• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony tweets "Portable Gaming Perfection"

Volume of games comparable to other Playstation video game consoles. The Playstation brand has always had the best of both worlds: 1st party support to supplement 3rd party games. The Vita, unfortunately, isn't getting the usual Playstation support that other systems in the family historically received.

I don't own a Vita, but I definitely am getting the Vita slim when it's released to support dedicated handhelds. But I'm somewhat concerned about Sony's attitude towards the little gem and it's outlook for 2015 onward.

SCEJ supports it just fine.

impact

Banned
Does Dave know about this yet?

Dave is probably the guy in this picture

duo_gamer.jpg

Naminator

Banned
Nvidia Shield is
almost
portable gaming perfection!
772_0.jpg

The Shield currently has:
- Excellent audio (extremely loud with decent bass)
- Excellent controls (though I would prefer the Xbox stick layout)
- Excellent hardware CPU/GPU/memory inside/build quality (visuals easily surpass Vita and almost all phone/tablet visual horsepower)
- Good supply of great fun to play games (the number of controller supported android games just keep coming)

What it needs to achieve this state IMO:
- Slighty larger screen (currently 5inch, needs at least a 6inch screen) | I would personally like to see a screen with a small bezel rather than a larger screen.
- Reduction is weight and bulk (30-50% less weight, size currently feels close to the Xbox fat controller) | Yup
- Rumble in the controller and haptic feedback in the screen | NOPE, just would add needless bulk and cost for features that would be barely used and just drain battery
- True console quality visuals (Can anyone say Tegra K1 !!)

Yeah I'm waiting for Shield 2 right now, no point in jumping on the Shield Train this late.

Nvidia Shield is
almost
772_0.jpg

- Excellent hardware CPU/GPU/memory inside/build quality (visuals easily surpass Vita and almost all phone/tablet visual horsepower)
- Good supply of great fun to play games (the number of controller supported android games just keep coming) and did I mention that you can basically play all Steam controller supporting games (via streaming) through this thing!

- Slighty larger screen (currently 5inch, needs at least a 6inch screen)
- Reduction is weight and bulk (30-50% less weight, size currently feels close to the Xbox fat controller)
- Rumble in the controller and haptic feedback in the screen
- True console quality visuals (Can anyone say Tegra K1 !!!)

Bring on the Shield 2...

ToWxOOrT-510x287.jpg

Use 360 controller or DualShock 4, or do spreadsheets.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Volume of games comparable to other Playstation video game consoles. The Playstation brand has always had the best of both worlds: 1st party support to supplement 3rd party games. The Vita, unfortunately, isn't getting the usual Playstation support that other systems in the family historically received.

I don't own a Vita, but I definitely am getting the Vita slim when it's released to support dedicated handhelds. But I'm somewhat concerned about Sony's attitude towards the little gem and its outlook for 2015 onward.

Here's the thing. In the Vita's first year they supported the system just fine. They released a number of killer first party titles on the thing but nobody gave a shit. If people wanted Sony to continue to support the Vita then they should have bought the fucking thing. Sony has simply come to the realisation that the masses aren't going to care about the system whether they support it or not, so they aren't going to waste resources on it. Don't blame Sony. Blame everyone who refused to buy one when they were supporting it.

It's pretty obvious at this point that SCEA and SCEE have given up on Vita; the former after the 2012 holidays, the latter after the 2013 holidays. Not in the literal, absolute sense, but in that they've resigned themselves to its status as a niche platform and are no longer making anything resembling a credible effort to drive hardware sales.

Nvidia Shield is
almost
772_0.jpg

- Excellent hardware CPU/GPU/memory inside/build quality (visuals easily surpass Vita and almost all phone/tablet visual horsepower and the build quality in great (buttons feel solid, device can be dropped from 5-10 feet)
- Excellent battery life (Lasts 7-12 hours and potentially even longer depending on use and setup (screen brightness, audio volume, streaming or running native games on Tegra, web surfing only)
- Good supply of great fun to play games (the number of controller supported android games just keep coming) and did I mention that you can basically play all Steam controller supporting games (via streaming) through this thing!

- Slighty larger screen (currently 5inch, needs at least a 6inch screen)
- Reduction is weight and bulk (30-50% less weight, size currently feels close to the Xbox fat controller)
- Rumble in the controller and haptic feedback in the screen
- True console quality visuals (Can anyone say Tegra K1 !!!)

All I can say is bring on the Shield 2!

I'm glad the Shield exist because thanks to it I can do the same thing on my smartphone with a controller of my choice without spending $250.

Sony makes tablets too...all they are doing here is advertising that as to why theirs are great. This is from Sony corp, not Sony Computer Entertainment. It's kind of like if Sony corp said their new Xperia Z2 is great for games...when that is their new big smartphone.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
It's amusing to see tweets like these go out from time to time.

I picture some intern just doing their job, not realizing they just publicly undermined the value of one of their company's biggest gaming products.

Top Bottom