at launch.

How is that a good move? Microsoft has almost nothing of big exclusives for the 360 this year (the lineup is pathetic, like sony's in 2012) and they just backed out of launching the X1 in 8 countries this year.

satam55

Banned
Seriously people here think an online-only pay for live TV service is more mainstream and important than the ability for people to continue to use whatever pay TV service they have right now?

I'm not saying the service has no value to some people, but the idea that this is a master stroke is hysterical. Microsoft sold it's IPTV stuff recently to Ericsson and gave up on this type of thing. Makes more sense to just let people continue to use their current service and augment/overlay/control that experience. Also less likely to piss off media conglomerates by not competing directly with them.

This will allow Sony to subsidize the entire price of a PS4/PS Camera bundle for new customers.

satam55

Banned
How is that a good move? Microsoft has almost nothing of big exclusives for the 360 this year (the lineup is pathetic, like sony's in 2012) and they just backed out of launching the X1 in 8 countries this year.

Sony's 2012 exclusive line-up is WAY BETTER than this year's 360 exclusive line-up.

Top Bottom